Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial StoutTerrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Dan3279

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have been eying this beer for a while now and I have to thank my friend Phelps for hooking me up with a bottle this past weekend.

I poured the 12oz bottle into a snifter glass to find a deep black body with a nice tan colored head that left very little lacing.

The aroma was simply fantastic, so simple yet so powerful, you get the chocolate and coffee hints first and then some roasted malts.

I thought that the flavor was exceptional. A bit toned down from the aroma but an absolute joy to sip and drink. The flavors are blended together so well and the alcohol is very well hidden.

The medium carbonation is perfectly balanced with texture of the beer and its very easy to drink and enjoy. I took my time drinking this one and I probably wouldn't drink more than one in a single sitting unless it was the dead of winter and I was snowed in for the night.

Overall a fantastic beer and I can't wait for the fall to have my uncle in Atlanta pick me up a 6 pack!

06-14-2011 01:10:28 | More by Dan3279
6thomas3

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Preface: Seasonal 2010

Appearance - Dark and sulky blackholesque coloration provides zero light penetration or escape once beyond the event horizon, gorgeous half inch chocolate brown head with generous head retention and full bodied lacing adheres to the side of my mug

Smell - Brilliant coffee notes, deep and rich cocoa aromas permeate throughout with subtle burnt wood chips wrapped in a delightful sweet smelling chocolate

Taste - Exceptional coffee and chocolate milk flavor on a medium body the strikes fiercely with creamy alcohol

Mouthfeel - Magnificent smoothness, uniform bite, and an impressive slick feel blend all these wonderful flavors in an exceptional manner that challenges the palate with complex interaction

Overall - Glorious beer that I have lofty regards for and would recommend to anyone

06-11-2011 20:12:43 | More by 6thomas3
nataku00

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

Bottle poured in a tulip glass. Beer poured a pitch black with barely half a finger of mocha color creamy head. Head dissipates almost immediately to a thin collar of head that is barely there along the edge of the glass. A few patches of lacing is left on the edge of the glass sticking nicely, but mostly just spots of foam.

Good amount of roasted malt and darkly roasted coffee, milk chocolate, but there is this strange metallic note that detracts from the beer. I've had a few Terrapin beers prior and they both had this off aroma of metal as well.

Roasted malt, chocolate and a dark roasted coffee as in the nose. Fairly robust roasted flavor, lingering into a creamy and slightly sweet and sticky finish.

Full bodied, sticky and viscous on the tongue. Alcohol warmth on the back of the throat after taking a sip, along with a slight metallic aftertaste.

06-10-2011 03:53:10 | More by nataku00
mdaschaf

Washington

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Been waiting a while to try this one!

A: Poured into my DFH signature glass. Pours an extremely deep brown/black, kind of hard to tell. A one finger brown head forms on top and quickly dissipates to a thin layer of brown on top. Nice sticky lacing for style.

S: Deep chocolate aroma, not much coffee, but some roasted malt and a bit of vanilla. There is an oatmeal sweetness that comes in near the end.

T: Was surprised there wasn't much coffee on the aroma, but it is certainly present in the flavor profile. There is a nice mixture of rousted malt, some chocolate, and light oatmeal sweetness.

M: Medium to full bodied with a nice level of carbonation. Slightly dry and bitter finish.

O: Very enjoyable, like that it has a relatively low abv for an imperial stout. As someone who does not like coffee, this is a coffee stout that I can handle. Not over the top at all, and with a heavy hand of chocolate to offset it.

06-09-2011 02:12:50 | More by mdaschaf
sirdillon

Oregon

3.58/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Received as an extra from tclapper. Thanks!
2010 vintage

A- Pours black and oily, with little to no head at all. This looks quite dense and heavy. Nothing much to say about this, looks like black liquid.

S- Smells pretty much identical to a chocolate malted milkshake. Milky malty chocolate, vanilla, and maybe a bit of coffee. It could just be there because I expect it to be there though. Overall a great smelling stout.

T- Coffee is definitely in the taste, but not in the quantity I expected. Taste is mostly dark fruits, espresso, toffee, and something I can't place. Not bad at all, but somewhat average. I would say that's due to the aging, probably some of the coffee flavors and aromas fell out a bit.

M- Fairly heavy, but there's plenty of carbonation here to keep things lively. Not as oily as I might have liked considering the oatmeal.

