Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial StoutTerrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros
2.85/5  rDev -33.6%

A - Just plain black. Tan head that hangs, just a bit of lacing on the glass.

S - Super strong (over-powering) coffee aroma. Not subtle, just coffee. Maybe a bit of dark, bitter chocolate, but wow...coffee.

T - I love coffee. I love beer with a subtle hint of coffee. This is too much. Still a hint of chocolate, but the coffee is ovver-powering.

M - Okay, nothing to complain about, but a bit too carbonated.

O - I was hoping for a better experience, and expected it from a great brewery like Terripan. They just went overboard with the coffee, IMO.

yourchoice, Sep 18, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Duvel Belgian Tulip glass. Picked up a 4-pack at Shop Rite Liquors Hamilton for $10.99.

Appearance: Fantastic dark black, syrup thick pour. A semi-aggressive pour got me a 1/3" medium brown bubbly head. Thick cascading style lacing when my glass is tilted.

Smell: Initial strong dose of dark chocolate, expresso coffee, and sweet roasted malts. Mild booziness in the finish. If this one tastes half as good it smells, it's money well spent. I'm excited to try my first Terrapin beer. Plenty of great reviews out there so I know I made the right choice.

Taste: The first description I can come up with is "WOW"...Dark sweetened black coffee, mildy bitter unsweetened dark chocolate, with a mild caramel finish. The perfect combination of all three of my favorite flavors in an Imperial Stout: Coffee, Oats and Chocolate. What a phenomenal blend they got going on here. Tons of flavor, with no specific one being dominant or overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: A generally medium-heavy beer with just the right amount of carbonation. A nice warm feeling follows with each sip.

Overall: Terrapin nailed it with one. All of the flavors (Coffee, Oats and Chocolate) blend so perfect together. I will be seeking this one out again. Outstanding in every way!!! This is "must try" for Imperial Stout fans. This is one great beer...

cmq103, Sep 16, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

2010 Vintage poured to a duck rabbit snifter

*Beer provided by LSUPT and glass provided by JebediahScooter. Thanks fellas!

Pours a rich dark brown that allows absolutely no light through. A tiny 1/4" tan head forms on top, but fades quickly to a crown. A very small amount of lacing is left behind on my glass.

Smell is of nice sweet coffee, vanilla, chocolate, and slight alcohol.

Taste consists of some roasted coffee malt, sweet vanilla candy, bitter dark chocolate, and some slight caramel. You can definitely pick up some sweet alcohol in this one as well.

A very nice full bodied feel with a light carbonation. Pretty spot on for the style.

I've had this very fresh and now with close to a year on it. I'm unsure which I enjoyed more, but it seems like the the older the vintage the less coffee is present and the more the sweet vanilla and alcohol notes shine through. I enjoyed both very much and this will be a beer a pursue yearly.

DearthVader, Sep 15, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -8.4%

12oz bottle courtesy of Jodan & mnbearsfan, poured into a tulip.

A- An aggressive pour yields three fingers of mocha colored foam atop the very dark beer.

S- The aroma is overwhelming coffee. Some sweet, roasted malt come through, but the emphasis is on the java.

T- Starts off sweet and roasty with a major coffee presence entering mid palate. I detect notes of bitter chocolate and toffee. The finish is sweet and bitter with a lingering coffee aftertaste.

M- Feel is surprisingly light for the style. Appropriate carbonation lends a nice, creamy texture to the beer. ABV is skillfully masked by the wonderful coffee flavor profile.

O- A very tasty offering from Terrapin. The most coffee forward coffee beer I've experienced to date. The flavors meld together flawlessly to provide an enjoyable twist on the Impy Stout style. Recommended.

Sideswipe, Sep 08, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks to sendsilk for hooking this bottle up in a trade.

A - Poured a black color with a brown head that fades quickly to a ring

S - Is a nose full of coffee

T - Just like it smells lots of coffee flavors some roasted malt

M - This beer has a full body with medium carbonation to it

O - This is a well made beer that tastes very good which makes it very easy to drink worth getting sometime to try

armock, Sep 02, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Thanks to Centennial for this awesome beer!
Acquired via trade on 8/25/11, consumed on 8/28/11.
Poured into a Darkness tulip glass, warmed to around fifty-five degrees before doing anything other than appearance and smell.

