Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -4%

My wife's observation: "So what's the latest motor oil you're drinking?" That describes the look pretty well. Black as night, the head was about a finger, hung around for a while, but didn't leave any lacing for me.
Aroma really pops with the coffee. Good coffee too, not something that's been burning on the hot plate of your mechanic's all day.
Pretty straight forward flavor too. More coffee, a bit of burnt malt. Searching for something else, but not coming up with anything. Only the slightest bit of alcoholic warmth at the back of my throat, which is a good thing.
Unfortunately, the burnt flavor is what lingers to me, with that little alcohol burn too. I personally couldn't drink more than one of these at a time, that coffee is really almost overwhelming. I'd go with the Founders Breakfast Stout myself.

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from the bottle into my Terrapin 7th Anniversary pint glass.

A- Pours black with half a centimeter of deep mocha heard that dissipated relatively quickly leaving a nice skin of lacy head across the surface.

S- Great aroma full of roasted coffee, some bitter chocolate, and semi-sweet vanilla coming through.

T- The first flavor I get is the vanilla on the front of my palate, which quickly gives way to coffee. What I really like about this one is the smoothness of the coffee flavor; it's not so bitter as dominate completely, but it asserts itself enough to remind you that you're drinking a coffee stout (I am sure this has something to do with the quality of Jittery Joe's coffee as I have noticed this in other beers made with reputable coffee beans/sources.) In the finish, I get a nice nutty flavor, which I often find in oatmeal based stouts (either my palate confuses the two or they taste quite similar to me.)

M- Nice amount of carbonation followed by a great creamy mouthfeel.

D- Truly one of my favorite breakfast stouts. I will admit that I have a certain amount of nostalgia when it comes to this phenomenal beer, but I tried not to let it have an effect on my review. No booziness at all (granted it is on the low end for an "American Double/Imperial Stout." This is up there with Founders BS as one of my favorites.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into an imperial pint glass. Beer is dark and thick looking and forms a thick brown head that falls away leaving very little lacing on the glass. Beer is completely opaque and black.

Strong coffee roast aroma with a nice sweetness and an almost chocolate like aroma at the end, slight vanilla.

Thick and like silk. This beer is sweet and finishes nicely. There is a late, really late, coffee flavor. Seriously its like silk. Lots of sweetness up front. Drinkability is high and mouthfeel is high. Completely full bodied. Yeah, this is a phenomenal beer.

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Pure black body with a dark brown gray head. Great retention and lace.
Sweet coffee chocolate scent. Utterly delicious.
Strong malty coffee flavor. Great hoppy aftertaste.
Thick stout feel. Good coating and dry finish.
Great drinkability. Cheers!

-Oelergud

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Obtained in trade from Imperialhopper83 (thanks!). Vintage "09AA" printed on the side. Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Thick, dense, creamy raw umber head recedes slowly to a milky finger covering a lightless, very nearly black abyss of liquid. Very fine, slow moving, full coverage of lacing with a light varnish of legs surrounding.

Fresh whole roast coffee beans, roast barley, toasted cocoa, light cookie dough, and grain aromatics.

Intense waves of flavor - black malt, burnt toast, bitter chocolate, Irish breakfast tea, espresso-dipped oatmeal cookies, faint molasses, chicory, and pancake batter. Exceptionally balanced, with a lingering roasty dry finish.

Heavy-weight body, an impressive thickness for the ABV - but smooth and velvety rather than oily. Moderate carbonation and a light astringency and warmth.

I'll be sad when I run out of these - though the emphasis here is a little less on the coffee than it is on balance with the oats, this beer is easily the peer of Founders Breakfast Stout, Short's Cup A Joe, or Péché Mortel!

*Edit* - revisiting the 2010 vintage on 3/4/2011 - my tastes have changed a bit, and there is some batch variation going on, as this beer seems sweeter than I remember it, and the appearance (no head retention) and mouthfeel (insufficient carbonation) are not quite as good; on the other hand the aroma is a little better - I'm revising my score a bit to account for this.

A-Wow, what a great beer, dense ink black color, artfully leaves a delicious lace of tasty foam that slowly dissapears.
S- There's some outmeal going on, as well as chocolate, but this is coffee all the way, outstanding.
T- Like a coffee explotion in your mouth , a little on the bitter side but delicious, also some chocolate and outmeal again.
M- Well done here, perfect carbonation , great combinations to enjoy.
D- What a treat, tremendous beer, I'm going to set this one in my top 3 favs. Go for it!

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

From mikey711, appreciated!!!!

A- Amazing pour. Brown, damn near black, and oatmeal-cookie like head, settles to a dense 2 fingers and laces immediately. Very good pour.

S- Coffee milk. A RI specialty (and the official state drink of Rhode Island), coffee syrup and milk. This stuff is spot-on. I love it already.

