Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial StoutTerrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros
JasonA

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Received in trade from marvin, nice extra!

Pours a dark thick syrup. Head comes up as an extremely dark, almost too dark color. It quickly disapates to litte or nothing. No real lacing. Im ready for a syrupy tasting beer (not a bad thing, see Bell's).

Deep coffee, dark almost burt malt. Not overpowering, almost subtle.

Upfront light. Extremely intest malt. Not overpowering, simpy deep. Nice stoutish flavor finish. All the flavors seem to be roasted, but not overpowering. Very well done. The best part is there is no 'sweet' element, only robust flavor.

Well balanced. CArbonatin might not be preset in glass, but comes out on the palatte. Lots of armona flying around after swallow. Nice reminder.

Great sipping beer. Boy would this go well with some Sheppards Pie!!

01-31-2009 02:58:21 | More by JasonA
jwinship83

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

received from yesac in trade. thanks!

Terrapin coffee oatmeal imperial stout

A- the beer comes out of the bottle into my pint looking black and thick with a coffee colored finger of sticky, lasting head.
S- coffee and roasted malts are about the only things in the nose here.
T- wow, the coffee is very dominant. Roasted malt follows, and a touch of alcohol brings up the rear. This has the most coffee in the taste of any beer ive ever tried.
M- full bodied and rather thick. Slight warming from the alcohol. Nice low level of carbonation.
D- if iced coffee contained alcohol, im sure this is what it would taste like. If youre looking for tons of coffee in your beer, this is a fantastic choice. The alcohol is very low key for an imperial stout. Im glad I got the chance to try this and wish it was for sale in my area.

01-30-2009 14:57:30 | More by jwinship83
mntlover

Tennessee

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a rich dark deep black with a big brown head that falls to cap leaves some space lace but not much. But looks good aside form m the lacing issue.

Aroma is rich malty lots of big rich coffee aromas. Also nice chocolate and chicory or nut or something else in the background.

Taste is sweet to start chocolate maybe oats adding to sweetness. Then coffee takes over nice roasted coffee that coats the mouth with bitterness from coffee and maybe some hops. Taste is almost creamy with out being thick, coffee is dominate as it should be since its a coffee stout.

Mouthfeel is not as big some impy stouts but its creamy nice mellow carbonation.

Drinkability is good easy smooth favorable, maybe not on top of my coffee stouts list but could damn sure be close.

01-28-2009 21:17:11 | More by mntlover
beer2day

4.6/5  rDev +7%

One of the best impy stouts around.

Pours deep black with a moderate tan head. The nose is intense with lots of roasted coffee and dark chocolate. The hit on the tongue is more chocolate, then quickly changes to a coffee-laced finish. The only minor, minor complaint is that the beer could use a slightly thicker mouthfeel.

Overall, in my top 10 of southeastern beers. Now if I could just find it on tap!

01-26-2009 02:08:52 | More by beer2day
slammgrass

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

omg! This beer is a fantastic coffee-oatmeal-imperial stout marriage. Pours a thick black-strap molasses, with about ½" - 1" head. Served from the bottle. Aromas suggestive of roasted coffee, chicory, and roasted barley, until it hits your pucker. The flavors take on characteristics of an acidic full-bodied roast coffee, yet there are notes of roasted barley on the tongue, with a wet and then dry mouthfeel, alcohol on the exhale. Sip, repeat. I can't wait to get my hands on another bottle.

01-26-2009 01:59:07 | More by slammgrass
Reagan1984

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Special Thanks to bhalter8 for providing this in a recent trade!!! Great trader.... GREAT BA'er

Um, this is the perfect pour for Imperial Stout... Black as night... Perfect 2 finger creamy light brown head in my pint glass. Head is really luxurious and has nice retention...

Aroma is of coffee beans... Different vs. coffee itself....

Wow, the flavor follows the aroma... This is going to sound silly.... Here goes.. I love dark coffee and love to throw a couple of coffee beans between my cheek and gum... when I buy my French roast coffee... this really tastes like that... Which is good to me...
Not sweet at all... Really like a dark roast iced coffee... In New England that's a good thing... Very interesting. I am a black coffee French roast nut!! (big fan) ... And this is a perfect cup of coffee...
Can I start each day with this??? The more you drink it the more you sense the layers of roasted malt.... Really nice.... One of the best Coffee stouts I've had.

