Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,526 | Reviews: 1,232
4.62/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured into my newly acquired Surly pint glass. Deep dark black. No highlights at all. Small half finger head of light brown color. No real froth as I would expect from this.

Smell is awesome!! I am as much a coffee snob as a beer snob so the smell of fresh roasted coffee in my beer makes me happy. That's not the only thing going on here. Deep roasted sweet malts, dark chocolate and a tad boozy.

Taste is such a sweet roasted malt, coffee, dark chocolate bomb!! The booze is there too, but not overpowering. Wow!! Like dessert, German chocolate cake?

The mouth is good but not exceptional like the rest of this brew. The head was kinda flat and never recovered from the pour. Silky, smooth and chewy though. That helps the score.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer. I waited a while to finally try this. Held up to the hype! Highly recommended!!

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

2010 vintage poured into a pint glass.

A: As black as the coffee used to brew it, with one finger's worth of mocha colored head that faded fairly quickly and gave little to no lacing.

S: Absolutely inviting. Coffee, oats, roasted malts, hint of chocolate. The smell alone is mouth-watering.

T: A perfect blend of coffee and oatmeal. Also tastes of roasted malts, chocolate, and a faint hint of what might be dark fruits.

M: A slightly heavy mouthfeel (which I enjoy) with low carbonation. Pretty much everything I'd want from an imperial stout.

O: This is one of the tastiest beers I've ever had. I trade for it every opportunity I get, and it makes me sad I can't buy it locally. For having 8% ABV, it's *extremely* drinkable. Plus if you add it to a Moo Hoo and make a Wake 'n' Moo, you've created essentially an alcoholic Jamocha shake. If this was available locally, it might be one of the only things I drank in the winter months. I can not say enough about this beer. If you haven't tried it, put it on your must-have list!

308th review on BA
bottle to snifter
12 oz bottle

Thanks to GuruDel for the generous gift.
Consumed on 3/11/11

App- Like a black cup of joe. Dark, very thick with a one finger quick dissapaiting head.

Smell- Well again, like a cup of joe but a beer. Bready malts, roasty and a slight hop kick.

Taste- Roasted malts with a huge kick. It's a very good coffee/oatmeal blend. Lush and rich at the same time.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a medium carb level. A huge roasted malt after.

Drink- Hi, coffee @ 10:45 PM. I hope I sleep. Roasted malts are the biggest thing to this beer and they are top notch.

*edit- Yes, I slept fine. The Rye-on-Rye before this ensured me of that.*

4.02/5  rDev -6.5%

big thanks as usual to marvin213. Pours a strikingly dark near-black murkiness with a two-finger dark cocoa-powder colored head with impressive retention but minimal gobs of gooey lacing.

aroma stands up to the best of 'em. Coffeee. sweet malt, dark cocoa, a hint of maple, and an impressive dose of bitter espresso. almost a hint of sour cocoa and turkish coffee in the nose.

coffee dominates with some bitter earthiness, maybe a touch of green hops (or maybe its just more coffee?). Sweet dark malts. a touch of blackstrap molasses. A surprising bit of alcohol heat for the abv is a bit surprising and takes the flavors down a touch for me.

mouth is slick, oily and resinous with acidic coffee slickness. ample carbonation helps cut through the sticky coffee.

Potent and crazy coffee-forward, i was hoping for a touch more flavor and a hint less alcoholy heat, which makes the drinkability drop down a notch for me. but still an amazing brew and definitely one of my top coffee brews.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

Wake-n-Bake Seasonal 2010. Much thanks to GallowsThief for the bottle. Poured into a NB globe.

A - W-n-B pours a nice black body with a thin cocoa colored head that dissipates rather quickly. Very good looking lacing along the glass makes for a very pleasant looking brew.

S - What a great aroma this beer has! As soon as I opened this it reminded me of a small coffee shop early in the morning. The coffee notes as well as roasted malts are very present in this beer. Hints of dark chocolate in there as well. I could stick my nose in this all day.