T- Roasty malts, deep, dark coffee, sweet cream. A doughy, bready chaser. Rich, full, boisterous but in all the right places.

M- Great, prickly on the tongue, healthy carbonation seals the deal for this one. No off-flavors and a heapin' helping of flavors that are on point. Not nearly as weighed down as most Imp. Stouts, not too thick or syrupy.

D- The most enjoyable stout I've ever had. 'Nuff said. My mind has been blown, I haven't had a beer I enjoyed this much in a while.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter glass.

Appearance is a thick opaque black with a fluffy light brown head that slowly dissipates leaving a nice cap.

Smell is definitely filled with coffee! There are also aroma of roasted malts and some dark chocolate as well.

Taste is identical to the smell. A nice roasted coffee flavor like a fresh cup of roasted goodness and with a bit of sweetness in the end. Roasted malts are there and a small hint of bitterness near the end. The alcohol seems to be nicely hidden only making itself noticed slightly as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and very smooth! Quite rich and very pleasant on the tongue.

Drinakbility is Fantastic! A very nice flavor that goes down nice, easy and smooth. This is one of the better coffee stouts I've had and look forward to having many times again. Even with the abv it would be a very nice session brew to me. If you like your coffee, this is definitely a beer for you.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- black, very dense tight mocha head, dissipates with no lacing

S- big roasted malts, dark chocolate and cold stale coffee

T- I love my coffee, and everything that tastes like coffee. this is a definite winner. big black coffee taste. a little sweet at first which balances out the bitter dark chocolate tastes in it. leaves a lingering bitterness on the tongue.

M- very smooth. not watery, and not too dense. very good.

D- for it being a stout, I could drink these things all day. the oatmeal really balances this out. and the 8.1% isnt visible at all.

I love dark coffee. I await the arrival of these things every year, theyre so good. I wish more breweries made "breakfast" stouts like this that distribute to my area.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

09 Vintage 12oz bottle

A- pours pitch black. a vigorous pour produced a huge amount of head. I had to stop pouring so it wouldn't pour over the top. fairly heavy lacing.

S- huge roasted character dominates the nose. sweet malts and the oats come through and smell like freshly cooked oatmeal. maybe a little cocoa in the backround

T- pure espresso goodness. a perfect amount of chocolate and roasted flavors mix together in a way that put starbucks to shame. it's super creamy too. maybe due to the oats? despite the large amount of coffee used this beer doesn't have the bitterness or most coffee stouts. it stays on the sweet side which really adds to the beer.

M/D- super thick and creamy. surprisingly so considering its only 8.1%. it's not nearly as carbonated as I thought it would be after the huge head it produced. it stays silky and helps it go down smoother.

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Thanks to Beerisheaven for this one. Having it with dinner as we speak. Love the color to it inky black and the head just reminds me of chocolate. Smells amazing til the end. I catch chocolate toffee, malt, and lastly strong coffee. This started off as an amazing beer to me just wonderful flavors for an oatmeal stout chocolatey and creamy and then all I can taste is strong coffee after taste (yuck). This heavy after taste somewhat ruins the beer for me, but a lovely brew if you like coffee. Creamy, velvety, with a hint of chewiness to the feel in my mouth. Each sip makes me think how nice the beer would be if i enjoyed coffee or if it didn't have such a strong coffee finish. I would certainly have it again, but only on great occasions. Overall a great beer just not to my particular likings.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

On tap at the Taco Mac

Came in a large 20oz pour very black with a tan thin head barely covering the top. It dissapated quickly to nothing.

Scents of coffee and roasted malt along with something I couldn't really place, kind of bitter? The taste was heavily of coffee and chocolate at the finish.

It had a very silky smooth mouthfeel slightly bitter due to coffee I'd guess. This one is very strong both in taste and in ABV only one in an evening but you need to savor this one and not chug it down.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

G - Poured slightly too hard into my Tripel Karmeliet goblet. The head took about five minutes to get settled down.

A - Amazing. Blacker than my soul (not the first time its been said) and with a tremendously big head and plastered lacing everywhere. Ridiculous retention. Pour carefully, as the head takes longer than usual to rise, and a hard pour may cause an unexpected over-foam.

S - Phenomenal smell of coffee. Just fresh roasted coffee. Not so complex, but certainly pleasant.

T - Carries on where the smell started. An exceptionally well-blended marriage of the flavors; this is good 'ol USA diner-style coffee with two sugars, no cream. Very pleasant, wonderful finish and aftertaste.

M - A tad thin, but very nice all the same. It has a nice, non-dry (wet?) texture.

