Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours black with a dark mocha head about one finger in size. Looks creamy and sticks pretty well.

Smells fantastic. Sweet creamy coffee and dark chocolate. Nice roasty smell to it.

Flavor of this one is exactly where I expected it to be. Follows the nose perfectly, with some roasty coffee and chocolate, with a good sweetness to it. Some bitterness in the finish. Alcohol is barely noticable.

Mouthfeel is full and creamy, exactly where it should be.

Drinkability is great. This is an excellent beer. As delicious as it sounds, I'm glad I picked it up.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

appearance - no head, seemingly no carbonation, black and opaque

smell - wow, chocolate milkshake, coffee on warming, delicious

taste - not as powerful, delicious, refreshing for a dark beer

mouthfeel - light body for such a beer, not as bad carbonation as one might think from appearance

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

vintage 2010.

poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Dark black body. Medium brown head with tons of tiny bubbles. This beer pour decent almost 3 fingers head with aggressive pour that dissapates into a ring around outside of glass. Decent lacing too.

Smell: Fresh coffee and mildly sweet malt. Hints of raisins.

Taste: Robust and roasty coffee flavor adding a note of faint smoke. Nice mild sweetness from the malts to balance the bold coffee profile. Coffee lasts throught the entire taste with a dry and acidic bite that is quite pleasant. Also a small hint of booze that is not at all distracting and adds nicely to the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and moderate carbonation. The oats make this beer very silky smooth without an oat taste. At 8% this beer is really drinkable and goes down easy besides that fact its a full bodied beer!

Overall: Very nice coffee stout. I have really enjoyed this beer and I am glad I stocked up on a recent trip to Florida. Will be enjoying this beer for a while! It reminds me of Peche Mortal and Founders stouts. Quality beer hands down!

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Wake 'N' Bake
Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Terrapin Beer Co.
8.6% ABV
50 IBUs
OG 20.8

12 oz bottle from 2010, courtesy BulbMan, poured into a Surly pint glass. Thanks Jon! This bottle lists ABV at 8.1%, slightly different from the website.

Appearance: Dark, very very dark and inky-viscous-velvety brown with a tiny brown soda pop head that recedes before it forms; no lacing, obviously. 3.5/5

Aroma: Mmm, coffee! Good coffee! This is some serious gourmet shit! Goddamn! Pleasing and soothing aroma of freshly roasted coffee riding atop a sweet smelling base. Very good :-) 4/5

Taste: Akin to smell, this is beer in coffee, not the other way round. Slightly sweet, at its gravity, but the acidity of coffee quickly takes over, and leaves the mouth bitter with plenty of coffee flavor. Also, for its magnitude, it finishes very dry. Very very dry. I am able to taste some alcohol here and there too, but frankly, I am not bothered. Not one bit. 4/5

Mouthfeel: Quite different from the way I expected based on its looks, the mouthfeel is sharp, acrid, and, if I may say so, thin. Of course, the flaws are only slight. 4/5

Overall: There was a thread equating it to Founders Breakfast Stout. To make a fair comparison, I need to have these side by side at similar levels of freshness, *but I think* that this is every bit an equal in terms of taste and aroma... you know, the stuff that matters most. That said, Breakfast would win on the mouthfeel and looks. 4.5/5

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Note: Label reads, "W-N-B Coffee Oatmeal Imerial Stout".

Vintage: Seasonal 2010

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black in color. No light whatsoever is coming through, less than 1 finger worth of mocha colored head which dissipates to a small layer of foam. Decent lacing, which I wasn't excepting, alcohol legs are noticeable as well.

S: Nose is amazing! Espresso coffee beans, big bittersweet chocolate notes, some black licorice as well. Harmony is the key here, no one takes lead, but every note hits evenly.

T: Same as the nose. The bitterness from the coffee, the chocolate, but at the back of the tongue it almost gets a bit sweet from the oats and finishes clean.

M: Full bodied, viscous. Silky mouthfeel, but doesn't coat my mouth as I thought it would. ABV is 8% is not noticeable at all and does a good job cleansing the palate.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Opaque brown with a very thin chocolate milk head that was there and gone.

