2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial StoutTerrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: rajendra82 on 02-15-2005)
View: Beers (40) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,767 | Reviews: 1,166 | Show All Ratings:
bitterbeerguy

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to businesstime for this great bottle!

Pours a midnight black color, well carbonated with off-white bubbles that lingered through the entire consumption

Aroma was nice, but a little confusing. The coffee flavor was absent (thus the confusion), but traditional stout characters were present- nuts, marshmallow, hint of oak/bourbon, and maybe some coffee in the background.

Taste really stole the show for this brew. There are not many hidden flavors- just unrelenting, crazy-good coffee. I have no idea how they packed this kind of flavor into the brew, but WOW. Without a double the best coffee stout I have had to date for coffee flavor. Also impressed by that lingering coffee flavor. You could easily convince me that I just had a cup of coffee at breakfast. Also recommend letting it warm up for 20 minutes, the flavor profile got even more intense as time passed.

If you are a coffee drinker, please find a way to get this brew- thanks again, Jeremy.

03-11-2012 03:31:03 | More by bitterbeerguy
mcgwire756

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

2010 Vintage

I just heard about this beer for the first time recently and had someone tell me that it blows Founders Breakfast Stout away. So I picked up a 4 pack and gave it a try. Well while it does not blow Breakfast Stout away, I do agree that I like it better which is saying a lot. The pour is dark and perfect with a half finger of head that lingers. The aroma is a much more refined coffee bean than Breakfast Stout which is why I think I like this beer so much. The taste is of chocolate and a hint of coffee that doesnt overpower you. This beer is way too easy to drink, but at 8% you can easily drink more than one in a session. This is my new favorite Oatmeal Stout.

01-09-2011 14:43:06 | More by mcgwire756
JoshVandy

Indiana

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

355mL bottle into Bruery snifter. 2010 vintage.

A- Pours a very dark brown color, almost black, with a beautiful half-finger dark mocha head that dies down rapidly after settling in the glass.

S- For the most part, this is exactly what the name implies. Nice fresh roasted coffee and chocolate notes with a little toasted malt in there as well, but not overdone.

T- Coffee hits me first, followed by the chocolate. A little bit of a hop kick towards the back that's barely there. Simple flavors that are done very well.

M- Viscous and oily. Not too thick, but definitely not thin. Coats the mouth nicely, leaving the flavors to linger for a short period. Very nice.

O- A great example of a coffee stout done right. Definitely rivals Founders Breakfast Stout in my opinion. Simple, yet elegant in it's execution. A well done brew.

05-09-2011 02:15:51 | More by JoshVandy
muskiesman

4.43/5  rDev +3%

thanks to liquor outlet in boonton for this one
12 oz poured into a tulip glass

pours an opaque black with a heavy mocha two finger foam head with delicate lacing throughout the range

Aroma of expresso and dark chocolates dark roasted malts and earthy grains come in as it warms

taste is a treasure trove of huge roasted malt chocolate and coffees all very delicately balanced and intertwined

mouth feel is mealy yet smooth silky dark and sinful
Overall a fantastic coffee oatmeal stout one to watch out for

02-06-2012 22:13:17 | More by muskiesman
xpdrinker

A - Opaque black, aggressive pour yields little head but what does appear is a dense reddish-dark brown.  Pasty lacing that succumbs to gravity and slides back into the pool of darkness.

S - Coffee with sugar substitute, fudge brownie batter, tiny splash of vanilla and subatomic hints of dark cherry. Not as coffee-intense as FBS.

T - Rich, buttery chocolate infused coffee up front, alcohol burst in the middle and settles down on the back end to bring back some bitter chocolate, Tootsie Roll and coffee with a swirl of syrup. Pinch of cinnamon appears on alternating sips.

M - Just shy of full-bodied, almost milky if not for the carbonation which is just enough. Slight sticky-dry finish.

