Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,229 | Hads: 3,619
3.97/5  rDev -6.1%

Enjoyed while at the brewery in Athens, ga. Jet black with no light getting through. Thin almost non-existent head and no lacing. Aroma is pretty much like smelling a handful of ground coffee. Because of this I can't pick up much else. More coffee in the taste which is also dominating but I love coffee so that is fine fr my taste but may be overwhelming for others. Some milk chocolate notes throughout. Mediun to thick body and moderate carbonation. Fairly drinkable if u like coffee. (487 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Large thick tan head and black as night color. There are coffee, choclate, roasted vanilla beans all over this nose. The taste starts with the aroma and then is dominated by the smooth oatmeal and COFFEE flavor. The body is heavy and there is a bit of bitterness both from the hops and the coffee. A nice night cap or vacation starter, but after one you probably won't be back soon. (418 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -6.1%

Opaque in body with little cinnamon head. Aroma of coffee, chocolate, cinnamon, pie crust. Chocolate, coffee beans, roast, burnt bread, slight raisin towards the finish, tang/sweet tobacco aftertaste. Heavy bodied with medium carbonation. A bit cola-like. Some astringent flavors come through. (293 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -6.4%

Bottle received as part of a trade with Blazer 06 and tried alongside a Brooklyn BCS. Notes from 12/29/08:

Beer pours jet black with very little head. There is a slight coffee colored froth around the edge of the glass.

The scent is dominated by coffee. I am reminded of the Ibarra Coffee Buzz porter (which I did not particularly like). The oatmeal is very subtle. For me, this was the weakest aspect of the beer.

The beer is really nice tasting. The coffee is there, but taste is not nearly as strong as the smell. I may be out of my mind, but I swear I taste marshmallows. While it tastes great, I do not find it terribly complex.

Beer is effervescent and thicker than the BBCS.

Drinkability is enhanced by the fact that I am a coffee drinker - a non-coffee drinker might struggle with this. The beer is also not too sweet, which is a huge positive.

I really enjoyed this beer and wish I could get some more. I also badly want to try some other things from Terrapin. Proud, as someone who lived in Athens for 4 years, to see an Athens brewery producing some great stuff. (1,080 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -6.4%

Aromas are pretty much as advertised. Aroma is almost all roast coffee, oatmeal and hints of cocoa and malt. But the coffee is the star for sure; not just shwag run of the mill coffee but quality roasted beans.

This brew tastes as it smells with a truck load of fresh roasted coffee, oatmeal and chocolate malt. Some mild bitterness, but it seems to be more from the coffee than anything else.

The mouthfeel is quite heavy on the tongue. Quite thick and undercarbonated. Almost syrupy but not. Carbonation is quite pronounced at the end of the sip.

Overall I like this beer a lot. It has probably the most pronounce coffee taste I've had in a beer to date. As I mentioned though I wouldn't drink many in one sitting for just that reason. All that being said, I'd gladly drink another. (787 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -6.4%

One word: Thickness. As in lots of it. As in the best tasting motor oil you'll ever put into your mouth. Chalk it up to the flaked barley in addition to the oatmeal. The flavor is subdued, especially for the style. The alcohol is up front, but it's an imperial, right? I have to concentrate to really get all the coffee flavor, and it seems to really show up in the after taste more than up front.

Definitely worth the price and if they brewed it year-round I'd keep it in stock, hell, if they sold it around here I'd probably stock up in the winter to have year-round. (571 characters)

Photo of
3.96/5  rDev -6.4%

12oz bottle courtesy of bobbyc881.

Poured an opaque, black fluid. Holding up to light reveals nothing. Modest head the color of coffee with 2 creamers. As I was nearing the bottom, it finally showed itself as clear and dark mahogany in color.

Aroma was enticing. Chocolate, alcohol, dark fruits (raisins & cherries). Initially, little, if any, coffee scent. This did pick up with some warmth.

Coffee definately present in the taste. Comes through most strongly in aftertaste, and fades some as you drink. Alcohol is there as well, but doesn't club you. Fairly sweet, initially - vanilla, molasses and fruit. Roast flavors are pretty mild. Maybe some licorice. Finally, a bit of pepper at finish.

Medium - heavy in mouthfeel. Low carbonation. Fairly dry, this builds as you drink it. Smooth and creamy, may have more carbonation than it appears.

