Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial StoutTerrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

$10 for a 4 pack in Georgia. Pours a very dark, dark brownish/black with a redish/brown head. No lacing throughout the drink. Smell is mostly coffee with a tiny bit of chocolate, very appeasing. Taste is smooth, almost like drinking cold coffee with a little alcohol at the end. Mouthfeel is good and it's very drinkable but watch out as the 8.1% sneaks up on you by the end.

Bavaria1516, Jan 31, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Tasted with 5 other Imperial stouts. Pours black with small brown head. The aroma is dominated by bitter coffee notes. The flavor is sweet with chocolate and caramel but it is the coffee that is most obvious. Moderate bitterness in the finish and the body seemed a bit light. This was enjoyed and if not for the quality of the other beers would of stood out as quite special.

jobyone, Jan 30, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +14%

Big thanks to Mikesgroove for this brew packaged in my Black Booty Booty. Mike's beer knowledge far surpasses mine. More than 1 of the brews he sent, I was clueless about or didn't realize how great a brew it was. This is one of these. I'd wanted to try the "Wake-n-Bake" and didn't realize this is the one until I went to review the second bottle he sent me(this one). I've had other Terrapin brews and enjoy them just as much as this one. Again, Thanks a bunch, Mike.

12oz. brown bottle poured into a Tulip. Vintage '08 cleared marked.

A: Warning: Anyone about to review this beer, be advised that the head is a slow volcano. This is the second time I've had this and both times I had to suck the head up before it overflowed. Even an average pour will surprise you. With that being said: Pours a straight black with no visibility and a moderate viscosity. Like I said, the head erupts and remains tight but eventually dies to a thin skim. Patching lacks a bit.

S: Brilliant sweet and bitter coffee, borderline espresso. Just a hint of coffee and rolled oats. These flavors dominate and I wouldn't have it any other way.

T/M: Same as the nose. Delicious coffee and sweet and bitter chocolate. Just a touch of oatmeal in the back adds an amazing depth to everything. Hops level are moderate yet it adds a fresh crispness to everything. Body surprisingly isn't full out but has a nice smoothness to it that is quite rare. Actually might be just a tad thin, but certainly not too thin. Carbonation doesn't get in the way but will still rebuild a strong head with a healthy swirl in the tulip.

D: Very easy to drink. Very rare to find an imp/RIS stout that drinks this easy. I very much wish I could have this brew on hand at all times. Just as good as Founders Breakfast Stout, yet easy to come by(trade for me) and easy drinking.

pwoods, Jan 30, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass. Looks like motor oil coming out. Almost no head to speak of. Smell is what else? Coffee and lots of it. Roasted malts in there as well.

Taste is very well balanced between the respective coffee and beer aspects.

Overall, a great beer by Terrapin.

jdubjacket, Jan 29, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Black as tar with a light brown head that lasts. Very little lacing.

Lots of coffee, but that's to be expected. There's also a bit of chocolate and alcohol going on as well.

Initially very sweet, I'd swear there was chocolate in this one. The coffee plays a role, but doesn't come out as strong as other I've had in this genre. There's a lot of alcohol in the taste as well, though, and a slightly plastic-like aftertaste.

Feels like silk. Low carbonation, sticks really well all over your mouth. Wonderful.

The only cons to this beer is the slight alcohol taste and aroma and the kinda weird aftertaste. Bot are forgivable, though.

bboven, Jan 27, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured into a snifter. Inky black in color. Big dark head composed of surprisingly large bubbles. These large bubbles don't leave much lace however.

Extremely roasty aroma of espresso and semibitter chocolate.

Flavor is mainly coffee with some sweet chocolate and subdued dark fruitiness. There's an unpleasant metallic chalky bitter note here that's pretty distracting.

Mouthfeel is a bit high on carbonation and a bit low on body.

Drinkability suffers from the out-of-place chalkiness and the thin body.

illidurit, Jan 25, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

this beer became one of my favorite after having on tap at a Taco Mac in Atlanta in 2006. The beer pours up dark and chocolate colored. It finished with a sticky brown caramel colored head. The smell of coffee jumps off the glass but it is not overwelming. It tastes outstanding. Hints of Chocolate,Coffee,and some roasted notes as well. This is an exceptional offering and my favorite of the Terrapin Family!

