Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,246 | Hads: 3,676
4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

2006 wake-n-bake release party on tap. Rich dark brown color with a large tan head. A rich coffee aroma quickly turns into a hop lovers dream. This stout is about 72 Ibu, which leaves a good hop bite on the finish. The midpalate reveals chocolate and plenty of roasted malt and dark coffee flavors. The boys at Terrapin broke out the Terrapinator device and loaded it up with three different fresh hops and some fresh cherries.What a tasty grand finally!

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (Vintage 09AA) into a pint glass.

This beer is a great example of how lame being PC is. This is Wake N Bake, dammit. Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout? Come on.

Black pour. No real shocker there. The pour looks thin, which is somewhat disappointing...I was kind of hoping that a Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout would have that classic motor oil pour, but it's sadly not the case here. About a finger of rich tan foam doesn't stick around for terribly long...it evaporates into a thick halo pretty quickly, but at least the halo retains well. No real lacing on the glass, but I didn't expect any from this beer.

So, I'm always a bit hesitant to try coffee beers, because I'm not very fond of the intense roasted quality they usually possess. Wake N Bake is a different story. It's got a very rich coffee nose, and the roast is a "Oh, sweet, someone put on a pot of coffee" roast, and not a "Shit, someone spilled something on the burner, the smoke detector is going off, and it smells like the house is on fire" roast. So, yeah, that's a plus. But, aside from that, I'm smelling plenty of delicious chocolate, and that little sweet edge that I always smell in oatmeal stouts. Not really an oatmeal guy, but, for some reason, it works. Always like a good bitter/sweet balance.

As the name would suggest, coffee is the dominant flavor, beating out bittersweet chocolate. Not really getting as much of an oatmeal vibe as I did in the nose, but I'll allow it. Definitely becomes more robust with warmth. Really enjoying the coffee/hops combo bitter finish.

So...the texture is my only complaint, and it's not really a complaint. My suspicions from the pour proved mostly true...Wake N Bake is medium-full bodied, but just a tad thinner than I'd enjoy. Now, the warmth did help, and the last half of the glass was certainly thicker, but it still lacked the viscosity I've been craving lately. It's still better than most in this department.

Drinkability is sky high for an 8% imperial stout. And, honestly, the texture may have actually helped in that department. Obviously, this isn't a session beer, but it's as close to one as an imperial stout can get, as far as I'm concerned. Immensely drinkable. No hint of alcohol, except for in my stride. Great, great beer from Terrapin.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

With this as my 400th review it was an honor!

A - Pours jet black and thick. Liked the creamy like texture with a nice inch of foam.

S - Well it gives you everything to offer. First on the nose you get a slight hit of coffee and then a sort of oat dryness and then a mighty strong chocolate.

T - Well I seemed to enjoy the coffee the most, which comes from a "jittery joe's coffee" place. It comes off sweet and bitter at times due to the chocolate but is quite creamy. A very smooth oatmeal stout.

M - Kind of heavy and drinkable.

D - "Let not the price be the judge of the beer" these words are pretty well spoken and even though the price of an individual was 5 bucks, I could easily see a sixer being cheaper... elsewhere. Man PA sucks sometimes for price

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Walnut brown with swirls of black. Decent mocha head, but not glamorous.

S: Oats, dark roast coffee, raisins/prune, dark and white chocolate. Evokes dark rum. A fast, sharp smelling beer that jolts the drinker's appetite.

M: Med to full body. Semi smooth. Brisk coffee. Could be described as juicy at times.

T: Sweet raisins, espresso dusted chocolate; cinnamon. Blackberry; slightly sour, slightly tannic.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured a very thick opaque brown/black with a thin dark mocha head that dwindled away to a thin ring. Smells of coffee and sweet chocolate. The taste was exceptional. The coffee flavor in this hits you right away and its almost all coffee. There is some chocolate and a little alcohol but not really noticeable. The mouthfeel is a little thinner than expected. After watching it pour like oil I was expecting some more thickness. Overall this is an amazing example of a coffee stout. I would compare it to Choklat in the sense that when they say coffee, they mean coffee.

Thank you kkipple for the opportunity to try this one!

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A - pours a nice jet black. 1 inch of light brown head that faded to leave a nice crown of lace.

