Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,245 | Hads: 3,673

The most fragrant, flavorful, and delicious stout around. Most of these reviews encompass what I would say about the beer's profile so I won't be redundant.

2010 seasonal.

A: Dense, dark black. Viscous, oily looking pour with a dark tan head.

S: The only thing I am picking up is coffee beans. Glorious coffee beans. It reminds me of when I was a kid in the supermarket and my mom would let me grind the coffee with the machine. It was partially for the fun of being in control of the grinder, but mostly because of the awesome smell. I love beers that make you nostalgic for various times in your life.

T: Chock full of coffee notes, some bittersweet chocolate, dark chocolate cake, a good rounded hop bitterness and fruity notes from the yeast.

M: Oily and full bodied.

D: Wow! I am so glad that I traded for this beer. I thought Peche Mortel is the epitome of coffee stouts, but this one now takes the crown.

Until now, I've only had one other beer that I dream about when I sleep which was Bells Hopslam on draft/cask...this is #2.

A: Dark as night with a perfect 1" brown head. You can tell this is a viscous substance as it cascades slowly into the glass like motor oil.

S: Espresso, chocolate, slight nuttyness with some hoppy undertones that you know will tickle the palate.

T: I feel like I will have flash backs to this moment for the rest of my life. It hits the tongue and magical whirlwind of flavors appear. I love how the coffee and chocolate layer your tongue and give you a tremendous flavoring of deliciousness then it clears up with a perfectly balanced hop presence that's not overwhelming but just perfect so it's noticeable.

M: Thick, perfect, layers upon layers of almost chewy perfectness.

O: My favorite winter drinker...EVER

A: Silk black color with small brown head.

S: Smells heavy of roasted coffee and milk chocolates. Very sweet smelling.

T: Bitter coffee with a little heat upfront. Smooths out to a semi sweet chocolate flavor then ends with some milk chocolate notes, a sweet cookies baking in the oven. This is a really intense beer! Pairs very well with other sweets.

M: Very silky mouthfeel. Spreads all over the mouth.

O: This is an amazing beer! The name says it all.

A-Wow, what a great beer, dense ink black color, artfully leaves a delicious lace of tasty foam that slowly dissapears.
S- There's some outmeal going on, as well as chocolate, but this is coffee all the way, outstanding.
T- Like a coffee explotion in your mouth , a little on the bitter side but delicious, also some chocolate and outmeal again.
M- Well done here, perfect carbonation , great combinations to enjoy.
D- What a treat, tremendous beer, I'm going to set this one in my top 3 favs. Go for it!

4.98/5  rDev +17.2%

I had to special order this from my local distributor about a month ago. I forgot i ordered and have not heard back from them. went in last week to grab a 1/6 barrel and seen the case sitting behind the counter. I asked if that was a special order and they said yes. I gave them my name and whooo hooo Wake n Bake time!.

A. overall this beer looks perfect. dark as can be and a nice mocha head that does stick around for a few.
S. Perfect! smells like it RIS with a bit more Joe added. again it does not get much better when you look outside and see snow comming down,
T. nothing better. well FBS and Old Rasputin are the first to come to mind, Wake n Bake just seems a bit smoother and perfectly carbinated. TO tell the truth this years batch of FBS was much better than last year. Last year FBS was way to carbinated (but that is a different review)..
M. again this is just perfect, coats and coats and coats. your tougue has a nice oily feel after ever sip.
O. like i first mentioned this is a beer i order every year and is one of my all time favs as it comes to stouts. IF you see a bottle of this you should get excited and grab as many as you can. I still have 2 bottles from last year and they stand up really nice to conditioning hide a few away fora summer evening treat.