T - The oatmeal aspect really becomes noticeable in the taste. Everything comes together to make a really wonderful beer. Coffee and espresso flavor is also very noticeable. A bit of chocolate in there to round it all out. Just awesome.

M - Creamy and full bodied. Has a nice warming aspect as well.

D - Would I have another of these? Absolutely. A great stout from the guys down at Terrapin.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

A: Pour is completely black, slim brown head raises and disappears quickly. Hardly any lacing.

S: Smells like coffee really. Some Chocolate and malts in there, but mostly coffee.

T: Dominated by coffee also. Starts off with chocolate, oatmeal, and some roastiness, but then the coffee attacks you. Really the most aggressive coffee taste I've ever experienced in a beer. Was honestly looking for a bit more balance.

MF: Heavy bodied, but short of creamy. Finish is crazy dry, some carbonation, but minimal alcohol noted.

D: Hurt a bit by the huge, unbalanced, flavor. In the same light, for the style it isn't bad.

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

A-nice black body with tan head that quickly disapates
S-okay coffee. Go figure with a name like this right?
T-little bfit of coffee, little bit of oatmeal, little bit of metal taste?
M-medium body and smooth
D-moderate drinkablility. The label makes it seem a lot better than this beer actually is.

2.8/5  rDev -34.9%

Bottle says W-n-B, Seasonal:2010.
Pours black with a finger of relatively quickly dissipating cocoa head. Looks good. Smells rather intensely of coffee with a backing of chocolate and however you would describe that oatmeal stout smell (oats?). Smells good. Oh, ugh. The taste up front is roasted coffee and chocolate, but the back is bitter metallic chocolate oatmeal. It just hangs on the palate, as though someone dropped a penny in my drink or something. I don't know whether to blame over-roasted coffee, catching fading hops at the worst possible time or what, but the finish of this beer is really unpleasant. A metallic bitterness just lingers on the back of the tongue... But, the mouthfeel is good...medium, high carbonation and medium-full bodied without being syrupy. The drinkability...well, I mean, the awful, lingering aftertaste totally kills it. I really thought I was going to love this beer and I just cannot get over what seems to be a major flaw. Hopefully I just caught this beer at the wrong time. Back half was a drain-pour, unfortunately...

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter... Huge thanks to GehenHerzog. One of the best traders on this site.

A- Pours vicious and black with roasted tan head. The head quickly turns into medium sized bubbles which coat the glass. Amazingly sticky lacing.

S- Smells of strong roasted espresso beans with a touch of vanilla. This one is all coffee. I can already taste this beer from its smell if that makes sense. Creamy espresso which is making my mouth water.

T- A burst of the best espresso beans you've ever tasted. Roasted and sweet with a slightly bitter creamy finish. Absolutely stunning flavors that create an orgasm on the palate.

M- No words could do this justice. Creamy, smooth and endlessly delicious. Feels warm and delightful on the palate and while going down.

D- Superb for a imperial coffee stout. Right up there with Breakfast Stout. This is one of the tastiest, creamiest beers ever to be created. If Illinois got this beer, I'd be broke.

4.16/5  rDev -3.3%

A fantastic extra from a fantastic trader rhong187

A really dark burnt chocolate with a dark mocha head that caps a two fingered head that doesn't look like it is going to be going anywhere anytime soon. As the beer gets drank and warms down, head stays and turns a deep ruby red  Alot of carbonation coming from the bottle and gives this beer a real live look.

Stinks like chocolate and carmel, like alot. Overwhelmingly so almost. Really sweet malts, and the coffee smell isn't really present, but the oatmeal is really strong.

Smooth, strong, harsh, and velvety all at the same time. Like wow I am getting so many different flavors it's taking me forever to describe it. First impression is like biting into a milky way bar, really great chocolate bite with a creamy caramel feel. Warm chocolate oatmeal with an expresso finish. A blend of great flavors that I wish I had more access to during the year.

