Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial StoutTerrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured this beast into a pint glass, pours a motor oil slick black with a seriouls carmel colored head that stays the entire drink and leaves some thick fat lace on the glass. Smell is of you guessed it strong coffee and dark chocolate, i also smell a bit of bitter thrown in there as well. Taste is smooth and silky it has that chocolate coffee bitter taste with that is meant to be sipped, this beer even gets better as it warms up, simply amazing. I am so happy that we are finally getting Terrapin in S. Florida, I would of never thought we would get their fine seasonals down here, simply amazing stuff one of the best stouts I have ever drank.

gunnerman, Jan 15, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

I am enjoying this beer after the first day of my last semester of law school. I picked these up on a recent trip to Nashville.

The beer no longer has the monster beer tour label around the neck. I thought that looked pretty good.

The beer poured into my De Garre snifter as balck and thick as anything I have ever seen before. The beer left about a centimeter tall dark mocha head.

This beer smells more like coffee than coffee. It is like sniffing a bag of freshly ground french roast. Awesome. There may be a bit of dark chocolate in there as well, but the coffee is by far the most predominant aroma.

In the taste is where more flavour and complexity arive. The coffee taste is massive, but there is a nice dose of chocolate and a wee bit of roast. A hint of bitterness in the finish and not a trace of alcohol hotness.

A very creamy beer, low carbonation. Nice.

If you dont like coffee, I dont know how you could like this beer. To me, it is not overpowering, but I could see how others would think so. The drinkability suffers a little because of this powerful flavor, but not too much. This is on amazing and unique stout.

IPAcraig, Jan 09, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -10.3%

Picked up a 4-pack at a Whole Foods for $9.99

Since I've been drinking a lot of Founder's Breakfast Stout lately comparisons to that for this beer will be inevitable. Overall, I enjoyed this beer especially at the cheaper price than BS, but I would still rather drink BS to this. Anyways...

A: It pours out of the bottle like a thick syrup and is a rich, dark, opaque black liquid with a very dark, dense, thick tan head. Unfortunately, head has little retention and quickly dissipates and leaves very little lacing.
S: Not as rich or strong as BS. Roasted coffee and malt aromas and an unexpected hint of some citrus flavors hiding in there. Alcohol is peeking through too.
T: The coffee and oatmeal flavors are both very bold and to a much lesser extent some dark chocolate. Not as complex or balanced as BS. Alcohol also makes an appearance in the finish along with a mild sweetness.
M: Very light carbonation and very smooth, silky taste. There is something weird going on for me as at first this feels very thick and robust but at same time I'm left with a watery sensation. Finish leaves an odd slightly bitter, coffee, dry aftertaste. I think the minimal carbonation is what is really throwing me off here.
D: I really wanted to like this more than I did. It's a very good beer, with plenty of bold flavors as the name suggests but overall there's just something missing for me. As a cheaper alternative to Founder's Breakfast Stout this is great, however, I would still just rather drink that. Definitely worth a try if you like coffee and certainly a unique beer itself.

yourefragile, Jan 09, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks goes out to JoshWow for the trade on this.

It pours a deep brown with a very thin swirl of head that dissipated quite quickly. The nose is packed with the coffee aroma. It smells like I have a cup of espresso at my nose. There is also some bittersweet chocolate coming to the nose as the beer warms as well as some burnt brown sugar smell. The taste of coffee is very dominate on the palate and almost overwhelms everything, but it isn't just the flavor regular coffee. It is like if you mixed a cup of espresso with a shot of regular coffee and melted some sweet chocolate and finally some toasted malt. This is really nice. The mouthfeel is very smooth from the oatmeal flakes in the brewing process. Slight alcohol warmth to this with medium carbonation. You need to be in the mood to drink this, but when you are it is a real treat to drink. This is my idea of a beer that would go well with breakfast. This was a really nice sipper.

TheodorHerzl, Jan 08, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

This is a great beer when you’re in the mood for it. It is not as well balanced in some areas, but if that’s what you’re looking for it makes out for a great beer. The dark tan and chocolate color pour lets you know what you’re in for. The fresh coffee smell comes out well in the nose. The first few drinks give you’re mouth a shock before you get used to the full taste. The coffee is a bit over powering at first but calms down later in the beer. There is notes of dark chocolate but it as well as the toasted malt flavor are somewhat masked by the powerful coffee. I think this beer would be great with a few years on it as well.

RoBotGod, Jan 08, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a dark black color with a tan head that leaves pretty decent lacing around the sides of the glass. The aroma explodes with roasted coffee beans and dark roasted malts. The taste is dark roasted malts that starts out smooth and malty with coffee flavors bringing in the bitter finish. The oatmeal makes it's presence felt in the mouthfeel creating a smooth and creamy palate. Overall, this is one of the better Imperial Stouts on the market that is highly recommended.

cjgator3, Jan 07, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours black with a big dark khaki head that holds a thin layer and leaves just a touch of lacing.