Auburnbean33, Jan 25, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -4%

a: This is almost black, a very dark ruby red. It pours with a huge dark brown head that lasts.

s: Roasty aromas of coffee, dark chocolate, and a bit of molasses.

t: This is abit milder than I expected, but still quite good. A warming alcohol and coffee taste blend well with a bit of dark chocolate.

m: Thick, luscious, and creamy. Absolutely perfect.

d: Thanks to JDV for this one. It's unfair I suppose, but comparisons to Breakfast Stout are inevitable. This one doesn't measure up it is damn tasty none the less.

DIM, Jan 19, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks to ncvbc for the trade. Vintage 08 on the bottle.

Pours dark with some red highlights. About an inch of chocolate colored foam quickly forms and almost as quickly settles back to the glass.

Aroma is mostly coffee, dark roasted coffee with oats. Chocolate and roasted malts in the background along with some warm milk aroma, cocoa, and a bit of oak and vanilla. The smell is really appetizing; I’m picturing a cup of coffee with frosted flakes.

The coffee taste is just a tad sweeter than expected from the heavily roasted aroma, very good though. Coffee is at the forefront with some chocolate, roasted malts, maybe a bit of dark fruits, and malted milk. A bit of chocolate covered cherries in the finish which I’m thinking it comes from the alcohol.

Excellent amount of carbonation, and not too thick either.

I wouldn’t mind one bit getting a few more of these.

seaoflament, Jan 18, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -17.9%

12 oz bottle thrown in as an extra by Metallitone1, thanks! Solid black with a brown head that was large and persistent. Smell is straight coffee grounds and not much else. The taste starts out coffee, then fruity and then a strong coffee finish. Tasty stuff but I'd prefer 6oz to 12.

ArrogantB, Jan 17, 2008
4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle

A: Pours a thick pitch black with a small brown head. No retention, no lace.

S: Black coffee hits the nose first, some sweet hints, some cream and roasted malt.

T: A little sweet and slightly fruity up front, finishes in a sweetish coffee and roasted malt. Some hints of alcohol mixed in that goes well. Some warming on the way down.

M/D: Little carbonation, a full, silky slick, slightly creamy body. Drinkability is good on this one. The 8.10% is noticeable, but in a good way. I could see waking up on a cold morning and having one of these.

NCSUdo, Jan 17, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured this beast into a pint glass, pours a motor oil slick black with a seriouls carmel colored head that stays the entire drink and leaves some thick fat lace on the glass. Smell is of you guessed it strong coffee and dark chocolate, i also smell a bit of bitter thrown in there as well. Taste is smooth and silky it has that chocolate coffee bitter taste with that is meant to be sipped, this beer even gets better as it warms up, simply amazing. I am so happy that we are finally getting Terrapin in S. Florida, I would of never thought we would get their fine seasonals down here, simply amazing stuff one of the best stouts I have ever drank.

gunnerman, Jan 15, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

I am enjoying this beer after the first day of my last semester of law school. I picked these up on a recent trip to Nashville.

The beer no longer has the monster beer tour label around the neck. I thought that looked pretty good.

The beer poured into my De Garre snifter as balck and thick as anything I have ever seen before. The beer left about a centimeter tall dark mocha head.

This beer smells more like coffee than coffee. It is like sniffing a bag of freshly ground french roast. Awesome. There may be a bit of dark chocolate in there as well, but the coffee is by far the most predominant aroma.

In the taste is where more flavour and complexity arive. The coffee taste is massive, but there is a nice dose of chocolate and a wee bit of roast. A hint of bitterness in the finish and not a trace of alcohol hotness.

A very creamy beer, low carbonation. Nice.

If you dont like coffee, I dont know how you could like this beer. To me, it is not overpowering, but I could see how others would think so. The drinkability suffers a little because of this powerful flavor, but not too much. This is on amazing and unique stout.

IPAcraig, Jan 09, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Picked up a 4-pack at a Whole Foods for $9.99

Since I've been drinking a lot of Founder's Breakfast Stout lately comparisons to that for this beer will be inevitable. Overall, I enjoyed this beer especially at the cheaper price than BS, but I would still rather drink BS to this. Anyways...