A really great dessert beer that complemented a red velvet cupcake beautifully. Def a sipper, but one that needs to be enjoyed slowly.

My beef with this beer lies with the mouthfeel. I think it is a little too thin. For the amount of flavor that this beer has, I feel like it should have a thicker mouthfeel.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Thank you Alieniloquium for this tasty brew in my first trade. Generous trader. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into La Fin du Monde tulip. No bottled on date, but says "Seasonal 2010". Drank with a Founders Breakfast Stout back, just for reference.

Appearance: Pours a pitch black with a thin cream colored half finger head. Decent amount of lacing. This is a beautiful beer.

Smell: The smell is fantastic. It caught my nose as soon as I cracked it...Great aroma of coffee, and oat. The oat stands out more in this than the Breakfast Stout.

Taste: The oatmeal taste is in full effect. Not all that roasty, but it's there. Dark chocolate, coffee, and a little sugar. Has a nice sweetness to go along with the bitter hop/dark coffee flavor.

Mouth: The moutfeel is nice. There is alot going on in this beer, very complex. I really like it. Good carbonation level...Really explodes in your mouth.

Drink and Overall: Overall a really great Imperial Stout. I feel bad that I compared this to Breakfast Stout. Breakfast Stout is one of my favorites, and the Wake n Bake holds up well to it. It is a great beer on it's own. For over 8% ABV, it really is a smooth tasting stout.

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

a- bottle poured into a tulip pint, pours thick like oil, one finger thick tan head fades leaving trailing and uneven lacing, dark black coloring.

s- holy coffee, some sweet cream, really really smells like a pint full of iced coffee, this is amongst the most coffee smelling beers i've had.

t- choc full of coffee, tastes like a glass of coffee with a splash of cream it in, roast is there, not overly intense, dark chocolate, sweet cream.

m- full, creamy, nice.

d- nice, i'm drinking this at noon on a tuesday and it's hitting the spot. this would pair awesome with a short stack of pancakes and a side of extra crispy bacon. i'd definitely drink this again.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Very dark black in color, with cappuccino brown colored head.

S: A good amount of coffee in there, espresso, oatmeal and chocolate. There isd a nice touch of roasted grains, the aroma is something very interesting, not overpowering but not muted. It seems like an effortless success.

T: Creamy goodness at first with a touch of chocolate. Coffee comes up next, and it is not shy, roasted coffee and espresso notes, with some earthy tones. There is a bit of a bit from the alcohol and perhaps some tannin flavors in the finish.

M: Medium in body, carbonation works for the style, and there is a nice creaminess to it.

D: Overall very enjoyable. Although it doesn't seem to meld the flavors together with as much grace as some other beers of similar styles. Still, I wouldn't turn it down.

After hearing people compare this to Founders Breakfast Stout, I had to get me some! Thanks to wino47 for hooking me up with the 2010 version.

Now, on to the beer, and Founders Breakfast it is not. That isn't to say it isn't great though - it's just a very different beer.

The appearance is similar, in that it's jet-black with that Imperial Stout dark tan head - but that's the only similarity. Where BS is huge on malt bitterness and stong, roasted coffee flavours, Terrapin features a more subtle approach - not very bitter, a lot of roasted coffee and tobacco on both the nose and mouth, but I get a little sweet lactic taste in there as well. Reminds me of Milk Sugar, but I guess that could be the oats working? I hesitate to say that it's more drinkable than Founders, but really, I could pound both of 'em all day long, not just for breakfast . . .

Whatever it is, it's great, and this is definitely one of my fave's for morning beers. Seek it out if it's not readily available to you.

4.34/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle (most recent release - Nov/Dec 2010 I believe) into a chalice.

