Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros

4.29/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a DFH snifter. The pour is nearly black, not too viscous, and sports a fingernail worth of tan head that quickly dies down to a thin lace. The nose on this beer is delightful. The coffee notes are incredibly rich with a slight hint of chocolate. It smells like a really, really good cup of coffee.

The beer has a medium-full body and a firm feel and a semisweet, well-balanced flavor. There are some rich malty notes up front along with a little chocolate. At mid-palate, just enough coffee comes in to provide some bitterness and earthy flavor without disrupting the balance. I'm not sure if I taste the oatmeal, but the feel has that characteristic velvety smoothness indicative of oats. The finish has a mild coffee bitterness balanced by some milk chocolate. A nice after-dinner beer. Not too heavy or filling.

I bought this beer while on vacation (Terrapin isn't sold where I live yet) and really enjoyed it. Of course I am inclined to compare this to Founders Breakfast Stout (which I have had many times) and in my opinion it stands up very well. The most glaring difference between this and FBS is that there's not a lot of intense coffee on the palate with this beer. Given the nose, I half-expected this to be a coffee bomb on the palate (like FBS), but it's not. Instead, it is very well-balanced and the coffee doesn't wash out all the other flavors. Excellent beer.

3.97/5  rDev -7.5%

Thanks to BA ThickNStout for sending this my way as part of a recent trade. Enjoyed out of a 12 oz brown bottle with no freshness or bottling date that I can see, however the label clearly marks this as part of the 2013 release, so it is less than a month old at the very most. Poured into a large snifter glass.

Appearance - Body is a inky jet black with hints of dark, tree bark brown. No light is passing through, even when I hold it up directly in front of a light source. Atop sits about a finger of actively fizzling head that is a mocha-tan color. It dissipates fairly quickly, coming to rest with a healthy film of bubbles across the top, with consolidation occurring around the edges of the glass, making it a little bit thicker there. Not really any lacing to speak of.

Smell - Coffee is the primary aroma coming through, but it is supported by notes of dark and milk chocolate, almost like what you would expect from a milk stout. There is also a healthy presence of roasted malt to provide some charred kick to the otherwise sweet-smelling brew. The espresso element of the aroma is quite pleasant, but not as overpowering as I tend to prefer in my coffee-infused stouts.

Taste - Here there is a bigger presence from the chocolate sweetness, with notes of cacao, milk chocolate and truffles. The coffee is still very much present, and blends well with the chocolate notes to give the impression of a mocha latte, but less sweet. Supporting the interplay of coffee bitterness and chocolate sweetness is a soft bread-like foundation from the oatmeal.

Mouthfeel - The oatmeal helps to provide a slightly chewy, heavy-to-medium body, with carbonation that is on the light side of moderate. Finish is semisweet.

Overall, a very tasty imperial coffee stout with a pretty big chocolate presence. It's a tiny bit inverted from the way another popular coffee imperial oatmeal stout comes across, but variety is the spice of life, right? If this was more readily available to me, I'd likely get some every season to change things up. At the very least, this has made me curious to try the "cinnamon roll'd" variant.

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12 oz bottle into snifter.

A: Jet black with one finger tan head. Some nice lacing.

S: Coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts.

T: All coffee all the time. A bit of bitter chocolate and roasted malts, but the coffee notes are dominant here.

M: Full bodied with plenty of carbonation.

O: Easily one of the better coffee forward stouts that I have enjoyed. On par with Founders Breakfast Stout and Stone Espresso IRS.

4.23/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Had this on 2012-01-04 in Lancaster, PA at The Fridge and from the bottle on 2014-01-05 in Columbia, PA.

A - Opaque dark brown with a 1-finger brown head into a big snifter. Great lacing.

S - Fragrant. Strong, rich dark roast coffee and to a lesser extent; sweet milk chocolate.

T - Dark roasted coffee, milk and dark chocolate, roasted grain; like a lot of espresso poured into a gourmet hot chocolate. Roasted/light char bitterness with some hop bitterness. Fairly sweet initially, which mostly dries out into the long-lasting, coffee/chocolate-infused aftertaste. The alcohol is well-disguised. A very tasty brew indeed.

M - Full body and light carbonation. Thick and creamy thanks to the oatmeal. Just right.

O - A well-done and very tasty oatmeal stout. Comparing the fresh 2012 Terrapin to a fresh 2012 Breakfast Stout; I liked the 2012 Breakfast Stout more. Comparing a fresh 2013 Terrapin to a 2013 Breakfast Stout, I like the Terrapin more; primarily because the coffee is less forward in the Terrapin than in this year's Breakfast Stout. Having the 2013 Terrapin caused me to upgrade my flavor rating from 4.0 to 4.25, putting it on par with the 2013 Breakfast Stout. Well done, Terrapin.

4.77/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I nearly shit my pants when this beer come up at a bottle share, and the guy poured five bottles each from one of the past 5 years. So a 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, and 2009. I have just entered the world of aging beer and this was exactly what I needed to excuse me from cleaning off another shelf in the basement. I was excited because Wake N Bake was one of my favorite beers this Winter, however, I believe heartily that mixing Wake N Bake and a Chocolate Moo Hoo together should be a national treasure. Will aging it possibly change my preferred method of consumption? We'll see.

Smelling 2013 and then 2009 and I would be ignorant if I didn't say there is a world of difference. The coffee in the 2013 is dominant if not brooding and the 2009 smells sweater, but also slightly plain. When I tasted the 2013, I definitely got that early morning kick you might need some days. The flavor was sharp with coffee and quite delicious, but I tasted an underlying bitterness.

In 2012, I noticed a drop off in the coffee and it was not as bitter, I preferred this to the 2013, because the coffee was giving way to the sweeter notes of oatmeal.

By 2011, most of the coffee had simmered, the bitterness was gone, and a sweeter flavor had developed. Hands down, this was Wake N Bake in its prime.

By 2010 and 2009, the beer had lost its breakfast flavors and was starting to taste more like a traditional porter, but very easy on the senses. In fact, this vintage would be a great way to introduce someone to a porter or imperial russian if they haven't developed their pallet yet.

Though I will never forget this tasting, I still think that I can get a Waken N Bake where I want it by cheating the system just a little bit and adding some chocolate moo hoo. I've heard that it's called a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. Try it!

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2013 bottle.

A: Pours a clear, but nearly opaque black with ruby/plum-tinged light passing through the edges and 1/4 finger of mocha-colored head that quickly dissipates.

S: Super deep, rich, bitter, black coffee. Huge coffee nose with only a little detectable sweetness. I did not realize how much coffee to expect in this beer. Other beers have "coffee" in the name. This one puts them all to shame. Seriously. There comes big and hard with the coffee the whole way through the aroma, leaving way for very little else in terms of smell.

T/M: Smooth and cool bitterness of coffee with moderate carbonation and a slight fruity sweetness mid-sip. The coffee up front is really great. The finish, as expected, is bursting with more coffee. Coffee bitterness lingers long past the end of the sip. The mouthfeel is medium, so maybe just a little thin, with just about right carbonation, despite how still the beer looked. I can't detect the oatmeal of this past the coffee... maybe that's why it's a "coffee oatmeal imperial stout" and not an "oatmeal coffee imperial stout."

O: This is really the biggest "coffee" beer I've ever had in terms of how prominently it features the coffee. It's not what I expected it to be, but it's really quite nice. I don't know how often I will go back to this one, and I'm really not sure what I expect from it with age, but it's really a very nice beer. If you're looking for a coffee beer, I've not found a better one.

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin Beer Company