2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial StoutTerrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005)
View: Beers (39) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,760 | Reviews: 1,166 | Show All Ratings:
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

4.21/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz Bottle from Total Wine Tampa FL for $3.00 - 2012 edition

Appearance - Dark brown colour with a large size frothy beige head. I can't make out the amount of carbonation showing and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for around 5-6 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, chocolate, vanilla, coffee, roasted notes

Taste & Mouth - There is a below average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, chocolate, and vanilla. There is also lots of coffee and some roasted/burnt notes.

Overall - Fantastic and rich, and excellent beer that I would seek out again - especially if I'm in the mood for lots of coffee flavour.

01-20-2014 01:30:06 | More by spinrsx
Ieatlambfries

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured an opaque black. Thick head of dense dark brown bubbles. Very slight lacing left on my glass after each sip.

Amazingly rich smell of brewed coffee and cacao. Hint of alcohol as well.

Dark coffee, bitter baking coco, and sweet lactose, followed by a slight hop twang. Ever so slight alcohol finish.

Creamy mouthfeel, with a slight oily residue left on the tongue.

Overall and excellent American Double Stout. One of the best uses of coffee in a stout I've personally tasted.

01-19-2014 19:31:16 | More by Ieatlambfries
larryi86

Delaware

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle, 2013, poured into a snifter

A- Black with a two finger mocha head.

S- Roasted coffee, chocolate, some oatmeal.

T- Very nice and big, plenty of roasted coffee, bittersweet chocolate, getting a touch of warmth from the alcohol.

M- Smooth, creamy, full body.

O- A great coffee stout, worth the money. I see myself buying more of this when I can.

01-19-2014 16:06:27 | More by larryi86
scratch69

Missouri

4.61/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Oily black color with two fingers worth of tan head. Great head retention with a large amount of lacing.

Smell- Fresh coffee aroma with a bit of roasted malt and chocolate as well.

Taste- Strong coffee flavor at the start with some vanilla and chocolate sweetness at the finish.

Mouthfeel- Full bodied and silky smooth. Sticky feel after the swallow.

Overall- Wow, this is the best coffee stout that I've tried. I love Founder's breakfast stout but I would replace it with this if I could get it in Missouri.

01-17-2014 21:20:46 | More by scratch69
BierJager89

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

A: Pours an oily black with a mocha head.

S: Lots of coffee, bittersweet chocolate in the nose.

T: Sweet oatmeal, roasted malt, coffee, bittersweet chocolate.

M: Full bodied and creamy smooth.

O: An excellent breakfast stout. I'd love to try a bourbon barrel aged version of this.

01-17-2014 18:34:58 | More by BierJager89
JerzDevl2000

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Got the last one of these at the Bottle King in Livingston this week, ensuring that this would be on less 4-pack that they would have to move to their new store on the circle. I saw that this had a really high rating on here with a lot of reviews, so I was eager to try this for myself. This nearly lived up to the hype and was one of the easiest Double/Imperial Stouts, when it came to quaffing it down. If coffee could be perfected and fermented, it would taste just like this and for anyone who enjoys a Coffee Stout, this would have to be on a "must-try" list!

The pour to this was solid, as it nearly had a "motor oil" viscosity to it with a light tan head that quickly settled down. Not as much lacing as I would have liked but the carbonation was spot-on without overpowering the flavors here. Lots of coffee and some vanilla in the aroma, with notes of espresso, milk chocolate, and powdered cocoa in the taste. A hint of cookie dough-sweetness and a strong roasted undertone to this beer was what really made this beer stand out, along with a low hop profile and a well-recessed alcoholic presence. This almost felt like a session beer but it certainly wasn't, since I could feel the buzz kick in once I quickly worked my way through the liquid in my pint glass.

To be fair, this was strong. It never tasted it and there's where this beer surprised me. It's almost unfair that something should be this enjoyable and still be so deceptively strong, but that was the case here without a doubt. Although the consistency almost reminded me of an artisan soda, this went beyond that because of the subtle range of flavors and the addictiveness of the coffee notes. Anyone who loves coffee, chocolate, cookies, Stouts, or dessert beers should seek this out - the broad appeal of this beer spoke volumes about how outstanding this truly was.