S - Great coffee presence. Malty, with chocolate and slight touch of hops(?). Coffee definitely take the center stage here, but the nose is very nice.

T - Follows suit with the nose. Coffee, coffee and more coffee. Very good. A little boozy, but I like that.

M - Very nice medium to full body. Pretty easy to drink considering it is an imperial stout. Quite pleasant.

O - Very nice beer. I was looking for a good coffee stout and this delivered perfectly. It has a strong coffee foundation, but yet a few touches of other goodies to keep it intriguing. This was from a trade, but I will buy this beer again, when I see it.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle marked Seasonal 2010 into my Duvel.

A - Black as coffee. Poured with about a one inch, creamy brown head. A sheen of lacing left on the side of the glass.

S - Oats come first on the smell with a nice coffee behind it. Has a roastiness. A very faint sweet smell.

T - Heck yes! Great coffee and dark chocolate taste. Great roasted flavor. Leaves an excellent silky, smooth sweet taste at the end. Just a touch of the alcohol. Really fantastic.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Nice creamy feel left behind.

D - Absolutely drinkable! Had me licking my lips after every sip. Find it, buy it, love it.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

Pitch black opaque elixer with a nice mocha head and good lacing.
Very excellant morning brew for me!!!
Coffee seems to dominate the nose for me here, but I notice some nice roasty grain too.
Nice bitter roasry grain and black coffee, Creamy sweet mid with a nice dry finish. WOW!!!
Very smooth creamy mouth on this brew.
Very nice on a cool winter morn....

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Jet black with plenty of light brown head. Gorgeous looking beer. Lots of coffee and cereal on the nose. Coffee and milk chocolate dominate the taste. Oatmeal or cereal undertones. Big thick body with a full and chewy palate probably from the oatmeal. Seeing how the name applies to mornings, I decided to have one last night for an initial taste but then give my review this morning so that I could really into the breakfast experience. I find this easier than coffee to down. If this were a year-round brew, I would probably take this over coffee every morning.

Ah yes, also last night I finished my beer by pouring it into a small cup of ice cream. This was a wonderful idea. It was like adding a little milk or cream to my coffee. Great morning beer and a great dessert beer. What more do you want, you greedy bastard?

4.54/5  rDev +6.8%

I got this beer as part of a trade with Bonhoeffer. I must say that I am quite happy with the trade. This beer is great. Luckily, I still have 3 more to ration out for the next few days. Thanks Bonhoeffer for hooking me up.

This beer pours a very dark brown. Almost black. The head is dark brown. It fades fast leaving a decent lacing.

This beer has a mild coffee aroma. I can detect the oatmeal. Chocolate aroma is ever so slightly present. It has a caramel malty aroma.

This beer has a good coffee flavor. Some coffee stouts are a little overbearing, but not this one. It is mild. I can taste some chocolate. It is malty sweet.

This beer is very smooth. It leaves a coffee taste on the palate. It is thick, feeling like most other oatmeal stouts. It is carbonated well for the style.

I think I could drink this beer all night. The alcohol is just a little high, so I would have to take that into count. Other than that, this beer would be a great session beer.

4.54/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

My favorite beer from Terrapin brewery. Every winter when this beer comes out I try and grab a few packs. The appreance is black as night with a rich coffee colored head. The taste is malty and coffee driven with a touch of cream. The perfect breakfast beer. This is a big rich beer but not overly heavy. This would be awesome on nitro.

Served from a 12oz bottle

A- Deep ruby-black with ok head and decent lacing

S- Wow, full on coffee, nice deep roasted coffee and hints of chocolate and molasses

T- A nice carry over of the nose. Lots of nice smooth coffee with semi sweet chocolate, molasses, fudge and bitter cocoa

M-creamy and smooth

O-Really nice, one of the best coffee beers I've had

4.54/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured into a pint glass from a growler from the Charleston Beer Exchange.

Pours a solid black with a little brown/burgundy head. Head dissipates very quickly.

Smell dominates of coffee. I pick up a little bit of chocolate too. Great aroma.

Sensational taste that gets you from the first note. Sweetness from the beginning, but it seems to fade out by the end. Aftertaste is mildly bitter of chocolate and of course coffee. High ABV is completely masked by the malts and coffee.

