Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,229 | Hads: 3,615
2.6/5  rDev -38.5%

Drinking 09' vintage.

Vigorous pour from 12oz bottle into my HOTD snifter produced a one finger mocha colored head which quickly dissipated and left no lacing.
This is a beautiful beer and i'm looking forward to it smell and taste to follow suit.

S: Dominated by coffee with some hints of chocolate.

T: The first couple drinks were pleasant enough as the full coffee flavor was not present. As this puppy warmed up, the coffee flavor dominated and I didn't pick up any alcohol at all. Eventually all I could taste was a smoke infused coffee concoction.

M: Modest mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation, but the smoke flavor was over-powering.

D: Not too drinkeable for me. The smoky flavor was too much. I realize this is a coffee stout, but the flavor is just not balanced at all.
I've enjoyed many other coffee stouts, but this one just didn't do it for me.

D: Not too drinkeable to me. (899 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into an Ommegang tulip glass.

A- Pours a opaque pitch black, with barely a half inch khaki head.

S- Ground coffee right away, espresso. A bittersweet mocha aroma backing that up.

T- Overwhelming coffee on the first taste then the bitter chocolate creeps in and balances it all out nice. I think the oatmeal helps smooth it out a lot and the 8.1 abv is nearly undetectable. The bitterness ended mid palate which gave a great smooth finish.

M- Made the mistake of taking my first sip at fridge temp. It was too thin and almost watered down while cold. Letting it warm to room temp. did wonders for this beer, ended up light but very creamy. Very smooth.

D- Enjoying this beer at room temperature is key, smooths it out a lot, and gives more balance to it. The alcohol doesnt really come through much , but a sipper for the fact it such a rich, flavorful brew.

What a treat. (898 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -1.7%

A fantastic extra from a fantastic trader rhong187

A really dark burnt chocolate with a dark mocha head that caps a two fingered head that doesn't look like it is going to be going anywhere anytime soon. As the beer gets drank and warms down, head stays and turns a deep ruby red  Alot of carbonation coming from the bottle and gives this beer a real live look.

Stinks like chocolate and carmel, like alot. Overwhelmingly so almost. Really sweet malts, and the coffee smell isn't really present, but the oatmeal is really strong.

Smooth, strong, harsh, and velvety all at the same time. Like wow I am getting so many different flavors it's taking me forever to describe it. First impression is like biting into a milky way bar, really great chocolate bite with a creamy caramel feel. Warm chocolate oatmeal with an expresso finish. A blend of great flavors that I wish I had more access to during the year.

A really great dessert beer that complemented a red velvet cupcake beautifully. Def a sipper, but one that needs to be enjoyed slowly.

My beef with this beer lies with the mouthfeel. I think it is a little too thin. For the amount of flavor that this beer has, I feel like it should have a thicker mouthfeel. (1,229 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Sipping on a 2011 vintage thanks to Bennettrox!

Appearance- Super thick, oily looking, with very minimal head. Turned very quickly into a thin ring of brown around the edges of my snifter.

Smell- COFFEE. Behind that some dark cocoa, and just a touch of vanilla.

Taste- Tons of coffee and sweet cocoa upfront, with a solid roasted malt backbone. As it warms up, you start to pick up a slight vanilla note behind everything. No alcohol taste at all, but you get the warmth from it as you swallow.

Mouthfeel- Very thick and coating. Minmal carbonation, perfect for the style.

Overall- Was really looking forward to trying this one and I'm glad I got to. FBS was one of the first beers I really fell in love with, and this goes toe to toe with it. I just wish I could get it in my area! Very solid beer, and I would definitely give it a try if you can! (854 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

2013 batch served at or just below room temperature (55-60). Initially poured a pretty vigorous head but it died down pretty quickly to a faint tan rim around the glass. Smell is instantly of coffee and rich chocolate. Also some cinnamon. Opaque in color. No light showing though. Taste is initially of bitter chocolate followed by a mellow spiced coffee. To be a year old, there is still plenty of sharp chocolate. Very little in the way of alcohol bite but some boozy warm is still there. Mouthfeel is rich and chewy. To me this is where the oatmeal really comes through. Gives this beer that extra layer of complexity that Founders Breakfast Stout lacks. Such an incredible beer and really the cutting edge of the breakfast/coffee style in my opinion. Hopefully I will have the patience to lay a 2014 bottle down for more than a year. Would love to see a barrel aged variant of this in the future. (900 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I nearly shit my pants when this beer come up at a bottle share, and the guy poured five bottles each from one of the past 5 years. So a 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, and 2009. I have just entered the world of aging beer and this was exactly what I needed to excuse me from cleaning off another shelf in the basement. I was excited because Wake N Bake was one of my favorite beers this Winter, however, I believe heartily that mixing Wake N Bake and a Chocolate Moo Hoo together should be a national treasure. Will aging it possibly change my preferred method of consumption? We'll see.

