Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,245 | Hads: 3,669
4.12/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured into a snifter...

A - pours a very dark brown, almost black with just about a 1 finger head. Not much to the head at all and not really much lacing either but some decent oilyness.

S - fresh coffee beans, some chocolate, soy sauce, very mild malt.

T - rich coffee, a bit of booze, very mild earthy hops, milk chocolate, and vanilla cream. Pretty mocha-like. The flavors are blended together really well and the malt doesn't come through but neither do the hops. This is a very well done breakfast stout.

M - a bit thin, I think it could use a touch more oat to smooth it out. Good carbonation level for the style.

D - this is a well done job by Terrapin. I personally see Founders as a better stout, but I am pretty surprised to not see this beer in the top 100. Oh well, at least it's on mine!

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Jet black body with a very think coffee colored head. Head lasts a minute being very thick and settles to about a quarter inch where it remains.

S - Strong coffee notes up front. Roasted barley, toffee, and caramel play with each other towards the end. Slight Kahlua smell as well.

T - Sweet vanilla and coffee tastes up front and towards the end. In between those tastes a more mellowed earthy coffee taste is present. Pretty strong alcohol towards the end as well.

M - Heavy bodied thick beer. Slight alcohol burn.

O - One of my favorites to look forward to each year. This years batch is another winner. Great coffee presence without complete overkill. Worth trying at anytime you can find it.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Presentation: A 12oz brown bottle with a wicked Terrapin on the front and no freshness date to be found.

Appearance: A beautiful impenetrable brown color with a nice thick head that retained pretty good.

Smell: The aroma consists of a rich Chocolate and oatmeal malt with a little bit of roasted nuts and honey.

Taste: The taste is astonishing. I loved the rich dark chocolate overture with the oatmeal and coffee taste. I’m not sure how they blended this brew but it tastes great and there is also quit a bit of sweetness in this brew but it is perfectly balanced by the bitterness of the brew as well.

Mouth-Fell: Medium to full bodied mouth with a smooth and creamy finish with decent carbonation.

Drink-Ability: I picked this one up at Brawley’s in Charlotte and I really loved it. Next time I am going to pick up a couple more of these to add to the collection.

4.51/5  rDev +6.1%

Big thank you to beeruser for this fine brew.

A - Pours a nice thick black with a DARK brown head. Sweet nectar.

S - Coffee is definitely the stand out here. Not really getting much else. A hint of burnt chocolate malt.

T - Strong coffee flavor as well. Not as much as a fresh FBS but then again this has a couple of months on it as well. Smooth chocolate to combat the bitter coffee. Not a bit of alcohol flavor to speak of at all.

M - Not as thick as I want out of a stout but I like the carbonation. Well played Terrapin. Well played.

D - For 8.1% this stuff goes down EASY. Without a doubt an Imperial Session beer if ever there was one.

I am so glad I have three more. This is a damn good beer.

2.76/5  rDev -35.1%

12oz bottle w/ a turtle on it recieved in a trade

A- Dark Black with tan head goes away quick and not impressive to look at.

S-Wet dog with a hint of coffee, pretty dissapointing

T- Weak flavor, i pick up the oatmeal and coffee

M- Thick and creamy with hints of carbonation

d- pretty much could only have one of these

4.23/5  rDev -0.5%

Note: Label reads, "W-N-B Coffee Oatmeal Imerial Stout".

Vintage: Seasonal 2010

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black in color. No light whatsoever is coming through, less than 1 finger worth of mocha colored head which dissipates to a small layer of foam. Decent lacing, which I wasn't excepting, alcohol legs are noticeable as well.

S: Nose is amazing! Espresso coffee beans, big bittersweet chocolate notes, some black licorice as well. Harmony is the key here, no one takes lead, but every note hits evenly.

T: Same as the nose. The bitterness from the coffee, the chocolate, but at the back of the tongue it almost gets a bit sweet from the oats and finishes clean.

M: Full bodied, viscous. Silky mouthfeel, but doesn't coat my mouth as I thought it would. ABV is 8% is not noticeable at all and does a good job cleansing the palate.

4.42/5  rDev +4%

Figured it's time to start adding reviews from my notes taken over the years for records sake, and to add to the BA community that has helped ever so much over the years.
Picked WnB as my first - one of my all time favorites.

A - Dark black with almost a very faint tan hue coming through. Pours surprisingly thin for the color. Half a finger brown head dissipates quickly.

S - Coffee, coffee, and more coffee. When tasted fresh this is an absolute coffee bomb and I love it. Could probably have just as much pleasure smelling this as I could drinking it.

