Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial StoutTerrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros
wallpaperbag

Alabama

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Sniffed from my carpet where I spilled my entire glass before bed.

Appears to have been very thick, as all twelve fluid ounces spread only a foot or so across the carpet and sank very deep, still revealing a dark-tan-colored amoeba-shaped stain at my feet.

I lean in to get faint whiffs of chocolate and a pungent, stale coffee aroma that intertwined delicately with layers of vanilla and perhaps a smidge of alcohol. It may of been the carpet but I smelled some rubber and lemon bleach as well.

I did not go as far as to lick the carpet. Close, though.

Absolutely delightful!

01-07-2011 10:37:47 | More by wallpaperbag
MADhombrewer

Oregon

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance- Black. Very small ring of head, dark brown in color. Pours almost syrupy.

Smell- Dark chocolate and alcohol are up front in the aroma. There is also a cookie aroma as well. Most likely that is the oatmeal that I smell. Some coffee after it warms up a little bit.

Taste- Dark chocolate chip cookies. Lots of alcohol through out warms the throat as it goes down. The coffee comes out slowly as it warms up.

Mouthfeel- Very good. Heavy, almost slick and sticky stopping before it is too much.

Drinkability- I could drink a couple of these and be just fine. Probably not more than that, though.

I have had this before, but don't remember it being this good. Thanks to Hopsbreath, again!!!!

01-06-2011 02:57:27 | More by MADhombrewer
Hojaminbag

Colorado

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%

I tried this beer a couple of years ago and didn't really like it. Saw it on tap at a restaurant with only a small selection and decided to give it another shot. I still don't particularly like the beer, but interestingly it is for completely different reasons.

The body of Wake n' Bake is black and completely opaque except for edges, and even those are dark brown and slightly translucent only when held up to the light. About a finger of brown head is fairly dense and has OK retention while leaving some decent lacing.

The aroma is mostly coffee with some roasted malt behind it. The coffee is a little bit harsh.

Wake n' Bake is unmistakeably a coffee stout, and coffee is the dominant flavor. My problem with this beer is that the coffee is harsh; bitter and astringent flavors overshadow the pleasant coffee characteristics. A hint of hops lurk in the background and a noticeable amount of roasted malt is there also.

Whatever else I can say about this beer, the mouthfeel is very good. Thick, creamy and full-bodied, just the way a stout should be.

This experience with Wake n Bake was completely different than my first one, and although I like it a little bit more, I still don't love it.

01-06-2011 00:49:57 | More by Hojaminbag
JRed

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Opaque in body with little cinnamon head. Aroma of coffee, chocolate, cinnamon, pie crust. Chocolate, coffee beans, roast, burnt bread, slight raisin towards the finish, tang/sweet tobacco aftertaste. Heavy bodied with medium carbonation. A bit cola-like. Some astringent flavors come through.

01-04-2011 03:53:27 | More by JRed
phishgator

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Large thick tan head and black as night color. There are coffee, choclate, roasted vanilla beans all over this nose. The taste starts with the aroma and then is dominated by the smooth oatmeal and COFFEE flavor. The body is heavy and there is a bit of bitterness both from the hops and the coffee. A nice night cap or vacation starter, but after one you probably won't be back soon.

01-03-2011 16:00:11 | More by phishgator
JISurfer

South Carolina

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Pretty solid offering from Terrapin. I'm amazed I haven't tried it before. Appearance was kind of eh, not much to get excited about. Started out with a nice fluffy head, but quickly died out to a thin/spotty lacing. Taste was very nice, had a great coffee/malty taste, with a slight fruity finish. This is definitely a plus if you're a coffee lover. Probably one of the most aggressive coffee tastes I've experienced in a beer. Definitely a drinkable beer, but only 1, anymore and you could be nice and bloated afterwards. Overall a great beer to enjoy, especially on a cold night.

01-02-2011 23:37:04 | More by JISurfer
trecker

Georgia

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

This is a brew I look forward to every winter here in Georgia.

A: I poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It really is as jet black as other reviewers describe. I didn't get much of a head on it,but there was some tan lacing.

S: coffee. Overpowering coffee. (note: the jittery joe's coffee they use in this is a good roast if you're into coffee.)

T: this brew has a very coffee taste, as you.d expect. I would say the end if the taste is a bitterness similar to that of drinking black coffee.

M: medium to full.

D: I'd say this beer is surprisingly drinkable for as dark as it is.

01-02-2011 23:29:11 | More by trecker
drewd0g

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

poured from a 12oz bottle...
pours jet black with a brown head on it....smells like coffee, and toasty...the taste is awesome...oatmeal coffee chocolaty. the carbonation is pretty low and the head dissipated pretty quickly. pretty thin body for the style, a very good stout. i really enjoyed this beer, will buy it again.

