Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial StoutTerrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Served in a snifter

Thanks to injuredreserve for this awesome tick

This is poured from a what appears to be an 08 vintage of the beer. I was surprised since I had figured that I received a new one in the BIF.

This beer pours a super viscous blackness that only can contain a sheen of tan foam on the surface before returning to the oil slick from which it poured. I assume that the age of this beer is to blame for that atrocity. The aromatics are rather pleasant. There are notes of coffee which is rather nice, along side that there are smoke and toasted oats. The roast takes an aback to the nice caramel sweetness from the malts. The roast does however show it's head when it comes time to taste. I sampled flavors ranging from coffee to vanilla and sweet caramel butterscotch. I think I also was able to detect some almost fruity characteristics from the body, almost a faint raspberry taste. The body was oddly thin for something that contained oats. This was still a highly drinkable beer, and I wonder to myself what a fresh one might taste like.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured 12oz bottle into chalice.

A - pours dark coffee black with a thin 1 finger mocha head. Disappears and does not leave behind lacing.

S - Notes of dark roast coffee and bitter dark chocolate. Sweet hints of milk chocolate, caramel, marshmallows, and cocoa. Roasted malts also mixed in.

T - Roasted coffee, bold bitter chocolate with marshmallows. Subdued notes of rich caramel and milk chocolate. Roasted maltiness on the finish. No noticeable alcohol flavor.

M - Rich, creamy and full bodied, just like an oatmeal stout should be.

O - This is an excellent coffee stout. It's right up there with FBS and I recommend trying it if you are ever in the Carolinas.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a DFH signature snifter...

A - Poured a relatively normal dark brown color that borders on black. A foamy, mocha colored head forms and retains for a bit.

S - Really nice aroma here. Tons of black coffee comes out along with a chocolate that reminds me of chocolate covered coffee beans. Theres a richness of the aroma that reminds me of fudge. Really very nice and an awesome aroma for a coffee oatmeal stout.

T - Coffee and chocolate really takes the stage here. Strong bitter coffee mixed with brownie like chocolate richness. I get a little vanilla in there as well which is nice.

M - Medium to heavy bodied beer. Creamy and rich with a slight dryness.

O - Really nice beer and a definite contender for best breakfast stout. Will definitely look for this one again sometime.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Opaque in body with little cinnamon head. Aroma of coffee, chocolate, cinnamon, pie crust. Chocolate, coffee beans, roast, burnt bread, slight raisin towards the finish, tang/sweet tobacco aftertaste. Heavy bodied with medium carbonation. A bit cola-like. Some astringent flavors come through.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful blend of coffee and oatmeal like KBS only better

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured a pretty oily and viscous pitch black. Which is a pleasant surprise as I find most coffee added stouts are thinned out. Nice foamy mocha colored head with good retention and spotty lacing.

Nose is quite nice. Full of dark nutty oatmeal right off the bat with robust fresh coffee beans. Great coffee bean smell as opposed to coffee.

Coffee is most prominent in the flavor which is great. Also brown sugar oatmeal, roasted nuts and a bit of molasses. Very pleasant coffee lingering aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is great. Very creamy smooth. Full bodied which is great for a coffee stout. Medium carbonation.

Overall this is a very well made coffee stout! Wish I had constant access to this.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Picked up a four pack of this in Atlanta to share with the Michiana Coalition of the Drinking back in South Bend.
Gotta love the label. I always like it when reptiles can cook and wear clothes.
Looks very impressive when poured. Deep opaque black/brown with an awesome dense head. Bubbles rise very slowly. Nose is dark chocolate and malts. Taste is intense oats and malts, with coffee grounds and a nice charred smoky malts flavor. Mouthfeel is thick, and drinkability is good. Best turtle-themed beer I've had.

Finally a good beer I poured into my tumbler at 45 degrees. I like this company a whole lot. This beer was just about as black as you can get. The beer was nice and rich with a great coffee hot and smooth oat sweetness. ABV is mighty high is the only thing I do not like but it did not blow flavor away.Tasty and I will certainly buy again. I wish I had one right now.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Yowee! Coffee, chocolate, and a touch of smokey roasted charred coffee beans. This is a good beer. My woman is packing to move to Atlanta, so I opened this Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout because I figured I'd get a lot more for the cost of shipping pretty soon.

I've had "wake and bake" twice from a 12oz bottle. It's a winter seasonal, and I had it once in January and once now in July. It's definitely better fresh, so this review is a mix from my notes then and my drinking it now.

There's a taste that I've had in a bunch of coffee beers that makes for a distinct "diner coffee" overburnt taste. When this one ages, it appears to push that line a bit too closely. But the appearance is sexy. Dark rich black with a purple tan head that sits on the beer and fades to subtle lacing around the glass.

It smells like coffee first, chocolate second, and dark fruits later on. The oatmeal is there too, but it doesn't need to stand out. Man it tastes good. Sweet sweet sweet. It finishes with a coffee roastiness that's close to burnt, but not quite there yet, and provides a clean finish. That makes this medium bodied brew easy to drink, in addition to being very tasty.

After drinking it, I'm really happy about her moving.

Wait.. I didn't mean it like that!

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

To be as brief as possible: dark chocolate and a bit of plain yogurt covered coffee beans. In a word? Stellar. I'm loving this one.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

12-oz bottle poured into a Reidel O series Shiraz glass. Thanks to hellomcfly for the bottle.

A = Dark mahogany, dark red brown head that foamed up but dissipated quickly leaving a thin layer of medium brown foam on surface.

S = I must be at a coffee bar, mostly I smell fresh ground and brewed Yemen Mocha, lurking underneath that I get small traces of bitter chocolate, cherry scented tobacco, unripe plums. Quite complex and interesting, if all of the smells were a little better blended this would have garnered a higher score.

T = Very enjoyable, strong flavors of strong bitter coffee, yes, but much more, Baker's chocolate, not quite ripe cherries, half-cooked rye bread dough. Long bitter finish.

M = Extremely luscious smooth creamy mouthfeel. Heavy body, perfect level of foamy carbonation, great mouthcoating. Awesome mouthfeel.

D = This is an extremely approachable Imperial Stout. The coffee is perfectly done. If it weren't an ABV bomb, I'd say it would be awesome for breakfast. Very highly recommended.

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Pure black body with a dark brown gray head. Great retention and lace.
Sweet coffee chocolate scent. Utterly delicious.
Strong malty coffee flavor. Great hoppy aftertaste.
Thick stout feel. Good coating and dry finish.
Great drinkability. Cheers!