Terrapin Big Hoppy Monster - Terrapin Beer Company

Georgia, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Imperial Red Ale.

(Beer added by: rajendra82 on 10-09-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Big Hoppy Monster Alström Bros
4.63/5  rDev +14%

After a few months wait I am finally getting around to this one. This was received via the 80's BIF. Thanks for the chance Walter!

This beer is listed as an amber but as I pour it into a Berkshire pint glass the color reminds me more of a ruby or a mahogany instead and it looks so enticing. There isn't much foam on this, maybe a thin layer that settles after the pour. After a few minutes time all the foam subsides and a very thin ring coats the outside rim of the glass. To say that this beer smells sweet is a vast understatement! There is a very prominent character of crystal malt in addition to caramel and bread notes. I was expecting the hops to dominate the profile yet instead they seem non-existent. I'm not sure how old this particular bottle is so maybe the hops aroma wore off. With the first sip of this beer I fell in love with the huge malt flavor. Somewhere in the middle there is a very delicious flavor of dark fruits and a finish of a sweet alcohol. This kind of reminds me of a weaker BSDA. The mouthfeel is very creamy and full with a moderately low amount of carbonation. Very drinkable as I did not want it to end. This was definitely worth the wait!

I really need to find more of this beer, it's excellent!

4.63/5  rDev +14%

Vintage 2011- scored this while in Florida, early July.
Pours a deep amber, lush thick-finger of a head. Particles of varying size are visible floating in my glass.
Smells fresh and piney, some floral.
Wow nice hoppy bite and thick tasting beer, immediately it balances out with the malt finish. Not usually a fan of "red" ales, but this one certainly is tasting fine. Whatever is going on here to meld the caramel and hop presence is doing it extremely well.
Again this is thick, and the hop bitterness sticks out again, blended well but never to go unnoticed, carbonation great, finishes nicely.
I think I realize why I like this compared with other reds I've tasted: It was sweet just right. I like this type of beer sweet. And it also doesn't hurt that it's somewhat reminiscent of a big IPA. Paired well with a small bowl of ground beef seasoned Mexican-style.  I expected something different, and I wish I had purchased second bottle to try aging this a bit.

4.63/5  rDev +14%

During my weekly trek to Abe's Cold Beer in Bethlehem I was thrilled to see they'd restocked on some beers I'd missed out on the past few weeks. One of those was Big Hoppy Monster, my third from the recently arrived Terrapin Beer Co.

Appearance: Lovely dark reddish-brown body with a plump, light beige head that stuck around and left good lacing.

S: Loads of pine, citrus, and dark caramel which are all very well balanced.

T: Starts with a nice dark toffee/ caramel which is then quickly followed by a lovely floral, pine, and citrus support. Very well balanced in the finish with a very healthy yet subtle hop presence.

M: Medium-bodied with goodcarbonation, a very smooth drinker.

D: Quite a brew for my third fantastic experience with Terrapin (Coffee Oatmeal and Depth Charge being the other two). After a series of good red ales, this one definitely set the standard in my book (though I still prefer Nugget Nectar in the Amber Style). This was an incredibley flavorful, balanced, and smooth drinking beer, a true tour de force. Go out and get this brew immediately.

A vintage 2009 12 oz bottle pored into a terrapin pint glass

A - a cloudy dark amber red. It looks creamy, with a nice head and lace retention.

A - very sweet. Caramel malts overwhelm here. Citrus hops are very present too. Smells amazing

T - Like it smells, the sweets malts are very upfront. Caramel, toffee malts kick in hard and fast. It is then balanced out by the hops. Surpringly, it is not as hoppy as I expected. The hops compliment the crystal malts perfectly.

M - Medium bodied and lightly carbonated. Very smooth.

D - very high drinkability. This is one of my favorite beers, and is the one that turned me onto Terrapin. One of my favorite releases that I look forward too every year!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2005 addition. Been waiting awhile to try this one. Excited but want to try the '06 soon.

What can I say? This is a damn good looking beer. Opaque amber, big and mean looking. An off white bubbly, frothy head holds it's weight and leaves a sticky thin viscous lace down the glass.

Big caramel malt prescence with a floral somewhat piney hop aroma. Toffee and fig also present. This is one that is hard to take your nose out of.

Okay I would like to try this fresh. It is more malty than hoppy although the hop flavor are prominent and delicious. Caramel and toffee malts coat the palate and lead to a bitter, thick floral hop ending. Finish is mediocre but very satisfying. It's been a rainy, dreary day here and this beer is about perfect for the weather. Fall is here; bring on the fall beer.