4.97/5  rDev +16.9%

pours motor oil black with a 1/2 finger dark tan head that left some spotted lacing

smells of strong coffee and a little chocolate/vanilla

taste - WOW can i give this beer a 6 - by far the best coffee stout i have ever had - sorry founders sorry peche mortel -dark roasted coffee not too bitter and not too sweet - i dont know what makes this soo good maybe its the mix of coffee with oatmeal but WOW

mouthfeel is a thick full body stout just like the best are with good carbonation very smooth and creamy

drinkability even though there is no way i could drink another right after finishing this one how could i not give this a 5 - this is one of those moments that you are glad you took the plunge into craft beer

4.97/5  rDev +16.9%

a: this brew pours an oily mud-brown-black with head so tan its almost purple, quickly fading to leave only the slightest of rings around the glass...

s: the smell is brilliant in its freshness; strong morning coffee grounds all the way, with sweet malts and a faint bit of oats trying to fight for some attention in the background.

S-Fresh ground coffee dominates the nose. Dark chocolate and hint of alcohol are also noted. It has a nice roasted character in the nose.

s: potent coffee is in the forefront of the taste, and though this is a bottled product i am almost fooled into thinking that some freshly ground and brewed coffee beans are somehow involved in the equation here. dry, bitter chocolate is detectable and creamy malts are also there...making this a stout lover orgy of elements.

m: a wonderful mouthful of incredibly rich smoothness....i want to take a bath in this stuff!

d: this is about as close to perfection as i've encountered so far on my thus far short beer journey. i need to do two things: 1, buy stock in Terrapin; 2, buy more of this fantastic brew!

4.97/5  rDev +16.9%

Very excited to taste and post a review of one of the best know coffee stouts in America. Many thanks to bullet bill for this rare opportunity

A- a massive black hole of java Joe engulfs my glass with an espresso creamy head of foam lingering and adding to the look. An immediate parallel connects to an iced mocha coffee. Nice.

S- an apocalypse of black coffee beans ripping through with some slight cream/sugar participating in this coffee experience. Heavy duty black coffee theme with some brown sugar and toasty malt. As simple as this... Most black coffee scent I have ever come across

T- ridiculously analogous to an iced coffee with all the flavor you would want. Sweet mocha flavor mingles with the coffee beans to put forth a wicked coffee stout. The best coffee stout I have ever had

M- creamy and coating with flavor. Nor to mention the carbonation keeps the integrity of the stout intact! Amazing!!!

O- best ever. There are a ton of great brews on the market that exhibit the properties of a cup of coffee. Terrapin went out and slayed the precedent with their own offering. Other breweries take warning.... This is where the bar is set when it comes to a great coffee beer

4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into Newport Storm snifter. Thanks to BeerBuddy2122 for this one.

A - Black coffee dark with a finger of mocha head. Beautiful looking beer.

S - Coffee, chocolate, oats, and dark malt. Really, this one is mostly coffee. Smells like a french press.

T - Incredible. Lots of coffee in this one. It doesn't just taste coffee flavored, this tastes like freshly brewed coffee. After the coffee there are notes of chocolate and booziness, but this one is all about the coffee.

M - Thick and oily. Not as creamy or heavy as I was expecting but nothing to complain about.

Wow! This one is going to become a new favorite. This is one of the best stouts I've had and every bit as good as Breakfast Stout (though quite different). This one excels among a lot of strong competition.

4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from bottle into tulip glass

A- Body is totally opaque. No light penetration whatsoever. Black as motor oil with a frothy khaki-colored one-finger head.

S- Stong notes of dark coffee. Even moreso than the Founders Breakfast Stout. Roasted malts and a slight chocolate presence in there as well.

T- Coffee, coffee, and more coffee. Again, its more coffee-centric than the Founders Breakfast Stout. Roasted malts follow the coffee. Not getting much chocolate at all though. This stuff is simply wonderful! God bless Jittery Joe!

M- Has a closer to medium than heavy mouthfeel. Kind of surprising for an imperial oatmeal stout.

O- I am totally impressed by this beer. This is a killer stout and is right up there with the Founder's Breakfast Stout. The FBS has a better mouthfeel, but I actually think this stuff tastes even better. Either way, its a standout by any measure.

4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

I'm pretty sure this is my new favorite beer. Best coffee stout out there in my opinion, hands down.

A: Poured from bottle into Tiffany crystal beer mug. Black. Very very black. Thin tan head that quickly dissipates.

