Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial StoutTerrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,236 | Hads: 3,645
2.32/5  rDev -45.4%

2009 vintage.

A - Pours looking pretty viscous and black as expected, though there's just a tiny hint of red in the bottom corner of my La Fin Du Monde glass. Thick, dark brown head that's fading a thin cap after the first minute.

S - So, I haven't had this in over a year, and the only other time I had it was on tap. It was the first coffee beer I had and fell in love. Honestly, the coffee notes are pretty strong, but they aren't that good. Smells like burned coffee grounds. There's a hint of chocolate, but it's barely evident.

T - It's really depressing, but the taste follows the smell pretty well. The coffee here just is not well done. Old, stale, slightly burned coffee. There are some oat flavors and maybe just a hint of chocolate, but the coffee just really lingers and basically overwhelms everything else and leads to a slight tinge of coffee that warms the throat.

MF - Silky and creamy with carbonation bouncing on the back of the tongue. Best aspect of the beer.

D - I'm a coffee enthusiast and feel confident saying that coffee just flat out wasn't utilized well here. I love coffee and coffee beer, but the coffee here tastes like stale coffee that was left to sit around for a couple hours.

2.42/5  rDev -43.1%

Hate regular coffee. Have drank other coffee/choc stouts that were very drinkable. This is by FAR the worst. Complete crap. Must be coffee with booze heavily infused. On that note, I suggest u try it at least once.

2.6/5  rDev -38.8%

Drinking 09' vintage.

Vigorous pour from 12oz bottle into my HOTD snifter produced a one finger mocha colored head which quickly dissipated and left no lacing.
This is a beautiful beer and i'm looking forward to it smell and taste to follow suit.

S: Dominated by coffee with some hints of chocolate.

T: The first couple drinks were pleasant enough as the full coffee flavor was not present. As this puppy warmed up, the coffee flavor dominated and I didn't pick up any alcohol at all. Eventually all I could taste was a smoke infused coffee concoction.

M: Modest mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation, but the smoke flavor was over-powering.

D: Not too drinkeable for me. The smoky flavor was too much. I realize this is a coffee stout, but the flavor is just not balanced at all.
I've enjoyed many other coffee stouts, but this one just didn't do it for me.

D: Not too drinkeable to me.

2.76/5  rDev -35.1%

12oz bottle w/ a turtle on it recieved in a trade

A- Dark Black with tan head goes away quick and not impressive to look at.

S-Wet dog with a hint of coffee, pretty dissapointing

T- Weak flavor, i pick up the oatmeal and coffee

M- Thick and creamy with hints of carbonation

d- pretty much could only have one of these

2.8/5  rDev -34.1%

Bottle says W-n-B, Seasonal:2010.
Pours black with a finger of relatively quickly dissipating cocoa head. Looks good. Smells rather intensely of coffee with a backing of chocolate and however you would describe that oatmeal stout smell (oats?). Smells good. Oh, ugh. The taste up front is roasted coffee and chocolate, but the back is bitter metallic chocolate oatmeal. It just hangs on the palate, as though someone dropped a penny in my drink or something. I don't know whether to blame over-roasted coffee, catching fading hops at the worst possible time or what, but the finish of this beer is really unpleasant. A metallic bitterness just lingers on the back of the tongue... But, the mouthfeel is good...medium, high carbonation and medium-full bodied without being syrupy. The drinkability...well, I mean, the awful, lingering aftertaste totally kills it. I really thought I was going to love this beer and I just cannot get over what seems to be a major flaw. Hopefully I just caught this beer at the wrong time. Back half was a drain-pour, unfortunately...

2.85/5  rDev -32.9%

A - Dark black with a toffee colored head which is almost non existent despite the rather aggressive pour. S - Less than expected since the head dissipates far too rapidly despite the chocolate addition, strong burnt espresso dominates, presence of alcohol, chocolate character lacking. T - Dark chocolate, dark roast coffee, some evidence of deep caramel malt, slightly harsh coffee/alcohol taste lingers. M - Decent mouthfeel although thinner than expected with the oatmeal name tag. O - Seems over rated compared to the competition. Early coffee addition (harsh) and alcohol takeover.

2.88/5  rDev -32.2%

Terrapin is a great brewery, the pride of Georgia, and this particular offering promises a whole lot. Just look at the name! Coffee. Oatmeal. Imperial. Stout. YES!!! A grand black brew in the tradition of Founder's Breakfast Stout and Victory's Storm King, right?!?!?

Eh...not really.