The smell is where this one shines. I thought it was very similar to chocolate chip cookie dough with a little coffee thrown in. Delicious.

Coffee really comes through on the palate. Malty with a note of alcohol and some bitterness towards the end. Long finish.

Mouthfeel seems on the lighter side for this style.

Overall, a very solid brew. I'd seek it out again.

4.43/5  rDev +3%

The label says Terrapin W-n-B Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout (brewed with Jittery Joe's coffee). BeerAdvocate assures me that a beer with this name maps to "Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout"

No date that I can see other than "Seasonal 2010"

A - dark black with a brown head that falls quickly leaving no trace of lace

S - powerful coffee aroma like a heavily roasted strong black brew riding on a warm wave of alcohol - makes me think this is what Kahlua should smell like (but doesn't)

T - coffee flavor is strong and initially sweet with a solid dark roasted character that blends with a warming alcohol before fading to a roasted and slightly bitter finish.

M - full bodied, creamy and warm

O - This is a fabulous beer - complex, creamy, warm and powerfully full of coffee. I think it will be a new favorite for me!

Thanks so much to Lillie1128 for hooking me up!

2.58/5  rDev -40%

Drinking 09' vintage.

Vigorous pour from 12oz bottle into my HOTD snifter produced a one finger mocha colored head which quickly dissipated and left no lacing.
This is a beautiful beer and i'm looking forward to it smell and taste to follow suit.

S: Dominated by coffee with some hints of chocolate.

T: The first couple drinks were pleasant enough as the full coffee flavor was not present. As this puppy warmed up, the coffee flavor dominated and I didn't pick up any alcohol at all. Eventually all I could taste was a smoke infused coffee concoction.

M: Modest mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation, but the smoke flavor was over-powering.

D: Not too drinkeable for me. The smoky flavor was too much. I realize this is a coffee stout, but the flavor is just not balanced at all.
I've enjoyed many other coffee stouts, but this one just didn't do it for me.

D: Not too drinkeable to me.

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This has got be the best thing I've had from Terrapin to date. This beauty of a beer pours out nice and thick looking with a very dark black color and brown head. The lacing on the glass is pretty good and the beers thickness sticks to the glass leaving a nice brown tinge behind. The smell of the beer is deeply roasted coffee and chocolate, along with some burnt oats. The taste has some really nice coffee flavors and rich dark chocolate throughout. The mouthfeel of the beer is thick and oily, it's got a light carbonation to it also. Overall this is my favorite release from Terrapin, I enjoyed this beer a lot. It's a definite sipper so take your time with it and let it last a while.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have been eying this beer for a while now and I have to thank my friend Phelps for hooking me up with a bottle this past weekend.

I poured the 12oz bottle into a snifter glass to find a deep black body with a nice tan colored head that left very little lacing.

The aroma was simply fantastic, so simple yet so powerful, you get the chocolate and coffee hints first and then some roasted malts.

I thought that the flavor was exceptional. A bit toned down from the aroma but an absolute joy to sip and drink. The flavors are blended together so well and the alcohol is very well hidden.

The medium carbonation is perfectly balanced with texture of the beer and its very easy to drink and enjoy. I took my time drinking this one and I probably wouldn't drink more than one in a single sitting unless it was the dead of winter and I was snowed in for the night.

Overall a fantastic beer and I can't wait for the fall to have my uncle in Atlanta pick me up a 6 pack!

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Preface: Seasonal 2010

Appearance - Dark and sulky blackholesque coloration provides zero light penetration or escape once beyond the event horizon, gorgeous half inch chocolate brown head with generous head retention and full bodied lacing adheres to the side of my mug

Smell - Brilliant coffee notes, deep and rich cocoa aromas permeate throughout with subtle burnt wood chips wrapped in a delightful sweet smelling chocolate

Taste - Exceptional coffee and chocolate milk flavor on a medium body the strikes fiercely with creamy alcohol

Mouthfeel - Magnificent smoothness, uniform bite, and an impressive slick feel blend all these wonderful flavors in an exceptional manner that challenges the palate with complex interaction

Overall - Glorious beer that I have lofty regards for and would recommend to anyone

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

Bottle poured in a tulip glass. Beer poured a pitch black with barely half a finger of mocha color creamy head. Head dissipates almost immediately to a thin collar of head that is barely there along the edge of the glass. A few patches of lacing is left on the edge of the glass sticking nicely, but mostly just spots of foam.