Appearance- Dark, opaque with tan head (head was very small- less than 1/16") that disappeared quickly, leaving only tiny bubbles coating the glass after each sip.

Smell- Coffee, vanilla, raisins, chocolate, roasted grains

Taste-Espresso, chocolate, light bourbon, vanilla undertone, alcohol comes out at the tail-end, but quickly fades.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied; light, long lasting carbonation; smooth

Overall- This beer is everything I expected it to be. I did not try it fresh, so there is no previous experience to compare it to, but I think this beer aged extremely well. I would love to try another a year down the road to taste what develops with more aging.

Ungertaker, Aug 29, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

A: Extremely dark, opaque, black sitting calmly with very little evidence of any head...in fact, a light khaki colored ring is left along the circumference of my glass...

S: rich coffee laced heavily with oat... slight hint of a chocolate of vanilla presence

T: a mixture of alcohol [cuz its noticeable], chocolate flavored coffee [thinking of caribou], roasted oats, and grain

M: Viscosity is there as it rolls around the mouth and down the tongue..kind of a slimey/oily feel to it, in a good "beer" sort of a way...

O: Pretty darn good and well worth seeking out

vande, Aug 27, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

Again traded as an extra by sgsmfdoom, great stuff. Enjoyed on 7/18/11. Reviewed from notes:

A: Very slight/trace of khaki colored head settles into the slightly viscous black elixir

S: Rich oat/coffee smell. Almost come chocolate on the nose.

T: Sweet tastes up front. Fades to what I perceive as oats intermixed w/ coffee flavors. Dry and roasted finish

M: Some carb but a very enjoyable creamy feel.

O: Really impressed with this beer. Enjoyed it through and through.

gregshead, Aug 27, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +3.3%

Deep blackish pour with a dense tan head. Aroma is ripe -- and I mean RIPE -- with coffee aroma. Also some caramel and toffee notes, and some hints of milk chocolate. Taste is incredible. Just like a cup of gourmet coffee. Very mild bitterness on the finish. Mouthfeel is velvety smooth and not at all oily. Extremely impressed with this beer. If it had less alcohol I might drink it for breakfast every day!

GeorgeAldi, Aug 14, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -2.6%

Dark, inky black colour with a small, creamy dark tan head. Fair head retention. I really like the colour here - just like a well made Americano - but the head is a touch small.

Rich coffee with just a touch of acridity. There's a slight fruitiness as well but the aroma is not as good as the flavour.

Bitter, roast coffee with a mild sweetness and a touch of creamy malt. Just right for waking up in the morning. A light chocolatey edge and mild smokiness lends smoothness to the coffee and makes this quite delicious.

Medium light body with moderately-low carbonation. This is ticking a whole heap of boxes here in terms of "likeness to coffee". I would have expected a little more body from the oatmeal but I still like it.

A delicious cup of coffee in a beer glass. The flavours here are great at replicating coffee and providing an experience reminiscent of morning. The touch of smoke and coffee add complexity and take this to another level.

dgilks, Aug 07, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured into a Dogfish Head snifter. Dark chocolate brown in color a with tiny tan head. Smells of pure coffee. When cold, it's like something out of a trendy coffee shop, sweet chocolate and straight coffee in taste. As it warms, the oatmeal usual suspects emerge. Great balance between all flavors and seriously delicious. Medium bodied. ABV is hidden well. By far the best bang for your buck in flavor and price, when it comes to other coffee stout comparables.