Thick mouthcoating malt and bittering resiny hops. Can I please have another?

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to NCSUdo for this.
2007 edition
Pours a clear deep amber ruby(truly beautiful color) with a nice creamy head which leaves generous lacing

First whiff is amazing. Grapefruit and pine hops backed up by sweetness from the malts and a hint of alcohol.

Taste is nicely balanced. Sweet from caramel malts with fruity and bittering hops. Alcohol warmth in the finish. Just an incredible amount of flavor and nice smooth mouthfeel, light on carbonation.

I honestly wish I had traded for a case because I would love to drink this as frequently as possible. A bit too much alcohol to make a session beer, but I would not mind drinking this every day.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I volunteered at the 3rd Annual Georigia Craft Brew Challenge, and my primary task over the course of the evening was to serve this baby up to festival attendees. Of course i got to enjoy a fair bit of it myself. I'm a lucky man.

This is a beautiful "Imperial Red Ale." Dark ruby red. Thick malty backbone supporting a huge hoppiness. In spite of high ABV and intense hopping, i thought it was quite smooth and drinkable. I picked up quite a few bottles of this at Green's and i'm glad i'll be able to enjoy it for a while to come.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a deep red with a thick, sticky, off-white head. Looks very inviting. First smell is hop oil - floral and a little piney, with a caramel sweet malt backing.

Taste and mouthfeel are fantastic -- heavy caramel and biscuit malt profile are perfect counterpoint to big hop presence. The finish is delightfully bitter and each sip begs the next.

This is a surprisingly drinkable brew given the intense flavors and high ABV, but every time I have had one I have felt compelled to open a second.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

Thanks to 1HopMonster for grabbing me this one right after its release, I'm a big fan of freshness.
A beautiful clear, reddish beer with very nice carbonation and loads of lacing. Mostly what I smell is hops. The taste is very well balanced for something with such a strong hop aroma, pleasant surprise. It's a very sweet and citrusy flavor and the body is full but not over the top. There is a nice mellow bitterness on the tongue in the finish as well as a light bitter-sweet flavor that lingers, not at all cloying however. This just seems too light for something listed at 8%. I mean with no hint of alcohol in the aroma or taste this becomes a very dangerously drinkable beer.
OK... although I didn't score this all 5's, I should add that I find it to be an exceptionally well crafted beer and without any sensory flaws, freshness is the key to this.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Dusky cherry with luminous, rose colored edges; an absolutely gorgeous color that is more consistent with an Imperial Red (as the brewery claims) than a DIPA. The golden beige head is beginning to melt like a milkshake in the midday sun. An impressive amount of sea foam lace is arrayed on the glass, with more sure to follow at low tide.

The nose is outstanding. It's mega-hoppy (grapefruit peel and pine sap) with no shortage of caramel malt (brown sugar). The hop bill consists of Ahtanum, Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe and Magnum... an absolutely killer lineup if I've ever seen one. Those boys at Terrapin know their hops and they love to use them with reckless abandon.

This is amazingly delicious beer. Not that I doubted it for a second (I've been a Terrapin fan ever since I tasted Rye P.A.). Big Hoppy Monster, in addition to being true to its name, is true to the Imperial Red style. There probably isn't much difference between this beer and a DIPA, but I still think it's a valid distinction.

The malt backbone is Mastadon huge and provides loads of sweet, sticky toffee pudding-like flavor. That's usually a negative in my book since all that malt tends to get in the way of the hop flavor and bitterness. Not so here. There's such a massive hop load that their flavor and bitterness survive unscathed.

There's no way to pick out the contributions from the various hops. Pink grapefruit juice leads the way, followed closely by sticky spruce juice. Since Ahtanum is similar to Cascade, there isn't one of these hops that I don't love. It still takes skill to combine them in the creation of a tongue-ruffling, ass kicking beer and Terrapin has shown how it can and should be done.

The finish is so long the flavor doesn't fade completely by the next sip. Of course, it doesn't have a chance since the sips are coming fast and furious. If there's any beer that begs to be released in bombers, this is it. Make that wax-dipped 750s. Given the massive quantity of ingredients, how could the mouthfeel be anything less than fantastically full and lush?