Poured into a snifter a completely abyssic black. The big sizzling head is a gorgeous brown, but it thins quickly. The thing certainly looks like a monster, and it really whets the appetite...

Aroma is: coffee. Coffee. And more coffee. If I use the imagination a little, an aroma of chocolate comes through, like dark baking chocolate...and maybe some metallic yuckiness. But still, it's pretty much full-on coffee. You better like coffee if you've come this far.

Flavor mirrors the aroma, and that's the problem. It tastes like carbonated coffee. [Soapbox alert here:] What makes so many stouts so great (whether they be oatmeal, "breakfast", Russian Imperial, or whatever) is that they possess a robust coffee essence without actually having been brewed with coffee. If they've got depth, it's an impressive experience. This particular beer was actually brewed using coffee. That's fine. Experiment away. Awesome! But it seems Terrapin forgot about all the other things that make a stout great. There's a serious lack of depth. I've tried. This is my second bottle in two days. I don't believe the beer is old or spoiled.

The mouthfeel doesn't help matters. It's not terrible...but it's also not creamy, velvety, or round, as a beer of this type should be. It does have a very thin smoothness, as in typical English stouts, but it unfortunately still has too much carbonation. It ends up drinking like a dark German lager or something. I'm no style-fascist, but the crisp, sizzling texture doesn't match up with what's going on in the flavor. (Or SHOULD be going on in the flavor, which is just so monochromatic...) The metallic finish doesn't help a thing.

I still love Terrapin. Their rye beers are especially lovely. Maybe this just needs to grow on me. But right now I'm disappointed that such an amazing concept didn't produce amazing results.

2.89/5  rDev -32%

A - Just plain black. Tan head that hangs, just a bit of lacing on the glass.

S - Super strong (over-powering) coffee aroma. Not subtle, just coffee. Maybe a bit of dark, bitter chocolate, but wow...coffee.

T - I love coffee. I love beer with a subtle hint of coffee. This is too much. Still a hint of chocolate, but the coffee is ovver-powering.

M - Okay, nothing to complain about, but a bit too carbonated.

O - I was hoping for a better experience, and expected it from a great brewery like Terripan. They just went overboard with the coffee, IMO.

2.94/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I was excited to try this beer after seeing the high ratings on Beer Advocate. I'm a coffee lover and a beer lover and when my two favorite drinks are put together it usually is a "can't miss" scenario. However, I was truly let down by this beer. I'm not going to go into the specifics (a,s,t,m,o) but to say that I feel it's under carbonated, poor lacing, bitter smell and taste. The coffee used is not smooth and seems like an average quality blend which is unacceptable for a beer that costs $3.50 for a 12 ounce bottle. Terrapin should learn a lesson from GI who puts an excellent quality coffee in their BCBCS and it shows! To each his own but I just don't see why this beer is rated so high.

2.96/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

An absolutely beautiful pour generates a very active three finger head of dark brown chocolate colored head that quickly faeds and leaves no lace. The body to this beer is as black as Indian ink and just as thick. Nose has a feel of cola and fresh ground chicory coffee, very woodsy backround funk. As I take first sip the first thing that comes into my mind is wow this isnt quite right, an old soured coffee with an electric fuzzy hue that sticks on the back of the tongue. This quickly shines through as a bitter coffee feel. You really need to drink this beer close to room tempature. It lacks considerable balance that would make this brew a real winner that it should be. Mouthfeel is a sour bitter hue that hangs on long. I'm hoping that I just got a bad bottle because base on other reviews, it just didnt seem right.

2.98/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I was anxious to try this beer but was greatly disappointed upon drinking it. To me the flavor was lacking and it had a really weird after taste. Luckly i bought two bottles so i can try them both.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours thicj black and viscous, absolutely no light gets through. Big foamy, uncontrollable head. Head is dark tan in color. Retention is okay. For as big as it was, thank goodness it didn't stay around too long or it would have taken all night to drink. Fizzy, foamy lace sheets down the glass after each sip.

S-Roasted barely, strong coffee, chocolate, alcohol esters carry light earthy hoppiness. Sweetness abound in the nose. Has an odd imitation mocha latte character to it.

T-Roasted malt, coffee, dark chocolate, earthy and sour. Only a little bitterness from the roasted mlats. Lonfg sour finish is a little off.

M-Fizzy carbonation. not as creamy as suggested as the pour.

D-Not great, I had two out of the four-pack and traded the other two.

Overall-not as good as the others in the monster beer tour

3.01/5  rDev -29.2%

More tasting notes.