01-17-2014 05:43:15 | More by JerzDevl2000
JohnG190

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours pitch black with a thin, mocha head that dissipates quickly. Good lacing. Aroma is all about one thing, coffee. Flavor profile is also one-dimensional - coffee, very dark roast coffee. Coffee is at the front of the tongue, mid-palate, and finish, it's all about coffee! Medium bodied with light carbonation. Overall, this is a coffee bomb! I don't mean that in any negative way, this is an amazing coffee stout, one of the best examples of the style I've ever had.

01-16-2014 02:17:02 | More by JohnG190
Kramerbarthomer

Colorado

4.66/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Again, Thanks to Eric15 for this hookup in a trade.

A - Pitch black with a very thin head

S - Mild coffee notes, very nice

T - Outstanding. The coffee really stands out here, but its not overwhelming.

M - Not too much carbonation here, but it sits very well in the mouth

Overall, this beer is excellent. It really reminds me of Founders BS, and dare I say it, it may actually be a little better. But they are very similar all around. Loved it.

01-14-2014 04:38:24 | More by Kramerbarthomer
jucifer1818

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Appearance: this heavy looking liquid pours in with a surprisingly small amount of head, but even its head comes off with a strong darkness. It looks amazing. 5\5

Aroma: Sweet black coffee, dark bakers chocolate, coco dust, and a distinct sweetness from the oatmeal is present. Its an amazing combination. 5\5

Taste: wow, the coffee in this one has absolutely no restraint! It just socks you with a huge coffee flavor, with a heavy mocha leaning. The beer also has a very sweet side, as its oatmeal helps add the illusion of a creamer to the coffee, making it taste that much better. A little hop bitterness on the end, but really, it just feels like the bitterness from coffee. Really, its a perfect tasting coffee brew. 5\5

mouthfeel: slick and heavy, but really, for this beers size its very well managed. What I hated about most other beers like this one is how heavy the sugars feel on the mouth, but this one pulls it off without a hitch. 4.75\5

Overall: Wow, this one was a good decission. Its not exactly a coffee beer you can have more than one of (highlands thunderstruck coffee porter takes that award), but as a heavy coffee desert beer...look no further. This would go VERY well with ice cream, cheese cake, or even just a plate of cookies! A beer I will gladly buy again when I drink the last one. 4.75\5

01-14-2014 03:55:48 | More by jucifer1818
NiceTaps

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle that reads 2013 release at 9.4% abv, in a stemmed tulip glass.

A- Dark and dense, as black as brown can get. The minimal head is mocha brown in color, leaves nice lacing.

S- Do you remember the old hit from Squeeze, 'Black Coffee in Beer" (sic)? Well, this is what they were singing about. Fresh strong coffee aroma dominates. There's a little bitter chocolate and roasted malt for fun.

T- Dark roast coffee, dark roast malts, dark chocolate. The coffee is the headliner, and it shines.

M- The oatmeal provides some definition, making the light and carbonated body somewhat chewy. Mainly dry and bitter with a hint of milky sweets on the finish.

O- There's a lot going for this beer. I like the 12oz bottle, the drinkability, the coffee , the lack of booze burn, to mention a few.

01-12-2014 18:54:06 | More by NiceTaps
maxcoinage

4.46/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Seasonal 2013 bottle poured into snifter as I'm brewing up a Dragons Milk clone on a Saturday morning. Thanks to @velcrogrip for this awesome extra that was on my wants lits.

appearance - pitch black , 1 finger mocha colored head settled nicely

aroma - bold coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malt

taste - chocolate hits you at first then roasted coffee, some hop bitterness balances out the little sweetness present.

mouthfeel - thick and chewy, medium carb, creamy & smooth

overall - a great morning brewday beer. I'd love to do a side by side with this and FBS - I think it'd be a close call! Definitely might have to seek more of this out in a trade.

01-11-2014 15:46:48 | More by maxcoinage
gueuzedreg

Colorado

4.24/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- Roasty chocolate/black. Thin lacing around the glass with minimal head.

S- Coffee>oatmeal>dates and dark fruits. Charred toffee molasses.

T- This is pretty coffee forward. Some oatmeal stout comes out, oak smell.