Smells like a blend of a citrusy coffee and cocoa with a touch of smokiness. Lots of cocoa and coffee in the taste, and some cookies. Some citric notes are buried under the cocoa, but present. Malt sugar sweetness. A touch of bitterness on the finish. Silky mouthfeel is amazing. Not too hard to drink. The alcohol is very well masked. I really liked the Big Hoppy Monster; this was another good offering from Terrapin. I have become more of a fan with each one of their beers I drink.

NCBeernut, Jan 02, 2008
3.03/5  rDev -29.4%

A_This one pours a really rich dark black. The two finger head is almost as dark as the liquid. The complaint is that it settles down a bit too quickly. lacing is minimal.

S_Interesting odours coming off of this bad boy. There are bits of soy sauce, coffee, fermentation(if that makes any sense) and light chocolate. Not sure if I like this or not.

T_The taste starts out with a sweet cola like sensation. This is then followed up with a bitter roasted quality with hints of coffee, not as much as the name would suggest. There is a decent underlying acidity which helps clear things up.

M_A bit towards the viscous stage but with a higher carbonation than expected. I seem to be sensitive to that today.

D_For some reason this is just not doing it for me. I would not say this is a bad beer, but i have been drinking a lot of good stouts recently and this one is not one of the best. I have been impressed by this brewery before and was really looking foward to this one. A bit of a let down. I think living in San Diego and drinking Speedway as my go to coffee stout may have spoiled me. Still, good to try.

sleazo, Dec 31, 2007
4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

appearance: Motor oil black with a caramel shining light around the rim, that's after a two finger thick foamy mocha brown head settled down, fully lasting leaving a trail of sticky lace from top to bottom of glass.

smell: WOW! My kind of brew. Intense Cuban espresso coffee mixed well with molasses upfront. As the scent faded, some soy sauce, dried dates and slighty burnt cookies come through, ending with that robust espresso coffee and a hint of alcohol.

taste and mouthfeel: full body, syrupy, huge coffee flavor upfront, it's smooths out quicky leaving a silky feel. The coffee is so intense that nothing else shines through. However, this long bitter dark chocolate aftertaste comes through that sticks for a while, leaving you longing for more.

drinkability: Bring it on. I could drink this brew all night. Love it from start to finish.

Overall, this brew ROCKS!! I personally love coffee stouts and Terrapin is right on with this one. I paired it with a homemade roasted vegetable lasagna. Enjoy.

GimpyCane, Dec 27, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -11.4%

I got this bottle in a trade with RustyDiamond. Thanks Rusty!

This pours from 12oz bottle a pitch black with a large head of tannish foam.

The smell is a strong nose of coffee and roasted malt. I almost want to break out the fry pan and cook me some eggs and bacon. ;^)

The taste is coffee dominated with side orders of chocolate, roasted malt, and just a bit of citrus hop bitterness lingering in the background. It finishes with a very roasted malt bitterness, the body is medium full, and it's fairly lightly carbonated.

This is the first coffee inspired IS that comes close to going over the edge with the flavour. This is good and all but it's definetly going to take me some considerable time to finish this bottle and it's not because of the alcohol as I think it is hidden pretty well.

Thanks again, Rusty!

Edit:

Jan 9, 2011:

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout...2007. I can't believe I let this one slip by for so long.

There's certainly nothing wrong with the sound...a nice big pop when I removed the cap, and the look...Blackest of blacks and a decent though short lived head of tan foam.

The smell has with a big Port like aroma with a ton of caramel malt and chocolate. No coffee left at all but I reckoned that would be the case.

Big milk chocolate, caramel, Port flavours with mucho dark fruits. Holy hell. This is superb! Not what the brewer intended, for sure, but at this stage in the game, it drinks very much like a beautifully aged Old Ale or English Barleywine Ale.

Still close to full bodied and there's mostly lightish carbonation until the swallow when I get some very spritzy notes on my throat.

This is the surprise of this century so far for me. I would never have guessed that a most excellent coffee Stout would evolve into something even better. I wish I had a case of them so I could share!

Bitterbill, Dec 24, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Very dark with light crema-like brown head.

S: Deep coffee scent complimented by a light fruitiness that brings airs of vanilla and chocolate.

T: To say it tastes like coffee is to oversimplify this beer's flavor. First, it hits you with a smooth chocolately taste Next comes a somewhat sweet, creamy yet strong espresso flavor. Very slightly bitter aftertaste; much less that one would expect from an 8.1 ABV beer.