Surprisingly easy to drink. Not sessionable, but you could certainly do a couple-three without investing hours of your time. Very good, I enjoyed immensley. (1,016 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -6.4%

Overwhelming in a good way.
This beer poured slow, and was pitch black in color. The head was medium sized, but brown, with small bubbles. Looked beautiful!
Smell was strong milk chocolate, melted, as you might find it in a candy store, with a touch of earthiness.
Flavor had some harshness to it at first, but it was really too cold. After warmning, it was nice. Coffee, strong and black, with a sugar sweetness/chocolate underlying that. The back of the mouth was a sharp hop flavor, a bit too strong, but also a burnt flavor that nearly makes up for it. Almost smoky, but not exactly. A few moments later, a chocolate/cocoa aftertaste shows up, lovely.
Mouthfeel is medium to thick. Little to no carbonation but smooth all the way down.
Drinkability is a mixed bag. I would definitely buy more of this beer, but I would not have more than 2 in a row, maybe not even a second one. It's a strong one!

cheers... (920 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a thick black with a very thin tan head into a Unibroue tulip glass. A fine start for an imperial stout.

Aroma contains the obvious coffee notes with a touch of sweetness. Nothing overwhelming in this department.

Flavor is a nice balance of full body and a touch of coffee. Coffee is a compliment to the rich malty flavor. The oatmeal aspect of this plays very well giving it the body to stand up to the coffee. Very impressed.

A low but adequate level of carbonation.

Aroma as it warms over 30 minutes looses coffee and becomes more pronounced with the roasted malt.

An imperial stout that delivers. Exceptionally well balanced and I look forward to trying these over 2-4 years. (695 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance - Poured in to a Dogfish signature snifter. Pours a deep dark black. Head is dark brown to burgundy that fades rather quickly. Small ring of lace at top of beer but nothing much.

Smell - Overpowering coffee, can't smell hardly anything else. A little bit of molasses and earthy hops.

Taste - This is a great beer for its style. Coffee all the way. There is no question about it. Coffee upfront, dark roast sweet malt behind. Finishes a little warm in comparison to some of the other imperial coffees.

Mouthfeel - Nice and creamy. Not too thick and has a good level of carbonation. Covers the whole palate.

Drinkability - I would definitely trade for this one again. It is a solid beer for a late brunch or early lunch. Looking forward to the other 3 I received!

Cheers (786 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Mocha head, black opaque body. Good lacing and head retention.

Smells like a sweetened black cup of iced coffee. Some coco, roasted malts, dark roasted coffee.

Tastes like a big iced bitter black roasted coffee. Fairly creamy and chocolately.

Medium bodied, low carbonation. Fairly creamy and thick feeling while still being fairly drinkable.

Overall this is a tasty coffee stout. Alcohol is well masked and drinkability fairly high. Good complexity with the roast, coffee and chocolate flavors.

$Thanks tommy for this 4 pack (531 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

A - Dark brown in color, full khaki head with decent retention and lacing

S - roasted coffee beans and dark chocolate

T - dark roasted coffee all over, decent bitter chocolate taste that could be more prominent, nice hoppy finish

M - medium bodied, could use a little more umph. good carbonation and clean finsih

D - good taste, well hidden abvs, could have another (369 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Trade on DLD, no idea who I acquired this from, but thanks!

Pours an opaque black, no light gets through, huge and thick brown head forms, few lace spots, good retention, sttles to a thin layer, nice! Smell is sweet, toffee, very roast, coffee/chocolate, rich, some light fruits, more coffee, just what I like! Taste is very nice, toffee, chocolate roast, rich coffee, more roast, oatmeal touch, chocolate bitterness in the finish, nice. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with high carbonation. Not sure if this is a weird bottle but the carbonation is much too high for the style, better once it had some time to dissipate. Nice flavours though, I like this beer! (661 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

If you like flavored beers, then you have to try this. So many beers promise a certain flavor, but Terrapin really delivers this time. I wish I could have this for breakfast every morning.

It pours really dark, with a think creamy head. Has a pretty strong oatmeal, grain aroma.

I just wish I could find it more often. (321 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

The Monster Beer Tour rolls on....