M- Medium to medium thin body with some carbonation that follows down the throat.

O- This is a well done non BA coffee stout. I am happy to enjoy this brew!

01-11-2014 00:21:51 | More by gueuzedreg
reebtaerG

Maryland

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A 10oz pour into a short wide mouth glass at Lures

A-Black as night with a creamy brown one finger head

S-aromas full of roasted coffee, malts, vanilla and hint of wood

T-very similiar to the aromas

M-rich, full bodied, and has a mouthfeel that is velvety smooth no acidity.

O-this is great coffee oatmeal stout. Im not a coffee drinker. Need to get more of this beer.

01-10-2014 15:13:51 | More by reebtaerG
deadonhisfeet

Kentucky

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a DFH snifter. The pour is nearly black, not too viscous, and sports a fingernail worth of tan head that quickly dies down to a thin lace. The nose on this beer is delightful. The coffee notes are incredibly rich with a slight hint of chocolate. It smells like a really, really good cup of coffee.

The beer has a medium-full body and a firm feel and a semisweet, well-balanced flavor. There are some rich malty notes up front along with a little chocolate. At mid-palate, just enough coffee comes in to provide some bitterness and earthy flavor without disrupting the balance. I'm not sure if I taste the oatmeal, but the feel has that characteristic velvety smoothness indicative of oats. The finish has a mild coffee bitterness balanced by some milk chocolate. A nice after-dinner beer. Not too heavy or filling.

I bought this beer while on vacation (Terrapin isn't sold where I live yet) and really enjoyed it. Of course I am inclined to compare this to Founders Breakfast Stout (which I have had many times) and in my opinion it stands up very well. The most glaring difference between this and FBS is that there's not a lot of intense coffee on the palate with this beer. Given the nose, I half-expected this to be a coffee bomb on the palate (like FBS), but it's not. Instead, it is very well-balanced and the coffee doesn't wash out all the other flavors. Excellent beer.

01-10-2014 01:41:02 | More by deadonhisfeet
LambicPentameter

Kansas

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

Thanks to BA ThickNStout for sending this my way as part of a recent trade. Enjoyed out of a 12 oz brown bottle with no freshness or bottling date that I can see, however the label clearly marks this as part of the 2013 release, so it is less than a month old at the very most. Poured into a large snifter glass.

Appearance - Body is a inky jet black with hints of dark, tree bark brown. No light is passing through, even when I hold it up directly in front of a light source. Atop sits about a finger of actively fizzling head that is a mocha-tan color. It dissipates fairly quickly, coming to rest with a healthy film of bubbles across the top, with consolidation occurring around the edges of the glass, making it a little bit thicker there. Not really any lacing to speak of.

Smell - Coffee is the primary aroma coming through, but it is supported by notes of dark and milk chocolate, almost like what you would expect from a milk stout. There is also a healthy presence of roasted malt to provide some charred kick to the otherwise sweet-smelling brew. The espresso element of the aroma is quite pleasant, but not as overpowering as I tend to prefer in my coffee-infused stouts.

Taste - Here there is a bigger presence from the chocolate sweetness, with notes of cacao, milk chocolate and truffles. The coffee is still very much present, and blends well with the chocolate notes to give the impression of a mocha latte, but less sweet. Supporting the interplay of coffee bitterness and chocolate sweetness is a soft bread-like foundation from the oatmeal.

Mouthfeel - The oatmeal helps to provide a slightly chewy, heavy-to-medium body, with carbonation that is on the light side of moderate. Finish is semisweet.

Overall, a very tasty imperial coffee stout with a pretty big chocolate presence. It's a tiny bit inverted from the way another popular coffee imperial oatmeal stout comes across, but variety is the spice of life, right? If this was more readily available to me, I'd likely get some every season to change things up. At the very least, this has made me curious to try the "cinnamon roll'd" variant.

01-08-2014 17:43:32 | More by LambicPentameter
richj1970

Alabama

4.34/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12 oz bottle into snifter.

A: Jet black with one finger tan head. Some nice lacing.

S: Coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts.

T: All coffee all the time. A bit of bitter chocolate and roasted malts, but the coffee notes are dominant here.

M: Full bodied with plenty of carbonation.

