Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial StoutTerrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -4%

Bottle (received in trade from glid02 -- thanks Gregg!)

A quick pour gave a beautiful, black brew with a small dark brown head with little retention. Very enjoyable just to watch.

Slight oat aroma eases out of the glass before giving way to the very faintest of morning coffee aromas. This is not your burnt Starbucks coffee, but more a light after-dinner coffee from Peets.

Very extremely light flavor at the front of the mouth, which almost seems to give very little away to the tongue. Just a faint hint of oatmeal again reveals itself as the beer crosses the middle of the mouth. The coffee comes through at the back, however, providing a bitter bite that at first seems like hops, but quickly reveals the true coffee nature of this stout.

Much like the aromas and the flavors, the feeling of the beer in the mouth follows suit, first with a light, creamy feel, before giving way to the heartier, hotter bite of the 8.1% and the heartier feel of the coffee.

An extremely enjoyable stout that could be savored for a long time. This was quite easy to taste and left no off-bitterness at the back, only a slightly dry yearning for more. I would love to have many more of these available to me on a regular basis!

route66pubs, Mar 04, 2009

Black. Black like creamless coffee. I have to crane my neck in search of maybe the slightest reflection of light. The head pour provided a thin film that quickly dissipated. Lacing is definitely present. The smell is coffee. Black, strong coffee.

What do you know? The taste is like strong black coffee. I feel like I should be drinking this out of a coffee cup. I like it because it's tough like black coffee. I would almost ask for creamer if it weren't at the risk of losing tough points. I wonder how this one would pan out in a black-and-tan.

The oatmeal reveals itself best in the mouthfeel. This drink with breakfast? I think this is breakfast. It reminds me of Willa Wonka or something where I have this delicious assortment of fulfilling breakfast flavor all bottled up here in my serving glass. I imagine a little time would significantly affect this beverage.

In addition to detecting coffee, every sense detects imperial. It's not drinkable like a vented Coors light. It's drinkable like black coffee. As much as I would like to rate this beer high, the reality is that it's not that drinkable.

Unless your tough like me.

marvin213, Mar 02, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

This beer is dark brown-to-black color with a mocha colored foam. The aroma is malty sweet with loads of roasted coffee beans, maybe a little dark chocolate also. The taste is rich with coffee beans but not so much to be astringent, with a little chocolate and malt sweetness supporting the coffee. Nice creamy mouthfeel (oatmeal) that coats and feels substantial. I think this might give Peche Mortel a run for its money, it certainly is at least as good as Breakfast Stout.

TurdFurgison, Mar 01, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Thanks to trader Tilley4 for this one!

Even though I don't drink coffee at all, I can't stop trying these coffee based stouts. After reading about "wake n bake", I had to try it.

Overwhelming coffee nose. Holy moly! For a non coffee drinker, it was probably even more overwhelming.

A really smooth coffee taste.

Enjoyable and a well done style but the coffee was too much for me.

ScreamForMe, Mar 01, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

12oz brown bottle with "Vintage 08" printed on "Best If Enjoyed Before" space.

Pours an inky visous ooze that didn't look like it was forming any head at all. I slowed the pour to a trickle and elevated the bottle about 12 inches away from the glass pouring directly into the middle. I got a two-fingered, dark brown head that mostly receded in a short amount of time. Like Spinal Tap's "smell the glove" album cover, there are 'none more black.'

Aroma is very roasty and full of premium coffee. There's a big chocolate presence also. Very well rounded and full smell. By far the best smelling coffee stout I've ever smelled.

Taste is coffee at full throttle. This appears to have a higher coffee to beer ratio than any beer out there. Either that or the flavors blend that well. You can certainly taste the malt and hops but the coffee takes the lead. Not nearly as bitter as many imperial stouts, let alone ones with java in them. Alchohol is well hidden.

Mouthfeel is medium-full and resembles coffee with full carbonation. It's well attenuated and dry with bitterness and not too hot from the booze.

This beer is world class and highly recommended.

gonzo46and2, Feb 28, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

black booty has treated me well so far. so onto this little gem.

pours pitch black into my brewery snifter. no head. a slight skim of mocha is on top. fizzles quickly. no real lacing.

smells like spent coffee grounds. iced coffee. smells like something i would love to drink in the morning. mmmm

taste follows close behind. i am basically drinking a smooth iced coffee. this is a tasty beverage. upon warming i get more malt but there is still that lingering coffee bitterness. tastes great.

mouth is full bodied. under carbonated. very smooth.

this is a good beer. i would love to have it again.