T - Just like it smells, coffee hitting the palate almost immediately but not completely overpowering. Chocolate, a touch of caramel, and toasty malts linger.

M - Fairly high amount of carbonation, but that doesn't take away from this fantastic beer. Almost silky smooth as it goes down. Surprisingly drinkable!

O - One of my all time favorite imperial stouts. Look forward to it every year and could easily put away several in one sitting. For all coffee lovers this is an absolute must try!

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks to Prescott and David first and foremost!
A: pitch black with a light khaki 2 fingers thick head
S: espresso that mellows out to a vanilla latte mocha. Very intense and complex
T: as the nose depicts, coffee flavors meld with vanilla and chocolate. Some tinges of charred wood and a hint of coconut?
M: medium bodied but very creamy.
O: the hype is not hype but rather accurate for what fellow BAs state about this brew. Very tasty and worth it. Just wish I had open access to this one. May be able to compete with Founders breakfast stout!

4.08/5  rDev -4%

Big thanks to NCVBC for this one in a recent trade! One of the fastest trades I've done in awhile as it took less than a week. Anyway, on to the review....
A-It pours a beautiful dark brown/black with a nice looking dark rich brown cocoa colored head puffs up about an inch or more. Looks thick... Cola colored edges when held up to the light.
S-Coffee, dark chocolate, and a sweet smell like a dark fruit... fig perhaps.
T-Creamy taste on the initial sip... followed by a mildy astringent coffee ground mixed with dark chocolate. A drying almost earthy mix in there as well...The final finish of the taste is a sweetness almost like the remnants of a chocolate chip going down.
M-Well carbonated, thick and decently creamy. Got a good thickness to this one....
D-While I like it alot, the thickness and richness on this one would probably prevent me from having more than a couple in a row. This is a treat meant to savored anyway.
It reminds me alot of a local brew, Devil Made Me Do It which is one of my favorites. My first Terrapin beer and I'm really glad I got a chance to try this one!

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

12oz bottle poured black with a one inch head that falls fairly quickly into a brownish white covering. The smell is chocalate with a hint of coffee and vanilla. A small roasted malt aroma, but not much.

The taste is sweet in the beginning with overtones, like in the smell, of chocalate, vanilla, coffee, and ends with a nice bittterness. This is not a monster imperial stout, but a very nice rich brew. This would be a good introduction into the style because it is not over the top. The mouthfeel is creamy and full which makes this beer's overall drinkability very good.

I like this beer a lot. It is not the best in its catagory, but a very solid stout that you could drink regularly. I am already looking forward to the next release since I am down to my second to last one.

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter

A: Dark almost completely black with a slight reddish tan head that quickly dissapates.

S: Strong coffee smell with roasted malts and a little sent of hops

T: Coffee taste with roasted malts. Very smooth and thought there would be more of a coffee taste but just right

M: Medium carbonation with a little bit of hops with the roasted malt feel

O: This is one my favorite beers. Fantastic mix of malt and coffee, where the coffee is not overwhelming at all. Highly recommend

4.76/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Wanted to wait for the weekend, couldn't help it.

Pours a deep black with a thin tan head that quickly dissipates, leaving slight lacing.

Gorgeous smelling beer. Heavy roasted coffee, sweet caramel, vanilla undertones, a hint of banana, and some spicy peppery heat. Not what I expected, better.

Yes. I'm so happy with this. Bittersweet coffee, so roasty, bitter dark chocolate, slight peppery finish. Sweet and so so delicious. The ideal morning beer. My God.

Super smooth and full bodied. Coats the entire mouth with goodness. No alcohol burn or taste. Perfectly carbonated. I'm blown away.

I think every single facet of this beer is perfect. My new favorite stout and possibly my new favorite beer. I love everything about this.

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured a light sucking crude oil beckoning black. There was surprisingly about two fingers of deep tan head that lasted longer than a bad hangover. Strong smell of coffee grinds and roasted malts. Strong taste of coffee grinds and roasted malts. As the past two sentences insinuated there was no surprise when I had my first sip. The mouthfeel is not quite as heavy as I would have suspected which is great. Alcohol presense is masked fairly well. It is slightly noticable on the back of the throat (that's what she said). Overall it tastes like a extremely delicious cup of joe but in beer form which makes it even better. I had one last year and for some reasons this year's batch seems a little more drinkable.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

From bottle to Duvip.

A - Pitch black. I mean, black like the basement in the final scenes of "Silence of the Lambs". Beauty of a dark brown head. Just like I want my stouts to look! Fair lacing.

S - Strong coffee and chocolate notes. A bit of metallic scent drops this down a point from stellar. Still, wonderful bouquet on this one.