O- I'd love to try this fresh, as I feel like some of the coffee characteristics have fallen out, leaving the rest of the beer a bit naked.

06-07-2011 00:56:25 | More by sirdillon
badboyrsl84

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours thick viscous black fluid in to a pint glass with a beautiful mocha color head.

Smells - like a chocolate chip cookie batter. Semi sweet chocolate chips, vanilla, with a touch of coffee. Hmmm mmmm mmmm.

Taste - I wish the taste followed the nose a little more. More bitter than sweet chocolate but coffee shows up in the taste. A plus. Bitterness from the chocolate and coffee follows throughout from start to finish.

Overall - oatmeal stouts aren't my favorite but this one works. The smell is my favorite part of this brew.

06-06-2011 03:03:56 | More by badboyrsl84
projectflam86

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Seasonal 2010.

A- Pours a thick jet black color with a tiny off-white head that leaves little lace.

S- This is a dead ringer for cold black coffee.

T- Much like the nose but more intensified. Roasted black coffee with some dark chocolate and maybe a touch of vanilla bean. A hoppy bitterness and some heat from the alcohol add to the finish.

M- Medium bodied and a touch thin for the style. The low carbonation goes better than expected with the huge coffee flavor.

O- This one is a coffee lovers dream.

06-05-2011 02:54:30 | More by projectflam86
aapp

Vermont

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Thanks for wcholif for this beer 2010 vintage
Look:Pitch black no head at all

Smell:lots of chocolate and coffee

Taste:Same as the smell lots of coffee and chocolate

Feel:Silky smooth low carbonation

Overall:Good oatmeal stout would like to try this beer fresh would drink agin if I had the chance

06-04-2011 23:53:47 | More by aapp
HuskyinPDX

Washington

Taken from notes on 4.6.11

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a dark brown, oil like with a good thick dark brown head.

S - Smell like old coffee and oatmeal.

T - Older coffee.

D - Good Carbonation.

O - I did not enjoy this 09AA vintage, but I did like the 2010, that is what I will score.

06-02-2011 03:40:36 | More by HuskyinPDX
Khazadum

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Friends in town, sharing beers, no real chance to truly enjoy a blind beer until tonight after work. Perfect couple days to blaze through the last stretch of beers. What an awesome collection so far. Can't wait for this #7 one into my Intelligentsia/FFF snifter.

Great head development resting upon the jet black nether regions. Deep milk chocolate froth dissipates to a respectable collar and batman signal silk screen in the center.

Mmmm huge burnt chocolate notes coming off this one. Russian Imperial Standard-tastic if I've ever smelt it. Opened up bitter dark chocolate with a transition quickly into burnt acrid grains. That cloyingly harsh smell with background noise of plums and other dried dark fruits. As you continue to inhale deeply the burnt grains lose their roasted nature. It no longer has that pleasant toasted grain aroma and begins to turn more into char and ash. In fact, this is as close to an ash tray aroma as I've had in a year. Very much so the ending hints are tinged ethanol, and cigarette stubs.

Right as I begin imbibing it I'm hit with the flavor of raisins and ethanol. Nice minor alcoholic bitterness complimenting the rising roasted and charred grain elements. After these two transitions, there is the undeniably characteristic flavor of ash. This burns itself out leaving this nice roasted character. Not roasted grain, coffee? No.. can't be. Not strong enough. I'll go standard roasted grain before the finish. Which is thankfully mostly dank fruits, a bit of bitter dark chocolate, and hot volatile ethanol. Simple, but definitely tasty. The more I drink it, the more I notice the ethanol never truly working itself in, weaving annoying rather than delightful.

Creamy, thicky, chewy. This has a full body that comes kickin' and never quits. A bit of heat, but never overwhelms. Keeps itself well mannered while its full luxurious curves smack around my mouth. Minor prickly nature about a quarter of the way through, some light carbonation. Almost syrupy. The alcohol is up there, but nothing offensive. High seven or low nines.

I like this standard RIS but its too thick and chewy to be just a plain RIS. Something crazy is going on with it that I wish I could pinpoint it. I'd say its creamy enough to be oatmeal based, but I don't think I can claim that with any certainty. I really wish it didn't have the ashtray characteristics, but they are so minor that they just detract from my personal preference leaving the beer still very good.