BETTER THAN FOUNDER'S BREAKFAST STOUT.. There, I said it!!!

Body is a better match for the flavor...

"Drinkability"... Juan Valdez and I could drink two pots of this fresh brewed!!!

Try this one!!!

01-25-2009 01:11:25 | More by Reagan1984
imagineiii

Vermont

3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

Recieved this in a trade with sincerenc. Poured into my trusty dfh snifter. agressive pour yeilds barely a few bubbles that cant really be called head. Nice dark color, doesnt stick to the glass like some sweeter imp stouts.

smells like a coffee stout i once made. could be a good thing could be a bad thing. coffee smells like cold coffee, if that makes sense...

coffee tastes stale, similar to FBS, but not as strong. sweetness crashes onto the palate but is ushered away by coffee bitterness and oatmeal dry smoothness. alcohol is not as apparent as most in the style.

flavors are broad across the palate. undercarbonation makes it slightly syrupy even tho it isnt a sweet stout.

There is a thick gelatonous aftertaste. coffee aftertaste is unappealing to me. i may be coffee-stout-ed out after this one.

01-23-2009 02:20:38 | More by imagineiii
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

12oz received as a cool extra in an already super cool trade from md655321 .... Mike threw down .... I've had the Wake-N-Bake a couple of times over the years... but never took the time to review it because I wasn't too sure it was "fresh".. this one has been in the fridge for a coupla days.. and tonight.. sounds good. Poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Fairly aggressive pour produced a good looking 1" head ... touches of lace.. above a deep very black brew..

The nose is obviously coffee.. Funny how scents can transport us back in time... The aroma immediately brings back memories that I haven't thought of in years... 4:00 AM at Johnnie's Diner in McConnellsburg PA.. 12 years old ... 1st day of Buck Season with my Pappy Deshong .... mid-late 80's.. unmistakable.. cold coffee out of a crappy Thermos hours later.. some of the best memories of my life... Now damn it.. I want runny eggs and toast sopping with butter... I know it is hokey... but it sorta brings a tear to my eye.

Flavor mirrors the nose but with a more "urban" cold coffee flavor.. beans with a little dark malt char.. the flavor has alot less chocolate than most big stouts.. but it is there no doubt.. there "seems" to be a creamy quality also.. the creaminess it there both in taste and mouthfeel.. silky and calming..

Great beer for sure.. Thanks Mike.. this brew is clean and clear and the mission is accomplished.. damn near close to perfect.

01-22-2009 10:09:32 | More by JohnGalt1
sonicdescent

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours thick and black with two fingers of tan head. Leaves a crown.

Smells strongly of roasted coffee bean with a small hint of chocolate. The malts dominated the nose.

Tastes is similar with a very malty taste with coffee and cream all around. Delicious and one of my favorite imperials period.

Mouth is thick and coating, carbon is low/med.

Drinkability, I could have this all day. Amazing brew.

01-21-2009 02:30:59 | More by sonicdescent
remllof

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Bought this beer on a cold day here in NC. First off the beer poured a jet black and thick creamy. Not too much for head retention. The smell, wow i can actually smell the coffee in this. I think i could replace my morning coffee with this. The taste is fanstastic, I can taste a good bit of coffee flavor but not too much of it. I dont think this beer would not appeal to a non coffee drinker. The mouthfeel is just exeptional. Feels just silky smooth, a nice bit almost creamy feel to it. Overall this is an outstanding beer and would recomend this to who has any interest in coffee flavors.

01-20-2009 04:25:22 | More by remllof
hoppheadIPA

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

One of the coolest labels I've seen in a long time. Pours a jet black almost like used motor oil into my pint glass producing a dark brown creamy head the dissapates as I drink leaving little to no lacing. Smells of coffee and chocolate. Tastes like esspresso with a hint of coco and alcohol. Absolutly delicious!!!! Very thick in the mouth and filling. Drinkability is ok being so filling. An outstanding brew. Watch out founders, there's a rival here.

01-18-2009 15:31:12 | More by hoppheadIPA
BrewerB

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Thank you tpd975 for the hookup on this beer!