Mouthfeel is high point of this pint. Creamy, reminds me of the smooth creamy texture of an outmeal stout. I wonder if they used any oats in this brew.

Drinkability is great for the style. I mean it's a coffee stout so I am sharing my growler with friends.

4.54/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours near black with a thin tan head. Nose has coffee, oats, cocoa, molasses, bitter hops and dark roasty malts. Taste has espresso, chocolate, black malts, floal hops and molasses. Creamy body is well carbonated. Great coffee stout from Terrapin. Should age well.

4.54/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle > Alpine Spring Glass

A - Pours black brown, 1.5 finger head of a nice dark brown color, no lacing.
S - Big roasted oats and fresh brewed coffee, some chocolate and toffee malts.
T - Wow awesome flavor, wake n bake is appropriately named, creamy oatmeal and fresh coffee all through this, then some rich toffee flavor, pecans, a nice subtle nutty quality. A little burn on exit.
M - Creamy, rich smooth.
O - Just a flat out awesome stout, aptly named and well brewed, good balance of delicious flavors, not too sweet either. Cant wait to have this again.

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

A- pours an opaque black with a half inch tan and brown head rising quickly, leaves a light lacing on the glass continually
S- smells of toasted oats and medium roast coffee, has a nice sweet smell from the maltiness
T- medium and dark roast coffees, has a great sweet flavor, finishes with a molasses and a light vanilla flavor
M- could be thicker, but overall has a nice creaminess and a light carbonation
D- oh so drinkable, a few of these could be had in an evening

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

Had this at the Brickstore in Decatur the other day. I watched the lady bring it over from the bar to my table and could not take my eyes off the wonderful looking head this beer had. Brown with what looks to be coffee grinds in it. Once it got to me though the smell was of coffee, strong coffee with maybe a hint of chocolate. Taste is of coffee and cocoa with a nice hint of oatmeal to smooth everything out. After you drink it the bitterness pulls everything together. I also got a nice warming feel from the alcohol once drank. Overall this is by far the best coffee stout I have ever had and it's something everyone should try.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle received in a trade with UNCCTDawg. Thanks, Bro!

Poured into a Founders snifter.

A: Jet black/dirty oil appearance. Nice two fingers tan head sits atop an agressive pour.

S: Beautiful dark roast coffee smell wafts from the snifter. An olfactory delight.

T: A sweet start followed by a nice bitter coffee tang in the middle, followed by a thin chocolaty velvet finish.

M: A nice mouthfeel that if were just a bit heavier would put this brew over the top.

O: A real treat. Highly recommend.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to SamuelJackson45 for sending me this one!

Terrapin Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout.

2010 vintage.

Pours a super pitch black color with a 2 inch super dark brown head that fades to a small puffy cap. Nice rings and latticework of lacing line the glass on the drink down. Smells very rich with roasted coffee beans, toasted oats and dark malts, and some bittersweet baking chocolate. Taste is also very rich with a complex blend of sweetened coffee, toasted oats, and chocolate syrup. There is also a slight vanilla flavor I am getting as well. There is a low but still bubbly level of carbonation that is perfect for this beer. Very smooth and creamy in the mouth. Overall, this is an awesome stout and something I could see myself stocking up massive quantities of if it was distributed in my area. I am super glad I have one more of these in my cellar.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks Loki for the opportunity.

Vintage 08?
Pours a thick opaque black with garnet struggling there at the edges. A finger's worth of dark coffee creamy head falls slowly. Lines of heavy foam stick to the edge of each sip before sinking beneath their own weight.

Aroma begins with dark fruits and chocolate... but then it arrives, strong bitter coffee. Dark strong diner coffee, not some sugared up single origin fancypants coffee. (I'll be getting my cup of estate grown Ethiopian in the morning...)

Flavor again starts with dark fruits and chocolate before the coffee kicks it. But it kicks in with style, dominating the latter part of the sip into the finish, which is nicely bitter.

Intensely creamy and thick, coats your mouth kind of thick. Low carbonation accentuates the creamy feel. Definitely my favorite aspect of the a very good brew.

