1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial StoutTerrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours a dark brown color that is slightly milky looking with a big browinish color head about two to three fingers. This head gives way to nice ring lacing. The aroma is of coffee and dark choclate it is a nice big inviting smell. The tatse has a roasted malt characteristic along with notes of dark chocolate, however coffee and is the big tatse with a hint of oatmeal for balance. The beer is very bitter and could use a little more oatmeal to balance. The mouthfeel is creamy with low carbonation. Overall it is a somewhat easy drink the biteerness could deter you from more.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up this beer on random from my local favorite bottle shop Norms Beer and Wine.

Poured a extremely dark amber color, once in the glass a pure black with no light penetrating the glass. The head for med perfect, not much effort needed and with a chocolate colored head. The aroma was very oatmeal stout style flavor, with a sweet porter/oatmeal aroma emanating from the glass. The flavor was on pare with the aroma. The alcohol was extremely well hidden and honestly amazed me for a Oatmeal stout. I am very picky when it comes to this particular style and I have to say this brew blew me away. If you are in the porter and stout winter mood for sure give this a try and enjoy the complex imperial oatmeal flavor, that is perfectly balance for the style.

Enjoy!!

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter a deep dark almost black opaque color with little to no dark brown head. Smell is very much coffee malts with little if any hop character. Taste is very similar, very coffeelike with littly hoppiness. Feel has very light carbonation and is very smooth. Overall a great beer and one I will frequent when available.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Enjoyed on-tap at Fatheads on E Carson, Pgh. Poured into a 12oz. tulip glass, this one displays an ink black body with a deep, mocha head that ultimately fades to a thin, sinister ring of lace accompanied by some sticky wisps. An extremely formidable looking beer to be sure.

Bitter, dark chocolate and spent coffee grounds come to mind off-the-bat in the aroma. Anis, vanilla, and a bit of char. Heavy roast and a hint of molasses and dark fruit. Burnt caramel and earthy, peppery/floral hops.

A combination of bitter/dark and milk chocolates with a great deal of oily, French roast coffee beans. Floral, leafy hops, vanilla and molasses. Anis and burnt, chary goodness. Super roasty, black patent malts create lingering roast and hop bitterness alike. I even detect a spicy hop note floating around in the mix. Multi-level flavor compounds: sweet, roast, bitter. Burnt, campfire marshmallows and bruleed vanilla sugar. Super complex flavors throughout.

Slick and dense, even oily. The detectable booze and combinations of lingering bitterness components dry it up a bit in the finish. A sipper but still dangerously drinkable. A hugely flavorful and indulgent stout. A must try in my count.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Dark Brown Almost Black, As a proper Stout should be. One Finger Head that fades fast.

Smell: Alcohol mixed with Oaky Smelling Malts, Slight trace of Coffee and Oats mixed in there.

Taste: Nice Combination of Flavors similar to the smell, Alcohol taste is not as present as the smell, balanced taste of Oaky Malts, Oats and Coffee, Tastes better than it smells.

Mouthfeel: Good, hardly any lacing on the glass though and head is pretty much gone within minutes. Leaves a nice coffee aftertaste in your mouth.

Drinkability: Again good not great, I could only drink about 2 of these before I'd have to switch off to something else.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured into a snifter...

A - pours a very dark brown, almost black with just about a 1 finger head. Not much to the head at all and not really much lacing either but some decent oilyness.

S - fresh coffee beans, some chocolate, soy sauce, very mild malt.

T - rich coffee, a bit of booze, very mild earthy hops, milk chocolate, and vanilla cream. Pretty mocha-like. The flavors are blended together really well and the malt doesn't come through but neither do the hops. This is a very well done breakfast stout.

M - a bit thin, I think it could use a touch more oat to smooth it out. Good carbonation level for the style.

D - this is a well done job by Terrapin. I personally see Founders as a better stout, but I am pretty surprised to not see this beer in the top 100. Oh well, at least it's on mine!

4.47/5  rDev +4%

12oz bottle received from cmmcdonn via trade. Thanks Chad!

A: Typical stout black, less than a finger of tan head.

S: Roasted malts; lots of coffee; a roasted nutty flavor, much like hazelnut; a bit of chocolate (somewhat hidden behind the coffee).