Bottle code: Vintage08FX.

A - Jet black, formed a paper-thin light tan head that did not hold up. Leaves a brownish-tinge on the glass after swirling.

S - Strong coffee bean presence, dark chocolate, hints of charcoal, and plum. I'm picking up a red-wine type aroma which adds to the complexity though I can't pin down a varietal. Hops are difficult to detect.

T - More coffee coming through here with a pleasant creaminess to back it up. Slightly sweet with hints of fig and a dark chocolate character. Medium-high level of bitterness from the dark roasted malts. Moderate level of earthy character, possibly from hops.

M - Full bodied with a creamy, velvety texture. Tastes great and pleases the palatte on its way down. Carbonation is very low but is somewhat made up for by the increase in mouthfeel from oats.

D - Certainly a sipper, I'm happy to have acquired a few extra bottles. Tastes great now, I'm even more curious how well this will get with some age.

01-18-2009 00:28:56 | More by BrewerB
Buebie

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Thank you gford217 for this bottle!

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle with a vintage '08 stamp on the lable.
We are just a few days outside 2008, so I assume its still good.
Poured into an oversized snifter, semi-rigerously.
2 fingers of dark brown head formed after a delay off the pour, that was kinda cool.
Pitch black in color with zero light penetration. It looked pretty creamy off the pour. Minimal streaks of dark colored lace.

Aroma is sooo much pungeant dark roasted coffee and bit nutty creamy wiffs of peanut butter. Just a touch of chocolate...This could pass in aroma as a Reeses peanut butter cup.
Some chocolaty sweetness, but nothing in alcahol warming, nicely hidden.

Thick and smooth with a half and half like creamyness. This is a great mouthfeel right here.
A bit of carbonation up front quickly fading to all cream.
Tastes like an iced mocha heavy on the cream with more peanut butter. Its alot like DOAB from Tyranena with much less carbonation and more creamyness.
Starting sweet and coffee like with touches of chocolate and becoming uncreasingly nutty at the swallow. The finish is a lingering sweet flavor with nuts and more coffee. Slick like mouthfeel with a milk fat lingering heavyness on my tounge.

This is really really good. I need more of these, this is going back on the wants.
I'm very happy I got to try this beer, it was more then what I thought it would be.

01-17-2009 23:42:43 | More by Buebie
ncstateplaya

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Damn this bitch is black!!! With an unbelievably gorgeous peanut butter colored head. Immediately following the pour the head swelled to well over an inch thick...receeded to about an 1/8" Decent amounts of lacing in the glass.

Smell: Of course the coffee dominates the nose. Almost like fresh coffee beans with smokey undertones, possibly Sumatra. There are subtle notes of hops, but not enough to throw off or "disturb" the aromas of coffee.

Taste: The bitterness from the coffee is first and foremost. Much like the smell, a strong brewed smokey and nutty coffee. The hops are mainly detected in my burps, must attribute some to the bitterness of this brew.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. It coats the mouth and leaves it almost sticky. The carbonation is right on. It seriously feels great.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable, would earn a top notch if it weren't a seasonal. This is an extremely impressive beer that I look forward to each winter. Just look at is as a nice cold gourmet coffee...or a damn good beer for the soul. Either way, pick it up and try it.

01-15-2009 17:21:56 | More by ncstateplaya
nhudson

Alabama

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Had this at the Brickstore in Decatur the other day. I watched the lady bring it over from the bar to my table and could not take my eyes off the wonderful looking head this beer had. Brown with what looks to be coffee grinds in it. Once it got to me though the smell was of coffee, strong coffee with maybe a hint of chocolate. Taste is of coffee and cocoa with a nice hint of oatmeal to smooth everything out. After you drink it the bitterness pulls everything together. I also got a nice warming feel from the alcohol once drank. Overall this is by far the best coffee stout I have ever had and it's something everyone should try.

01-15-2009 04:36:08 | More by nhudson
Bung

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured black with a brown head. Smelled roasty with very much coffee. In the mouth some cocoa and roasted malts. I never though it would be possible to have too much roasted coffee tones, but this one comes real close. Nice and thick. Little bitter at the finish. One of the better ones I had this past winter.