Big Hoppy Monster is big, it's hoppy and it's a (hop) monster of truly epic proportions. The label states that it's the 'inaugural brew' of the Terrapin Monster Beer Tour. Let's hope that doesn't mean it'll only be brewed once. It deserves to be a regular release so that hopheads will never be without one of the boldest and hoppiest beers the South has yet produced.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

I am new to BIG beers and this is only the second DIPA I've had. I was exspecting a hop bomb, like the other DIPA I had, but this was more balanced. I'm not a big hop-head so this was a pleasant surprise. This bottle is from the 2006 series so maybe it has mellowed with age. Pours dark amber lacing clings to the sides like its life depended on it. Smell is more malty, almost resembles a Maibock. Taste is very balanced and I have a hard time with picking out all the flavors, but it is just really good. Frightenly drinkable, probably good they only come in 4-packs.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

This was one of my favorites at the Classic City Brewfest, I enjoyed many samples. It is a mahogany colored brew yielding a thick, frothy puff of oatmeal hued head. lacing is adequate and hangs on the glass like moss.

Aroma is big and powerful, brimming with juicey citrus and pine-drenched florals. There's an underlying caramel-sweetness to it backing up the hops. A very impressive nose on this one.

Oh yeah, it's all good in the flavor dept! Lots of sticky orange and tangerine, delicate florals, and sappy pinecones. It is expertly balanced with a semi-sweet, caramel and honey malt overload. This is a perfect example of the style here, and so balanced!

The mouthfeel is full, creamy, and absolutely mouth-coating. Flavors continue to roll around on you tongue long after you've taken your last sip. I sure do hope that I'll run into this one again some day!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Body is a deep red with mahogany tones. Tantalizing ruby red glow and soapy soft vanilla pudding colored head. Great lasting retention and sticky, endlessly clinging lace. Looking good. As I pour it, delightful hops already flood my nose. Sticky pine resin and citrus are held together by substantial smooth, sweet biscuity and caramel malts. Very well blended. The full elongated maltiness creates a solid layer for this hop extravaganza. Very yummy and layered. Mouthfeel is fantastic. Velvety smooth, softly coating, with light chewiness. Always good when you think you're eating beer instead of drinking it... The fullish medium body is not real thick but I find myself constantly swirling it around. A pleasure to drink.

This will enter my fridge again someday.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap and in bottle. I really preferred it in a bottle!! The aroma is slightly malty (but wait) a huge, heavy hop smell: flowers, pine resin, grapefruit, and pineapple. Smells very similar to Middle Ages 10th annniversary. Head is creamy, off-white, that fully diminished. Body is clear reddish-brown. Intitial flavor is moderately sweet and lightly bitter. The initial taste is hoppy, but wait, the malt really comes through later. Carbonation is soft/flat with a light alcoholic finish. This is really an outstanding brew, as are all Terrapin beers. Unfortunatley, this may be a one-time bottling. This is most definitely NOT the 5 Seasons version of Big Hoppy Monster.

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

"2005 Beer Tour" bottle provided by GCBrewingCO. Thanks for the opportunity. Pours a full finger of light brown head over a nearly clear red-brown liquid. Smells piney and woody. Dry with tangerine fiber and orange oils.

Tastes delicous. Light fruits with cream malt sweet dominate over the hoppy bitter and flavor. Oxidation sour and strong orange flavor from hops. Strawberry and pear esters. Malt is wet, likely because the mouthfeel is thick and hold something on the tongue after the swallow. Co-humulone is mild, but of notice. Aftertaste has some alcohol burn (quite clean of fusels) and fruity cherry with minimal cherry sour. Grassy hop are noticable. Woody dry in the aftertaste plays well on the sweet. Caramel and crystal sugary.

This beer tastes fantastic. The aftertaste is lingering sweet delicious! Thick and very dextrinous mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation is perfect. What a fantastic treat!

Tasted on 11.01.06
As a starting note, I'm reviewing an 06 and then a year old 05 right after. I'll be drinking water the whole time to keep my palate clean and have quite a bit between reviews. Also, the ratings above are based on the 06 and are in no way influenced by the 05 despite the references in the review.

Deep rich red in color. There's a quarter inch light tan head with thin lacing down the snifter and a one or two minute retention. There's an attactive swirl of thin head that stays atop the beer during consumption.

Big munich malt nose. This one almost smells like a weak barleywine? I really don't remind this at all from last year. It was a lot hoppier last year from what I can remember. There's a fruity hop hint but it's not the huge citrusy Centennial smell that was so prevalent and delicious last year. Still not a bad nose.