Reveal is... Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin... aww shit. Trust your instincts people! I missed all the major cues. Going back and drinking it, I'm finding more coffee flavors that I just discounted as extensions of other areas. I'm seeing how this thick, beautiful beer could be an imperial oatmeal stout. Talk about a tasty beverage! It was on my wants and definitely belonged there. Thank you so much!

06-01-2011 05:06:10 | More by Khazadum
UCLABrewN84

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to SamuelJackson45 for sending me this one!

Terrapin Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout.

2010 vintage.

Pours a super pitch black color with a 2 inch super dark brown head that fades to a small puffy cap. Nice rings and latticework of lacing line the glass on the drink down. Smells very rich with roasted coffee beans, toasted oats and dark malts, and some bittersweet baking chocolate. Taste is also very rich with a complex blend of sweetened coffee, toasted oats, and chocolate syrup. There is also a slight vanilla flavor I am getting as well. There is a low but still bubbly level of carbonation that is perfect for this beer. Very smooth and creamy in the mouth. Overall, this is an awesome stout and something I could see myself stocking up massive quantities of if it was distributed in my area. I am super glad I have one more of these in my cellar.

06-01-2011 04:07:51 | More by UCLABrewN84
TIMMYJ21

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Got in trade last week, drinking one as i type

A - A dark, super black, smoke like look. nice head, and head retention.

S - lots of nice coffee and, pretty strong Chocolate flavors prevalent also.

T - very quality Coffee hits you. Deep roasted malts, kind of sweet. awesome breakfast beer.

M - Low carbonation, very smooth,coats the mouth a little .

O - It's a great coffee stout, my favorite so far in the coffee stouts ive had, its a pretty strong brew, nice aftertaste. A beer that you enjoy early and slowly or a late night treat!

05-28-2011 15:17:16 | More by TIMMYJ21
aasher

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

This beer was sent by Avagadro as an extra in a recent trade. Thanks Aaron! It pours a velvety black in color with a quickly dissipating beige head. The aromas are of full bodied roasted malts and rich sweet and bitter chocolate. It's highly appealing. The flavors are initially of sweet chocolate before becoming bitter and finished with a nice roasted coffee flavor. It drinks very, very smoothly and full in body. It coats the palate and leaves a nice chocolaty aftertaste behind. Overall this is an excellent brew and a very flavorful one at that. I highly recommend it.

05-21-2011 02:08:21 | More by aasher
tclapper

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

This has been one of my favorite coffee stouts for a while. Last night a buddy and I did a little vertical of '08, '09, and '10.

Appearance wise they all pour about the same, black with a tinge of brown head but not much to speak of.

Nose is where you start to see the differences. 2010 is up front big coffee and roast, 2009 the coffee is there but has a gentler affect leaving a slightly sweeter smell, and 2008 the roast and coffee are just a hint as most of the coffee has faded.

Taste follows what you smell. 2010 had a big rich body with plenty of coffee notes throughout and just a touch of alcohol, although it's hidden quite well. 2009 has rounded out with the body feeling a little creamier and the coffee still there just not smacking you in the taste buds. 2008 tasted pretty bland compared to the other two. I'd say its a solid stout still on its own, but compared to what it once was it's a shadow of itself.

Overall this beer holds up well over time. I'm well aware that coffee fades in these beer, so if you're expectations are to age it and still get a taste bud punch of coffee then you need to skip that and drink fresh. But if you know what you're getting into it's a pleasant surprise when you crack one after 1-1.5 years. The 2008 was definitely pushing it, so I'd keep that in mind if planning to age.

05-18-2011 16:13:53 | More by tclapper
matttttYCE

Arizona

2010 Seasonal release, 12oz bottle poured into my Deschutes snifter. Big thanks to azdback for this one!!

Appearance - There's just something very inviting about a beer that pours dark as night, a few hues of dark brown around the edges with a head of medium brown. Head is about 1/4 of an inch and dissapates almost completely in the time it takes me to go upstairs and come back. Left with just a tiny ring around the edges. No lacing to speak of.

Smell - Before I can even lift this to my nose the smell hits me from about a foot away. This initial smell is like a porter. A closer smell reveals that nice coffee smell, bittersweet chocolate, and that deep, dark roasted/burt barley and chocolate malt. I'm not a coffee person, but I do enjoy the smell of coffee. It's inviting, most definitely.