Mauerhan, Feb 25, 2009

Terrapin- Coffee Oatmeal Imp. Stout

A- Thick deep black with a huge tan head. Heavy messy lacing.
S- Deep cake icing chocolate with brown sugar and black coffee.
T- Sweet chocolate cake with brown sugar and deep roast black coffee.
M- Very creamy and smooth. Slightly sugary sweet up front.

Overall- Delicious and creamy smooth. Worth seeking out!

NJpadreFan, Feb 22, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

A-Is very, very dark with a short, chocolate colored head that falls to a bit of a cover. No real bits of lacing.

S-Is a strong dose of coffee and a little noticeable malt sweetness.

T-The coffee shows up from start to finish. In the middle is dark chocolate, roasted malt and cocoa powder.

M-Is fairly thick but not really syrupy to me.

D-I find it to be a nice sipper that goes quickly sip after sip. Alcohol is not evident. I wouldn't want to drink more than one per night but would be happy to have one on a regular basis.

There is a lot of coffee in this beer so you better like it. It feels a bit overdone on the coffee.

meatyard, Feb 16, 2009
4.3/5  rDev 0%

A - So, at first this looked to be pouring pretty flat, but then a big old Guinness style head swirled around and propagated upward in my Stone Imperial pint glass and nearly overflowed the glass. Body of this stout is *dark*, one of the darkest I've seen. Not a whole lot happens when I hold it up to the light. F'ing DARK....I think this one takes the trophy for darkest beer I've ever seen.

S - One note, but what a note it is. It's in your face freshly brewed coffee.

T - I don't think I've ever tasted this much coffee come through in a beer before. Is this iced coffee or is it beer? The head, once settled, actually looks more like an espresso crema than a beer head. It makes more sense to describe the taste in coffee terms than in beer terms - it's bright and relatively acidic, with citric notes. The citrus notes could also come from the hops, which certainly don't take center stage, but this being Terrapin, I'm assuming they are there. This really does blur the line between coffee and beer; I can't tell where one ends and the other begins. I wouldn't quite call this an Imperial Stout, because it lacks the heft, but it isn't a regular American Stout either. Whatever it is, it's great, but obviously, you have to like coffee. Otherwise, don't even think about it.

F - Most oatmeal stouts have a nice feel, and this is no exception. At times a little thin, but this is a really minor complaint.

T - It doesn't wreck you like most Imperial Stouts, you could have a couple. There HAS to be a good deal of caffeine in this...I feel the caffeine far more than I feel the considerable 8% alcohol....scary. I was pretty tired, but this perked me right up. For a stout of this size, very drinkable. I can only imagine pairing this with a quality tiramisu.

All in all, score another one for Terrapin. Keep sending your beer to South Florida, we appreciate it.

Patrick999, Feb 15, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4%

A-Pours a very deep opaque brown with a little bit of quickly dissipating head.

S-Oh, yeah! Fresh ground coffee roastiness with some background sweetness to round things out.

T-Very well balanced and delicious. Oatmeal sweetness combine with roasted coffee and milk chocolate. Easy drinking and memorable.

D-Medium bodied, creamy from the oatmeal with fine carbonation to boot.

D-I could drink this all night.

HV

sholland119, Feb 13, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

12 oz. bottle tried 22 Nov 2008. Courtesy of trep, thanks!

Poured in 0.4 L Steiner Pils snifter. Very small brown head. Light carbonation. Pitch black opaque, looks slick. Aromas of dark bittersweet chocolate, cocoa powder, roasty. Starts chocolatey, turning to mocha. Some coffee flavors but the chocolate predominates. Oatmeal mostly present in mouthfeel, medium body. Roasty coffee comes out in the finish.

More chocolate and less coffee but still tasty.

htomsirveaux, Feb 11, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

This bottle was courtesy of mullenite, thanks Josh. This little gem came in a 12oz. brown long-neck bottle with a "Best if enjoyed Before": Vintaged 8AA. Not sure what that means, but I'm guessing it was brewed / Bottled in 2008. With an aggresive pour into a Duvel tulip, comes a viscous jet-black liquid with a burnt brown 1/4" of foamy head to the surface. Carbonation looks subtle as the head settles to a ring and some patch with no lace clinging to the glass.

Straight to the nose comes fresh whole coffee beans and semi-sweet dark bakers chocolate. Smells like a breakfast beer if there ever was one.