O: Easily one of the better coffee forward stouts that I have enjoyed. On par with Founders Breakfast Stout and Stone Espresso IRS.

01-06-2014 01:44:40 | More by richj1970
Tucquan

4.23/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Had this on 2012-01-04 in Lancaster, PA at The Fridge and from the bottle on 2014-01-05 in Columbia, PA.

A - Opaque dark brown with a 1-finger brown head into a big snifter. Great lacing.

S - Fragrant. Strong, rich dark roast coffee and to a lesser extent; sweet milk chocolate.

T - Dark roasted coffee, milk and dark chocolate, roasted grain; like a lot of espresso poured into a gourmet hot chocolate. Roasted/light char bitterness with some hop bitterness. Fairly sweet initially, which mostly dries out into the long-lasting, coffee/chocolate-infused aftertaste. The alcohol is well-disguised. A very tasty brew indeed.

M - Full body and light carbonation. Thick and creamy thanks to the oatmeal. Just right.

O - A well-done and very tasty oatmeal stout. Comparing the fresh 2012 Terrapin to a fresh 2012 Breakfast Stout; I liked the 2012 Breakfast Stout more. Comparing a fresh 2013 Terrapin to a 2013 Breakfast Stout, I like the Terrapin more; primarily because the coffee is less forward in the Terrapin than in this year's Breakfast Stout. Having the 2013 Terrapin caused me to upgrade my flavor rating from 4.0 to 4.25, putting it on par with the 2013 Breakfast Stout. Well done, Terrapin.

01-05-2014 19:39:06 | More by Tucquan
sleepyteacher

4.76/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I nearly shit my pants when this beer come up at a bottle share, and the guy poured five bottles each from one of the past 5 years. So a 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, and 2009. I have just entered the world of aging beer and this was exactly what I needed to excuse me from cleaning off another shelf in the basement. I was excited because Wake N Bake was one of my favorite beers this Winter, however, I believe heartily that mixing Wake N Bake and a Chocolate Moo Hoo together should be a national treasure. Will aging it possibly change my preferred method of consumption? We'll see.

Smelling 2013 and then 2009 and I would be ignorant if I didn't say there is a world of difference. The coffee in the 2013 is dominant if not brooding and the 2009 smells sweater, but also slightly plain. When I tasted the 2013, I definitely got that early morning kick you might need some days. The flavor was sharp with coffee and quite delicious, but I tasted an underlying bitterness.

In 2012, I noticed a drop off in the coffee and it was not as bitter, I preferred this to the 2013, because the coffee was giving way to the sweeter notes of oatmeal.

By 2011, most of the coffee had simmered, the bitterness was gone, and a sweeter flavor had developed. Hands down, this was Wake N Bake in its prime.

By 2010 and 2009, the beer had lost its breakfast flavors and was starting to taste more like a traditional porter, but very easy on the senses. In fact, this vintage would be a great way to introduce someone to a porter or imperial russian if they haven't developed their pallet yet.

Though I will never forget this tasting, I still think that I can get a Waken N Bake where I want it by cheating the system just a little bit and adding some chocolate moo hoo. I've heard that it's called a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. Try it!

01-05-2014 00:50:36 | More by sleepyteacher
jdhowe

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2013 bottle.

A: Pours a clear, but nearly opaque black with ruby/plum-tinged light passing through the edges and 1/4 finger of mocha-colored head that quickly dissipates.

S: Super deep, rich, bitter, black coffee. Huge coffee nose with only a little detectable sweetness. I did not realize how much coffee to expect in this beer. Other beers have "coffee" in the name. This one puts them all to shame. Seriously. There comes big and hard with the coffee the whole way through the aroma, leaving way for very little else in terms of smell.

T/M: Smooth and cool bitterness of coffee with moderate carbonation and a slight fruity sweetness mid-sip. The coffee up front is really great. The finish, as expected, is bursting with more coffee. Coffee bitterness lingers long past the end of the sip. The mouthfeel is medium, so maybe just a little thin, with just about right carbonation, despite how still the beer looked. I can't detect the oatmeal of this past the coffee... maybe that's why it's a "coffee oatmeal imperial stout" and not an "oatmeal coffee imperial stout."