Good amount of roasted malt and darkly roasted coffee, milk chocolate, but there is this strange metallic note that detracts from the beer. I've had a few Terrapin beers prior and they both had this off aroma of metal as well.

Roasted malt, chocolate and a dark roasted coffee as in the nose. Fairly robust roasted flavor, lingering into a creamy and slightly sweet and sticky finish.

Full bodied, sticky and viscous on the tongue. Alcohol warmth on the back of the throat after taking a sip, along with a slight metallic aftertaste.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Been waiting a while to try this one!

A: Poured into my DFH signature glass. Pours an extremely deep brown/black, kind of hard to tell. A one finger brown head forms on top and quickly dissipates to a thin layer of brown on top. Nice sticky lacing for style.

S: Deep chocolate aroma, not much coffee, but some roasted malt and a bit of vanilla. There is an oatmeal sweetness that comes in near the end.

T: Was surprised there wasn't much coffee on the aroma, but it is certainly present in the flavor profile. There is a nice mixture of rousted malt, some chocolate, and light oatmeal sweetness.

M: Medium to full bodied with a nice level of carbonation. Slightly dry and bitter finish.

O: Very enjoyable, like that it has a relatively low abv for an imperial stout. As someone who does not like coffee, this is a coffee stout that I can handle. Not over the top at all, and with a heavy hand of chocolate to offset it.

3.58/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Received as an extra from tclapper. Thanks!
2010 vintage

A- Pours black and oily, with little to no head at all. This looks quite dense and heavy. Nothing much to say about this, looks like black liquid.

S- Smells pretty much identical to a chocolate malted milkshake. Milky malty chocolate, vanilla, and maybe a bit of coffee. It could just be there because I expect it to be there though. Overall a great smelling stout.

T- Coffee is definitely in the taste, but not in the quantity I expected. Taste is mostly dark fruits, espresso, toffee, and something I can't place. Not bad at all, but somewhat average. I would say that's due to the aging, probably some of the coffee flavors and aromas fell out a bit.

M- Fairly heavy, but there's plenty of carbonation here to keep things lively. Not as oily as I might have liked considering the oatmeal.

O- I'd love to try this fresh, as I feel like some of the coffee characteristics have fallen out, leaving the rest of the beer a bit naked.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours thick viscous black fluid in to a pint glass with a beautiful mocha color head.

Smells - like a chocolate chip cookie batter. Semi sweet chocolate chips, vanilla, with a touch of coffee. Hmmm mmmm mmmm.

Taste - I wish the taste followed the nose a little more. More bitter than sweet chocolate but coffee shows up in the taste. A plus. Bitterness from the chocolate and coffee follows throughout from start to finish.

Overall - oatmeal stouts aren't my favorite but this one works. The smell is my favorite part of this brew.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Seasonal 2010.

A- Pours a thick jet black color with a tiny off-white head that leaves little lace.

S- This is a dead ringer for cold black coffee.

T- Much like the nose but more intensified. Roasted black coffee with some dark chocolate and maybe a touch of vanilla bean. A hoppy bitterness and some heat from the alcohol add to the finish.

M- Medium bodied and a touch thin for the style. The low carbonation goes better than expected with the huge coffee flavor.

O- This one is a coffee lovers dream.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Thanks for wcholif for this beer 2010 vintage
Look:Pitch black no head at all

Smell:lots of chocolate and coffee

Taste:Same as the smell lots of coffee and chocolate

Feel:Silky smooth low carbonation

Overall:Good oatmeal stout would like to try this beer fresh would drink agin if I had the chance

Taken from notes on 4.6.11

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a dark brown, oil like with a good thick dark brown head.

S - Smell like old coffee and oatmeal.

T - Older coffee.

D - Good Carbonation.