M: Creamy and smooth with a little tingling on the tongue.

D: Delicious but deadly. Remember that just because you can't taste the alcohol doesn't mean it's not there.

This has been one of my favorite beers of the winter. I plan on buying a few more 4-packs to cellar.

kuranes, Dec 20, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -7.9%

Bottle. Poured a black color with a super-thick light-brown head. Light aroma of coffee and maybe some vanilla and hops too. Mouthfeel was okay, although more carbonation than I would have preferred. Flavor is pure coffee with a chocolatey finish to it. A pretty good impy stout, although not one of my favorites.

Dansting, Dec 20, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

w00t it's winter for Terrapin.

A - pours black with a nice brown head; looks smooth and lovely

S - coffee coffee coffee, chocolate and roasty hints. Did I mention coffee?

T - coffee coffee coffee, again a fair bit of chocolate hints, roasty deliciousness

M - excellent; full-bodied, smooth, a bit of carbonation

D - great! This should be something that puts you down after one, but it doesn't despite the strength and fullness of the body. Just as delicious as I remember it from last year. Do yourself a favor and have this ASAP! It's going to be a good winter =)

ruckzuck, Dec 17, 2007
4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

poured inky thick, black, and oily with a 3-4 finger dark brown head that was foamy with small bubbles close to the beer and large bubbles at the top.

smell was strong malt, coffee beans and alcohol on nose. sort of a leather, nutty, vanilla whiff as well

Taste was predominantly coffee, slightly bitter but basically very strong expresso. If you served it to me hot in a coffee cup i would think it was strong expresso with some nutty flavored alcohol added like amaretto or something. the 8.1% abv was hidden well.

it was very smooth and creamy, but wasnt as coating as i expected for how thick and inky it looked which made for a high drinkability score.

I would love to have more of these, too bad i cant get them readily.

tayner, Dec 13, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Jet black with plenty of light brown head. Gorgeous looking beer. Lots of coffee and cereal on the nose. Coffee and milk chocolate dominate the taste. Oatmeal or cereal undertones. Big thick body with a full and chewy palate probably from the oatmeal. Seeing how the name applies to mornings, I decided to have one last night for an initial taste but then give my review this morning so that I could really into the breakfast experience. I find this easier than coffee to down. If this were a year-round brew, I would probably take this over coffee every morning.

Ah yes, also last night I finished my beer by pouring it into a small cup of ice cream. This was a wonderful idea. It was like adding a little milk or cream to my coffee. Great morning beer and a great dessert beer. What more do you want, you greedy bastard?

clemsonbrewer, Nov 29, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -18.9%

12 oz. bottle, 2007 version, 8.1% ABV. Pours pitch black with no shades, hues, streaks, etc... Thick foamy mocha head, which trickles down to a very thin layer quickly.

Coffee and cream aromas leap out of the glass.A bit of chocolate in the back, along with suggestions of dark fruit.

Medium roast coffee and chocolate flavors come out first. After that, this completely fell apart. Not the silky mouthfeel I was hoping for, instead this seemed to be a fizzy mess. Very carbonated, which made it hard to pick up anything else. What a distraction. Things started well, but the carbonation has made this one to messy.

Bierguy5, Oct 23, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

This has to be one of my favorite beers from my favorite brewery in the South (where allegedly there is no beer culture).
Poured from a 12 ounce bottle (2007 Beer Tour) into a pint glass.

A. Poured a deep black with a great thick head that left copious lacing.

S. OMG!!! This beer suddenly shines!! Chocolate, oatmeal and malt. I wanted to dive right in.

T. Awesome comes up short. I like Coffee Stouts, but usually they have a bitter finish. The oatmeal in this beer smooths the beer.

M. A creamy finish for an astounding beer.

D. Two things limit it's drinkability..1. the abv is well masked and hidden, will slap you hard and...2. hard as hell to find, even here less than 500 miles from the brewery.

This beer tastes like what Starbucks would serve if they brewed a beer. Sweet, not like cold coffee. I plan to hoard this winter release this year. Their best beer!!!

MarkSCCOT, Oct 18, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

thanks to markgugs for this delicious beer.