Taste - Reminds me of a porter again, at very first. But just after that the coffee, bittersweet chocolate, and pleasant roast explode on the tounge. I'm getting a little bit of nutty flavor in there somewhere along with some smokey taste in/around the finish. Reminds me a bit of some nice smoked porters that I've had. This beer definitely isn't one-dimesional, but it's a good, fairly straight-forward brew given the description on the bottle. Also, BARELY notice the alcohol content at all, if just a tiny bit on the way down the pipe. Honestly not blown away by this one, but again, it's enjoyable for sure.

Mouthfeel - I would say medium viscosity. Very rich and smooth like some black coffee I've had in the past, but with some medium carbonation. Not quite as thick as I expected for an imperial stout, but that's not really a bad thing. I don't always like to chew my imperial stouts.

Overall - Overall I like this. I wouldn't really gush over it, but it's good. If I drank more coffee or ever really wanted to drink a coffee stout in the AM I could see myself drinking this when I could get my hands on it. On normal drinking nights, this would be enjoyable every week or two when I'm getting tired of IPAs. Would I want one every time I drink? No. Do I think this is a great nightcap? Absolutely! Overall, I feel like I'd give it a quick rating of a 3.75 out of 5, but 4s accoss the board warrants a 4.0 out of 5. Not my go to beer, but definitely a good offering, especially for those who really love their coffee.

05-18-2011 05:03:56 | More by matttttYCE
Kvlterbm

4.47/5  rDev +4%

12 oz bottle to snifter.

A: Pours pitch black with about half a finger of milk chocolate colored head that dissipated quickly.

S: Coffee and chocolate aromas hit the nose right away, and dominate the smell of the beer. Some roasted malt as well.

T: A blast of coffee right up front that leads into the chocolate. There's a green, grassy hop flavor as well, and chocolate lingers on the palate once that subsides.

M: Pretty much what you want from a beer like this. Not overly thick or thin, viscous, and some nice creaminess.

O: A very solid imperial stout, and a great coffee stout. My first Terrapin beer, but it definitely lived up to its reputation.

05-17-2011 17:33:09 | More by Kvlterbm
cetherid

3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

poured into a tulip

A.

Beer pours dark brown to pitch black. Typical coffee stout appearance. About a fingers worth of frothy deep reddish-brown head that dissipates rather quickly into a thin film.

S.

A huge coffee aroma that was noticeable as soon as the cap came off the bottle. roasted coffee with slight notes of char/smoke, hops and a touch booze.

T.

Similar to nose, but a little one dimensional. Mainly cellar temp black coffee with some slight bitter chocolate and booze. Not a peche mortel but decent.

M.

medium bodied with good carbonation. Similar mouthfeel to a milk stout. Fairly creamy and bitter with a little dry finish from booze and hops.

O.

A decent coffee stout. A little underwhelming in the taste but overall a decent coffee stout. A little hard to come by being Terrapin but this was an extra. I couldve used a little more sweetness

05-17-2011 01:11:53 | More by cetherid
drumminbrewer

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Brad (gimmegumballhead) for this one.

Jet black, slow pouring beauty. Creamy tan head about an inch thick...no lacing.

Wonderful rich coffee nose. Cocoa, campfire and sweet cream/milk chocolate.

First sip is espresso, hot cocoa, a bit of vanilla extract and long, lingering tiramisu taste.

Perfect body for the style. Creamy richness that perfectly matches the big roasty flavors.

I loved this beer. It's easy to go overboard with flavor combinations but Terrapin came up with a real winner here. Not over boosy, malty or bitter...just perfectly in balance. Outstanding.

05-15-2011 17:10:16 | More by drumminbrewer
JoshVandy

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

355mL bottle into Bruery snifter. 2010 vintage.

A- Pours a very dark brown color, almost black, with a beautiful half-finger dark mocha head that dies down rapidly after settling in the glass.

S- For the most part, this is exactly what the name implies. Nice fresh roasted coffee and chocolate notes with a little toasted malt in there as well, but not overdone.

T- Coffee hits me first, followed by the chocolate. A little bit of a hop kick towards the back that's barely there. Simple flavors that are done very well.

M- Viscous and oily. Not too thick, but definitely not thin. Coats the mouth nicely, leaving the flavors to linger for a short period. Very nice.

O- A great example of a coffee stout done right. Definitely rivals Founders Breakfast Stout in my opinion. Simple, yet elegant in it's execution. A well done brew.