O: This is really the biggest "coffee" beer I've ever had in terms of how prominently it features the coffee. It's not what I expected it to be, but it's really quite nice. I don't know how often I will go back to this one, and I'm really not sure what I expect from it with age, but it's really a very nice beer. If you're looking for a coffee beer, I've not found a better one.

01-04-2014 06:47:24 | More by jdhowe
brewtus

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours black with. Dark beige head, single finger thickness. Smell is espresso, dark cocoa, and oatmeal. Taste is huge, starts with a great coffee and oatmeal flavor that finishes with very dark chocolate flavors. Some caramel and not a lot if sweetness. Texture is plenty thick but drinks very smooth. This beer is not very complex, it's smells and Tastes just like the label tells you it will. The difference is that this beer has amazing balance between the oatmeal, coffee, chocolate, and it tastes unreal. Glad I got a chance to pick this up during an out of state trip, easily one of the best coffee oatmel stouts I've ever had

01-01-2014 22:28:47 | More by brewtus
Omonigan

Georgia

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured 12oz bottle into snifter

A- Burned motor oil black, with a half finger thick mocha brown head, very little lacing that dissipates quickly.

S- Very dark roast coffee, hints of oatmeal. Reminds me of the instant coffee my grandmother used to drink when I was a kid.

T- Strong coffee, hints of dark chocolate and oatmeal, finishes with a very faint sweet milk chocolate.

M- Medium bodied, lighter than I was expecting. Very smooth and creamy, slightly oily.

O- Excellent beer! Very well balanced, and the alcohol is hidden very well. I expected much more booziness out of this 9.4 percent beer. My new favorite non barrel aged Imperial stout. Better than Founder's Breakfast Stout IMO.

01-01-2014 21:27:44 | More by Omonigan
RacerX5k

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely the best pure coffee beer Ive ever had. I could do this review in one word, coffee.
Huge coffee aroma, taste is coffee, hints of vanilla and chocolate. Beautifully malted to handle all that coffee. Drinks so easy, and I cant wait to try this on draft tonite. Did I mention coffee?

12-31-2013 13:00:13 | More by RacerX5k
Tgmckinn

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

So recipe change this year? Maybe I'm crazy but this beer has never been 9.4% and not as harsh. Smells like lots of roasted malt and coffee. Based on taste, it needs to set. Currently too bitter and harsh from the coffee, roasted malt, and hops. Still very enjoyable. Nice mouthfeel. Overall, reminds me a lot of fresh Expedition stout with an addition of the coffee presence. It's a great stout, but not enthusiastic about the changes made to the beer nor the increased price this year. Honestly, the best way to drink this is a "Wake n Moo." That said, I encourage someone to try Cinna Wake n WC Moo and let me know how bad that turns out...

12-26-2013 08:09:38 | More by Tgmckinn
swtchuck

2.88/5  rDev -33%

A - Dark black with a toffee colored head which is almost non existent despite the rather aggressive pour. S - Less than expected since the head dissipates far too rapidly despite the chocolate addition, strong burnt espresso dominates, presence of alcohol, chocolate character lacking. T - Dark chocolate, dark roast coffee, some evidence of deep caramel malt, slightly harsh coffee/alcohol taste lingers. M - Decent mouthfeel although thinner than expected with the oatmeal name tag. O - Seems over rated compared to the competition. Early coffee addition (harsh) and alcohol takeover.

12-25-2013 01:45:35 | More by swtchuck
Ri0

Wisconsin

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured 12oz bottle into chalice.

A - pours dark coffee black with a thin 1 finger mocha head. Disappears and does not leave behind lacing.

S - Notes of dark roast coffee and bitter dark chocolate. Sweet hints of milk chocolate, caramel, marshmallows, and cocoa. Roasted malts also mixed in.

T - Roasted coffee, bold bitter chocolate with marshmallows. Subdued notes of rich caramel and milk chocolate. Roasted maltiness on the finish. No noticeable alcohol flavor.

M - Rich, creamy and full bodied, just like an oatmeal stout should be.

O - This is an excellent coffee stout. It's right up there with FBS and I recommend trying it if you are ever in the Carolinas.

12-22-2013 16:08:49 | More by Ri0