T - Amazing. Strong coffee and chocolate notes follow the aroma. Earthy notes from either the hops or the coffee, most likely the coffee. I want some of whatever this coffee is for the morning! Great choice. Aftertaste is black coffee with a bit of roasted malts and toffee.

M - Very, very good mouthfeel on this one. The oatmeal really gives it the thickness it needs and carbonation is spot on.

O - I actually enjoyed this more than FBS. It's better in my mind, but only by a tad. Outstanding beer.

3.98/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a La Fin du Monde Snifter.

A: Pours a opaque black with a 3-4 inch bubbly mocha head from an aggressive pour. Head remains for some time before receding into the beer.

S: Dark Chocolates, Strong Coffee, Malt and perhaps some noticable booze.

T: Very Coffee forward at the beginning, lots of chocolate and Malt flavors, Boozey in the back end.

M: Nice Mouth feel, perhaps a touch thinner then expected but still very nice.

O: Very good and tasty perhaps a little more booze then I would like as I do not think I could drink more then 1 or 2 of these in a session.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Sipping on a 2011 vintage thanks to Bennettrox!

Appearance- Super thick, oily looking, with very minimal head. Turned very quickly into a thin ring of brown around the edges of my snifter.

Smell- COFFEE. Behind that some dark cocoa, and just a touch of vanilla.

Taste- Tons of coffee and sweet cocoa upfront, with a solid roasted malt backbone. As it warms up, you start to pick up a slight vanilla note behind everything. No alcohol taste at all, but you get the warmth from it as you swallow.

Mouthfeel- Very thick and coating. Minmal carbonation, perfect for the style.

Overall- Was really looking forward to trying this one and I'm glad I got to. FBS was one of the first beers I really fell in love with, and this goes toe to toe with it. I just wish I could get it in my area! Very solid beer, and I would definitely give it a try if you can!

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Absolutely the best pure coffee beer Ive ever had. Maybe? the best beer thats not bourbon county in the world. What i am sure of is its world class status. Been thru 4+ cases since Christmas, and enjoying one this cool Sat AM.

Huge coffee aroma, taste is coffee, vanilla and chocolate. Beautifully malted to handle all that coffee. Drinks so easy, the soft bitters and dark fruit base of the stout really standout as this warms to tempature. Strong, smooth and so satisfying; this beer hits perfection on almost every mark. This is beer. Did I mention coffee?

2.6/5  rDev -38.8%

Drinking 09' vintage.

Vigorous pour from 12oz bottle into my HOTD snifter produced a one finger mocha colored head which quickly dissipated and left no lacing.
This is a beautiful beer and i'm looking forward to it smell and taste to follow suit.

S: Dominated by coffee with some hints of chocolate.

T: The first couple drinks were pleasant enough as the full coffee flavor was not present. As this puppy warmed up, the coffee flavor dominated and I didn't pick up any alcohol at all. Eventually all I could taste was a smoke infused coffee concoction.

M: Modest mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation, but the smoke flavor was over-powering.

D: Not too drinkeable for me. The smoky flavor was too much. I realize this is a coffee stout, but the flavor is just not balanced at all.
I've enjoyed many other coffee stouts, but this one just didn't do it for me.

D: Not too drinkeable to me.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

2013 batch served at or just below room temperature (55-60). Initially poured a pretty vigorous head but it died down pretty quickly to a faint tan rim around the glass. Smell is instantly of coffee and rich chocolate. Also some cinnamon. Opaque in color. No light showing though. Taste is initially of bitter chocolate followed by a mellow spiced coffee. To be a year old, there is still plenty of sharp chocolate. Very little in the way of alcohol bite but some boozy warm is still there. Mouthfeel is rich and chewy. To me this is where the oatmeal really comes through. Gives this beer that extra layer of complexity that Founders Breakfast Stout lacks. Such an incredible beer and really the cutting edge of the breakfast/coffee style in my opinion. Hopefully I will have the patience to lay a 2014 bottle down for more than a year. Would love to see a barrel aged variant of this in the future.

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into an Ommegang tulip glass.

A- Pours a opaque pitch black, with barely a half inch khaki head.

S- Ground coffee right away, espresso. A bittersweet mocha aroma backing that up.

T- Overwhelming coffee on the first taste then the bitter chocolate creeps in and balances it all out nice. I think the oatmeal helps smooth it out a lot and the 8.1 abv is nearly undetectable. The bitterness ended mid palate which gave a great smooth finish.

M- Made the mistake of taking my first sip at fridge temp. It was too thin and almost watered down while cold. Letting it warm to room temp. did wonders for this beer, ended up light but very creamy. Very smooth.