T: Tons of coffee once again, but not so much as to hide the other flavors. A creamy, milk chocolate stands out too, alongside delicious roasted malts. A bit bittersweet with notes of vanilla; a very, very small bit of oatmeal tanginess.

M: Medium+ body; a bit lighter than most stouts this flavorful but that's not a problem at all, in fact kudos to the brewers for managing this. Moderate carbonation with a pleasant coffee aftertaste.

D: This went down remarkably fast for a stout; if it was distributed around me I'm sure it would be one of my go-to beers. Fantastic, and for not costing double digits per bottle it provides much more enjoyment per dollar than most imperial stouts.

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Notes from 01/02/2011:

12 oz. bottle at 45 degrees into a Stone IRS tulip.

A: It pours an opaque and absolutely black color with a finger and a half of very dark khaki head that does not lace particularly well.

S: The most intense roasty coffee notes I've found in a beer, some chocolate, background nuttiness, and some alcohol.

T: Coffee-heavy (obviously), vanilla, chocolate, licorice, moderate alcohol presence. It tastes like Dunkin' Donuts coffee and chocolate donuts together.

M: It has a very thick body that is quite oily with some stickiness.

D: In comparison to Founders Breakfast Stout, which it best compares to, it has better coffee intensity but lacks the gorgeous appearance and complexity of FBS.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Though Terrapin is readily available locally, I haven't seen this one. A good buddy brought this bottle back from a quick trip down to GA.

Poured from 12 oz bottle into large snifter producing a half finger of milk chocolate colored head that fades over a short amount of time. Aroma is huge coffee... this one smells like a strong cup of dark roast coffee only without the heat and steam! The enormous taste took me by surprise. Dark espresso with hints of dark chocolate and... you guessed it, oatmeal. I could seriously drink this with my breakfast... It's for coffee lovers indeed, but perfectly balanced so that the sweet malt backbone only enhances the combination of flavors. Carbonation is spot on, but lacing is surprisingly minimal. Mouthfeel is great and the drinkability.... well, lets just say that I normally take a good bit of time to drink one of these... letting it warm before the finish. I couldn't quit bringing the glass to my mouth. Well done Terrapin, I've finally found one that I like more than Founder's BS... and that's saying A LOT.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12oz glass into a snifter.

Great black color with a pretty clear complexion. A thick brown head slowly dissipates into a very nice sheen and leaves thick, rich lacing on the sides of the glass with every sip.

Now the smell is almost like a chocolate or hazelnut cappuccino or latte. Milky chocolate, medium bitter coffee, campfire roasted malts, and a touch of nuts and vanilla.

Taste is pretty amazing. I'm not a big imperial stout fan, but this one is absolutely delicious. Bold coffee flavors immediately dominate your taste buds, but not far behind are delicious roasted malts and milky sweet chocolate flavors. Excellent balance.

Feel wise it's full bodied, pretty well carbonated, with a lightly lingering coffee and roasted malt bitterness that's right on the money.

Within this particular style this is one of my favorites so far. It's a slow sipper, but the alcohol is very well hidden except for a bit of warming as it goes down.

The best part is that I'm having this on a snow day where I'm away from work. Perfect for the occasion.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Purchased at Brawley's poured into Dogfish Head glass.

A- black as can be with a finger tan head

S- Smells of a fresh brewed dark coffee. Nice chocolate smell as well but a strong coffee scent.

T- Again it tastes just like it smells. Good coffee backbone with a hint of chocolate

M- Medium bodied, almost perfect carbonation.

D- I would drink this all night long if I my refrigerator was packed with it. Not filling at all for the style.

