Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,229 | Hads: 3,616
3.85/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2014 vintage. Pours used motor oil black. Very good head volume, excellent retention and lacing. Rich nose of coffee (most pronounced) and semisweet dark chocolate (background). Minor notes of roast and dark fruit (prunes). As it warms, alcohol and prunes are quite noticeable. Medium bodied with a smooth texture - and it has to be nearly room temperature to achieve this. Normal carbonation with a bit of effervescence in the finish. The flavor profile is reasonably intense, reasonably balanced, but lacks the complexity of World Class stouts. It begins with a blend of coffee, dark chocolate and alcohol flavors that slowly separate over a slight sweetness. In the middle, prunes and alcohol dominate over slight notes of roast and bitterness. These fade out slowly as the finish. Very good, at best. (818 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Many thanks to NCBeerFan for hitting a huge want!
2011 Bottling

A - Black and thick as hell. So black it caught me off guard. For a moment, I wondered what I had gotten myself into; I've never had a coffee oatmeal stout that looked this ballsy and menacing. An aggressive pour creates some cascading eye-candy that turns into an impressive mocha colored head. Fair retention.

S - Lots going on in the aroma, but manages to have a nice balance. Though fresh roasted coffee is in the lead, lots of honey, chocolate, cocoa, hazelnut and a touch of vanilla. Whomever Jittery Joe is, you make some good coffee, dude.

T - Bitter coffee grounds, a touch of fresh roast, a small dose of honey, caramel and heaps of dark chocolate. The coffee bitter starts right away and rides all the way into the finish. I'm a little surprised at the lack of sweetness - other than the honey I'm picking up and the semisweet chocolate, this is mainly bitter and roasty. The oatmeal is palpable, adds a hearty bready & nutty flavor. It's mild, but it's tasty.

M - Rich, chewy, decadent. I can only assume the oatmeal is doing wonders here to bolster that mouthfeel. If anything, the carbonation is a little too high for the style, but I'm being picky.

O - Though the taste didn't really come through for me as much as appearance and aroma, I enjoyed this. If you're a coffee fan, this is all you. I also quite enjoyed the oatmeal character - really pumps up the mouthfeel and adds a another element to the taste, which desperately needed something to play against the coffee. Mission accomplished, oatmeal. (1,590 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Cheers from Ddarden for this one!

2007 version opens with a resounding whoosh & tons of foam resulting in 6+ fingers of brown.mocha head collasping into mahogony/blackness. Head continues to erupt, need a 1 liter stein to contain this! Every time I tipe my .5 liter mug I hear the head fizzle & erupt, resulting in zero head retention & lacing

S: Coffee & iron

T: Coffee in your face, iron & baker's choclate up front. More coffee in the middle & some raisin notes. Finishes dry, with tons of coffee grinds, & some coccoa, plus a little warming booze at the end. Too much coffee grinds to rank higher

MF: Medium-bodied & some grainyness, plus a little richness/creamyness at the finish

Drank okay, but could't get past the volcanic eruption that continued throughout the bottle, doesn't seem infected. Take away the annoyance of the geyser effect & it doesn't rate as good as last year's (906 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

No head poured aggressively into glass mug. Black with creamy cocoa ring. Nose is strong; oat, alcohol, chocolate, and maybe even a bit of dark fruits. Taste is: warming chocolate, dark coffee, alcohol, oatmeal aftertaste, sweet. Mouthfeel: Body is full, coats the tongue well, low carb allows the alcohol to come through. Overall, nice treat, would prefer it less-hot on the boozeyness. (387 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Big thanks to rbradley for this one. 2011 12oz vintage into a tulip.

A- Pours midnight black with a finger of dark mocha-colored head that fades to a few wisps. Leaves minimal lacing, but a thick brown film accompanied by some alcohol legs. Nice looking stout.

S- Smells like an iced coffee. Nice roasted coffee bean presence that mingles with smooth, sweet vanilla tones. Not picking up a ton of chocolate, but there is a bit of a powdery milk chocolate note in there.

T- Big coffee out of the gates. Roasted earthy notes mix with a bigger chocolate presence than the nose suggested. More of a semi-sweet type of chocolate. Tastes of vanilla and liquid brownie finish off the sip with a lingering bitterness.

M- Medium bodied, but feels like the carbonation is a bit high here which detracts from the feel. Makes it appear thinner than it really is.