polisanl, Aug 05, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

As I've mentioned before, my wife Lauren is pregnant (with my child). She's about 12 weeks along at this point, and since she's not yet showing we wanted to take one last little vacation, just the two of us. We made our way down to coast to Jekyll Island, GA and stayed at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel, a really nice turn-of-the-last-century hotel with charm and style.
Vacations aren't really my thing, but being married to Lauren I understand they are necessary. I usually have a good time anyway, but to sweeten the deal for me, Lauren usually finds a pub to take me to wherever we go. This trip she took me to Vincent's Pub on the hotel grounds. It's a tiny little place (its 2 rooms couldn't accommodate more than 20 people) with an 8 foot bar, 1 tap, and 18 beers by the bottle. The atmosphere here is very cool, they have autographed photos of past Masters winners and towels from past Ryder's Cup winners (dried sweat and all) framed all over the place. The beer selection includes a couple offerings from Terrapin Beer Company, a Georgia brewery.
I ordered a Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout. The bartender felt the need to warn me that it was an $8 bottle of beer (she seemed to have PTSD from a previous patron's response to the bill), but it was worth every penny. It's dark-brown to black with a creamy brown head. The overwhelming flavor is that of dark roasted coffee with hints of chocolate and toffee. Not too much of alcohol taste despite a high gravity. Epic. Delicious. I wish I had one right now.

HerculesRM, Aug 03, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -19.6%

Bottle (2010)

Acquired via trade
Thanks sendsilk!

Thick and black pour with almost no head and almost no visible carbonation--while pouring this beer I said "Uh oh, this looks flat." That isn't the end of the world in a big stout, but it would have at least looked a lot better with a nice thick crown atop.

Strong, roasty, and sweet aroma. There's quite a bit of coffee front and center, some roasted malt and chocolate--but the coffee cannot be missed!

This is a coffee-forward stout, and I love my coffee! This is good stuff with lots of coffee jumping out of it, a nice roasted malt backbone, some sweet chocolate, and no alcohol presence. Flavorful,...

...though the mouthfeel really fell short and hurt this beer quite dramatically. There was a distinct lack of carbonation, leaving a solid, heavy, oily mixture in the mouth that stuck around. Though an obviously flavorful beer, the mouthfeel was particularly poor, unfortunately.

Would love to try this one again with a bit more bubbly and body, because while an obviously aromatic and flavorful beer, the lack of carbonation really hurt it--certainly glad I tried it though!

ehammond1, Jul 29, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +3.3%

A- Pours a nice deep black color with a beautiful 2 finger tan head

S- Has a big dark bitter chocolate aroma up front,def. some coffee notes. also gettin some roasted malts and maybe even some hop aroma

T- Wow this beer is GREAT, Has a nice coffee flavor up front followed by the dark chocolate in the middle and then finish's with a sweet and creamy alcohol malty bite to it

M-Full bodied with good carbonation

D-Overall this beer lived up the hype it was getting. I would love to get both a case of this and a case of KBS to get me through the year. this is a awesome brew. All the flavor blend well together and its just full of flavor. Def. try this beer out. i don't think u will be dissapointed

zrab11, Jul 25, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -8.4%

I'll start by saying that I'm reviewing this from the perspective of someone who loves coffee and is looking for a coffee-beer love child, even though that person is NOT me. I can appreciate what they are trying to do here, and it worked.

A - Black as the night, with a mocha head that goes on for days and laces my glass like mad.

S - Uh, coffee? Like crushed up coffee beans, fresh roasted black and stuffed up my nose.

T - More of the same, minus the nose bit. The oatmeal is lost here, but the thick smoothness of the Imperial Stout mixed with the sharp tang/bitterness of the coffee produces a unique flavor profile. I can't really think of anything to say but coffee. Coffee, coffee, coffee.

M - The reason I dinged it on mouthfeel is because it actually left some of that nasty coffee-mouth feeling in my gullet. I had to drink something else afterward to get out the taste.

Overall, coffee bomb. Bar none, the most coffee beer I've ever looked at let alone tasted. Not for me, but victory to Terrapin - they hit the nail on the head.

JNewbs, Jul 22, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A Pours a deep black with a beautiful two finger mocha head with some nice lacing

S Coffee is in your face. Some chocolate and some roastiness

T That is an outstanding beer! Sweetness from the malt hit my tongue first with the roasted coffee and bitter chocolate immediately after. Nice bitterness lingers.

M Surpisingly light for a dark stout. Nice carbonation.

O An absolutely delicoius beer! Got this beer as an extra and had it in my fridge for about a month. Very sad that this was my one and only of this beer. I am def going to be seeking this beer out again.

mikul93, Jul 22, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle (Dated Seasonal 2010) into a snifter glass. Again, huge props to Dan3279 for including me in his recent beer acquisitions.