The taste is fresh whole coffee beans, like you were chewing on them, and a mildly sweet chocolate steps right up to balance the bitterness before it steals the show. Nice blend of coffee and chocolate with the sweet and bitter mingling well. Finishes rather clean with a slight bitter bite left on the tongue...wake-up! Smooth pleasant feel to the mouth, alcohol burried significantly within the flavor and the subtle carbonation is just right for making this brew effortless to consume, unless perhaps you don't like coffee. I like coffee and as well, I really like this stout...cheers!

scottoale, Feb 10, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -12.1%

12 oz bottle courtesy of kiefdog. Pours black with a dark brown small head. Smell alot of coffee, hints of chocolate. Taste is similar to smell..alot of coffee. Silky texture, a little chewy but very tasty and drinkable. I like coffee so it works well. I liked it alot and look fwd to getting more.

gibby, Feb 09, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout pours an opaque black with a brown head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. Coffee dominates the aroma which I can smell as soon as I pop open the bottle. The flavor is dominated by coffee as well, malt is noticeable too, but hops, not so much. I feel a bit of alcohol warming, but it's not very noticeable in the taste. Pretty darn good.

Drew966, Feb 08, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -14%

This pours so incredibly thick and black. I think, for this reason, there is absolutely no head or lacing. There's not even a thin sheet on top. Pure motor oil. Smells of the woods, walnuts, alcohol, figs, cocoa, and just the slightest of coffee scents.

This brew goes down like velvet. Smooth and creamy as all get out. Perfect for an Imp. Stout. I almost feel like I have to chew this one. Spot on. The alcohol presence is very noticeable in this one. Nowhere to hide. I taste some chocolate, raisins, and a hint of tartness. I really don't taste the coffee, and hardly smelled it. This is good, but I've had better Imp. Stouts. Still, recommend.

Onenote81, Feb 03, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4%

This beer pours very dark with a tan head and dwcwnt lacing. The smell is BIG and full of chocolate and coffee hints. The flavor as well is very big and very well balanced, nice coffee flavors, hints of chocolate and very malty YUM! A nice creamy mouthfeel with a good carbonation level and a nicely drinable brew.

Biggness, Feb 02, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

12 oz. bottle with "Vintage 08" printed on the label. Pours completely black with a two-finger mocha colored head that rains almost like a Guinness head. Tons of lace as it fades

Smells of cocoa and coffee. Tastes exactly like it smells. Sweet chocolate that is well balanced with a big roasted coffee bitterness. Little to no alcohol presence. It gets even better as it warms. This is has more coffee presence than most "coffee" beers. It really feels like I just drank a cup of coffee.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth and full bodied. Drinkability is incredible. I wish I had bought more than one four pack, and at 7.99, what a steal.

daythree16, Jan 31, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +3%

Received in trade from marvin, nice extra!

Pours a dark thick syrup. Head comes up as an extremely dark, almost too dark color. It quickly disapates to litte or nothing. No real lacing. Im ready for a syrupy tasting beer (not a bad thing, see Bell's).

Deep coffee, dark almost burt malt. Not overpowering, almost subtle.

Upfront light. Extremely intest malt. Not overpowering, simpy deep. Nice stoutish flavor finish. All the flavors seem to be roasted, but not overpowering. Very well done. The best part is there is no 'sweet' element, only robust flavor.

Well balanced. CArbonatin might not be preset in glass, but comes out on the palatte. Lots of armona flying around after swallow. Nice reminder.

Great sipping beer. Boy would this go well with some Sheppards Pie!!

JasonA, Jan 31, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

received from yesac in trade. thanks!

Terrapin coffee oatmeal imperial stout

A- the beer comes out of the bottle into my pint looking black and thick with a coffee colored finger of sticky, lasting head.
S- coffee and roasted malts are about the only things in the nose here.
T- wow, the coffee is very dominant. Roasted malt follows, and a touch of alcohol brings up the rear. This has the most coffee in the taste of any beer ive ever tried.
M- full bodied and rather thick. Slight warming from the alcohol. Nice low level of carbonation.
D- if iced coffee contained alcohol, im sure this is what it would taste like. If youre looking for tons of coffee in your beer, this is a fantastic choice. The alcohol is very low key for an imperial stout. Im glad I got the chance to try this and wish it was for sale in my area.

jwinship83, Jan 30, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a rich dark deep black with a big brown head that falls to cap leaves some space lace but not much. But looks good aside form m the lacing issue.

Aroma is rich malty lots of big rich coffee aromas. Also nice chocolate and chicory or nut or something else in the background.

Taste is sweet to start chocolate maybe oats adding to sweetness. Then coffee takes over nice roasted coffee that coats the mouth with bitterness from coffee and maybe some hops. Taste is almost creamy with out being thick, coffee is dominate as it should be since its a coffee stout.