I could not resist. This beer is labeled "Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout," and "Wake-n-Bake" clearly refers to breakfast, soo.. when my wife and I threw together an easy dinner consisting of "toad in the holes" (eggs cooked over medium in the middle of a cut-out piece of toast), bacon, and cheese grits, I had to crack open one of these puppies.

It poured rich black and of motor oil consistency. Not a trace of light could be found as I searched the edges of my snifter for any bit of color. The nearly nonexistent tan head dissipated quickly. The nose struck me as coffee-ish, with a dominant 70% cocoa dark chocolate aroma. Of course, the greasy food did nothing for the beer, though I will say the beer really brought out the delicate flavor of one of the eggs that was cooked "over hard", rather than "over medium." Surprising? Yeah. The flavor of the stuff was a virtual match of the aroma: Coffee with that super dark 70% cocoa chocolate.

A fruity booziness became prominent toward the end of the glass. Unfortunatly, I was hurried at the end, so I could not sip as slowly as I would have liked. This caused the drinkability to suffer some, but the Mouthfeel was smooth and very rich.

Next time, I'll pair this with some super-dark chocolate... and sip it verrry slowly... as I read the morning paper. (1,357 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

A - A dark, smoky stout. Lots of head, and nice head retention.

S - lots of coffee and alcohol. Wow, strong. Chocolate flavors prevalent too.

T - Coffee overwhelms. Deep roasted malts, kind of sweet. Very good beer.

M - Low carbonation, but smooth throughout.

D - It's good, but too strong to have another. However, nice aftertaste. But it will drop you if you are not careful and have more than one! (407 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Wake-n-bake poured from a brown, 12 oz. bottle with a large "Monster Beer Tour 2006" on the top label around the top of the bottle. The "Best if Enjoyed Before" date was not filled in.

The beer poured a dark, pitch black with a very quick, fizzy head that came and went. After pouring the beer, the top of the pour visibly undulated as the heavy carbonation bubbles hit the surface. The nose predominately featured heavily roasted malts mostly. This turtle's flavor was a smooth, chocolatey malt concoction with a dry hopped finish with an adequate amount of hoppiness. The amount of carbonation lifted the beer off the tongue and gave it a suprisingly light mouthfeel. The 8.1% alcohol was entirely hidden, and - if I had more than one of these - would be dangerous to keep around in a quantity beckoning me to kick these back all night long, but I would still like finding this beer, with its solid taste, with a lower amount of carbonation with its very good taste.

Thanks to pugman for this sample. (1,008 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2012 Vintage into Kuhnhenn tulip

Thanks LiquidDegenerate

Pour: A typical dark pour but the darkness on this one for some reason exudes a creaminess to me. A nice finger of chocolate milk colored head that is persistent.

Smell: Up front there is a nice coffee aroma that is neither bitter nor sweet. It is a great balanced coffee aroma with some of the typical players: chocolate, roasted malts, vanilla.

Taste: Like the nose with the coffee the main player and in the background chocolate, molasses, a touch of vanilla, and the roasted notes. I find it somewhat astringent and more bitter than I'd like. I find it actually somewhat artificial tasting.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied but a little let down because I find it a little too thin. It is creamy and smooth albeit a little astringent to me.

Overall: Can't help but to compare and I'd take Founders Breakfast Stout to this any day. Disappointed in this one to be honest. I like it but I'll stick with FBS, thanks. (983 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from bottle into Hoppin Frog snifter. Date on bottle is 2012. Date of review is 3/12/14.

Appearance- Pitch black with absolutely no light coming thru when held up to a bright light. Really beautiful dark tan half finger head sits on top of this beer.

Smell- Roasted malts and smoke jump right up into my nose holes. Sweet chocolate and slow-roasted beef come through too. Very little coffee, probably because of the 2 year aging.

Taste- Coffee with cream and sugar right away. It's just like drinking a delicious iced coffee from my local hipster coffee shop. I also detect sweet and sour cherries. Of course, there is still the roast and smoke too.

Mouthfeel- Just a bit thinner than I had expected. I get that chalky but pleasant film that has me believing I am drinking coffee.

Overall- The coffee has faded but still a very enjoyable beer. Not much else to say, does what it's supposed to do. (913 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -6.9%

Thinnish tan head, opaque dark brown body.

Smells like cold coffee with cream and sugar.

Tastes like cold coffee with cream and sugar. Very breakfast-able.

Not much carb here, but slightly fluffier than coffee.