A Pours a black topped with a mocha head.

S Smells like used coffee grounds that were slightly burnt.

T Pretty smiler to the smell with slightly burnt coffee being the dominant note.

M Full body, with good levels of carbonation. Can't complain I guess.

Overall this is a mediocre beer that tastes like someone turned the stuff in the filter of my coffee pot into beer.

3.03/5  rDev -28.7%

Pours a rich dark brown with a finger toffee colored head which disappears after a couple of minutes. In all aspects, it seems as if the coffee is completely dominating the stout. The nose is the nicest with the banana, caramel and chocolate notes; however, the coffee on the palate is very overwhelming. Body is incredibly rich, tasting more like a beer watered down with really strong coffee or, rather, an iced coffee with a touch of beer added. The hops and carbonation get completely lost. The finish, though, makes for a decent recovery and sees more of a return of the malty notes of chocolate covered raisin and cinnamon.

It may just be a stylistic thing, but this has WAY too much coffee for me, and I'm a total coffee-lover. I just feel that the body of a beer and the body of coffee are two entirely different textures that, when put together on this level, do not complement each other at all. It's too thick, and the subdued nature of the things that make a beer bright and lively, hops and carbonation, make this feel utterly bogged-down. I also don't think the coffee adds any aroma complexities to justify its heavy use. Roasted malt smells like coffee most of the time anyways. It's not a terrible brew, but cut back on the coffee.

3.03/5  rDev -28.7%

The aroma is like rubber, coffee, oatmeal, burnt malt, and hops. The appearance is almost black with a tan head. The flavor is like the aroma. The palate is about what it should be. Overall I am just not crazy about beers with added coffee. They seem acidic and stale.

3.03/5  rDev -28.7%

A_This one pours a really rich dark black. The two finger head is almost as dark as the liquid. The complaint is that it settles down a bit too quickly. lacing is minimal.

S_Interesting odours coming off of this bad boy. There are bits of soy sauce, coffee, fermentation(if that makes any sense) and light chocolate. Not sure if I like this or not.

T_The taste starts out with a sweet cola like sensation. This is then followed up with a bitter roasted quality with hints of coffee, not as much as the name would suggest. There is a decent underlying acidity which helps clear things up.

M_A bit towards the viscous stage but with a higher carbonation than expected. I seem to be sensitive to that today.

D_For some reason this is just not doing it for me. I would not say this is a bad beer, but i have been drinking a lot of good stouts recently and this one is not one of the best. I have been impressed by this brewery before and was really looking foward to this one. A bit of a let down. I think living in San Diego and drinking Speedway as my go to coffee stout may have spoiled me. Still, good to try.

3.04/5  rDev -28.5%

Had this on tap at the brewery on 12-16-09. (BTW, why aren't beerfly reviews of this place allowed? It's totez a bar... with "free" beer, and $10 glasses. I love you, Terrapin!)

A very, very strong burnt coffee smell completely dominates the nose. I'm talkin' 5 day old, stale gas station coffee, mixed with dirt. Something very earthy about this beer. Definitely not the best impy stout I've smelled. Notes of vanilla and dark chocolate assert themselves in the background.

The taste is pretty much the same, but for some reason the coffee is not quite as offensive to my tongue as it is to my nose. But, again, burnt coffee is dominant.

Mouthfeel is nice and creamy-thick.

Overall, I'd have to say I liked it at first, but as it went on it got increasingly difficult to drink it. It seemed like the flavors that came through after warming were just more offensive versions of the composted coffee grounds, and the smell was by far the worst part.

I still love this brewery... but this beer is not for me.

3.04/5  rDev -28.5%

Thanks to nflmvp for this one.

2007 Edition, listed at 8.1% ABV

A: Pours jet black with a bubbly tan head that quickly disappears and leaves no lacing.

S: A dirty, earthy smell of burnt wood with a touch of black coffee.

T: Much like the smell. Earthy and gritty coffee flavors with quite a lot of bitterness. One-dimensional and a bit dull.

M: Unfortunately, this isn't rich, velvety, and smooth as advertised on the label, but rather thin, coarse, and highly-carbonated. The flavor quickly disapears leaving a trace of bitterness.

D: I was really looking foward to this one. but I'll be chalking this one up on the over-hyped beers list. For a big stout, this one is too fizzy and watery and lacks substantial flavor.

3.14/5  rDev -26.1%

Extra in a trade...

A: Awesome thick dark black stout with a thick 2 inch dark chocolate colored head that fades at a medium pace. Awesome.