O- I really like this brew, but I feel like I need more from the nose for it to be great in my opinion. Maybe the flavors were a bit more intense when really fresh? (1,022 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

A- Pours a dark black with a tan head. Bad pour on my part so not enough head to leave a decent lacing.
S- smells like a medium roast coffee with hint a chocolate coming though on the nose.
T- Coffee but its not over powering as you still get notes of the oatmeal stout underneath.
M- Medium bodied with a solid coating. light to medium carbonation.
O- A very good coffee stout. true to the sense on the coffee but it still lets you palate other notes from the beer. (466 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours a dark syrupy black color with a thin coco powder head. Looks like it could be a little thin. Smell is just what you would think it would be, oatmeal with a sweet chocolate thats balanced by some coffee tones. Pretty good, but a lot sweeter and more milky than I was expecting. It's almost like a sweet milk stout. Thin mouthfeel, but it helps it drink easy. A little different than I thought it would be, and surprised by the milky sweeteness. Enjoyable though. (468 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

A-Pours a very dark brown with a big two finger mocha head that hung around for a while and left some nice lacing. Looks really good.

S-You can certainly tell its a coffee stout from the nose. Huge coffee aroma with traces of malt.

T-Strong coffee flavor with a bit of chocolate and dark roasted malt.

M-A bit thin for the style with more of a harsh carb bite than I typically find in a stout. Overall, the mouthfeel is very, very average.

D-Its good, no doubt. But the strong coffee taste and nose makes one the limit for me. (530 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

A-nice black body with tan head that quickly disapates
S-okay coffee. Go figure with a name like this right?
T-little bfit of coffee, little bit of oatmeal, little bit of metal taste?
M-medium body and smooth
D-moderate drinkablility. The label makes it seem a lot better than this beer actually is. (299 characters)

Picked up a 4-pack at a Whole Foods for $9.99

Since I've been drinking a lot of Founder's Breakfast Stout lately comparisons to that for this beer will be inevitable. Overall, I enjoyed this beer especially at the cheaper price than BS, but I would still rather drink BS to this. Anyways...

A: It pours out of the bottle like a thick syrup and is a rich, dark, opaque black liquid with a very dark, dense, thick tan head. Unfortunately, head has little retention and quickly dissipates and leaves very little lacing.
S: Not as rich or strong as BS. Roasted coffee and malt aromas and an unexpected hint of some citrus flavors hiding in there. Alcohol is peeking through too.
T: The coffee and oatmeal flavors are both very bold and to a much lesser extent some dark chocolate. Not as complex or balanced as BS. Alcohol also makes an appearance in the finish along with a mild sweetness.
M: Very light carbonation and very smooth, silky taste. There is something weird going on for me as at first this feels very thick and robust but at same time I'm left with a watery sensation. Finish leaves an odd slightly bitter, coffee, dry aftertaste. I think the minimal carbonation is what is really throwing me off here.
D: I really wanted to like this more than I did. It's a very good beer, with plenty of bold flavors as the name suggests but overall there's just something missing for me. As a cheaper alternative to Founder's Breakfast Stout this is great, however, I would still just rather drink that. Definitely worth a try if you like coffee and certainly a unique beer itself. (1,583 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

Bottle poured into a HF tulip

A - Dark, almost black, brown with a light, mocha colored brown head.

S - Strong coffee presence over top of a caramel and oatmeal stout presence. Great and strong nose

T - Strong coffee with a nice caramel flavor. The finish is slightly vegetal and almost cigarette smokiness that lingers on in the finish.

MF - medium carbonation and body with a silky smooth body

O - Great smelling coffee beer. Originally, the beer has a great taste but the finish kind of puts it off for me. (514 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

Wow....coffee, coffee, and more coffee...I like this beer, but it the first time I had it I immediately wished I had a Krispy Kreme doughnut!!! Talk about a coffee stout!!! Almost makes me want to add cream and sugar to it! I have another three bottles waiting for another breakfast!! (284 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

Thanks to discovolante65 for bottle. 2008 Vintage. "Beer brewed with coffee." Comical label art.

Pours black into my American pint glass with a small tan head that quickly dissipates. Slight ruby at the fringes of the glass.

Smells like caramel infused coffee. Like a slightly weaker, sweeter FBS. Some roasty malt too.

Mouthfeel is a bit watery when you compare to say an FBS but the flavor is similar. Slight metallic notes blend with a large dose of coffee. The sweetness is there with all the malty goodness of a good malty stout. The alcohol is pretty well hidden, you get greater hints of it as you go.

I probably shouldn't have tried this after recently divulging into an FBS and I can't help but comparing the two but this one is definitely the lesser though a solid beer if you are lucky enough to get your hands on it. (832 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

poured into my bruery snifter
Pours a dark black with a big fluffy dark brown head with a hint red to it.
I am immediately hit in the face with the smell of coffee followed by a little burnt sugar, vanilla, toffee and more coffee.
SO MUCH COFFEE!!! flavors greatly mimic the nose, fantastic! Im loving the intensity this beer offers
the mouth feel is a little thin for an oatmeal stout but it does have that nice, traditional creamy finish.

overall this is a nice beer by Terrapin. I will definitely seek this beer out again... and again (539 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

Bottle into tulip. '09 vintage, served at just below room temp.

