Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

A-nice black body with tan head that quickly disapates
S-okay coffee. Go figure with a name like this right?
T-little bfit of coffee, little bit of oatmeal, little bit of metal taste?
M-medium body and smooth
D-moderate drinkablility. The label makes it seem a lot better than this beer actually is.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12 oz bottle into snifter.

A: Jet black with one finger tan head. Some nice lacing.

S: Coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts.

T: All coffee all the time. A bit of bitter chocolate and roasted malts, but the coffee notes are dominant here.

M: Full bodied with plenty of carbonation.

O: Easily one of the better coffee forward stouts that I have enjoyed. On par with Founders Breakfast Stout and Stone Espresso IRS.

3.97/5  rDev -7.7%

Opaque in body with little cinnamon head. Aroma of coffee, chocolate, cinnamon, pie crust. Chocolate, coffee beans, roast, burnt bread, slight raisin towards the finish, tang/sweet tobacco aftertaste. Heavy bodied with medium carbonation. A bit cola-like. Some astringent flavors come through.

4.17/5  rDev -3%

Served in a snifter

Thanks to injuredreserve for this awesome tick

This is poured from a what appears to be an 08 vintage of the beer. I was surprised since I had figured that I received a new one in the BIF.

This beer pours a super viscous blackness that only can contain a sheen of tan foam on the surface before returning to the oil slick from which it poured. I assume that the age of this beer is to blame for that atrocity. The aromatics are rather pleasant. There are notes of coffee which is rather nice, along side that there are smoke and toasted oats. The roast takes an aback to the nice caramel sweetness from the malts. The roast does however show it's head when it comes time to taste. I sampled flavors ranging from coffee to vanilla and sweet caramel butterscotch. I think I also was able to detect some almost fruity characteristics from the body, almost a faint raspberry taste. The body was oddly thin for something that contained oats. This was still a highly drinkable beer, and I wonder to myself what a fresh one might taste like.

Finally a good beer I poured into my tumbler at 45 degrees. I like this company a whole lot. This beer was just about as black as you can get. The beer was nice and rich with a great coffee hot and smooth oat sweetness. ABV is mighty high is the only thing I do not like but it did not blow flavor away.Tasty and I will certainly buy again. I wish I had one right now.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured a pretty oily and viscous pitch black. Which is a pleasant surprise as I find most coffee added stouts are thinned out. Nice foamy mocha colored head with good retention and spotty lacing.

Nose is quite nice. Full of dark nutty oatmeal right off the bat with robust fresh coffee beans. Great coffee bean smell as opposed to coffee.

Coffee is most prominent in the flavor which is great. Also brown sugar oatmeal, roasted nuts and a bit of molasses. Very pleasant coffee lingering aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is great. Very creamy smooth. Full bodied which is great for a coffee stout. Medium carbonation.

Overall this is a very well made coffee stout! Wish I had constant access to this.

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured into my newly acquired Surly pint glass. Deep dark black. No highlights at all. Small half finger head of light brown color. No real froth as I would expect from this.

Smell is awesome!! I am as much a coffee snob as a beer snob so the smell of fresh roasted coffee in my beer makes me happy. That's not the only thing going on here. Deep roasted sweet malts, dark chocolate and a tad boozy.

Taste is such a sweet roasted malt, coffee, dark chocolate bomb!! The booze is there too, but not overpowering. Wow!! Like dessert, German chocolate cake?

The mouth is good but not exceptional like the rest of this brew. The head was kinda flat and never recovered from the pour. Silky, smooth and chewy though. That helps the score.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer. I waited a while to finally try this. Held up to the hype! Highly recommended!!

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Yowee! Coffee, chocolate, and a touch of smokey roasted charred coffee beans. This is a good beer. My woman is packing to move to Atlanta, so I opened this Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout because I figured I'd get a lot more for the cost of shipping pretty soon.

I've had "wake and bake" twice from a 12oz bottle. It's a winter seasonal, and I had it once in January and once now in July. It's definitely better fresh, so this review is a mix from my notes then and my drinking it now.

There's a taste that I've had in a bunch of coffee beers that makes for a distinct "diner coffee" overburnt taste. When this one ages, it appears to push that line a bit too closely. But the appearance is sexy. Dark rich black with a purple tan head that sits on the beer and fades to subtle lacing around the glass.

It smells like coffee first, chocolate second, and dark fruits later on. The oatmeal is there too, but it doesn't need to stand out. Man it tastes good. Sweet sweet sweet. It finishes with a coffee roastiness that's close to burnt, but not quite there yet, and provides a clean finish. That makes this medium bodied brew easy to drink, in addition to being very tasty.

After drinking it, I'm really happy about her moving.

Wait.. I didn't mean it like that!

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

To be as brief as possible: dark chocolate and a bit of plain yogurt covered coffee beans. In a word? Stellar. I'm loving this one.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.51/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, poured an absolutely opaque used motor oil redish black with a short dark brown head that dissipates immediately leaving little lacing, clear and BLACK

S: heavily roasted coffee beans, dark chocolate, roasted barley, earth, molasses

T: immediate flavor of strong espresso, earthy roasted barley, bitter hops, chocolate, sweet malt

M: thick and oily with low carbonation, lasting coffee aftertaste, alcohol well hidden

O: great flavors of coffee mingle with bitter hops, thick body with a slick feel, delicious

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

12-oz bottle poured into a Reidel O series Shiraz glass. Thanks to hellomcfly for the bottle.

A = Dark mahogany, dark red brown head that foamed up but dissipated quickly leaving a thin layer of medium brown foam on surface.

S = I must be at a coffee bar, mostly I smell fresh ground and brewed Yemen Mocha, lurking underneath that I get small traces of bitter chocolate, cherry scented tobacco, unripe plums. Quite complex and interesting, if all of the smells were a little better blended this would have garnered a higher score.

T = Very enjoyable, strong flavors of strong bitter coffee, yes, but much more, Baker's chocolate, not quite ripe cherries, half-cooked rye bread dough. Long bitter finish.

M = Extremely luscious smooth creamy mouthfeel. Heavy body, perfect level of foamy carbonation, great mouthcoating. Awesome mouthfeel.

D = This is an extremely approachable Imperial Stout. The coffee is perfectly done. If it weren't an ABV bomb, I'd say it would be awesome for breakfast. Very highly recommended.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%