A vigorous pour yields a 2 1/2-finger tan to mocha-colored head of tiny, creamy bubbles. The head slowly settles after a few minutes to a nearly non-existant dusting and thin foam ring. The body is so purely black that this beer may disappear over time due to the Hawking effect. Very little lacing is able to escape the curvature of space time around the event horizon.

Dark, bittersweet chocolate is the most dominating aroma. But that is not to say that the dark roasted coffee bean aroma is slouching. The nose has an earthy, almost wood-like undertone that definitely gives it a welcoming quality.

Contrarily, the coffee overpowers in the flavor. The chocolate adds an espresso flavor that really helps this beer. Sweet and almost creamy, the flavors, while strong, are also easily enjoyed.

Despite the full body and little carbonation, this beer is impressively drinkable. It coats your mouth well without being overly sticky which allows the flavors to mature over an appropriate amount of time.

If I had better access to this beer, it would certainly be a worthy contender for my heart. However, lack of Ohio distribution allows Founders' Breakfast Stout to remain the holder of that key.

output01x, Jul 21, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -7.2%

A: Dead as night pour offers only a washy cinnamon tinted head that dissipates almost immediately leaving no signs of visible lacing.

S: Burnt wood timber and dry roasted nature is fairly strong in delivery. Some dark chocolate was earthy and bitter along with some charred soil and minerality scents rounding things out.

T: Fresh dark coffee roast, hearty with some signs of creamy oats acting as a backbone. Deep bitter chocolate and alcohol is finished out by a bitter roasted nature mixing with some dark fruit upon the swallow (Burnt barley and dark raisins). Not particular big on complexity but fairly big on flavor and bluntness so balances out a bit. Alcohol is apparent.

M: The body is full, silky and smooth in texture with a bit of creaminess. Hold the carbonation.

O: Overall a bit hearty oatmeal with a deep sense of roastedness. Wont be disappointed with a six pack.

beerthulhu, Jul 20, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

Review number 100! I believe I have selected a very worthy choice. For clarity, this is Seasonal 2010, Wake and Bake Imperial Coffee Stout, brewed with Jittery Joes coffee. Many thanks to The GuardianKnot for the chance to taste this one. An extremely generous extra included in our recent trade.

Poured into my Brooklyn Tulip. Pours a pitch black, syrupy dark as night color. Awesome brown/tan head, about 2 fingers. recedes and leaves a tan lacing circle around the glass. Smell- wow. Espresso, dark chocolate, coffee grinds, bittersweet chocolate. Decadent and up there with the best of them. Taste- bittersweet dark chocolate first, espresso coffee second, bitter hops bite third, finished by espresso again. Just so much going on here. Mouthfeel- the thickness of this stout is impressive. Absolutely one of my favorite coffee stouts I've ever had. Drinkability- this says it is 8.1% ABV, it is not detectable at all. I'm going to sip this for awhile and enjoy it. A near perfect beer, fitting for my 100th review.

lnashsig, Jul 16, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

Yowee! Coffee, chocolate, and a touch of smokey roasted charred coffee beans. This is a good beer. My woman is packing to move to Atlanta, so I opened this Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout because I figured I'd get a lot more for the cost of shipping pretty soon.

I've had "wake and bake" twice from a 12oz bottle. It's a winter seasonal, and I had it once in January and once now in July. It's definitely better fresh, so this review is a mix from my notes then and my drinking it now.

There's a taste that I've had in a bunch of coffee beers that makes for a distinct "diner coffee" overburnt taste. When this one ages, it appears to push that line a bit too closely. But the appearance is sexy. Dark rich black with a purple tan head that sits on the beer and fades to subtle lacing around the glass.

It smells like coffee first, chocolate second, and dark fruits later on. The oatmeal is there too, but it doesn't need to stand out. Man it tastes good. Sweet sweet sweet. It finishes with a coffee roastiness that's close to burnt, but not quite there yet, and provides a clean finish. That makes this medium bodied brew easy to drink, in addition to being very tasty.

After drinking it, I'm really happy about her moving.