This is my favorite beer from Terrapin. I can't believe I'm drinking a beer from Terrapin while watching my boys (Duke) playing the Maryland Terrapins. I think I am going to cellar a couple of these and see how they mature.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

2010 Vintage

I just heard about this beer for the first time recently and had someone tell me that it blows Founders Breakfast Stout away. So I picked up a 4 pack and gave it a try. Well while it does not blow Breakfast Stout away, I do agree that I like it better which is saying a lot. The pour is dark and perfect with a half finger of head that lingers. The aroma is a much more refined coffee bean than Breakfast Stout which is why I think I like this beer so much. The taste is of chocolate and a hint of coffee that doesnt overpower you. This beer is way too easy to drink, but at 8% you can easily drink more than one in a session. This is my new favorite Oatmeal Stout.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Excellent for breakfast? I'll never know, I had this at midnight.
a: black as night, good lacing, head is dark tan.
s: malty stout goodness
t: chocolate coffee
m: medium bodied even at 8%abv
d: 100% pure adrenaline

I like this stout alot, 8.5 for me. Label is cool.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanx to Bstaffor for this in my Secret Santa box

A:Pours a non transparent black with a tan head that falls fairly quickly, unfortunately there is literally no lacing left hanging around on the glass.

S:Just as you would hope by the name big coffee hints come directly up front followed
up by a nice roastiness. Also picking up some chocolate in the nose as well, really great smelling and inviting.

T:Very smooth up front with some roasted malts and a small amount of oats followed up in the middle, the backend is then totally dominated by a straight coffee bean taste that just takeovers the palate just as the nose detected.

M:Extremely well made body that is very creamy and rich that suits the brew near
perfectly.Palate is left coated by coffee that is still hanging around after the drink.

D:This one is another really good brew from Terripan, taste and nose are spot on for
what the beer should be according to the style. Easy drink with really no hint of the alcohol coming thru.I would probably go on the limb, with this being so good at a year old, that this is the dirty south's equal of some FBS.

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

After enjoying this on cask a couple of times recently, I couldn't wait to try it straight from the bottle...

A - Viscous pour... One fingers worth of tightly packed slightly fizzy dark brown head... The slightest of retention gives way to a thin slightly uneven veil of lacing and a thin collar... A completely opaque onyx black... Very still... Slightly ominous...

S - Glorious dark roasted coffee dominates... Also present is a very pleasant roasted malt component... Hints of both milk and dark chocolate... A touch of caramel...

T - The coffee shares prominence on the palette... Chocolate, roasted malts, and coffee work in harmony and provide mammoth complexity... Some faint hops emerge on the back end... Just an ever so faint alcohol heat presence... A bit of butterscotch on the finish as well... Delicious...

M - Medium to full bodied... Thick and dense... Chewy... Viscous... A slight but sharp carbonated presence... Exceptionally smooth...

D - An utterly delicious American Double / Imperial Stout... As good as it gets in readily available seasonal... This is worthy of buying a case and aging... I would opt for this over many of its more highly sought after counterparts...

Appearance: pours a black color with a dark brown 1" head. Thick lace develops.

Smell: roasted malt and coffee are most evident.

Taste: roasted malt, coffee, prunes, some chocolate, mild bitterness, oats, and mild alcohol tones create a well balanced beer.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crisp to start, smoother at the finish.

Drinkability: this is quite drinkable despite the higher alcohol levels. Nice beer.

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

I'm pretty sure this is my new favorite beer. Best coffee stout out there in my opinion, hands down.

A: Poured from bottle into Tiffany crystal beer mug. Black. Very very black. Thin tan head that quickly dissipates.

S: Coffee and hints of sweet chocolate. More coffee. Smells awesome. I can't keep my nose out of the glass. As good as it smells, I wish there were even a little MORE coffee aroma to it...and it's already pretty strong smelling of coffee.

T: DEAR GOD....it's awesome. Smooth, rich, blended coffee mixed with roasty malts and mild, sweet chocolate. I can't stop sipping it. I could probably chug it if I would let myself. Don't get much of the alcohol at all....but just enough to make it noticeable. Becomes a little sweeter with even more detectable coffee as it warms up.

M: Not too thick, not too thin. Just about right. If anything, I wish it were just a little bit thicker even. Not much carbonation.

D: Pretty good....I think I could probably do about 2 of these. I'd let myself do more but after 2 I think the alcohol content at 8.1 would probably start to numb my senses to the point that I wouldn't appreciate this beer as much and it is absolutely one that I want to appreciate and enjoy with every sip.

Overall an AWESOME beer and one that I can see myself enjoying for a long time to come! Side note: I also drank one aged over 1 yr on 12/26/11 and the coffee was still VERY present and highly enjoyable.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Sniffed from my carpet where I spilled my entire glass before bed.

