Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2011 vintage poured from a 12oz bottle courtesy of Bulbman into a Dogfish Head Snifter.

A: Jet black motor oil pour. Aggressive pour leads to a chocolate foam colored 2 finger head. Bubbles fade slowly leaving sticky and thick lacing.

S: Big aromas of coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts. Not totally overpowering but smooth and silky and delicious.

T: Perfect balance of a delicious cup of coffee blended with pure dark chocolate bready chocolate malts. There is no presence of the alcohol in this 8.1% Impy stout.

M: Medium bodied with a finish that's a touch thin but only bothersome because I'm being nitpicky. Viscousy coating of my mouth leaves me reaching for more.

O: A delicious coffee oatmeal stout. I really wish this was local. It's not dethroned FBS but man this is one I could drink a lot of.

4.51/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Got a four pack in a trade with bradcochran1234.

Pours out black with chocolate highlights around the edges. Small head, no lace.

The smell is heavy on the coffee, a bit of chocolate and earth are in there as well.

Mmm, very smooth roasted black coffee starts the taste. Chocolate, earth and molasses follow close behind. Oatmeal makes a nice appearance too. Goes down like carbonated silk!

Excellent Oatmeal/Coffee Imperial Stout. Ranks up there with Speedway by Alesmith and Péche Mortel by Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel! Glad I saved two for the cellar.

4.51/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, poured an absolutely opaque used motor oil redish black with a short dark brown head that dissipates immediately leaving little lacing, clear and BLACK

S: heavily roasted coffee beans, dark chocolate, roasted barley, earth, molasses

T: immediate flavor of strong espresso, earthy roasted barley, bitter hops, chocolate, sweet malt

M: thick and oily with low carbonation, lasting coffee aftertaste, alcohol well hidden

O: great flavors of coffee mingle with bitter hops, thick body with a slick feel, delicious

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Oh that head! I love when I get a stout with head that dirty, muddy color and not looking like whipped cream that has set out too long. B-E-A-utiful!

S: You can smell oats! I mean it like breakfast in your bottle. There is a great little coffee scent too, so it is even a balanced (or at least at my house) breakfast. Love this beer and brewery so much!

T: So wild. I starts off like any other coffee-ish stout and you think it'll have a lot of mocha and a little bur, but then you get that great smoothness from the oat notes.

M: Heavy, but the way it should be. Great thickness but doesn't stick around longer than necessary. I will need to brush my teeth afterward...but I'll regret it.

O: I have bought this a few times in that past. Consistently pleased. I really appreciate and enjoy what those folks at Terrapin are going for!

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Pitch black color with a solid one-finger mocha-colored head that settles to a thin lacing
S: Quite strong coffee, fairly bitter, with hints of vanilla and wheat
T: Loads of bitter coffee up front with a bit of malt coming through but this is one of the most one-dimension coffee flavored beers I've ever had... in a very good way. If you like coffee, give this a try. If you don't, it's your loss
M: Medium-bodied, bitter from the coffee, with a medium-length coffee-esque bitter finish
O: Very intriguing- if I didn't know better, this would be one of the better iced-coffees I'd had the pleasure of drinking from my local barista. As is, it makes for a very enjoyable beer as well :)

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from bottle purchased at flying saucer in Nashville. Pours a deep black with tan sticky head into pint glass. Thiss looks awesome.
Smell is nothing short of orgasmic. It literally smells like a cup of coffee. ..with a slight hint of roasted malts.
Taste is just perfect coffee. ..espresso really. Not much else...
I wish I can break this down into more flavors but I cant. Its alcoholic coffee and its amazing. Quite possibly my fav coffee brew out there.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle into SB chalice. Nice looking motor oil black with inviting 1+ finger mocca head. Smell is straight coffee, chocolate and burnt wood. Taste follows the nose closely with a big dose of the coffee hitting on the front. I get a bit of alcohol on the front as well and some smoke, but just a touch. Chocolate was quite hidden, but a fairly well balanced brew. Minimal hop finish, as the coffe hits again on the end. Feel is good for the style. A rich, thick, creamy, well carbonated hit on the tongue. Overall, a very good beer that I wish had a little more malt/chocolate and less coffee. Don't get me wrong, I'm splitting hairs. It's a top notch beer that 's name fits it perfectly. If you are a coffee strong beer lover, this is all for you. I will be drinking another very soon and might mix it with the Moo Hoo to see if I can get my chocolate. A must try-

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin Beer Company