S: Coffee and hints of sweet chocolate. More coffee. Smells awesome. I can't keep my nose out of the glass. As good as it smells, I wish there were even a little MORE coffee aroma to it...and it's already pretty strong smelling of coffee.

T: DEAR GOD....it's awesome. Smooth, rich, blended coffee mixed with roasty malts and mild, sweet chocolate. I can't stop sipping it. I could probably chug it if I would let myself. Don't get much of the alcohol at all....but just enough to make it noticeable. Becomes a little sweeter with even more detectable coffee as it warms up.

M: Not too thick, not too thin. Just about right. If anything, I wish it were just a little bit thicker even. Not much carbonation.

D: Pretty good....I think I could probably do about 2 of these. I'd let myself do more but after 2 I think the alcohol content at 8.1 would probably start to numb my senses to the point that I wouldn't appreciate this beer as much and it is absolutely one that I want to appreciate and enjoy with every sip.

Overall an AWESOME beer and one that I can see myself enjoying for a long time to come! Side note: I also drank one aged over 1 yr on 12/26/11 and the coffee was still VERY present and highly enjoyable.

4.94/5  rDev +16.2%

I feel compelled to review this beer now that the new batch is out. It's seriously the best coffee stout out there, it hands down kills founder's breakfast stout. I tried the fresh one side by side with a one year aged version, and although the coffee had mostly died (completely gone in the nose), an amazingly rich dark chocolate flavor had taken the front seat. Somehow it's even better than the fresh one if only by a small margin. With two glasses side by side, I kept going for the aged one.

A - Nothing extraodinary here, but the beer pours with a good head. Once the head dissipates, it looks a little bit oily.

S - Nothing short of perfect here. I can't describe in words how the coffee smell here is more refined, less acidic, more subdued, and just damned smooth smelling. The smell wafts up during the pour it's so strong.

T - Again, I can't imagine it tasting better. Even the foam is perfect. It's not too sweet, it's definitely not bitter -- somehow they've found a way to get a perfect balance.

M - Maybe the most important aspect of a beer for me. At 8.1% you might expect this to be a little bit thin, but the mouthfeel is as full and creamy as anything out there. Once again exactly what I want in a coffee beer.

O - It's hard to find fault in this beer. For this style, I cannot think of a beer I would rather have. I thought there were a few, so I tried them all side by side (Coffee House Stout, Valdez, FBS). The only beer I still need to try side by side that might hold a candle is Victory @ Sea.

4.93/5  rDev +16%

Appearance: this heavy looking liquid pours in with a surprisingly small amount of head, but even its head comes off with a strong darkness. It looks amazing. 5\5

Aroma: Sweet black coffee, dark bakers chocolate, coco dust, and a distinct sweetness from the oatmeal is present. Its an amazing combination. 5\5

Taste: wow, the coffee in this one has absolutely no restraint! It just socks you with a huge coffee flavor, with a heavy mocha leaning. The beer also has a very sweet side, as its oatmeal helps add the illusion of a creamer to the coffee, making it taste that much better. A little hop bitterness on the end, but really, it just feels like the bitterness from coffee. Really, its a perfect tasting coffee brew. 5\5

mouthfeel: slick and heavy, but really, for this beers size its very well managed. What I hated about most other beers like this one is how heavy the sugars feel on the mouth, but this one pulls it off without a hitch. 4.75\5

Overall: Wow, this one was a good decission. Its not exactly a coffee beer you can have more than one of (highlands thunderstruck coffee porter takes that award), but as a heavy coffee desert beer...look no further. This would go VERY well with ice cream, cheese cake, or even just a plate of cookies! A beer I will gladly buy again when I drink the last one. 4.75\5

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

I really enjoyed this Stout. I had to save some for a friend of mine that was coming in to town just so he could experience it. My buddy in Caly had to take some home with him, he enjoyed it so much. I have to get me some more soon, I am drooling just thinking about it.

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

A-Pours pitch black...no light escapes. Medium head...that is caramel color. Head fades quickly.