Appears to have been very thick, as all twelve fluid ounces spread only a foot or so across the carpet and sank very deep, still revealing a dark-tan-colored amoeba-shaped stain at my feet.

I lean in to get faint whiffs of chocolate and a pungent, stale coffee aroma that intertwined delicately with layers of vanilla and perhaps a smidge of alcohol. It may of been the carpet but I smelled some rubber and lemon bleach as well.

I did not go as far as to lick the carpet. Close, though.

Absolutely delightful!

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance- Black. Very small ring of head, dark brown in color. Pours almost syrupy.

Smell- Dark chocolate and alcohol are up front in the aroma. There is also a cookie aroma as well. Most likely that is the oatmeal that I smell. Some coffee after it warms up a little bit.

Taste- Dark chocolate chip cookies. Lots of alcohol through out warms the throat as it goes down. The coffee comes out slowly as it warms up.

Mouthfeel- Very good. Heavy, almost slick and sticky stopping before it is too much.

Drinkability- I could drink a couple of these and be just fine. Probably not more than that, though.

I have had this before, but don't remember it being this good. Thanks to Hopsbreath, again!!!!

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%

I tried this beer a couple of years ago and didn't really like it. Saw it on tap at a restaurant with only a small selection and decided to give it another shot. I still don't particularly like the beer, but interestingly it is for completely different reasons.

The body of Wake n' Bake is black and completely opaque except for edges, and even those are dark brown and slightly translucent only when held up to the light. About a finger of brown head is fairly dense and has OK retention while leaving some decent lacing.

The aroma is mostly coffee with some roasted malt behind it. The coffee is a little bit harsh.

Wake n' Bake is unmistakeably a coffee stout, and coffee is the dominant flavor. My problem with this beer is that the coffee is harsh; bitter and astringent flavors overshadow the pleasant coffee characteristics. A hint of hops lurk in the background and a noticeable amount of roasted malt is there also.

Whatever else I can say about this beer, the mouthfeel is very good. Thick, creamy and full-bodied, just the way a stout should be.

This experience with Wake n Bake was completely different than my first one, and although I like it a little bit more, I still don't love it.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Opaque in body with little cinnamon head. Aroma of coffee, chocolate, cinnamon, pie crust. Chocolate, coffee beans, roast, burnt bread, slight raisin towards the finish, tang/sweet tobacco aftertaste. Heavy bodied with medium carbonation. A bit cola-like. Some astringent flavors come through.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Large thick tan head and black as night color. There are coffee, choclate, roasted vanilla beans all over this nose. The taste starts with the aroma and then is dominated by the smooth oatmeal and COFFEE flavor. The body is heavy and there is a bit of bitterness both from the hops and the coffee. A nice night cap or vacation starter, but after one you probably won't be back soon.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Pretty solid offering from Terrapin. I'm amazed I haven't tried it before. Appearance was kind of eh, not much to get excited about. Started out with a nice fluffy head, but quickly died out to a thin/spotty lacing. Taste was very nice, had a great coffee/malty taste, with a slight fruity finish. This is definitely a plus if you're a coffee lover. Probably one of the most aggressive coffee tastes I've experienced in a beer. Definitely a drinkable beer, but only 1, anymore and you could be nice and bloated afterwards. Overall a great beer to enjoy, especially on a cold night.

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

This is a brew I look forward to every winter here in Georgia.

A: I poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It really is as jet black as other reviewers describe. I didn't get much of a head on it,but there was some tan lacing.

S: coffee. Overpowering coffee. (note: the jittery joe's coffee they use in this is a good roast if you're into coffee.)

T: this brew has a very coffee taste, as you.d expect. I would say the end if the taste is a bitterness similar to that of drinking black coffee.

M: medium to full.

D: I'd say this beer is surprisingly drinkable for as dark as it is.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

poured from a 12oz bottle...
pours jet black with a brown head on it....smells like coffee, and toasty...the taste is awesome...oatmeal coffee chocolaty. the carbonation is pretty low and the head dissipated pretty quickly. pretty thin body for the style, a very good stout. i really enjoyed this beer, will buy it again.

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin Beer Company