Rich malty taste with hints of leather and roasted nuts. There's a tiny hop bite but not nearly as much as something I used to classify as an American Double IPA. I feel like the Terrapin bottle is closer with Imperial Red. The palate is still very dry and bitter from hops. It's not bad at all just not what I remembered/expected.

Terrapin 05 BHM Tasted 10.31.2006

Gorgeous mahogany brew topped by a razor thin head with little retention but again a thin swirl of lace atop.

WHOA! This beer had a huge nose last year but it was all sweet fruity hops. It's definitely arguable that this one has improved over the year it's been in the cellar. Big boozy nose and a heavy barleywine like malt nose. There's virtually no hops left in the beer. Instead there's a very sweet hard candy and almost watered down bourbon smell. Enough smelling, let's take a sip.

Immense flavors not unlike those mentioned above with a notable appearance by some raisiny characteristics.

This beer has definitely taken a turn for the better. I just wish I had a few more of these left over from last year.

Much thanks go out to Leftmindedrighty for this one. 2006 vintage

A_Pouts a rich vibrant reddish brown with a thick soapy two fingered head. Lacing is extremely good. Clings to the sides of the glass.

S-Still a lot of citric hops come through in the nose even after one year. There is also a very sticky sweet caramel malt component as well. The odour is palpable here, very good. Slight bit of acohol is the only thing I could do without

T-Sweet caramel roasted malt hits upon first sip. The citric hops then cut through with a great bitterness to juxtapose against the sweet malt. This is one big and tasty beer. There is some warming from the % as you know this is a strong brew. Well balanced between sweet and bitter.

M-Slightly on the thicker side, a little syrupy with the perfect ammount of carboation

D-This is a beer I will actively seek out again. Strikes me as somewhere in the Dogfishhead 90 Minute and Stone's Double Bastard. Very well done.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: It's a very deep cherry-red color with a thick, creamy beige head that settles slowly. Retention is solid and the lacing is almost solid all the around the glass.

S: Nose is super--lots of grapefruit/citrus and pine with strong caramel and a sugary sweet note. Intense, bold, and big. This beer smells absolutely fantastic.

T&M: It's big, but a very gentle monster. The hops don't slap you across the face, but that's only because of the massive and awesome malt backbone. Pine and citrus are showcased nicely, but the sugary-sweet, candied, and caramel malt flavor is so big that it complements the hops supremely. The finish is long and sticky-sweet. Body is full-ish with a refined carbonation and a slightly oily feel. This one really fills your mouth out well and gushes flavor. I think the feel contributes to the overall flavor very well.

D: For how big it is, I put it down really quick. I'm sad I only have 3 more of these--I'll be gunning for a case of it next fall. Strongly recommended, but watch out because the 8% plus ABV can sneak up in a hurry because you can't taste a drop of alcohol in this beer.

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

received this just today from bullywee in a pretty epic trade. Thanks again to a great BA!

"pretty damn dark" says jay... this is a DAMN good looking beer. hardly any light permeates the cherry red body of this thing. poured into a nice bulbous tulip glass, the bulk of it is spread pretty wide... but seriously... hold it to a light and it just turns a deep crimson. couple that with the light tan, frothy head that just keeps going, and the beautiful lace it leaves down the side... really, this is a beautiful beer. top marks, no question.

my ONLY gripe on smell is that it's a touch mild. this tulip should be adding to the aroma, but really... it's a bit faint. a touch hoppy and a touch caramelly sweet. what's there smells fantastic.

truly spectacular. starts off sweet and just a TOUCH citrusey. that quickly gives way to a huge dose of caramel. a decent helping of hops keep it just bitter enough, intensifying all the way until the end when a lovely breadiness introduces itself. this is really a great beer.

again wonderful. nice and full bodied. it's creamy start to finish, which I really enjoy. Though, I could see the thickness of this beer getting a bit tiring for the style. don't get me wrong, I really like it a lot... I could just see it getting rough after a few.

this is really, honestly one of the best beers I've had in quite a while. fully enjoyable from start to finish. I'll be working on getting some more very soon!