Pours viscous black, a bit oily, with a thin brown layer of bubbles. Nice stickage, though on a less than impressive head.

Nose is leafy hops, roast coffee beans (almost woody), hint of pretzel crust (?!), spicy sweetness underneath, almost like a dark mexican chocolate.

Taste is leafy and a bit raw up front - hops come off a bit coarse, turning the roasty, coffee notes kind of woody and barky, husky. Earthy bittersweet chocolate underneath never really allowed to shine. Was a bit disappointed in this, might blossom with some time in the cellar but as is, just too raw and green. Hops end up being way too dominant for my taste.

Mouthfeel is nice, slick, bit creamy, smooth. Highlight of the beer.

Drinkability is again hurt by the coarseness. Just too green at this stage of freshness for me. (873 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

I drank this from a 12oz bottle into an Orval glass.

The beer pours a dark black with a dark tan head. The head rises about 1 finger but is gone very quickly. Lacing is super light.

The aroma is super strong giving off a ton of very strong coffee on the front. The coffe is not bitter, pretty smooth with a light vanilla finish.

The taste is also tons of coffee, it really just dominates from start to finish. Its very bitter, not too much but close. Its a little simlistic, which is boring. If I loved coffee, maybe I'd feel different.

Feel is nice, lots of lasting flavor.

Overall, ok for a coffee beer but not my cup of tea. (633 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

12oz bottle (VINTAGE08AA) poured into a Portsmouth goblet. Received in a trade with BeerLovinGrl - thanks Chrissy!

A - Pours an oily black, totally opaque with a thin, fizzy, soda-like head that disappears immediately. A few straggling bubbles around the edges is all that remains.

S - Deeply roasted aromas, strong coffee, dark chocolate, burnt aromas. Smells really good and inviting.

T - Coffee, licorice, and really dark chocolate. A little bit of astringency comes thru and some alcohol flavor present too.

M - Very smooth and oily. Carbonation is low - just enough to know it's there, but doesn't interfere.

D - Very smooth beer. Lots of rich flavors. If it wasn't for the astringency, this would be a really easy drinker. Just that little bit of pucker it gives holds it back for me. But overall, a very good beer. (826 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: When poured, comes out almost completely black with little to no head and the little head dissipates very quickly.

S: Lots of chocolate and coffee in the noise. Can tell lots of roasted malts that add to the smell.

T: Similar to smell, decent hop bitterness, but the roasted malt quality of this beer stands out.

M: Very smooth, full bodied with little carbonation.

D: Pretty drinkable for an imperial stout. (416 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

I wanted to wait until an utterly tacky time to review this brew, but couldn't help myself! Poured from 12oz. bottle into my Founders snifter. Seasonal: 2010.

A: Pours a slightly viscous dark brown/black with a no head. Light can't even begin to try and pry its way through this brew.

S: Bitter roasted coffee bombards my nostrils with every sniff. Some lightly toasted malts are present with just a hint of semi-sweet chocolate bouncing in and out.

T: The coffee is once again there, but not as pronounced as the nose which is rather disappointing. The coffee gives way to some smooth malts and a bitter hoppy/chocolate hybrid.

M: Medium bodied with a nice carbonation. There is a very slight bitter coffee left on the palate, but it doesn't last for very long and isn't that strong.

O: This was the most coffee forward stout I've ever had to date. I was a little let down by the taste being slightly behind the nose, but it was still a nice touch and I could easily see drinking this in the morning with its subtle yet coffee dominated taste. (1,049 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

I got this bottle in a trade with RustyDiamond. Thanks Rusty!

This pours from 12oz bottle a pitch black with a large head of tannish foam.

The smell is a strong nose of coffee and roasted malt. I almost want to break out the fry pan and cook me some eggs and bacon. ;^)

The taste is coffee dominated with side orders of chocolate, roasted malt, and just a bit of citrus hop bitterness lingering in the background. It finishes with a very roasted malt bitterness, the body is medium full, and it's fairly lightly carbonated.

This is the first coffee inspired IS that comes close to going over the edge with the flavour. This is good and all but it's definetly going to take me some considerable time to finish this bottle and it's not because of the alcohol as I think it is hidden pretty well.

Thanks again, Rusty!

Edit:

Jan 9, 2011:

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout...2007. I can't believe I let this one slip by for so long.

There's certainly nothing wrong with the sound...a nice big pop when I removed the cap, and the look...Blackest of blacks and a decent though short lived head of tan foam.

The smell has with a big Port like aroma with a ton of caramel malt and chocolate. No coffee left at all but I reckoned that would be the case.

Big milk chocolate, caramel, Port flavours with mucho dark fruits. Holy hell. This is superb! Not what the brewer intended, for sure, but at this stage in the game, it drinks very much like a beautifully aged Old Ale or English Barleywine Ale.