01-01-2011 23:48:02 | More by drewd0g
jc85

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance-Pours a thick jet black, nice 1 finger of light brown head that leaves great lacing. Great looking beer.

Smell- Coffee is the big kicker in this one. Once it started to warm up a bit, i could really smell the oatmeal. Hints of vanilla, and maybe chocolate, but it could just be the coffee brand they use.

Taste- Just like the nose suggests, its alot of coffee, tastes like a cup of coffee that got cold. Great taste for this style.

Mouthfeel- Definitly my favorite part of the beer, really thick and creamy. It just coates your entire palate. Its almost like your drinking cold half and half. I love it.

Drinkability- The alcohol is hidden well by everything else, I could definitly drink an entire 4-pack in a night. I cant wait to see how this one will taste with a little age on it.

12-31-2010 03:46:25 | More by jc85
claspada

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Aromas are pretty much as advertised. Aroma is almost all roast coffee, oatmeal and hints of cocoa and malt. But the coffee is the star for sure; not just shwag run of the mill coffee but quality roasted beans.

This brew tastes as it smells with a truck load of fresh roasted coffee, oatmeal and chocolate malt. Some mild bitterness, but it seems to be more from the coffee than anything else.

The mouthfeel is quite heavy on the tongue. Quite thick and undercarbonated. Almost syrupy but not. Carbonation is quite pronounced at the end of the sip.

Overall I like this beer a lot. It has probably the most pronounce coffee taste I've had in a beer to date. As I mentioned though I wouldn't drink many in one sitting for just that reason. All that being said, I'd gladly drink another.

12-31-2010 03:41:25 | More by claspada
welldigger888

South Carolina

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Pitch black opaque elixer with a nice mocha head and good lacing.
Very excellant morning brew for me!!!
Coffee seems to dominate the nose for me here, but I notice some nice roasty grain too.
Nice bitter roasry grain and black coffee, Creamy sweet mid with a nice dry finish. WOW!!!
Very smooth creamy mouth on this brew.
Very nice on a cool winter morn....

12-31-2010 01:41:39 | More by welldigger888
comfortablynumb1

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Cigar City pint glass...

A - Pours pitch black with a one finger brown head that dissipates at a fairly swift pace. Some lacing sticks around, but nothing to impressive...

S - Coffee, coffee, and more coffee. Also pick up a sweeter scent, but coffee definitely dominates the smell...

T - Chocolate and carmael followed by coffee. Ends on a coffee bitterness. As with the smell, coffee is definitely the main focus here; however, when this one warms a little the coffee subdues, leaving a more mocha finish. Very tasty. Abv is well hidden...

M - Nice thick and creamy mouthfeel with a moderate amount of carbonation...

D - Really enjoyed this one. Coffee was not over the top, as it sometimes is with beers brewed with coffee. Definitely something I am looking foward to trying again...

Cheers...

12-30-2010 19:44:37 | More by comfortablynumb1
nickthegun12

Alabama

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

black as night!....with a tan head....and nice lacing....

smells like coffee....i actually get a strong coffee smell....and some roasted malt smell...

taste is wow!...thick and almost syrupy...massive coffee in the taste...its outstanding...the coffee kinda hinds the heat from the alcohol....

mouth feel is very smooth and velvety...very thick....great feel....

now here is the problem...drink ability is lacking due to the thickness..and high alcohol in this brew

this beer is outstanding!

12-29-2010 23:59:07 | More by nickthegun12
Bendurgin

Maine

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Andy gave me a bottle of this the other day so thanks! Poured into a pint glass. Poured this guy right down the middle. Probably the darkest beer I've ever seen. It looks like black sludge coming out. Thick thick thick! Just a small layer of foam came about rather than much of any head but it dwindled away shortly. It's exactly what I'd figured it would be in the aroma. Tons of rich bitter coffee! Rich molasses and bakers chocolate are present but this is simply dominated by a big coffee aroma. Flavor is definitely sound on this one. Taste like coffee. The flavor on this is the peak of what I would want from a coffee stout. A big coffee flavor with roasty stout characteristics; dark malts and roasty flavors. This one is spot on. The mouthfeel is full and velvety. I'd love a bottle of this anytime.

12-29-2010 20:55:06 | More by Bendurgin
titosupertramp

Tennessee

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

A: Black as they come w/ minimal mocha head. Splotchy lacing.

S: Pretty strong coffee, but I like it. I'm picking up oatmeal here as well which I don't normally detect. Maybe I should take Claritin-D more often. Lots of roasty goodness.