A: It pours out of the bottle like a thick syrup and is a rich, dark, opaque black liquid with a very dark, dense, thick tan head. Unfortunately, head has little retention and quickly dissipates and leaves very little lacing.
S: Not as rich or strong as BS. Roasted coffee and malt aromas and an unexpected hint of some citrus flavors hiding in there. Alcohol is peeking through too.
T: The coffee and oatmeal flavors are both very bold and to a much lesser extent some dark chocolate. Not as complex or balanced as BS. Alcohol also makes an appearance in the finish along with a mild sweetness.
M: Very light carbonation and very smooth, silky taste. There is something weird going on for me as at first this feels very thick and robust but at same time I'm left with a watery sensation. Finish leaves an odd slightly bitter, coffee, dry aftertaste. I think the minimal carbonation is what is really throwing me off here.
D: I really wanted to like this more than I did. It's a very good beer, with plenty of bold flavors as the name suggests but overall there's just something missing for me. As a cheaper alternative to Founder's Breakfast Stout this is great, however, I would still just rather drink that. Definitely worth a try if you like coffee and certainly a unique beer itself.

yourefragile, Jan 09, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks goes out to JoshWow for the trade on this.

It pours a deep brown with a very thin swirl of head that dissipated quite quickly. The nose is packed with the coffee aroma. It smells like I have a cup of espresso at my nose. There is also some bittersweet chocolate coming to the nose as the beer warms as well as some burnt brown sugar smell. The taste of coffee is very dominate on the palate and almost overwhelms everything, but it isn't just the flavor regular coffee. It is like if you mixed a cup of espresso with a shot of regular coffee and melted some sweet chocolate and finally some toasted malt. This is really nice. The mouthfeel is very smooth from the oatmeal flakes in the brewing process. Slight alcohol warmth to this with medium carbonation. You need to be in the mood to drink this, but when you are it is a real treat to drink. This is my idea of a beer that would go well with breakfast. This was a really nice sipper.

TheodorHerzl, Jan 08, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

This is a great beer when you’re in the mood for it. It is not as well balanced in some areas, but if that’s what you’re looking for it makes out for a great beer. The dark tan and chocolate color pour lets you know what you’re in for. The fresh coffee smell comes out well in the nose. The first few drinks give you’re mouth a shock before you get used to the full taste. The coffee is a bit over powering at first but calms down later in the beer. There is notes of dark chocolate but it as well as the toasted malt flavor are somewhat masked by the powerful coffee. I think this beer would be great with a few years on it as well.

RoBotGod, Jan 08, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a dark black color with a tan head that leaves pretty decent lacing around the sides of the glass. The aroma explodes with roasted coffee beans and dark roasted malts. The taste is dark roasted malts that starts out smooth and malty with coffee flavors bringing in the bitter finish. The oatmeal makes it's presence felt in the mouthfeel creating a smooth and creamy palate. Overall, this is one of the better Imperial Stouts on the market that is highly recommended.

cjgator3, Jan 07, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +3%

Pours black with a big dark khaki head that holds a thin layer and leaves just a touch of lacing.

Smells like a blend of a citrusy coffee and cocoa with a touch of smokiness. Lots of cocoa and coffee in the taste, and some cookies. Some citric notes are buried under the cocoa, but present. Malt sugar sweetness. A touch of bitterness on the finish. Silky mouthfeel is amazing. Not too hard to drink. The alcohol is very well masked. I really liked the Big Hoppy Monster; this was another good offering from Terrapin. I have become more of a fan with each one of their beers I drink.

NCBeernut, Jan 02, 2008
3.03/5  rDev -29.5%

A_This one pours a really rich dark black. The two finger head is almost as dark as the liquid. The complaint is that it settles down a bit too quickly. lacing is minimal.

S_Interesting odours coming off of this bad boy. There are bits of soy sauce, coffee, fermentation(if that makes any sense) and light chocolate. Not sure if I like this or not.

T_The taste starts out with a sweet cola like sensation. This is then followed up with a bitter roasted quality with hints of coffee, not as much as the name would suggest. There is a decent underlying acidity which helps clear things up.

M_A bit towards the viscous stage but with a higher carbonation than expected. I seem to be sensitive to that today.

D_For some reason this is just not doing it for me. I would not say this is a bad beer, but i have been drinking a lot of good stouts recently and this one is not one of the best. I have been impressed by this brewery before and was really looking foward to this one. A bit of a let down. I think living in San Diego and drinking Speedway as my go to coffee stout may have spoiled me. Still, good to try.

sleazo, Dec 31, 2007
4.9/5  rDev +14%

appearance: Motor oil black with a caramel shining light around the rim, that's after a two finger thick foamy mocha brown head settled down, fully lasting leaving a trail of sticky lace from top to bottom of glass.

smell: WOW! My kind of brew. Intense Cuban espresso coffee mixed well with molasses upfront. As the scent faded, some soy sauce, dried dates and slighty burnt cookies come through, ending with that robust espresso coffee and a hint of alcohol.

taste and mouthfeel: full body, syrupy, huge coffee flavor upfront, it's smooths out quicky leaving a silky feel. The coffee is so intense that nothing else shines through. However, this long bitter dark chocolate aftertaste comes through that sticks for a while, leaving you longing for more.

drinkability: Bring it on. I could drink this brew all night. Love it from start to finish.