This brew is a thick black color with wisps of dark head that fade quickly. I go in for a sniff and immediately want to plant my nose in this all night. Roasted malts and some really nice coffee. Smells so good. Chocolate and a touch of hops hit the mouth right away, then some serious coffee comes in. This is black coffee, and tastes really really good. Oatmeal contributes some smoothness, and some of the roasted malts come in for the finish. A solid imperial stout, if just a little uneven transitioning from the chocolate and hops to the coffee.

The mouthfeel is full and fairly carbonated, it goes down just a bit prickly, and the drinkability is alright. It's a sipper for sure, but with a lower ABV than most sippers have. A great imperial stout, next release I want to try this super-fresh to try to get as much of the coffee flavor as possible.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Thanks both to CaptinRedBeard and SlickMcCricket for sending bottles of this fine brew.

Pours nearly black, producing a finger of light brown head. This fades slowly to some lacing.

Coffee is clearly the dominant smell here, with some nice roasty malt and chocolate notes playing second fiddle.

As with the smell, coffee defines the flavor, with everything else playing around it. I also pick up toasted grain, a bit of smokiness, and some oatmeal character.

Full and creamy on the tongue, the mouthfeel is quite pleasant.

Excellent flavor and well hidden alcohol come together quite nicely. Drinkability is just about as good as it gets here.

3.77/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

nose of coffee syrup...nestle's quick...a bit of wet tobacco...

mouthed...

smoked coffee beans...hint of vanilla...chocolate tartness..needs to warm a bit...

still the coffee!..bold....if there is chocolate i ain't tasting it....a tiny bit o creaminess....some oat flavor...

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

A-Pours pitch black...no light escapes. Medium head...that is caramel color. Head fades quickly.

S-Coffee...very strong coffee smell...maybe some chocolate as well but coffee is certainly to dominant aroma

T-Wow...I pick up the strong flavor of coffee backed up by the flavor of oatmeal. I detect some chocolate as well...perhaps dark.

M-Thinner than I would have expected...the Appearance would have led me to think this would have been much thicker...I characterize it as medium. Smooth mouthfeel...some creaminess.

D-High...it packs a punch and a delicious one at that. I could drink a few of these.

Notes: Before trying this beer...Founders Breakfast Stout was my king...now...their is a new beer on the throne for the "breakfast" style beer....terrapin's coffee oatmeal imperial stout.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to shaujw for this one...poured from a 12oz bottle in to my Chimay goblet...

This beer pours deeeep brown, with a thin ecru head and no lacing to speak of...a strong nose laden with strong roast malt, coffee,anise,molasses,cocoa...encountered a chocolate,burnt,coffee infused flavor with a sort-of chocolate milk mouthfeel....well hidden alchohol precence....very quaffable....enjoyed the hell out of this beer...

4.17/5  rDev -3%

Served in a snifter

Thanks to injuredreserve for this awesome tick

This is poured from a what appears to be an 08 vintage of the beer. I was surprised since I had figured that I received a new one in the BIF.

This beer pours a super viscous blackness that only can contain a sheen of tan foam on the surface before returning to the oil slick from which it poured. I assume that the age of this beer is to blame for that atrocity. The aromatics are rather pleasant. There are notes of coffee which is rather nice, along side that there are smoke and toasted oats. The roast takes an aback to the nice caramel sweetness from the malts. The roast does however show it's head when it comes time to taste. I sampled flavors ranging from coffee to vanilla and sweet caramel butterscotch. I think I also was able to detect some almost fruity characteristics from the body, almost a faint raspberry taste. The body was oddly thin for something that contained oats. This was still a highly drinkable beer, and I wonder to myself what a fresh one might taste like.

3.62/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lightly chilled bottle into a glass, courtesy of Sideswipe. Thanks!

The label reads VINTAGE09AA.

A: Pours a pitch black body with just the barest edge penetration. It forms a beautiful finger-thick mocha-colored head, finely bubbled. Retention is moderate, leaving a few sticky clumps of lace on the sides of the glass.