O - I did not enjoy this 09AA vintage, but I did like the 2010, that is what I will score.

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Friends in town, sharing beers, no real chance to truly enjoy a blind beer until tonight after work. Perfect couple days to blaze through the last stretch of beers. What an awesome collection so far. Can't wait for this #7 one into my Intelligentsia/FFF snifter.

Great head development resting upon the jet black nether regions. Deep milk chocolate froth dissipates to a respectable collar and batman signal silk screen in the center.

Mmmm huge burnt chocolate notes coming off this one. Russian Imperial Standard-tastic if I've ever smelt it. Opened up bitter dark chocolate with a transition quickly into burnt acrid grains. That cloyingly harsh smell with background noise of plums and other dried dark fruits. As you continue to inhale deeply the burnt grains lose their roasted nature. It no longer has that pleasant toasted grain aroma and begins to turn more into char and ash. In fact, this is as close to an ash tray aroma as I've had in a year. Very much so the ending hints are tinged ethanol, and cigarette stubs.

Right as I begin imbibing it I'm hit with the flavor of raisins and ethanol. Nice minor alcoholic bitterness complimenting the rising roasted and charred grain elements. After these two transitions, there is the undeniably characteristic flavor of ash. This burns itself out leaving this nice roasted character. Not roasted grain, coffee? No.. can't be. Not strong enough. I'll go standard roasted grain before the finish. Which is thankfully mostly dank fruits, a bit of bitter dark chocolate, and hot volatile ethanol. Simple, but definitely tasty. The more I drink it, the more I notice the ethanol never truly working itself in, weaving annoying rather than delightful.

Creamy, thicky, chewy. This has a full body that comes kickin' and never quits. A bit of heat, but never overwhelms. Keeps itself well mannered while its full luxurious curves smack around my mouth. Minor prickly nature about a quarter of the way through, some light carbonation. Almost syrupy. The alcohol is up there, but nothing offensive. High seven or low nines.

I like this standard RIS but its too thick and chewy to be just a plain RIS. Something crazy is going on with it that I wish I could pinpoint it. I'd say its creamy enough to be oatmeal based, but I don't think I can claim that with any certainty. I really wish it didn't have the ashtray characteristics, but they are so minor that they just detract from my personal preference leaving the beer still very good.

Reveal is... Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin... aww shit. Trust your instincts people! I missed all the major cues. Going back and drinking it, I'm finding more coffee flavors that I just discounted as extensions of other areas. I'm seeing how this thick, beautiful beer could be an imperial oatmeal stout. Talk about a tasty beverage! It was on my wants and definitely belonged there. Thank you so much!

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to SamuelJackson45 for sending me this one!

Terrapin Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout.

2010 vintage.

Pours a super pitch black color with a 2 inch super dark brown head that fades to a small puffy cap. Nice rings and latticework of lacing line the glass on the drink down. Smells very rich with roasted coffee beans, toasted oats and dark malts, and some bittersweet baking chocolate. Taste is also very rich with a complex blend of sweetened coffee, toasted oats, and chocolate syrup. There is also a slight vanilla flavor I am getting as well. There is a low but still bubbly level of carbonation that is perfect for this beer. Very smooth and creamy in the mouth. Overall, this is an awesome stout and something I could see myself stocking up massive quantities of if it was distributed in my area. I am super glad I have one more of these in my cellar.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Got in trade last week, drinking one as i type

A - A dark, super black, smoke like look. nice head, and head retention.

S - lots of nice coffee and, pretty strong Chocolate flavors prevalent also.

T - very quality Coffee hits you. Deep roasted malts, kind of sweet. awesome breakfast beer.

M - Low carbonation, very smooth,coats the mouth a little .

O - It's a great coffee stout, my favorite so far in the coffee stouts ive had, its a pretty strong brew, nice aftertaste. A beer that you enjoy early and slowly or a late night treat!