D- Enjoying this beer at room temperature is key, smooths it out a lot, and gives more balance to it. The alcohol doesnt really come through much , but a sipper for the fact it such a rich, flavorful brew.

What a treat.

4.16/5  rDev -2.1%

A fantastic extra from a fantastic trader rhong187

A really dark burnt chocolate with a dark mocha head that caps a two fingered head that doesn't look like it is going to be going anywhere anytime soon. As the beer gets drank and warms down, head stays and turns a deep ruby red  Alot of carbonation coming from the bottle and gives this beer a real live look.

Stinks like chocolate and carmel, like alot. Overwhelmingly so almost. Really sweet malts, and the coffee smell isn't really present, but the oatmeal is really strong.

Smooth, strong, harsh, and velvety all at the same time. Like wow I am getting so many different flavors it's taking me forever to describe it. First impression is like biting into a milky way bar, really great chocolate bite with a creamy caramel feel. Warm chocolate oatmeal with an expresso finish. A blend of great flavors that I wish I had more access to during the year.

A really great dessert beer that complemented a red velvet cupcake beautifully. Def a sipper, but one that needs to be enjoyed slowly.

My beef with this beer lies with the mouthfeel. I think it is a little too thin. For the amount of flavor that this beer has, I feel like it should have a thicker mouthfeel.

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Extremely dark brown. Very minimal head that is a creamy brown color. Completely opaque.

S - Coffee, coffee, coffee! Some sweet dark fruits. Chocolate.

T - Sweet chocolate start. Followed by an oatyness that turns into a coffee taste. Finish is a bit bitter/hoppy with some malt. Strong alcohol presence.

M - Fairly smooth, very heavy, lots of burn.

O - Pretty solid stout. Nice and heavy. A little bit sweet, lots of coffee, and not overly bitter.

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I nearly shit my pants when this beer come up at a bottle share, and the guy poured five bottles each from one of the past 5 years. So a 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, and 2009. I have just entered the world of aging beer and this was exactly what I needed to excuse me from cleaning off another shelf in the basement. I was excited because Wake N Bake was one of my favorite beers this Winter, however, I believe heartily that mixing Wake N Bake and a Chocolate Moo Hoo together should be a national treasure. Will aging it possibly change my preferred method of consumption? We'll see.

Smelling 2013 and then 2009 and I would be ignorant if I didn't say there is a world of difference. The coffee in the 2013 is dominant if not brooding and the 2009 smells sweater, but also slightly plain. When I tasted the 2013, I definitely got that early morning kick you might need some days. The flavor was sharp with coffee and quite delicious, but I tasted an underlying bitterness.

In 2012, I noticed a drop off in the coffee and it was not as bitter, I preferred this to the 2013, because the coffee was giving way to the sweeter notes of oatmeal.

By 2011, most of the coffee had simmered, the bitterness was gone, and a sweeter flavor had developed. Hands down, this was Wake N Bake in its prime.

By 2010 and 2009, the beer had lost its breakfast flavors and was starting to taste more like a traditional porter, but very easy on the senses. In fact, this vintage would be a great way to introduce someone to a porter or imperial russian if they haven't developed their pallet yet.

Though I will never forget this tasting, I still think that I can get a Waken N Bake where I want it by cheating the system just a little bit and adding some chocolate moo hoo. I've heard that it's called a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. Try it!

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into my Victory tulip, no bottle date

A: Beautiful deep black with one and a half finger tan head. Very inviting

S: Incredible combination of coffee and chocolate. This smells awesome!

T: Even better than it smells, coffee and chocolate with the perfect hint of bitterness

M: Medium to full,closer to full

D: For the abv. the drinkability is off the charts, this beer is amazing. I had seen this before and based on talk on Ba decided to give it a try.Now i hope i can get more before it is gone. I could easily drink several of these in a sitting. As much as i love Founders Breakfast Stout, i think i might enjoy this one better. Hands down one of the better Imp Stouts ive had.

4.87/5  rDev +14.6%

Beer/Brewery – Wake-N-Bake/Terrapin
City/State- Athens, Georgia
STYLE – American Double / Imperial Stout
ABV – 8.1%
IBU – 50
DATE – 27 November 2011
SERVING TYPE – 12 OZ bottle
APPEARANCE – SRM of around 50, nice thick coco brown head holding at 2 inches wonderful lacing
AROMA- COFFEE!! Nice roasted malts underneath the coffee, but mostly coffee
TASTE – A nice rich coffee taste with subdue hints of chocolate on the tail end
MOUTHFEEL – Thick and creamy with a good bit of carbonation
CONCLUSION – I look for this beer every year and every it is different. This year is a blast of coffee and I love it. One of Terrapins best

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin Beer Company