S-Coffee...very strong coffee smell...maybe some chocolate as well but coffee is certainly to dominant aroma

T-Wow...I pick up the strong flavor of coffee backed up by the flavor of oatmeal. I detect some chocolate as well...perhaps dark.

M-Thinner than I would have expected...the Appearance would have led me to think this would have been much thicker...I characterize it as medium. Smooth mouthfeel...some creaminess.

D-High...it packs a punch and a delicious one at that. I could drink a few of these.

Notes: Before trying this beer...Founders Breakfast Stout was my king...now...their is a new beer on the throne for the "breakfast" style beer....terrapin's coffee oatmeal imperial stout.

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

Got 2 bottles of this this in a trade and I wish it was 2 cases!

Pours a deep dark black with a nice 1 finger foamy mocha colored head that recedes quickly to a nice ring.

The smell is amazing! FRESH FRESH ground coffee hits immediately. It smells like the best cup of coffee I have ever had. Then, there is a distinct mix of chocolate and oatmeal in the background. This is the only oatmeal stout I have had where I could actually pick out oatmeal in the nose.

The taste follows with tons of great roasted coffee notes, bitter sweet chocolate, and a kick of piney bitterness at the end.

The mouthfeel is smooth like velvet with moderate but just enough carbonation.

I don't want this to end. I can't resist cracking open my second bottle right now! This beats the pants of FBS...never thought I would say it.

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

Thanks are due to EgadBananas for providing this bottle. Poured into a pint glass. Pours black with a thin, dark tan head. The beer is completely opaque. The head dissipates quickly, leaving a wispy cap atop the beer. Coffee is very forward in the nose. There are also well pronounced aromas of dark roasted barley malt, chocolate, and oats. There's a mild sweetness in the smell and the ABV is well-hidden by all the aromas. The taste follows the nose. The coffee flavor is very forward in the taste. The coffee notes marry well with the dark roasted barley malts, oats, dark chocolate, and molasses. For an 8.1% ABV beer, I can't taste the alcohol at all until it starts to warm up. The flavors are well balanced. The body is medium to full with moderate carbonation. The beer is smooth and creamy. The drinkability is very high. Overall, this is an excellent beer. This coffee stout works well as a breakfast drink or as an afternoon beer.

4.89/5  rDev +15.1%

Big thanks to Mikesgroove for this brew packaged in my Black Booty Booty. Mike's beer knowledge far surpasses mine. More than 1 of the brews he sent, I was clueless about or didn't realize how great a brew it was. This is one of these. I'd wanted to try the "Wake-n-Bake" and didn't realize this is the one until I went to review the second bottle he sent me(this one). I've had other Terrapin brews and enjoy them just as much as this one. Again, Thanks a bunch, Mike.

12oz. brown bottle poured into a Tulip. Vintage '08 cleared marked.

A: Warning: Anyone about to review this beer, be advised that the head is a slow volcano. This is the second time I've had this and both times I had to suck the head up before it overflowed. Even an average pour will surprise you. With that being said: Pours a straight black with no visibility and a moderate viscosity. Like I said, the head erupts and remains tight but eventually dies to a thin skim. Patching lacks a bit.

S: Brilliant sweet and bitter coffee, borderline espresso. Just a hint of coffee and rolled oats. These flavors dominate and I wouldn't have it any other way.

T/M: Same as the nose. Delicious coffee and sweet and bitter chocolate. Just a touch of oatmeal in the back adds an amazing depth to everything. Hops level are moderate yet it adds a fresh crispness to everything. Body surprisingly isn't full out but has a nice smoothness to it that is quite rare. Actually might be just a tad thin, but certainly not too thin. Carbonation doesn't get in the way but will still rebuild a strong head with a healthy swirl in the tulip.

D: Very easy to drink. Very rare to find an imp/RIS stout that drinks this easy. I very much wish I could have this brew on hand at all times. Just as good as Founders Breakfast Stout, yet easy to come by(trade for me) and easy drinking.