Pours a black opaque color that lets no light penetrate this one. A creamy, fizzy chocolate milk color head sits on top of this one. Smell is of coffee, chocolate, toasted, burned malt. Taste is sweet initially as it rests on the tongue then coffee flavors make a bitter ending. Creamy mouthfeeling that is so smooth. Very good beer, wish I had some more!

genog, Oct 13, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

2006 vintage, purchases at Five Points Liquor in Athens. Poured from the 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The thick, slightly oily body is a deep dark black, topped by a small flourish of tan head that quickly dissipates to nothing. A good bit of suspended particles are the result of a less-than-careful pour. Aroma of rich roasted malt, dark roasted coffee, and the underlying sweetness of oatmeal and dark chocolate.
Palate is rich and complex - roasted malt up front, with the sweetness of the oatmeal and some chocolate flavor emerging mid-palate. Finish remains sweet, although a touch of bitterness from the coffee comes through on the swallow. Aftertaste is a blend of slightly sweet roasted malt and mildly bitter coffee. Body is rich, thick, and a touch sticky, as would be expected for a heavy imperial stout.
While still tasty and drinkable, I think the carbonation suffered in this beer due to the longer-than-expected aging I gave it. Drink it when it's relatively fresh, and you'll have absolutely no complaints. Still, it's a mighty fine stout, and the perfect accompaniment to the sweets I picked up at St. Cupcake today.

ElGordo, Oct 12, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Thanks to unclejedi for this brew.

Poured into a chalice a thick black color, nice carbonation, awesome two-finger creamy brown head, slight sticky lacing around the edge. The nose is malty, oaky, tons and tons of coffee, toffee, and chocolate. The taste is HUGE on malts, coffee/toffee/chocolate. Full body, well rounded brew. Very drinkable, this is an very tasty DS, highly recommended.

Wasatch, Oct 06, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -4.9%

Glugs out pitch black with an obscene amount of cocoa colored soapy head that dies pretty quick. Draping sheets of lace occur with each sip. Smell of huge roasted coffee beans, coffee grounds, cocoa and a tiny bit of hops. Tastes of the yummy coffee beans, sweet malt, a little hazlenut and a hoppy finish. Mouthfeel is medium with way too much carbonation. Kind of stings. No ABV apparant at all. This would be one of my favorites if it wasnt for the carbonation. Well worth drinking nontheless.

franksnbeans, Sep 29, 2007
3.55/5  rDev -17.2%

I was fortunate enough to get two bottles of this one from BC2. Thanks jgaston and aprilluvsbeer!
It poured a basic black with dark brown edges (only visible in strong light). The chocolately, dark brown head dissipated pretty quickly, leaving a few large bubbles scattered around. It looked thick off the pour. Lots of coffee and roast in the aroma, almost to the point of coffee grounds, with sweet caramel in the background. Fairly low hop bitterness, very roasty with lots of coffee. Sweet caramel maltiness provided some balance and there was a pleasant nutty flavour as well. It finished with a little extra bitterness and some green, grassy hops. There was too much carbonation for me, it really got in the way of the body and texture. Once flat, it had a decent, full body. Some warmth and dryness towards the end. Nice enough overall, but it seemed kind of one dimensional and was a little overcarbonated.

DrJay, Sep 27, 2007
3.23/5  rDev -24.7%

Thanks to kirok1999 for this one. Included as part of the BrewsnTunes BIF.

12 oz bottle poured into an imperial pint glass. Nice dark mocha colored head that stands a couple of fingers width and recedes the a solid ring. Color is a solid black and lets no light through.
Smell has the dry chocolate-y notes familiar with an oatmeal stout with a bitterness of strong coffee. Sweet malty balance.
Taste is very bitter like a burnt unsweetened espresso. Burnt toast qualities in the malt. There is some hops presence, but it does not seem to blend evenly. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a crisp carbonation.
This beer did not win me over, it seemed a bit too much all over the place.

bort11, Sep 19, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -13.1%

Acquired via trade from cashew70, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color with a large brown head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is loaded with exactly what the name implies, coffee and oats along with chocolate, dark malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is rich and malty with strong roasted flavors of coffee, chocolate and oats. There’s pale hops presence that gets stronger as the beer warms and creates some balance. There’s a little bit of a weird bite in the finish that seems to be from the oatmeal. The after-taste is sweet, smoky and bready.

M: Very smooth with a little crispness, medium-to-heavy body, light-to-medium carbonation, sticky finish.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, slightly filling, good representation of style, nice kick, it’s a good beer to relax with and one that I could drink a few of, but I don’t really see much that makes it stand out from the seemingly endless array of big stouts on the market. Nonetheless, it’s still a fine beer.

TheManiacalOne, Sep 16, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

Bottle. (from trade with the_epeeist.) Black, and nothing but black, pour, under a nice brown head. Heavily roasted aroma with lots of coffee, bitter chocolate and hops. It also smells a bit dusty. Just wonderful. Coffee is very much present in the flavor as well, with chocolate, smoke-notes, alcohol, roasted malt and some vanilla. Warming, full-bodied beer, quite oily texture, with a dry, chocolate-bitter finish. What a treat! The aroma is something you can enjoy forever, I can still "imagine" it, more than a month after I had the beer. The flavor is a bit weaker, but definately not weak. Just lovely. (070719)

yngvar, Sep 13, 2007