Smelling 2013 and then 2009 and I would be ignorant if I didn't say there is a world of difference. The coffee in the 2013 is dominant if not brooding and the 2009 smells sweater, but also slightly plain. When I tasted the 2013, I definitely got that early morning kick you might need some days. The flavor was sharp with coffee and quite delicious, but I tasted an underlying bitterness.

In 2012, I noticed a drop off in the coffee and it was not as bitter, I preferred this to the 2013, because the coffee was giving way to the sweeter notes of oatmeal.

By 2011, most of the coffee had simmered, the bitterness was gone, and a sweeter flavor had developed. Hands down, this was Wake N Bake in its prime.

By 2010 and 2009, the beer had lost its breakfast flavors and was starting to taste more like a traditional porter, but very easy on the senses. In fact, this vintage would be a great way to introduce someone to a porter or imperial russian if they haven't developed their pallet yet.

Though I will never forget this tasting, I still think that I can get a Waken N Bake where I want it by cheating the system just a little bit and adding some chocolate moo hoo. I've heard that it's called a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. Try it! (1,824 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into my Victory tulip, no bottle date

A: Beautiful deep black with one and a half finger tan head. Very inviting

S: Incredible combination of coffee and chocolate. This smells awesome!

T: Even better than it smells, coffee and chocolate with the perfect hint of bitterness

M: Medium to full,closer to full

D: For the abv. the drinkability is off the charts, this beer is amazing. I had seen this before and based on talk on Ba decided to give it a try.Now i hope i can get more before it is gone. I could easily drink several of these in a sitting. As much as i love Founders Breakfast Stout, i think i might enjoy this one better. Hands down one of the better Imp Stouts ive had. (692 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

IBU – 50
DATE – 27 November 2011
SERVING TYPE – 12 OZ bottle
GLASSWARE – Pup Glass
APPEARANCE – SRM of around 50, nice thick coco brown head holding at 2 inches wonderful lacing
AROMA- COFFEE!! Nice roasted malts underneath the coffee, but mostly coffee
TASTE – A nice rich coffee taste with subdue hints of chocolate on the tail end
MOUTHFEEL – Thick and creamy with a good bit of carbonation
CONCLUSION – I look for this beer every year and every it is different. This year is a blast of coffee and I love it. One of Terrapins best
-JH- (676 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Though Terrapin is readily available locally, I haven't seen this one. A good buddy brought this bottle back from a quick trip down to GA.

Poured from 12 oz bottle into large snifter producing a half finger of milk chocolate colored head that fades over a short amount of time. Aroma is huge coffee... this one smells like a strong cup of dark roast coffee only without the heat and steam! The enormous taste took me by surprise. Dark espresso with hints of dark chocolate and... you guessed it, oatmeal. I could seriously drink this with my breakfast... It's for coffee lovers indeed, but perfectly balanced so that the sweet malt backbone only enhances the combination of flavors. Carbonation is spot on, but lacing is surprisingly minimal. Mouthfeel is great and the drinkability.... well, lets just say that I normally take a good bit of time to drink one of these... letting it warm before the finish. I couldn't quit bringing the glass to my mouth. Well done Terrapin, I've finally found one that I like more than Founder's BS... and that's saying A LOT. (1,062 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -3.3%

2010 vintage 12oz bottle served into a trolls tulip. As always I love this glass!!

A- Nice coffee black with a light milk chocolate head. The head dissipates quickly into a minimal lace that holds steady. Appears thick in the center but light on the ends.

S- So nice and smooth. I get lots of coffee and chocolate. A light faint sent of roasted malt lingerers towards the end. Lots of vanilla and oatmeal followed by sweet molasses. Fresh baked cookies dipped into coffee, so nice.

T- Nice vanilla and oat flavor. The coffee finds its self at the end in the form of a smooth bitter feel. I get lots of chocolate malt throughout. This is an amazing stout.

M- Nice and creamy. Feels like a great milk stout. Carbonation is slightly heavy but still good for the style. ABV is hidden as good as it gets. I feel like I'm drinking a dessert beer/coffee.

O- For a coffee-oatmeal stout it is one of the best. Truly one of Terrapin's best. I hear they age it in barrels ... O' my. (977 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Coffee, obviously, but especially in a slightly earthy way. Chocolate. Baking spices. A little vanilla. Wonderful bakery aromas in general.