I was warned, and disregarded those warnings. This is a good coffee stout. Though it is maybe 80% coffee and 20% stout. (334 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -6.9%

12 oz bottle w/ some awesome artwork, thanks to markgugs for the opportunity!

A: Almost black, with the slightest hints of brown when held up to the light. Nice foamy, creamy-looking brown head about an inch thick, and some gnarly carbonation.

S: Really stouty, fresh ground coffee and dark chocolate malts come through the most. REALLY stong, and just a rich nose in general.

T: Tastes like coffee with a bit of a beer flavor, rather than the other way around. Burnt malt kicks in there as well. Oatmeal and bitter, bitter chocolate follow the initial flavors. I have to say, I was a little disappointed by a lack of balance in this brew. It is an interesting flavor, and comes immediately to mind as a breakfast stout, but a little off in my eyes with the coffee overpowering the other flavors from the nose. A little change in tastes would make an ultimately more complex brew.

M: Smoooth. Really creamy and filling, but goes down without any stickiness or residue that you find in a lot of stouts, particularly imperials.

D: Quite drinkable, as it has a nice coffee taste and goes down oh-so-smoothly. Though I think that the taste could be shifted and balanced a little in my opinion, this is really worth a shot. (1,233 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -6.9%

Bottle. Poured a black color with a super-thick light-brown head. Light aroma of coffee and maybe some vanilla and hops too. Mouthfeel was okay, although more carbonation than I would have preferred. Flavor is pure coffee with a chocolatey finish to it. A pretty good impy stout, although not one of my favorites. (313 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

I'll start by saying that I'm reviewing this from the perspective of someone who loves coffee and is looking for a coffee-beer love child, even though that person is NOT me. I can appreciate what they are trying to do here, and it worked.

A - Black as the night, with a mocha head that goes on for days and laces my glass like mad.

S - Uh, coffee? Like crushed up coffee beans, fresh roasted black and stuffed up my nose.

T - More of the same, minus the nose bit. The oatmeal is lost here, but the thick smoothness of the Imperial Stout mixed with the sharp tang/bitterness of the coffee produces a unique flavor profile. I can't really think of anything to say but coffee. Coffee, coffee, coffee.

M - The reason I dinged it on mouthfeel is because it actually left some of that nasty coffee-mouth feeling in my gullet. I had to drink something else afterward to get out the taste.

Overall, coffee bomb. Bar none, the most coffee beer I've ever looked at let alone tasted. Not for me, but victory to Terrapin - they hit the nail on the head. (1,046 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

12oz bottle from Dopplelbockulus – Thanks Charley!
Notes taken 11-30-13 with my Sierra Nevada Balloon Glass

First time with this one…

A: Dark chocolate brown, not quite black even once collected in the glass. Looks dense and murky with not much head production. Very still with only a mere wisp of dark khaki that slides out to a collar with ease. Some oily legs paint the glass ever so slightly leaving behind only a few dots. A more aggressive pour yielded some better results here.

S: Dense with dark coffee roast and a touch of molasses. I get further into some toasted oats and other sweetened black grains with hints of brewers licorice as well. Really nice with some mild alcohol presence.

T: Black coffee roast with a higher than expected level of hoppy bitters. Nothing acrid but has a nice peppery hit. Blackened malts with toasted oat cereal, molasses, bakers chocolate, and cherry tobacco. Fairly robust and a touch sticky sweet with some alcohol intensity. Finishes up with some earthy minerals. Very nice coffee infused roast character here.

M: Semi thick body and definitely leaning on the heavier side but with a smooth and creamy consistency that gives a much lighter impression. Fairly bitter with some mild alcohol heat and sticky slickness on the finish.

D: Probably my favorite Terrapin brew thus far. Everything else I have tried from there has been a bit of a letdown for me. This is nice rich and roasty with good java character. Would accept as an extra anytime. (1,498 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

The beer pours a deep, dark black color with a thick frothy brown head that fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a dry, earthy scent that boasts of patent malt, and oatmeal. It does have a coffee aroma, but I'm not sure if it's just malts instead of coffee. The taste is good. It has a bold coffee flavor that goes down easy and finishes very dry and earthy with some warm and residual sweetness. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a pretty good brew, but I've tasted better. The coffee is nice, but it doesn't balance well with the rest of the beer. (600 characters)

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin Beer Company