S: Very coffee-forward. That rich oatmeal aroma is unmistakable, and it works very well with additional notes of dark chocolate, roast, and mild molasses.

T: Bittersweet chocolate leads the way on this one, segueing beautifully into coffee with a slight roastiness in the finish. Hints of molasses throughout. Oatmeal is most noticeable near the finish; it imparts a graininess that is reminiscent of vanilla. Quite a nice flavor, though it lacks the coffee punch of fresh FBS and CW Coffee Stout (then again, if I'm reading the label correctly, this is two years old).

M: Medium-bodied, which is a bit light for the style. I don't mind that, but it falls off the tongue a little faster than I appreciate. But it's very creamy, which I do enjoy.

D: I want to revisit this one and see if a fresh bottle impresses me more. It shows a lot of promise.

3.96/5  rDev -7.9%

Appearance - Poured in to a Dogfish signature snifter. Pours a deep dark black. Head is dark brown to burgundy that fades rather quickly. Small ring of lace at top of beer but nothing much.

Smell - Overpowering coffee, can't smell hardly anything else. A little bit of molasses and earthy hops.

Taste - This is a great beer for its style. Coffee all the way. There is no question about it. Coffee upfront, dark roast sweet malt behind. Finishes a little warm in comparison to some of the other imperial coffees.

Mouthfeel - Nice and creamy. Not too thick and has a good level of carbonation. Covers the whole palate.

Drinkability - I would definitely trade for this one again. It is a solid beer for a late brunch or early lunch. Looking forward to the other 3 I received!

Cheers

Thanks CurtisMcArthur for the trade and the opportunity to try this beer!

12 oz bottle poured into a Southampton Imperial Russian Stout release party snifter. Label says "2010 Seasonal" or the side and the website says they release this in November, so its about 3-4 months old right now.

Look: pitch black body with no head despite a very aggressive, direct downwards pour. There's no lace either. Lookin' good.

Smell: a huge black coffee aroma with hints of molasses. The coffee is very strong and overpowers any other aromas that might be there.

Taste: follows the nose with a huge coffee forward taste. Bits of molasses, roasted malt and a bit of alcohol. The coffee, like in the aroma, overpowers the other flavors that might be going on in the background. Its good if you like coffee but its a bit one dimensional.

Feel: medium to full bodied, nicely creamy, hints of alcohol warmth. Its not quite thick enough for an imperial stout, but its still good.

Drink: its a good drinking imperial stout that I found to be pretty easy to drink. This is helped by the fact that its not remarkably complex, keeping your palate from getting fatigued.

Overall, this is a pretty good imperial stout. It could be improved by cutting back on the coffee a bit, because right now the coffee really overpowers everything else going on and I wouldn't mind some extra complexity. Still, a pretty solid breakfast stout and I'm glad I got to try it. Cheers!

4.3/5  rDev 0%

(12oz bottle). Pours nearly black with chocolate head. Aroma is big time coffee, but there are sweet notes of dark fruit and vanilla? Taste is bitter from the dark roast coffee, but as with the aroma, there is sweetness to balance this beer out. Oatmeal adds some smoothness/creaminess as well. Full bodied with a silky texture. Bitter, but balanced, finish. Mmmm. This is delicious! Want more!

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: midnight black with small head that dissipates down to a light tan lacing around the glass

Smell: even amounts of chocolate and sweet coffee. the smell alone indicates the mouthfeel will be phenomenal.

Taste/Mouthfeel: good amount of carbonation up front followed by a nice coating of coffee and hints of chocolate. it coats the mouth nicely and leaves a slight malty aftertaste with hints of coffee. nothing is overpowering and blends perfectly together. not too thin but not very thick either.

Drinkability: this is very smooth. something definitely to be savored and does the job nicely. The ABV is hidden extremely well.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin Beer Company