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

12oz bottle with 2005 on the neck, a different label too.. this one shows a turtle behind the wheel of a convertible truck cab. a hippopatomus shaped cloud looms over his shoulder. i digress.

orgasmically phenomenal.

deep red and thick despite its translucense, BHM settles with sticky, pastry-like foam and attached lace arms. nose creates a spicy balance between citrusy hops, molasses, and the charred wood smell of a fireplace burning real wood. perfectly carbonated with just the right hop blend to leave the right amount of green film on my teeth.. no chalkiness. drinkable in its lightness but heavy enough to feel substantial. first sting is the green botanical leaf of a hop.. resinous, with alcohol intertwined in the kick. settles into a fizzy malt that leaves unripe fruits behind.. starchy green banana and crabapple. overall best described as a fruit salad medley of citrus and sweeter fruits.. layered coyly with sadism and a wink of the eye. boy this is a terrific brew.. one that i will not see the likes of again anytime soon. kicks the pants off lagunitas' imperial red ale by leaps and bounds.

gotta get me down to terrapin country!

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

Got this fall release via trade, Thanks cashew70. Enjoying this Big Hoppy, with the smoke'n hot rod label, watch'n talla-nascar.

It pours a nice dark ruby red. The head wasn't comm'n to life so I poured alittle harder. A three-quarter inch tan head was formed. Nice retention, nice ring type lace.

The aroma is more sweet malts than hop. Hints of molasses and brown sugar.

The taste is of sweet roasted malts. molasesses, some hop bitterness, carmalized brown sugar, caramel and alcohol. A hint of pepper and spice finish this brew.

The mouth is so smooth. its full bodied, chewy,
bread like, no syrup, with a nice alcohol note from start to finish.

Drinkability, oh ya. very smooth, goes well with food. Not so hoppy to distroy the palate, but more alcohol notes than the name implies. Get some if you can, very nice.

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured well with a minimal amount of cream head atop a golden amber-colored brew. The hoppy aroma blasts out of the pint, very piney with hints of caramel. Makes the mouth water...

The taste is truly great. It's tangy, and the hops hit the tongue well without overwhelming the senses. Notes of herbs here, perhaps barley? The mouthfeel is quite smooth for a double IPA, almost glassy on the tongue with a low carbonation. I could easily have three to four of these without getting bored with the taste/smell/drinkability.

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

Clear crimson hue, solid slab of creamy off-whitish foam above, slim but staying...

Aroma: wide-open, huge flowering of piney hop aromatics, just the kind I love! Grapefruit, and other citrus are at play, but pine needles are largest in the overall profile...sweet, and slightly bitter, stuff here! Very nice! I could just smell
his and smell this all day long! Rich, resiny, resonant.

Taste, already...bitter, but extra-sweet and fruity, a huge expansion in the mouth, a blast on the senses...a fierce delivery of flavor...huge, immense...big and beautiful...humbling...delicious...wonderful play on the tongue, bitterness, fruit, and more, keeping the senses busy with all the flavors at the ready.

Full-bodied, incredibly flavored, assuredly pleasurable for hopheads like me...dang it, but this is great stuff!
Let all hopheads know that they must bow to the direction of Athens once in awhile,too...and genuflect to the folks at Terrapin. This is amazing stuff!

"truly unique in taste in complexity", says the label. Well, I've had other beers like this, but they're so few and far between that it's useful to recognize each one that comes cross our path.

A humdinger from the Peach State! Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Original Review 10/2008 - Got an especially fresh 4-pack of this while I was up in Athens from Five Points.

Pours a completely clear, dark ruby color with a one-finger tan head. The head sticks around for a while before dissipating into a wispy layer of bubbles on top and a medium-sized ring around the glass. Not much lacing, but I'm very impressed by the color.

Smells good. Big floral hop aroma up front that's joined by mild citrus and sweet malt smells. As the beer warms the sweet malt gets more robust, and near the end of the beer there's a faint smell of alcohol.

Tastes good. Big sweet malt taste followed shortly by a piney flavor and ending in a solid amount of bitterness. The sweet malt gains steam as the beer warms, but the bitterness is constant. There's just the mildest hint of the alcohol.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a very good thickness, and the carbonation is just intense enough. It goes down very smoothly.

Drinkability is great. I could easily drink a ton of these - it goes down so easily.

Overall this beer lives up to the name, but it's not too over the top. I'm looking forward to partaking in one of the supposed Oak Aged kegs of this. However, oak aged or not, this one is definitely worth your time and money.

EDIT: Four-pack from Green's on Ponce - This year's smells and tastes as though there are even more hops than previously, bumping both up a notch. Great job by Terrapin.

Terrapin Big Hoppy Monster from Terrapin Beer Company