05-09-2011 02:15:51 | More by JoshVandy
ChadQuest

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

looks just a shade off of black, or rather a not totally opaque black, with a tan head that fades to leave just the body.
The aroma is good here, this coffee beer got done right, the coffee smells fresh and creamy and chocolaty.
Pretty viscous and oily and coats with flavors of chocolate and coffee foremost which is good because that is exatcly why i opened this bottle, and it is not disapointing as all flavors are done right. Not alot else going on, there is a quick hint of hops on the swallow but nothing to get in the way.

A great coffee stout, low Abv for a Double but the Viscosity makes it worthy of the title.

05-06-2011 01:20:46 | More by ChadQuest
jimixr

Georgia

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Jet black appearance with a dark brown head. Head fades rather quickly to a thick film around the edges of the glass. Lacing is very minimal.

S - A lot of dark chocolate malts. A decent amount of coffee is apparent in the nose. One of my favorite beers to smell.

T - Very chocolatey to start with some coffee bitterness. Dark toasted malt comes through and compliments the coffee very well. Finish is more coffee with a small amount of hop bitterness on the end.

M - Medium to thick body. Carbonation is medium. Seems about right for the style.

O - I really love this beer. A great offering from Terrapin.

05-05-2011 04:05:11 | More by jimixr
Bennettrox

Tennessee

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Figured it's time to start adding reviews from my notes taken over the years for records sake, and to add to the BA community that has helped ever so much over the years.
Picked WnB as my first - one of my all time favorites.

A - Dark black with almost a very faint tan hue coming through. Pours surprisingly thin for the color. Half a finger brown head dissipates quickly.

S - Coffee, coffee, and more coffee. When tasted fresh this is an absolute coffee bomb and I love it. Could probably have just as much pleasure smelling this as I could drinking it.

T - Just like it smells, coffee hitting the palate almost immediately but not completely overpowering. Chocolate, a touch of caramel, and toasty malts linger.

M - Fairly high amount of carbonation, but that doesn't take away from this fantastic beer. Almost silky smooth as it goes down. Surprisingly drinkable!

O - One of my all time favorite imperial stouts. Look forward to it every year and could easily put away several in one sitting. For all coffee lovers this is an absolute must try!

05-04-2011 19:14:38 | More by Bennettrox
Dhren1979

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

Vintage: 2011

Serving Type: 12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A: Pours black as night with no light breaking on through. Head is toffee in color and quickly fades. Lacing is tight.

S: Coffee. I could stop here but I will go on...It’s like smelling a room temperature dark roast coffee. No other aromas are able to break through the coffee aroma.

T: Again coffee...dark roast coffee malts to be exact. Coffee bitterness with slight roasted chocolate finish.

M: Quite viscos, but not that that thick. Drinks like a cold coffee. Carbonation is non-existent.

O: Love it! I want more stat! IMO, this is one of the best coffee stouts that I’ve had...and I’ve had FBS & KBS. FBS, just as recent as yesterday. Though FBS may have W-n-B Coffee Oatmeal Stout beat in mouthfeel. Only real difference.

05-04-2011 03:32:36 | More by Dhren1979
billshmeinke

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured into a tulip. Inky pitch black body. Three fingers of beige head. Retention

Smells of coffee, chocolate and molasses.

Taste follows smell. Coffee and chocolate notes up front, the cookie dough and brownie followed by a light dark fruitiness. Enough roast on the finish to balance things out.

Rich and creamy with smoothe carbonation. A bit of heat going down. Quite lucious.

One of my favorite coffee stouts. Excellently crafted. Wish I didn't have to trade for it though.

05-03-2011 20:03:31 | More by billshmeinke
Gushue3

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

BIG thank you to LittleB for throwing this in as an extra. I tried to hard to get some of these and it always failed.

A- Pours very dark, practically black but i can juust see through in thinner areas while pouring. Sits pitch black in my glass with a one finger dark chocolate head that has little retention and no lacing

S- Exactly what you expect. Roasty malts, coffee, chocolate. Gigantic roasty coffee up front that is potent and is followed by sweet chocolate. Smells awesome. I dont want to take my first sip, just want to smell.

T- Nice coffee roast up front with some chocolate laced throughout. Slightly mellows out in the middle and finishes with dark roast bitter coffee. Very nicely balanced and interesting.

M- about a medium mouthfeel. slight syrup feeling but not too viscus. medium amount of carbonation with tiny bubbles.

O- This beer is great, I had high hopes and it lived up to them.

05-03-2011 00:24:38 | More by Gushue3