01-15-2009 03:04:53 | More by Bung
BARFLYB

4.43/5  rDev +3%

12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass. 2008 vintage. I wonder why they changed the name from wake & bake, only one reason comes to mind.

A- This Imperial stout pours out jet black into the glass creating a dark tan foam head that's quite thick. As it dies down many tiny brown dots are scattered throughout the surface. A little swirl brings back a moderate head momentarily & releases the coffee scents more. This actually looks like coffee.

S- This is one IS that does not slack on coffee. according to the bottle it comes from Jittery Joes in Athens GA, using different blends. Behind the coffee lies a nice mix of oatmeal, chocolate & roasty malts. I smelled this one for quite some time it's just that pungent.

T- The coffee really overpowers and actually made my eyes bulge at the flavor intensity, with the chocolate smoothing things down some which i did not mind. A bit of oatmeal on top of some malt backbone. Other flavors present include caramel and some cream. alcohol is distant.

M- A nice creamy smooth ride as Wake & Bake is quite thick with some stickiness. The alcohol does not get in the way while the coffee does so that may be a problem for some, but not for me. Pretty slick, A great stout to leave linger on the tounge for a while. mild bitterness.

D- At 8% I could go for two at the most with such a vast amount of flavor. I barely detected any alcohol presence in this brew so that's a plus. Could use more oatmeal. I can see why they called this wake and bake now as i could have this at anytime of the day. I'd like to try some different vintages one day. The nose was the best feature to me.

This rivals breakfast stout, I need more stat!

01-14-2009 04:54:58 | More by BARFLYB
donkeyrunner

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Really does look like coffee when poured from bottle to glass. Black brew with a dark mud brown head. Lack of lingering head makes TCOIS look like motor oil.

For a minute TCOIS smelled like red wine. That went away and it smelled like dark roast coffee with some kahlua thrown in.

This tastes more like coffee than any other coffee beer I've ever had. It even has a coffee-esque aftertaste. Dark roast, black coffee to be specific. Some dark malt in there but unfortunately it's overshadowed by an alcohol giddiness. Oaty silk mouthfeel. Very similiar to kahlua and coffee.

via brentk56

01-14-2009 03:12:39 | More by donkeyrunner
Tilley4

Tennessee

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Had this at 3 Crows in Nashville...

Black, black, black... Totally black with a small head but excellent lacing...

Aroma doesn't seem as prevalent as from the bottle... Some roasted malts and a hint of coffee but not the coffee bomb I remember it being...

Smooth malty taste with hints of coffee and chocolate... Not as prevalent on the coffee as from the bottle but still delicious...

Can't tell if I like this better than the bottle or not... Its good but not terrific..

01-13-2009 17:38:29 | More by Tilley4
prototypic

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Many, many thanks to lightindarkness for the bottle.

Appearance: This one's very dark brown in color. Very close to jet black. No light's getting through at all. The head was a little disappointing. It appears to be a dark mocha color, but only appeared on the surface for a moment. It disappeared quickly and minimal lacing behind. Too much alcohol? Perhaps.

Smell: The nose is absolutely loaded with sweet chocolate malts. This smells liquid chocolate. Roasted coffee is strong and apparent, but a little secondary to the chocolate. There's some light vanilla and molasses that add some character. Smells slighly of oak or wood. An interesting feature, but nice nonetheless. Alcohol is faint. All in all, great smelling beer. Not extremely complex, but very enticing.

Taste: As the nose suggested, Wake n Bake is full of chocolate malts. It's a very sweet (and satisfying) chocolate flavor. Coffee/espresso flavors are robust and really have a great impact on its overall flavor, especially for the coffee lover. At the secondary level, there's a slight roasted malt flavor, as well as some vanilla and molasses. This is really working for me. I like the flavor a lot. The oak or wood flavor is here, but it's faint, subtle, and effective. Alcohol is noted, but it's blended well. Very tasty beer.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied knocking on medium's door. As it is, it's too thin. That's really the only knock on Wake n Bake. It's still somewhat smooth. Carbonation is light and doesn't hinder its feel. Drinkability is good. It has lots of flavor and a very respectable 8.1% abv. I'd probably stick with one in a sitting. I just can't see myself doing more than that.