Still close to full bodied and there's mostly lightish carbonation until the swallow when I get some very spritzy notes on my throat.

This is the surprise of this century so far for me. I would never have guessed that a most excellent coffee Stout would evolve into something even better. I wish I had a case of them so I could share! (1,841 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

12 oz bottle courtesy of kiefdog. Pours black with a dark brown small head. Smell alot of coffee, hints of chocolate. Taste is similar to smell..alot of coffee. Silky texture, a little chewy but very tasty and drinkable. I like coffee so it works well. I liked it alot and look fwd to getting more. (298 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

bottle 2012 vintage....thanks to packpride for this one
aroma is a little light but you get hints of vanilla and roast.
black as night and fairly thick with a coffee colored head that maintains for about a two minutes
you definitely get full on coffee that plays well with the roast that isn't to acrid. has a touch of vanilla witch almost gives it a touch of a bourbon taste. you want to let this warm up a bit to enhance all the flavors that are in this beer
the oatmeal gives a full slick mouthfeel that is really nice.
overall a very good breakfast stout that I would have again. (583 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -10.4%

Turtles. Pours a midnight black color with decent viscous sticking power. A darker thick head with a great head retention and lacing through the tasting.

The nose is limited overall. Some malty notes with hints of the darker malts. Chocolate and a bit of roast. Some minor lactic notes but more along the lines of a acid than oatmeal. Limited overall.

The taste is much more descript versus the nose. The malt comes out nicely with a good base. Some chocolate notes and a more distinct coffee flavor. More of a bean coffee type of flavor versus a coffee infusion. Some roast but limited. The oatmeal is distinct and noticeable. Really hides some of the astringent notes. The yeast is noticeable as well. Some heat and a noticeable ester profile. Mostly plums and figs but a light rose peddle thing on the back end. Some minor vanilla note that almost hints at oak, but feint.

The body is closer to full than moderate. The astringency is not over powering thanks to the oat flavor. Some heat that would do well with some time. A good oatmeal stout but would benefit from age. (1,077 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Pitch black in color, capped by a full inch of thick creamy light brown head. Lacing comes in a wall of foam that clings to the glass.

S: I have had many coffee stouts, but the nose on most of those can hardly compare to the coffee in this beer's bouquet. Hazelnut, dark roast coffee, and a slight chinook hop bittern twinge. However, I am a bit disappointed at the lack of other characteristic flavors of my favorite imperial stouts...the chocolate, roasted malts, the caramel.

T: The coffee taste again manifests itself in an impressive way. There is nothing artificial about this coffee flavor. Again, there is a piney hop undertone that serves to balance out the beer. I just can't get too excited about it as there isn't a lot of depth to the flavor.

M/D: Sticky and a bit creamy, the carbonation is more potent than expected, but it somehow manages to work. I am enjoying this beer, but there is something missing that keeps me from getting too attached to it. I would drink it again, but not sure that I would see it out. (1,062 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%

As a biology instructor, I was somewhat of an amateur herpetologist. The word "terrapin" is derived from the Algonquian Indian word "torope" and is used to refer to a variety of North American aquatic turtles of the family Emydiolae, especially the genus Malaclemys.

That said I am a sucker for wildlife on beer labels. This Monster 2006 Beer Tour 12 oz bottle has made it way to Mid Missouri via BigLove in West Monroe, La on his visit to St. Louis, Mo.

The diamondback terrapin is the state reptile of the state of Maryland and the official mascot of the University of Maryland.

The brewers (spike and John of Terrapin Beer Co Athens, Ga have contracted production to Frederick Brewing Co., Frederick, MD.

Handsome pour in my Samuel Smith's sniffer. Black as the brackish marshes of its namesake. The sienna head slides quickly neath the surface leaving an edge ring like ripples from a disturbed terrapin.

Diamondback terrapins (Malaclemys terrapin) are arguably one of the most beautiful of all turtle species when compared to other species native to the United States and worldwide.

Aroma is sweet dark roasted malt with some fruit and chocolate malt/coffee hints.

Flavor of dark chocolate basking in warmth of 8% abv alcohol. Near the end the bitter dark roast malt and bittering hops release their enduring bite. Having started at 56°F the beer is now in the 60's and less carbonated and much more enjoyable. Mouth feel is less creamy with the dimenished CO2 but the mouthfeel is still slick and dextrinous as you expect from Imperial stouts.

This offering from Terrapin Beer Co. is worthy of your support as are those wonderful creatures that inspired the name and labels.

The Mission of the World Chelonian Trust (WCT) is to promote the conservation and assure the survival of all tortoises and freshwater turtles.

http://www.chelonia.org/newsltter.htm (1,893 characters)