4.89/5  rDev +15.1%

First off this is awesome..Pours a thick opaque black with a creamy head. No real thick lace, but this looks pretty good, but I had no idea what I was in store for. Smell was a french vanilla cappucino. No other really good way to describe it. Insane. Huge vanilla and coffee aromas. The taste was dare I say perfect for the style. I could not have asked for this to taste any better. Huge coffee and vanilla flavors again, with a hint of chocolate. Incredibly good and worth its reputation. This is a seriously good brew. I plan on stocking as much as possible and nver ever running out!!

4.89/5  rDev +15.1%

appearance: Motor oil black with a caramel shining light around the rim, that's after a two finger thick foamy mocha brown head settled down, fully lasting leaving a trail of sticky lace from top to bottom of glass.

smell: WOW! My kind of brew. Intense Cuban espresso coffee mixed well with molasses upfront. As the scent faded, some soy sauce, dried dates and slighty burnt cookies come through, ending with that robust espresso coffee and a hint of alcohol.

taste and mouthfeel: full body, syrupy, huge coffee flavor upfront, it's smooths out quicky leaving a silky feel. The coffee is so intense that nothing else shines through. However, this long bitter dark chocolate aftertaste comes through that sticks for a while, leaving you longing for more.

drinkability: Bring it on. I could drink this brew all night. Love it from start to finish.

Overall, this brew ROCKS!! I personally love coffee stouts and Terrapin is right on with this one. I paired it with a homemade roasted vegetable lasagna. Enjoy.

4.89/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a bottle into my DT goblet...

a: Pours jet black with traces of a dark/brown head that quickly fades...
s: Delicious, fresh, roasted coffee, and chocolate.
t: This one doesn't disappoint. Extremely smooth with a rich coffee flavor and fudgy chocolate finish surrounded by oatmeal cookies.
m: thick and smooth, coats the tongue.
d: I rate this one high for coffee fanatics like myself. Goes down easy and leaves your taste buds satisfied. This one lived up to the hype for me.

4.89/5  rDev +15.1%

I got the 2007 edition of this beer in the Bday '07 BIF from mikesgroove. I could smell this beer as I was pouring it into the pint glass. The rich coffee and chocolate aromas are amazingly potent and they draw me in. The taste is even better that the smell. As soon as the beer hits my lips I can immediately taste coffee just like the beer has been mixed with fresh brewed coffee. There is also a strong dark chocolate flavor that nearly equals the coffee flavor and a great roasted note. Almost as if they planned this in advance (wink wink), the smoothness of the oatmeal ties the strong flavors together and creates an amazing beer. The drinkability on this is awesome. I'm heading to Georgia soon and I'll be damn sure to bring several cases back with me.

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Enjoyed this with a friend two weekends before finals in Oxford Ohio, got it from a trade.

This was the wake and bake series and poured motor oil black into a tulip glass. The smell was a bit off from what I expected, (which might have been due to a colder than usual refrigerator) but the taste was more than compensatory. Strong espresso, a hint of oaky musk and slightly boozy finish. Rich mouth feel that coats the tongue and cheeks. I heard this doesn't age as well as I would have thought, but I wish I had another to see for myself. Overall great beer.

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Thanks to G311, dashirey and readbaron for all sending me this perpetual want. 2008 vintage 12 oz bottle pours a very dark black color and part of what makes this beer so cool is the blending of beer and dark brown foam as it pours, almost nitro-esque as it finally separates into distinct parts. Impressive.

Nose is easy: chocolate oatmeal cookies with a hefty amount of freshly ground coffee beans. Enough sweetness for the roast and just has that fresh cookie smell that few other beers can rival.

Taste is so silky smooth it goes down like velvet. Rich and supple chocolate...decadent even, and it blends well with the roasty coffee and almost a maple syrup 'fruitiness' if that makes any sense. I love this beer and wish it was available to me all the time. ABV is insanely well hidden and the beer still drinks fantastically at room temperature. This could possibly be my go-to imperial stout, along with an aged Abyss perhaps. Thank you Terrapin for this amazing beverage!

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Terrapin Beer Company