This isn't just a hint of coffee stout. It's a greasy eggs and cheese grits coffee stout. Well worth seeking out.
While I love it, the ABV and palate wrecking coffee would probably keep me from going after a bomber. I love big beers in 12oz bottles.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This has got be the best thing I've had from Terrapin to date. This beauty of a beer pours out nice and thick looking with a very dark black color and brown head. The lacing on the glass is pretty good and the beers thickness sticks to the glass leaving a nice brown tinge behind. The smell of the beer is deeply roasted coffee and chocolate, along with some burnt oats. The taste has some really nice coffee flavors and rich dark chocolate throughout. The mouthfeel of the beer is thick and oily, it's got a light carbonation to it also. Overall this is my favorite release from Terrapin, I enjoyed this beer a lot. It's a definite sipper so take your time with it and let it last a while.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a rich dark brown. Smallish dark khaki colored head which dissipates quickly leaving minimal lacing behind. Completely opaque.

Rich dark coffee aroma. Almost espresso-like. Dark, semi-sweet chocolate. Roasted malt, sweet cream, and hazelnut(??).

Lovely coffee flavors. Dark roast, just a hint of bitterness, some sweetness on the back end. Rich roasted malt and dark chocolate balance the coffee. Hints of smoke, peat, licorice. Sweet cream.

Creamy, almost luscious, mouth feel. Medium-thick body with moderate carbonation. Slight bitterness to start transforms to a lingering sweetness.

This a fantastic coffee stout. Founder's Breakfast Stout is considered the standard to measure others of this style and WnB compares extremely favorably. Wonderful.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours like thin, black motor oil with coffee brown tints. The beer pours with a small dark khaki head that quickly fades into a ring of tight small bubbles around the glass. In body, the beer is impenetrable to the eye. It sits in the glass as a dark and brooding enigma. The beer leaves a splotchy and light lacing, leaving slick dots of bubbles on the glass. On the nose, the beer smells of big meaty coffee beans with dry cocoa and some slight charred malts poking through. In many ways it smells like a very coffee forward mocha, with great nuances to the coffee smell. The smell is coffee heaven for sure. Comparable to Founder’s Breakfast Stout, only more coffee forward. On the tongue, the beer tastes sweet and then roasty bitter with slight savory hints of chocolate and meaty coffee. In flavors, the beer begins as sweet chocolate, almost moving into light dark fruit characters before it blossoms into roasted coffee and cocoa powder with light notes of charred malts. The flavors are superbly mellow and balanced, especially in comparison to the big nose, though still plenty large enough to please the palate. The finish is bitter black coffee with touches of light fruit and chocolate, which moves slowly into rich cocoa powder. The aftertaste is of light, generic dark fruit flavors with slight bitter coffee and a ghost of savory salt lingering on the tongue. In the mouth, the beer feels thick in body with a light velvety carbonation that helps the beer to slither across the palate. The mouth is left slightly wet with coffee’s bitter lingering feel. Overall, this is a phenomenal imperial stout with coffee and oatmeal. There are beautiful nuances in this beer and some beautiful balance between rather dominant flavors. This beer is in many ways comparable to Founder’s Breakfast Stout, and, in my current memory, it seems to have more balance and coffee richness than FBS. That being said, my bottle is a couple months old and might have mellowed from its original flavors. This beer is great, though, try it.

4.56/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Brad (gimmegumballhead) for this one.

Jet black, slow pouring beauty. Creamy tan head about an inch thick...no lacing.

Wonderful rich coffee nose. Cocoa, campfire and sweet cream/milk chocolate.

First sip is espresso, hot cocoa, a bit of vanilla extract and long, lingering tiramisu taste.

Perfect body for the style. Creamy richness that perfectly matches the big roasty flavors.

I loved this beer. It's easy to go overboard with flavor combinations but Terrapin came up with a real winner here. Not over boosy, malty or bitter...just perfectly in balance. Outstanding.

4.56/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Black and opaque with a finger of brown head that dissipates very quickly

Smell: Espresso, vanilla, slight dark fruits

Taste: It really is like sippin your favorite cup o' joe

Mouthfeel: Full bodied stout right here

Overlall: This is the most coffee forward stout I've had. Wonderful espresso aromas and overall quite akin to sippin a quality cup of black coffee

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin Beer Company