Wait.. I didn't mean it like that!

afksports, Jul 16, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Very black pour with possibly the darkest head I've seen on any beer. Almost no head and it fades fast, but leaves great (dark) lacing behind at least.

S: Lots of coffee, mixed in with some roasted malt and some dark chocolate. A little licorice behind it all I think.

T: Strong coffee flavor as you might imagine. A bit of roasted malt behind it. There is a bit of chocolate in the aftertaste as well, which is nice because it mellows out the coffee bitterness.

M: Quite thick and creamy. The oatmeal gives this coffee a nice smoothness too that sort of takes down the harsh burnt and coffee flavors a notch.

O: I'm not a fan of coffee but I can still appreciate this beer. All around is quite good; very smooth. If I were a coffee lover I maybe would have given this a solid A.

Dope, Jul 15, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -11.4%

12oz bottle into Portsmouth snifter.

A: Pours black with two fingers of dense dark brown head that faded into a bubby film that left a thin sheet of lacing down the glass.
S: Smells like a coffee oatmeal stout with notes of roasted coffee and dark chocolate. Very sweet and roasted smelling.
T: Follows the nose with a stereotypical coffee stout flavor. Coffee flavor is well roasted but not burnt, and the dark chocolate is smooth and lightly bitter. The coffee adds some acidity to the finish, and the aftertaste has a touch of alcohol to it.
M: Thick body with creamy carbonation and a heavy, creamy mouthfeel. Alcohol mixes with the coffee acidity to create a warming finish.
O: Nothing really wrong with this beer, it just doesn’t knock my socks off, and doesn’t compare to my favorite coffee stouts. That said, this is a good beer. I just felt like I’ve had it before.

scottfrie, Jul 09, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

Look: Pitch black with a nice brown lacing. Looks like a Imperial Stout, a sexy stout at that.

Smell: At first you get a lot of chocolate and molasses with a little licorice. If you let that settle like I did, the coffee appears and smack you in the face.

Taste: First of all let me say what I like about this one the most is the smoothness. Super smooth, any coffee lover is going to dig this beer. You get some chocolate along with some roasted malts. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: No complaints here. Pretty much perfect. No after taste, it maybe could use a little more thickness.... but overall this category is what makes this beer so good.

Overall this a great stout. So great that if possible I would indeed have this every morning upon waking, to get the day started right. Bravo Terrapin, bravo.

Jenkster4, Jul 09, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -11.9%

I wanted to wait until an utterly tacky time to review this brew, but couldn't help myself! Poured from 12oz. bottle into my Founders snifter. Seasonal: 2010.

A: Pours a slightly viscous dark brown/black with a no head. Light can't even begin to try and pry its way through this brew.

S: Bitter roasted coffee bombards my nostrils with every sniff. Some lightly toasted malts are present with just a hint of semi-sweet chocolate bouncing in and out.

T: The coffee is once again there, but not as pronounced as the nose which is rather disappointing. The coffee gives way to some smooth malts and a bitter hoppy/chocolate hybrid.

M: Medium bodied with a nice carbonation. There is a very slight bitter coffee left on the palate, but it doesn't last for very long and isn't that strong.

O: This was the most coffee forward stout I've ever had to date. I was a little let down by the taste being slightly behind the nose, but it was still a nice touch and I could easily see drinking this in the morning with its subtle yet coffee dominated taste.

Treebs, Jul 06, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for half of this bottle

Review adapted from notes taken 2/5/11

Appearance: Remarkably black with a dark brown head - one of the darkest heads I've ever seen - leaves some nice lacing, too

Smell: Rich, freshly roasted coffee - simply exploding with coffee, some burnt chocolate in there, too - roasted and burnt malts in the background

Taste: Not as good as the smell - coffee, coffee, coffee, and some espresso - some burnt malts, chocolate, oats - some slight hops in the background, but most of the bitterness comes from the burnt flavors - some sweetness, too

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, kind of dry, smooth

Overall: Great, but a little too much coffee

Don't get me wrong. I love coffee. And I love coffee-flavored things. But I thought this beer tasted like it was made with 40% coffee and 60% beer. Not that this is really a bad thing, it's just a bit too much in my opinion.

angrybabboon, Jun 30, 2011