Coffee at the forefront, but doesn't completely dominate. Getting a little root beer. A bit of bitterness cuts nicely into the inherent sweetness. Alcohol blends seamlessly into that coffee bitterness.

The oatmeal works perfectly here - very thick, so smooth, and not at all cloying.

A worthy counterpart to Founders Breakfast Stout. (478 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

APoured a nearly black color from the bottle with a thin bit of creamy brown head

S: Smell consists mainly of bakers chocolate and coffee. I would be hard pressed to identify any other smells through those two.

T: Taste follows smell pretty closely. There's good coffee flavor along with chocolate. A little roasted malt comes through along with just the slightest bit of caramel.

M: Mouthfeel is very thick and velvety. A nice heavy bodied beer to top off an evening.

D: Overall this is a delicious imperial stout. Very drinkable and a fine example of the style. (567 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Vintage: 2011

Serving Type: 12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A: Pours black as night with no light breaking on through. Head is toffee in color and quickly fades. Lacing is tight.

S: Coffee. I could stop here but I will go on...It’s like smelling a room temperature dark roast coffee. No other aromas are able to break through the coffee aroma.

T: Again coffee...dark roast coffee malts to be exact. Coffee bitterness with slight roasted chocolate finish.

M: Quite viscos, but not that that thick. Drinks like a cold coffee. Carbonation is non-existent.

O: Love it! I want more stat! IMO, this is one of the best coffee stouts that I’ve had...and I’ve had FBS & KBS. FBS, just as recent as yesterday. Though FBS may have W-n-B Coffee Oatmeal Stout beat in mouthfeel. Only real difference. (808 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Jet black, typical of a stout. A one-finger chocolate head that shrinks to a paper thin head that tops the glass.

S: Rich coffee and dark chocolate. Very sweet to the smell

T: Very sweet dark chocolate. Roasted coffee as well. Along with milk, all three flavors blend incredible well.

M: Very creamy and low-carbonated. Very thick, but the mouthfeel enhances all the flavors even more.

Overall: This was my first ever try of this delicious beer. Waited a month to try it since its release in Dec. 2012. It reached and exceded all expectations for it, rivaling FBS as the best coffee oatmeal stout out there. (653 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -23.2%

12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A--- Poured a dark brown to black with a thin tan head.

S--- Coffee and roasted malt make up the nose.

T--- Grainy, astringent roasted malt forward followed by a very unpleasant tobacco like flavor. Low bitterness, salty, oxidized and lip puckering dryness in the finish.

M--- Thin to medium bodied with little carbonation.

D--- I had a chance to try a bottle brewed in 06 and it really shined. Unfortunately I did not review it then. I remember this as being a chewy, full bodied stout. This bottle was stale and lifeless. (571 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured from a bottle into my DT goblet...

a: Pours jet black with traces of a dark/brown head that quickly fades...
s: Delicious, fresh, roasted coffee, and chocolate.
t: This one doesn't disappoint. Extremely smooth with a rich coffee flavor and fudgy chocolate finish surrounded by oatmeal cookies.
m: thick and smooth, coats the tongue.
d: I rate this one high for coffee fanatics like myself. Goes down easy and leaves your taste buds satisfied. This one lived up to the hype for me. (488 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

a 2007 vintage courtesy of deuane-thanks.

a solid black pour produces 2 fingers of mocha colored head which reduces quickly into an attractive collar. the coffee aroma seems muted-certainly it has faded in the 2 or so years. regardless, coffee mingles comfortably with fudge, coco, and molasses. i even detect just a hint of licorice-like spicyness. the full bodied coffee aroma is just right-that is, not too burnt or acrid smelling. i feel bad giving this a 3.5 for the aroma, i'm sure it's seen better days, but it is what it is.

the taste it seems has not suffered much over time. i've only sampled fresh wake-n-bake once and i can safely say that the coffee is more muted, but in some ways the flavors are even more well intergrated. the harmony of black coffee and dark chocolate is well done. a clean bitter finish from the hops that have without a doubt faded from the nose.

mouthfeel is spot-on, thank you oatmeal. medium bodied, smooth, creamy, and gentle carbonation. well-crafted, easily could knock back a few on a cold night. alcohol is warming, but does not detract from its drinkability. (1,109 characters)

The most fragrant, flavorful, and delicious stout around. Most of these reviews encompass what I would say about the beer's profile so I won't be redundant. (156 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

12 oz bottle into glass.
A: Dark and darker, creamy, espresso crema like head - 2" but think and dense tiny bubbles that stick around. Head diminishes slowly leaving gorgeous lacing - really a beautiful beer.
S: Wow. Coffee obviously, sweet malts and chocolate comes through, even some sharp hop character.
T: Toasted malts, sugars and cream. Coffee is dominant flavor, but fits with all the malts in it - really amazing. The oatmeal comes through - brown sugar.
M: Creamy, dense, very light carbonation.
D: Easy to enjoy, high alcohol, sip is slowly and its a fantastic beer. Really a great, flavorful stout. (616 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Excellent beer!!!