I've never actually had a Wake n Bake morning. I'm not exactly a "bake" type. However, I can still appreciate this beer. It's very, very good. It has loads of great flavor. It'd benefit from a little more body. But, it's damn good as it is. Worth seeking out.

01-13-2009 02:42:52 | More by prototypic
daliandragon

4.43/5  rDev +3%

I've missed this two years in a row and made sure I grabbed it the first time I saw it in the winter season. The turtle on the label is baking up some tasty treats, excellent. Pours a most brilliant jet black and is opaque atop a cocoa head that laces little and dissipates in about four minutes. The nose is comprised of coffee, chocolate, and burnt notes but little notable in their absence were oatmeal and alcohol.

Wow, this is seriously thick and syrupy with a blast of chocolate and a bit of coffee right off the bat. The next stage is an oatmeal influenced, silky smooth finish laced with hop bitterness and alcohol. Nearly flawless throughout, this is flying down my throat at a scary clip. Maybe my new favorite from Terrapin, this really good, go get some.

01-12-2009 04:10:13 | More by daliandragon
CoalCellar

4.9/5  rDev +14%

Poured from a bottle into my DT goblet...

a: Pours jet black with traces of a dark/brown head that quickly fades...
s: Delicious, fresh, roasted coffee, and chocolate.
t: This one doesn't disappoint. Extremely smooth with a rich coffee flavor and fudgy chocolate finish surrounded by oatmeal cookies.
m: thick and smooth, coats the tongue.
d: I rate this one high for coffee fanatics like myself. Goes down easy and leaves your taste buds satisfied. This one lived up to the hype for me.

01-12-2009 02:01:06 | More by CoalCellar
tmoneyba

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Bottle shared by ajsdad06.

A - Poured a black color with an average frothy brown head that mostly lasted with excellent lacing.

S- Moderate chocolate, coffee and caramel aroma.

T - Heavy roasted chocolate bittersweet flavor with a heavy roasted bittersweet finish of moderate duration.

M - Medium to full body with a smooth texture and flat carbonation.

D - This is a standout brew.

01-11-2009 18:49:59 | More by tmoneyba
merlin48

Kentucky

3.58/5  rDev -16.7%

Bottle pours dark, opaque, and ebony with a small light brown head that quickly disappears. Thin sheets of lace drape the glass.

Aroma is strong roasted coffee, bittersweet chocolate, and earthy hops. Nuttiness emerges as it warms.

Full bodied with low carbonation and some coffee bean acidity.

Taste is mostly dark roasty malt bitterness accented by roasted coffee. Alcohol is well hidden. Almond nuttiness emerges as it warms. No fruity notes and the oatmeal isn't picked up either.

Slightly disappointed in this one. Run of the mill as big coffee stouts go.

01-11-2009 17:26:55 | More by merlin48
CrellMoset

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Terrapin's Wake'n'Bake, on tap at Monk's Cafe, upstairs bar, Asheville, NC. Served in a traditional American pint glass.

Appearance: A deep black bodied beer with only the faintest hints of lighter brown around the edges. The head is fast-fading and minimal, though largely because it was brought to me full to the brim (many thanks) and leaves little to no lacing. Thick looking.

Aroma: Pungent medium-to-dark roast coffee, served with fresh wholesome multigrain toast. I recall the bottle version being pure, unadulterated oatmeal raisin cookie. That bottle had been aged over a year, though, and I'm assuming much of the coffee - detectable here - had faded. They're both good, though I think I prefer the aged bottle version.

Taste: All the right notes here. Coffee comes through a lot, strong, creamy and sweet, just how I take it. A wholesome oatmeal note is definitely present, as are impressions of dark raisins and chocolate - chocolate covered raisins? - which makes for a great addition. So very full, rounded, and enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Crisp yet full, with plenty of carbonation in a relatively thick body leading to a big and fluffy though not really creamy (though still even) mouth. Improves vastly as it warms.

Drinkability: Breakfast in a glass, this one's a damn good beer. Alcohol is completely hidden and reasonable - low, even - for the style, and it hits all the right notes. Buy a four-pack of this one to put away.

01-11-2009 02:46:54 | More by CrellMoset