Overall, this brew ROCKS!! I personally love coffee stouts and Terrapin is right on with this one. I paired it with a homemade roasted vegetable lasagna. Enjoy.

GimpyCane, Dec 27, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

I got this bottle in a trade with RustyDiamond. Thanks Rusty!

This pours from 12oz bottle a pitch black with a large head of tannish foam.

The smell is a strong nose of coffee and roasted malt. I almost want to break out the fry pan and cook me some eggs and bacon. ;^)

The taste is coffee dominated with side orders of chocolate, roasted malt, and just a bit of citrus hop bitterness lingering in the background. It finishes with a very roasted malt bitterness, the body is medium full, and it's fairly lightly carbonated.

This is the first coffee inspired IS that comes close to going over the edge with the flavour. This is good and all but it's definetly going to take me some considerable time to finish this bottle and it's not because of the alcohol as I think it is hidden pretty well.

Thanks again, Rusty!

Edit:

Jan 9, 2011:

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout...2007. I can't believe I let this one slip by for so long.

There's certainly nothing wrong with the sound...a nice big pop when I removed the cap, and the look...Blackest of blacks and a decent though short lived head of tan foam.

The smell has with a big Port like aroma with a ton of caramel malt and chocolate. No coffee left at all but I reckoned that would be the case.

Big milk chocolate, caramel, Port flavours with mucho dark fruits. Holy hell. This is superb! Not what the brewer intended, for sure, but at this stage in the game, it drinks very much like a beautifully aged Old Ale or English Barleywine Ale.

Still close to full bodied and there's mostly lightish carbonation until the swallow when I get some very spritzy notes on my throat.

This is the surprise of this century so far for me. I would never have guessed that a most excellent coffee Stout would evolve into something even better. I wish I had a case of them so I could share!

Bitterbill, Dec 24, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Very dark with light crema-like brown head.

S: Deep coffee scent complimented by a light fruitiness that brings airs of vanilla and chocolate.

T: To say it tastes like coffee is to oversimplify this beer's flavor. First, it hits you with a smooth chocolately taste Next comes a somewhat sweet, creamy yet strong espresso flavor. Very slightly bitter aftertaste; much less that one would expect from an 8.1 ABV beer.

M: Creamy and smooth with a little tingling on the tongue.

D: Delicious but deadly. Remember that just because you can't taste the alcohol doesn't mean it's not there.

This has been one of my favorite beers of the winter. I plan on buying a few more 4-packs to cellar.

kuranes, Dec 20, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Bottle. Poured a black color with a super-thick light-brown head. Light aroma of coffee and maybe some vanilla and hops too. Mouthfeel was okay, although more carbonation than I would have preferred. Flavor is pure coffee with a chocolatey finish to it. A pretty good impy stout, although not one of my favorites.

Dansting, Dec 20, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

w00t it's winter for Terrapin.

A - pours black with a nice brown head; looks smooth and lovely

S - coffee coffee coffee, chocolate and roasty hints. Did I mention coffee?

T - coffee coffee coffee, again a fair bit of chocolate hints, roasty deliciousness

M - excellent; full-bodied, smooth, a bit of carbonation

D - great! This should be something that puts you down after one, but it doesn't despite the strength and fullness of the body. Just as delicious as I remember it from last year. Do yourself a favor and have this ASAP! It's going to be a good winter =)

ruckzuck, Dec 17, 2007
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

poured inky thick, black, and oily with a 3-4 finger dark brown head that was foamy with small bubbles close to the beer and large bubbles at the top.

smell was strong malt, coffee beans and alcohol on nose. sort of a leather, nutty, vanilla whiff as well

Taste was predominantly coffee, slightly bitter but basically very strong expresso. If you served it to me hot in a coffee cup i would think it was strong expresso with some nutty flavored alcohol added like amaretto or something. the 8.1% abv was hidden well.

it was very smooth and creamy, but wasnt as coating as i expected for how thick and inky it looked which made for a high drinkability score.

I would love to have more of these, too bad i cant get them readily.

tayner, Dec 13, 2007