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

This beer was sent by Avagadro as an extra in a recent trade. Thanks Aaron! It pours a velvety black in color with a quickly dissipating beige head. The aromas are of full bodied roasted malts and rich sweet and bitter chocolate. It's highly appealing. The flavors are initially of sweet chocolate before becoming bitter and finished with a nice roasted coffee flavor. It drinks very, very smoothly and full in body. It coats the palate and leaves a nice chocolaty aftertaste behind. Overall this is an excellent brew and a very flavorful one at that. I highly recommend it.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

This has been one of my favorite coffee stouts for a while. Last night a buddy and I did a little vertical of '08, '09, and '10.

Appearance wise they all pour about the same, black with a tinge of brown head but not much to speak of.

Nose is where you start to see the differences. 2010 is up front big coffee and roast, 2009 the coffee is there but has a gentler affect leaving a slightly sweeter smell, and 2008 the roast and coffee are just a hint as most of the coffee has faded.

Taste follows what you smell. 2010 had a big rich body with plenty of coffee notes throughout and just a touch of alcohol, although it's hidden quite well. 2009 has rounded out with the body feeling a little creamier and the coffee still there just not smacking you in the taste buds. 2008 tasted pretty bland compared to the other two. I'd say its a solid stout still on its own, but compared to what it once was it's a shadow of itself.

Overall this beer holds up well over time. I'm well aware that coffee fades in these beer, so if you're expectations are to age it and still get a taste bud punch of coffee then you need to skip that and drink fresh. But if you know what you're getting into it's a pleasant surprise when you crack one after 1-1.5 years. The 2008 was definitely pushing it, so I'd keep that in mind if planning to age.

2010 Seasonal release, 12oz bottle poured into my Deschutes snifter. Big thanks to azdback for this one!!

Appearance - There's just something very inviting about a beer that pours dark as night, a few hues of dark brown around the edges with a head of medium brown. Head is about 1/4 of an inch and dissapates almost completely in the time it takes me to go upstairs and come back. Left with just a tiny ring around the edges. No lacing to speak of.

Smell - Before I can even lift this to my nose the smell hits me from about a foot away. This initial smell is like a porter. A closer smell reveals that nice coffee smell, bittersweet chocolate, and that deep, dark roasted/burt barley and chocolate malt. I'm not a coffee person, but I do enjoy the smell of coffee. It's inviting, most definitely.

Taste - Reminds me of a porter again, at very first. But just after that the coffee, bittersweet chocolate, and pleasant roast explode on the tounge. I'm getting a little bit of nutty flavor in there somewhere along with some smokey taste in/around the finish. Reminds me a bit of some nice smoked porters that I've had. This beer definitely isn't one-dimesional, but it's a good, fairly straight-forward brew given the description on the bottle. Also, BARELY notice the alcohol content at all, if just a tiny bit on the way down the pipe. Honestly not blown away by this one, but again, it's enjoyable for sure.

Mouthfeel - I would say medium viscosity. Very rich and smooth like some black coffee I've had in the past, but with some medium carbonation. Not quite as thick as I expected for an imperial stout, but that's not really a bad thing. I don't always like to chew my imperial stouts.

Overall - Overall I like this. I wouldn't really gush over it, but it's good. If I drank more coffee or ever really wanted to drink a coffee stout in the AM I could see myself drinking this when I could get my hands on it. On normal drinking nights, this would be enjoyable every week or two when I'm getting tired of IPAs. Would I want one every time I drink? No. Do I think this is a great nightcap? Absolutely! Overall, I feel like I'd give it a quick rating of a 3.75 out of 5, but 4s accoss the board warrants a 4.0 out of 5. Not my go to beer, but definitely a good offering, especially for those who really love their coffee.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

12 oz bottle to snifter.

A: Pours pitch black with about half a finger of milk chocolate colored head that dissipated quickly.

S: Coffee and chocolate aromas hit the nose right away, and dominate the smell of the beer. Some roasted malt as well.

T: A blast of coffee right up front that leads into the chocolate. There's a green, grassy hop flavor as well, and chocolate lingers on the palate once that subsides.

M: Pretty much what you want from a beer like this. Not overly thick or thin, viscous, and some nice creaminess.

O: A very solid imperial stout, and a great coffee stout. My first Terrapin beer, but it definitely lived up to its reputation.

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin Beer Company