T: Coffee, chocolate, roasted malts. A good amount of sweetness mixed with the bitterness of the coffee. Not terribly complex, but damn tasty none the less.

M: I really love the mouthfeel of Wake N Bake. Velvety, smooth, rich.

D: Could see myself drinking a few of these in one, long evening. Alcohol is somewhat present, but not distracting.

Overall, I like this beer a lot. Is it as good as FBS? No, but it's a very good substitute for those outside Founders distribution area.

12-29-2010 00:53:58 | More by titosupertramp
GallowsThief

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle marked Seasonal 2010 into my Duvel.

A - Black as coffee. Poured with about a one inch, creamy brown head. A sheen of lacing left on the side of the glass.

S - Oats come first on the smell with a nice coffee behind it. Has a roastiness. A very faint sweet smell.

T - Heck yes! Great coffee and dark chocolate taste. Great roasted flavor. Leaves an excellent silky, smooth sweet taste at the end. Just a touch of the alcohol. Really fantastic.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Nice creamy feel left behind.

D - Absolutely drinkable! Had me licking my lips after every sip. Find it, buy it, love it.

12-29-2010 00:16:09 | More by GallowsThief
Aaron420

Poured into a snifter.

A: Poured what could only be called an amazing black as dark as nights out in the woods. With a very fine tan almost khaki head.

S: Smells of rich Jittery Joe's Coffee with hints of chocolate and a little roasty malts.

T: Pretty similar to the smell at the beginning rich with coffee and chocolate. The alcohol is not what one would think with such a high abv. It leaves a lasting flavor of coffee in the back of the throat.

M: Medium amount of carbonation but it is just the right amount. With a thick pheel on the tounge.

D: If you could sit down and enjoy more than two of these with out getting a heavy head then you are better than I.

I look forward to this beer every year, and now even more since I no longer live in GA. Thanks to "kp" used on of mine to make a Wake-N-Moo, which is well worth trying.

12-28-2010 01:59:24 | More by Aaron420
infi

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

12 oz. bottle, courtesy of BA r0nyn.

Poured into a Corsendonk tulip.

A completely opaque pour with dark brown edges and thin mocha head with smothering smells of medium-roast coffee bean and VERY minimal chocolate sweetness- that's it. No malt presence whatsoever. Basically a cup of pure black coffee in a beer bottle. But that's due to the fact of its recent bottling and substantial freshness. It should get better with age with the coffee being much more tempered.

Taste is exactly how it smells. Straight up coffee with a thorough roasted profile and a squeeze or two of chocolate syrup. Thin astringency and bitterness on the back end to finish it off. Don't get me wrong: I absolutely love coffee, but the face value of "beer" is completely absent, aside from the alcohol content. Overall, it was lacking on the substantiation of flavor, but again I'll give the beer the benefit of the doubt.

Mouthfeel was particularly thin and light-bodied with a full tactile bubbly feel on the palate. No alcoholic burns though, which was nice. Drinkability is nice and probably more suitable in a dessert/breakfast context.

12-27-2010 19:55:34 | More by infi
NYManc

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Courtesy of BA r0nyn, poured into my Corsendonk Tulip.

A: Poured pitch black with a small mocha head that retreated very fast. Lacing was very spotty and not that abundant. Looked like every other good stout out there.

S: This smell is quite an experience. Smells of extremely strong coffee that lingers LONG after the beer is gone as well! Fair share of oatmeal in there as well. This may be overbearing to others, but to me it was such a stimulating smell that catered to me.

T: Almost the same as the nose. Very strong taste of coffee. Almost hides all the other tastes of the beer. Small hint of oatmeal and malt mixed in. Very delicious, Love it a lot. No taste of alcohol as well.

M&D: Medium to Heavy bodied beer, medium carbonation and a beer that goes down very well (and easily).

Overall: Love this beer, came to me as a surprise and would def. recommend this beer to everyone.

12-27-2010 02:28:09 | More by NYManc
orangesol

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Served on cask at Al's of Hampden into a nonic pint during the Mad Murren event.

A - Pours jet black with a small film of khaki colored head leaving light, tan, lacing down the glass.

S - Huge, rich, coffee punch is ever present. Tons of dark roasted aromas from the coffee and chocolate malts. The oatmeal and some sweet lactic flavor help balance this one a bit but it is still all coffee, all day.

T - Lots of rich roast up front from the coffee that remains throughout the experience. Middle has some lactic sweetness thanks to the oatmeal which helps keep things balanced as much as possible. Finish is quite strong with plenty of roast from all the dark flavors hiding inside this one. I had this once before on-tap and it was ok, this is a whole new ball game. Such a great stout for the cask serving format. One of the best I have had in a while.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Fairly heavy feel with lots of roast in the finish. Awesome beer to have on cask.