S: Espresso upfront with raisin in the middle and chocolate hops on the backend. Decent.

T: Very grassy espresso upfront. Not in a good way. Ick! Kind of black licorice like. I hate black licorice.

M: Leaves a sticky palate. Full of black licorice flavor. Nothing special.

D: Goes down super easy. Very good.

All in all, this is a crater beer. Crater beer meaning it starts good and ends good, but dips big in the middle. Not worth hunting. Ok to try once. Not much special. Eh.

3.15/5  rDev -25.9%

A- pitch black with little or no head. Dark tan head if there is one.
S- very strong coffee, with hint of chocolate
T- strong coffee taste- can taste the alcohol.
MF- hard to drink, heavy flavor. thick body but not a lot of carbonation
D- flavorful in alcohol and coffee. not smooth at all. would drink maybe again if this was a choice given over others that are not appealing. but would not put the money down into buying it again.

3.18/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle, it hits my glass with little to no head, only retaining a few bubbles here and there near the edges. Smell is strong on the coffee, with a strange wet, old somewhat displeasing moldy oatmeal odor. It doesn't necessarily detract from the overall smell of the beer (which is mostly coffee), but throws me off a little from the times I have had it in the past and remembering it having a different aroma, more of dark malt. The strange smell carries over to the flavor, with coffee and dark roasted malt being at the front, but having a strange funky(not sour though) aftertaste. Coffee ends up overpowering everything else in the taste department. Mouthfeel is just right for a stout, and demonstrates perfectly the thick and silky texture oatmeal gives to a brew. As far as drinkability goes, this hits all the right notes except for the off taste. Possibly a bad bottle, or I left it on the shelf too long as I don't remember my other bottles having this strange taste to them.

3.18/5  rDev -25.2%

Literally pours like motor oil. This beer is extremely thick. Its viscosity prevents much turbulance as its settling and leaves a thin almost non existant head.

Has a chocolatey smell, but its somewhat faint. Difficult to predict its taste from the smell alone. For the alcohol content of the beer and the range of ingrediences it has an underwhelming smell.

Tastes sweet with very strong chocolate presence. Very malty with a slight hint of coffee taste to it. Any hops are overpowered by the chocolate notes. Tastes like drinking a liquified tube of chocolate cookie dough. This would make a good dessert beer.

The mouthfeel is chalky and thick. It leaves a sweet aftertaste, almost as if one had been pouring a bittersweet version of Hershey's chocolate syrup on your tongue.

Drinkability? One is more than enough. 8 oz of this would have been plenty for one sitting.

3.23/5  rDev -24%

Merry Christmas BA!

This bottle courtesy of scottyshades. Thanks Scott.

A: A pitch black pour into my St. Bernardus Goblet. Almost no head. Bubbles that are present are extremely small.

S: Pretty much as advertised. Aroma is almost all roast coffee, oatmeal and hints of cocoa and malt.

T: Taste is as it smells roast coffee, oatmeal, cocoa and malt. Alcohol much more present here but not overpowering. Some mild bitterness, but it seems to be more from the coffee than anything else.

M: Heavy on the tongue. Carbonation is quite pronounced at the end of the sip.

D: Given the alcohol and the caffeine combination I don't think I'd drink more than one. But it is very tasty and pretty smooth.

Overall I like this beer a lot. It has probably the most pronounce coffee taste I've had in a beer to date. As I mentioned though I wouldn't drink many in one sitting for just that reason. All that being said, I'd gladly drink another.

3.25/5  rDev -23.5%

12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A--- Poured a dark brown to black with a thin tan head.

S--- Coffee and roasted malt make up the nose.

T--- Grainy, astringent roasted malt forward followed by a very unpleasant tobacco like flavor. Low bitterness, salty, oxidized and lip puckering dryness in the finish.

M--- Thin to medium bodied with little carbonation.

D--- I had a chance to try a bottle brewed in 06 and it really shined. Unfortunately I did not review it then. I remember this as being a chewy, full bodied stout. This bottle was stale and lifeless.

3.26/5  rDev -23.3%

Appearance: Dark brown/black with a nice dark tan head. The head dissipates a little too quickly.

Smell: Mainly molasses, burnt toast, sweet toasted nuts.

Taste: Coffee with a shot of blended molasses, raisins, & PGA.

Mouthfeel: Perfect for a stout. Thick, rich, chewy, foamy.

The beer is too rich and alcoholic to my system to enjoy. A lot of people will love this beer but I'd have to water it down to have a chance to enjoy it more.

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin Beer Company