D - This is a great idea for the morning drive to work, in place of your Starbucks. All kidding aside, it's highly enjoyable.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

The color of this beer is a deep coffee black with a stained wood colored head, just very brown foam. The smell is what else but a bunch of coffee. The coffee smells spicy and medium bodied with a lot of sweetness. Also the oats add a kind of light breaded scent.

Glug glug glug

Big and acidic coffee flavors, but a very real coffee flavor as well. Seems to represent the aspects of both dark and bold coffees to lighter and sweet blends. Very tasty.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

This poured a nearly opaque dark mahogany with a little dark tan head. It smelled like fresh roasted coffee with some toasted oats and rich dark chocolate. It tasted like roasted coffee with some bitter chocolate and burnt oats, and a bit of pumpernickel bread. It was fairly thick with a little carbonation, and had a bitter aftertaste. Overall this was a very nice coffee stout with excellent scent and body. It was fairly simple but very clean and tasty. It hid the alcohol well too, so it was very easy to drink. I'd love to try this side by side with Brunch Weasel, because I think it's nearly as good. Top notch coffee flavor that isn't too harsh, and I could enjoy drinking rather regularly.

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured into a fat tire tulip glas. No head to speak of, thin whisps on the surface of the black as night beer. Absolutely no light gets through this oily viscous stout.

Aromas of coffee, chocolate and toffee. And alcohol. Smells like my wife's favorite chocolate martini.

First taste is more subdued and more roasty than the aromas. Much more roast flavor, the coffee and chocolate don't come out as much. Some chocolate in the back, at the end of the sip.

Mouthfeel is not as oily and viscous as the pour. Medium to full mouthfeel. Alcohol is evident, but not biting.

Overall drinkability is good. Would go back again, but not sure I could/would want to drink more than one in a sitting.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

This was the 2008 vintage, wish I had a fresh one to compare it to.

The appearance is thick, black, and produces a one finger cocoa head. The head stays for a while, produces no lacing.

The smell is very faint, but coffee is a very strong smell. There are also hints of bitter chocolate and burnt grains.

The tastes are good, but would of been so much better fresh. There are hints of chocolate and toffee, but lots and lots of coffee. Lots of oatmeal and grain flavor as well, delicious.

The mouthfeel is still perfectly carbonated for being this old, and is heavy on the palate. There was a bit of oxidation, but it did not hurt anything.

Very drinkable and very tasty, wish I could have a fresh bottle.

J

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Nov 26, 2010
FRESH 2010 vintage. The highest-quality beans I've encountered in any coffee-infused stout. Unbelievably good. The aroma is out of this world and flavor follows suit. Straight up gourmet chocolate-covered coffee beans in liquid form. Drink this fresh! I've had the past 5 vintages both fresh and aged up to 3 years and this is one that loses a fair bit with age. When fresh, quite possibly the best coffee beer I've ever had (compared to Founders Breakfast Stout, Peche Mortel, Hitachino Espresso Stout, Great Divide Espresso Yeti, Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast, etc...)

Dec 14, 2009
2009 bottle. Best batch of this I've had so far. Pours thick black with a two finger brown head. Aroma is big-time gourmet coffee beans, chocolate, and some roasted malt. Flavor is like chocolate-covered coffee beans, some roasted malt, and oatmeal smoothness. Low to medium carbonation. Rich, velvety mouthfeel (thanks to the oats). An underrated beer, IMO.

Aug 31, 2007
2006 bottle. Pours a thick black with a small tan head that forms after the glass is set down. Quickly to a small ring that leaves some spotty lacing. Big powerful aroma and flavor of coffee and dark chocolate. Roasted. The oatmeal works in very well. As I get to the bottom of the glass, I start to get more dark fruits coming through in the aroma. The intensity of the aroma and flavor is turned up a notch on this one...you taste it long after you sip it. There is some alcohol but it fits in nicely. Very rich, smooth, and creamy...delicious and extremely enjoyable. Not a session beer by any means, this is a heavy brew but fits the style very well. Gonna hafta get s'more of this...

Nov, 2007 EDIT: As I whittle down my stock of the '06 batch, I just want to note that this is pouring with virtually no head and very low carbonation which is in contrast with many reviews here. Perhaps it is the '06 vintage? I dunno. If it was very carbonated I wouldn't rate it as high as I prefer my stouts to be thick, rich and low in carbonation and what I have here fits the bill perfectly. I'd put this right up there with the Great Divide Yeti and Victory Storm King stouts available here in my area. A wonderful brew and I'm looking forward to this winter's batch.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Pours a beautiful oil-colored black with a full brown head on top that keeps its retention on the glass with each sip

S - Dark chocolate, dark coffee, hops, caramel, one of the best selling beers I have come across

T - The taste of coffee isn't too overwhelming, but it is noticable. The malts and caramel linger after each sip. The dark chocolate on the tongue is perfect.