Mouthfeel is not as big some impy stouts but its creamy nice mellow carbonation.

Drinkability is good easy smooth favorable, maybe not on top of my coffee stouts list but could damn sure be close.

mntlover, Jan 28, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +7%

One of the best impy stouts around.

Pours deep black with a moderate tan head. The nose is intense with lots of roasted coffee and dark chocolate. The hit on the tongue is more chocolate, then quickly changes to a coffee-laced finish. The only minor, minor complaint is that the beer could use a slightly thicker mouthfeel.

Overall, in my top 10 of southeastern beers. Now if I could just find it on tap!

beer2day, Jan 26, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

omg! This beer is a fantastic coffee-oatmeal-imperial stout marriage. Pours a thick black-strap molasses, with about ½" - 1" head. Served from the bottle. Aromas suggestive of roasted coffee, chicory, and roasted barley, until it hits your pucker. The flavors take on characteristics of an acidic full-bodied roast coffee, yet there are notes of roasted barley on the tongue, with a wet and then dry mouthfeel, alcohol on the exhale. Sip, repeat. I can't wait to get my hands on another bottle.

slammgrass, Jan 26, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +3%

Special Thanks to bhalter8 for providing this in a recent trade!!! Great trader.... GREAT BA'er

Um, this is the perfect pour for Imperial Stout... Black as night... Perfect 2 finger creamy light brown head in my pint glass. Head is really luxurious and has nice retention...

Aroma is of coffee beans... Different vs. coffee itself....

Wow, the flavor follows the aroma... This is going to sound silly.... Here goes.. I love dark coffee and love to throw a couple of coffee beans between my cheek and gum... when I buy my French roast coffee... this really tastes like that... Which is good to me...
Not sweet at all... Really like a dark roast iced coffee... In New England that's a good thing... Very interesting. I am a black coffee French roast nut!! (big fan) ... And this is a perfect cup of coffee...
Can I start each day with this??? The more you drink it the more you sense the layers of roasted malt.... Really nice.... One of the best Coffee stouts I've had.

BETTER THAN FOUNDER'S BREAKFAST STOUT.. There, I said it!!!

Body is a better match for the flavor...

"Drinkability"... Juan Valdez and I could drink two pots of this fresh brewed!!!

Try this one!!!

Reagan1984, Jan 25, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

Recieved this in a trade with sincerenc. Poured into my trusty dfh snifter. agressive pour yeilds barely a few bubbles that cant really be called head. Nice dark color, doesnt stick to the glass like some sweeter imp stouts.

smells like a coffee stout i once made. could be a good thing could be a bad thing. coffee smells like cold coffee, if that makes sense...

coffee tastes stale, similar to FBS, but not as strong. sweetness crashes onto the palate but is ushered away by coffee bitterness and oatmeal dry smoothness. alcohol is not as apparent as most in the style.

flavors are broad across the palate. undercarbonation makes it slightly syrupy even tho it isnt a sweet stout.

There is a thick gelatonous aftertaste. coffee aftertaste is unappealing to me. i may be coffee-stout-ed out after this one.

imagineiii, Jan 23, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

12oz received as a cool extra in an already super cool trade from md655321 .... Mike threw down .... I've had the Wake-N-Bake a couple of times over the years... but never took the time to review it because I wasn't too sure it was "fresh".. this one has been in the fridge for a coupla days.. and tonight.. sounds good. Poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Fairly aggressive pour produced a good looking 1" head ... touches of lace.. above a deep very black brew..

The nose is obviously coffee.. Funny how scents can transport us back in time... The aroma immediately brings back memories that I haven't thought of in years... 4:00 AM at Johnnie's Diner in McConnellsburg PA.. 12 years old ... 1st day of Buck Season with my Pappy Deshong .... mid-late 80's.. unmistakable.. cold coffee out of a crappy Thermos hours later.. some of the best memories of my life... Now damn it.. I want runny eggs and toast sopping with butter... I know it is hokey... but it sorta brings a tear to my eye.

Flavor mirrors the nose but with a more "urban" cold coffee flavor.. beans with a little dark malt char.. the flavor has alot less chocolate than most big stouts.. but it is there no doubt.. there "seems" to be a creamy quality also.. the creaminess it there both in taste and mouthfeel.. silky and calming..

Great beer for sure.. Thanks Mike.. this brew is clean and clear and the mission is accomplished.. damn near close to perfect.

JohnGalt1, Jan 22, 2009