Appearance: 8-Ball black, and the head is like Domino's dark brown sugar. The lacing on my tulip glass was not very impressive, but well above average.

Aroma: Colombian Supremo coffee, roasted malt, and dark chocolate.

Taste: Espresso, semi-sweet dark chocolate, and fig.

Mouthfeel: Long lasting velvety goodness.

Drinkability: Great after dinner beer!

Note: The dark roasted coffee aroma is in your face good...I mean, go to your supermarket and stick your nose in the coffee grinder good.

Salud! (523 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Absolutely the best pure coffee beer Ive ever had. Maybe? the best beer thats not bourbon county in the world. What i am sure of is its world class status. Been thru 4+ cases since Christmas, and enjoying one this cool Sat AM.

Huge coffee aroma, taste is coffee, vanilla and chocolate. Beautifully malted to handle all that coffee. Drinks so easy, the soft bitters and dark fruit base of the stout really standout as this warms to tempature. Strong, smooth and so satisfying; this beer hits perfection on almost every mark. This is beer. Did I mention coffee? (561 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured 12oz bottle into snifter

A- Burned motor oil black, with a half finger thick mocha brown head, very little lacing that dissipates quickly.

S- Very dark roast coffee, hints of oatmeal. Reminds me of the instant coffee my grandmother used to drink when I was a kid.

T- Strong coffee, hints of dark chocolate and oatmeal, finishes with a very faint sweet milk chocolate.

M- Medium bodied, lighter than I was expecting. Very smooth and creamy, slightly oily.

O- Excellent beer! Very well balanced, and the alcohol is hidden very well. I expected much more booziness out of this 9.4 percent beer. My new favorite non barrel aged Imperial stout. Better than Founder's Breakfast Stout IMO. (696 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

The Monster Beer Tour rolls on....

I could not resist. This beer is labeled "Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout," and "Wake-n-Bake" clearly refers to breakfast, soo.. when my wife and I threw together an easy dinner consisting of "toad in the holes" (eggs cooked over medium in the middle of a cut-out piece of toast), bacon, and cheese grits, I had to crack open one of these puppies.

It poured rich black and of motor oil consistency. Not a trace of light could be found as I searched the edges of my snifter for any bit of color. The nearly nonexistent tan head dissipated quickly. The nose struck me as coffee-ish, with a dominant 70% cocoa dark chocolate aroma. Of course, the greasy food did nothing for the beer, though I will say the beer really brought out the delicate flavor of one of the eggs that was cooked "over hard", rather than "over medium." Surprising? Yeah. The flavor of the stuff was a virtual match of the aroma: Coffee with that super dark 70% cocoa chocolate.

A fruity booziness became prominent toward the end of the glass. Unfortunatly, I was hurried at the end, so I could not sip as slowly as I would have liked. This caused the drinkability to suffer some, but the Mouthfeel was smooth and very rich.

Next time, I'll pair this with some super-dark chocolate... and sip it verrry slowly... as I read the morning paper. (1,357 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours very dark, with a very thin head; about what I would expect from a big-ish beer like this.

Label may have change recently - the example I have has no "best before" date printed in the box provided for such information on the label, but the "wake and bake" line is nowhere to be seen.

Coffee is delightfully understated and the alcohol level is just at the warming threshhold. This could be a sneaky beer if one is not careful. The high gravity level of this beer makes the oatmeal character a bit difficult to pick out, but it definitely falls between the acrid sharpness of a dry stout and the sweet smoothness of a milk stout.

A very pleasant glass; I'd be pleased to have another. (699 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Jet black with plenty of light brown head. Gorgeous looking beer. Lots of coffee and cereal on the nose. Coffee and milk chocolate dominate the taste. Oatmeal or cereal undertones. Big thick body with a full and chewy palate probably from the oatmeal. Seeing how the name applies to mornings, I decided to have one last night for an initial taste but then give my review this morning so that I could really into the breakfast experience. I find this easier than coffee to down. If this were a year-round brew, I would probably take this over coffee every morning.

Ah yes, also last night I finished my beer by pouring it into a small cup of ice cream. This was a wonderful idea. It was like adding a little milk or cream to my coffee. Great morning beer and a great dessert beer. What more do you want, you greedy bastard? (824 characters)

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin Beer Company