M - Smooth taste, no biting taste of alcohol. The coffee aftertaste makes me forget I'm drinking a stout and not a cup of Wake & Bake coffee.

D - This beer is wonderful. Perfect for an after-dinner drink. While the rest of the family enjoys a cup of joe, I think I'll grab one of these.

Good job, Terrapin. Another fine product

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Deep dark brown with a slight reddish hue, thin espresso colored head.

S: Coffee and bitter chocolate dominate the nose followed by hints of roasted malt and alcohol.

T: Dark coffee and some roasted malt bitterness, dark chocolate and some carmel also come through, slight sweetness complements the coffee perfectly. Coffee flavor is not overwhelming.

M: Thick mouthfeel, smooth and creamy and nicely undercarbonated, slightly sweet and slick, alcohol warms the stomach.

D: One of the best coffee stouts I have had, you dont need to like coffee to love this beer. A smooth and creamy stout that can be sipped all night long.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a goblet. Pours a rich, velvet black, though not the dark, motor oil black you see in stone or founders IS.

Slight brown head that dissolves relatively quickly. Smell of coffee and bitter chocolate in the head, but relatively subtle.

Taste is great, as the coffee immediately hits you, and then fades to give way to the hops as you finish each sip. No real sense of alcohol for me. An amazing velvety mouthfeel, almost unlike i've had in an imperial stout before.

This, in turn, makes it very easy to drink, especially for a beer with such a relatively high abv. Reminds me a lot of the founders breakfast stout, just a little less complex and a little easier to drink. My favorite terrapin beer so far.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

A: I had to suck that head as if my life depended on it. Pour went fine til halfway in when I pour straight down and the head was coming with a vengance! Frothy, fluffy cocoa head. Black as night.

S: Very chocolatey in the nose. Smells like homemade fudge with the coffee in the backend. I can detect a hint of the oatmeal as well.

T: Coffee takes the forefront. Reminds me a lot of Old Raspy except not near as bitter from the coffee or the hops. A very clean tasting stout. I really don't get the oatmeal in it.

M: Very thick and syrupy. Carbonation doesn't kick in til you start to swallow.

D: One of the easier to drink RIS in my opinion. RIS taste without the RIS abv.

I am surprised by the 8.1% abv. When I think of RIS I always think of no less than 9.5% But it sure does pack that RIS taste. Terrapin did a really good job on this. I may have to revisit the Rye Squared and Rye Pale Ale now.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

a: this brew pours an oily mud-brown-black with head so tan its almost purple, quickly fading to leave only the slightest of rings around the glass...

s: the smell is brilliant in its freshness; strong morning coffee grounds all the way, with sweet malts and a faint bit of oats trying to fight for some attention in the background.

S-Fresh ground coffee dominates the nose. Dark chocolate and hint of alcohol are also noted. It has a nice roasted character in the nose.

s: potent coffee is in the forefront of the taste, and though this is a bottled product i am almost fooled into thinking that some freshly ground and brewed coffee beans are somehow involved in the equation here. dry, bitter chocolate is detectable and creamy malts are also there...making this a stout lover orgy of elements.

m: a wonderful mouthful of incredibly rich smoothness....i want to take a bath in this stuff!

d: this is about as close to perfection as i've encountered so far on my thus far short beer journey. i need to do two things: 1, buy stock in Terrapin; 2, buy more of this fantastic brew!

salud!

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

A-Pours like motor oil. Its pitch black and thick with a small mocha colored head that dissipates quickly leaving a ring of foam.

T-Once again coffee stands out, but there seems to be a lot going on with flavors of dark chocolate, heavy cream, sugar, toffee, and a some hops in the finish. When it warms the coffee flavor fades and the most delicious milk chocolate flavor comes to the forefront. Simply delicious.

M-Thick, rich, and creamy; truly remarkable mouthfell. It is extremely silky and smooth.

D-Very drinkable imperial stout. I only purchased a single but could definitely drink a couple in a sitting.

Overall, this beer is remarkable. I had almost swore off coffee beers, but wake and bake has made me reconsider. It is very complex and tastes like fresh ground coffee which is very refreshing. The milk chocolate that dominates in the end is so creamy its almost like a desert. I highly recommend this beer.

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very dark and black in color but I did not get much head formation. Maybe the beer was too cold. Just a thin ring of bubbles after a minute or two. Just a little spotty lacing is left on the glass. After letting it sit and open up a bit, the chocolate and coffee aromas really come out. Smells like a nice mocha. I was not as impressed with the flavor. The coffee flavor seems a bit off to me. Does not give a dark roasted flavor but a sweet flavor. The chocolate is still present but more subdued than in the aroma. The body is not as big as I would like but matched with the carbonation gives a pleasing texture. A stout that is worth seeking out.

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin Beer Company