D - Pretty high. A bit one dimensional but still a very enjoyable coffee stout for a cold day. I might need to get another one...

12-26-2010 22:30:37 | More by orangesol
mrmiles

3.25/5  rDev -24.4%

Merry Christmas BA!

This bottle courtesy of scottyshades. Thanks Scott.

A: A pitch black pour into my St. Bernardus Goblet. Almost no head. Bubbles that are present are extremely small.

S: Pretty much as advertised. Aroma is almost all roast coffee, oatmeal and hints of cocoa and malt.

T: Taste is as it smells roast coffee, oatmeal, cocoa and malt. Alcohol much more present here but not overpowering. Some mild bitterness, but it seems to be more from the coffee than anything else.

M: Heavy on the tongue. Carbonation is quite pronounced at the end of the sip.

D: Given the alcohol and the caffeine combination I don't think I'd drink more than one. But it is very tasty and pretty smooth.

12-26-2010 07:47:33 | More by mrmiles
r0nyn

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my DFH snifter. Split with fellow BA infi. 2010 vintage.

Pours a deep, dark oily black into the glass, with a frothy half inch head that dissipates slowly. Lacing is loose and covers the inside of the glass in sheets. Coffee, coffee and more coffee is all that's in the smell. I feel like I'm in a tiny little city bistro, inhaling directly from the coffee pot. Deep roasted coffee beans, almost as if they're freshly ground. I thought I'd smelled coffee in my beer before, but this takes the cake. I'm fully expecting an iced coffee flavor, just based on the nose alone.

And my predictions are validated as there is a ton of that Jittery Joe's coffee in the initial sip and pretty much the entire tasting experience. Hints of dark chocolate and mocha provide some complexity to the profile, but for the most part, it's roasted coffee through and through. Malts are only slightly detectable at the end and you really have to be looking for them. Bitterness is provided by the coffee and nothing else. Alcohol isn't all that detectable, even as the brew warms. Mouthfeel is smooth and silky, with a drying finish. Has a bit of chewiness to it that was quite welcome.

Drinkability is really good. If you like coffee, then this is definitely a drink for you. I can imagine myself waking up and just having a cup of this with my morning paper and croissant. I imagine it can only get a bit more complex with some age on it, so I'll definitely be picking up another bottle of this and putting a few months on it!

12-26-2010 00:00:29 | More by r0nyn
jsdunlop

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Pitch black pour with a nice tan frothy and full head of foam. Aromas of lactose, chocolate, coffee and alcohol. Complex tastes in the brew, consisting of sweet chocolate and roasted malts, roasted coffee, nutty, grainy, and earthy notes, dark overripe fruits, and a noticeable presence of alcohol. Mouthfeel is right on target with this brew, thick, creamy and full, moderate carbonation, chewy granola feel with a lasting coffee impression on the tastebuds after each sip. An excellent, well balanced brew that exceeded my expectations.

12-25-2010 05:04:18 | More by jsdunlop
JMforman

Tennessee

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

A wonderful Christmas Eve treat. This is the 2010 version.

A- Black as night with a weak-sauce tan head. I wish that the head stayed around longer. It was pretty. Decent lacing though

S- Coffee and dark chocolate

T- Cold black coffee, dark chocolate, some dark fruit, alcohol.

M- A strange combination of creamy and peppery. Hmm.

D- Quite.

12-25-2010 04:13:17 | More by JMforman
BuxMontBeerLover

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Purchased a 4/pk at Wegman's in Warrington, PA.
Purchase Price: $9.99/4pk
Enjoying on Christmas Eve from a Dogfish Head Signature Glass

A - Very dark, almost totally opaque blackish/dark brown color. Little to no head upon pouring. Leaves a frothy, beige colored ring around the edge of the glass. A small bit of lacing on the glass during the tasting.

S - Wow..overwhelming smell of coffee. Really overwhelmes any other smell but a faint sweetness is also coming through. My fiance commented that she could smell the coffee from 5-10 feet away. Potant!

T - Fantastic taste! Great combination of flavors predominately dominated by burnt coffee, chocolate and a well balanced hoppy sweetness. I'm really enjoying this as it warms up a bit. A coffee biterness lingers after each taste. The 8+ ABV is not noticable at all.

M - Nice amount of carbonation. A thicker mouthfeel but being a stout this is to be expected.

D - A top-notch stout. I realy enjoyed this beer but again a one or two type beer. No where near a sessionable beer but a beer to sit and enjoy and savor.

Overall - Highly recommended! Having never heard of this beer I was pleasantly rewarded with a stout that I will seek out in the future.

Cheers!