O - Didn't dig this at all last year but my transition to full-blown stout fanatic since then gives me a higher appreciation of it. An excellent coffee stout even though the hype baffles me a little. Not a Terrapin fan by any means but I think this is the best of their lineup.

12-31-2011 02:08:22 | More by xpdrinker
Shagtastic

Indiana

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into my Chimay Chalice

A: Jet black with very little head. What head there was was dark brown and faded quickly.

S: Tons of coffee and then more coffee on top of that. Great nose and one I can smell with my glass sitting a few feet away.

T: Huge coffee notes throughout. I get chocolate in the end which finishes it up really nicely. Maybe a little over the top on the sweetness but really enjoyable.

M: Great carbonation but a little thinner than I hoped for.

O: This is an awesome beer. I really enjoyed it. I don't know if I'd put it on equal terms with Founders Breakfast Stout but its as close as I've found yet. This is my first offering from these guys and I'm truly impressed. I'd highly recommend this beer.

01-09-2012 02:56:49 | More by Shagtastic
duffcalifornia

Wisconsin

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

2010 vintage poured into a pint glass.

A: As black as the coffee used to brew it, with one finger's worth of mocha colored head that faded fairly quickly and gave little to no lacing.

S: Absolutely inviting. Coffee, oats, roasted malts, hint of chocolate. The smell alone is mouth-watering.

T: A perfect blend of coffee and oatmeal. Also tastes of roasted malts, chocolate, and a faint hint of what might be dark fruits.

M: A slightly heavy mouthfeel (which I enjoy) with low carbonation. Pretty much everything I'd want from an imperial stout.

O: This is one of the tastiest beers I've ever had. I trade for it every opportunity I get, and it makes me sad I can't buy it locally. For having 8% ABV, it's *extremely* drinkable. Plus if you add it to a Moo Hoo and make a Wake 'n' Moo, you've created essentially an alcoholic Jamocha shake. If this was available locally, it might be one of the only things I drank in the winter months. I can not say enough about this beer. If you haven't tried it, put it on your must-have list!

03-17-2011 04:19:41 | More by duffcalifornia
Klgkenny

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Aggressive pour into a room temp pint.

Pour produces a stout, dark brown, two-finger head which dissipates after two minutes leaving a glaze of mocha colored lace. When held up to the light, there is zero penetration. Black. Black. Black.

The taste and smell are very simple. Black coffee. Simple isn't a bad thing though. It is wonderful. There may be a slight taste of alcohol, but it's ever so slight. I wish that I could say more about the taste and smell to illustrate how great it is, but simplicity is what makes this so perfect.

In the mouth it feels thick and creamy with a very light carbonation. Coats the mouth and leaves a taste of ... Coffee!

I woke up in the morning to a cold house and lit a fire. As soon as the fire was lit, I poured a glass of the terrapin. Extremely drinkable. I could have one of these at any time of day or year, but especially when it is chilly. Also, this would go great with cookies or doughnuts!

12-23-2008 17:43:00 | More by Klgkenny
drrone

Utah

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A - pours a nice jet black. 1 inch of light brown head that faded to leave a nice crown of lace.

S - Great coffee presence. Malty, with chocolate and slight touch of hops(?). Coffee definitely take the center stage here, but the nose is very nice.

T - Follows suit with the nose. Coffee, coffee and more coffee. Very good. A little boozy, but I like that.

M - Very nice medium to full body. Pretty easy to drink considering it is an imperial stout. Quite pleasant.

O - Very nice beer. I was looking for a good coffee stout and this delivered perfectly. It has a strong coffee foundation, but yet a few touches of other goodies to keep it intriguing. This was from a trade, but I will buy this beer again, when I see it.

04-16-2013 18:28:39 | More by drrone
nhudson

Alabama

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Had this at the Brickstore in Decatur the other day. I watched the lady bring it over from the bar to my table and could not take my eyes off the wonderful looking head this beer had. Brown with what looks to be coffee grinds in it. Once it got to me though the smell was of coffee, strong coffee with maybe a hint of chocolate. Taste is of coffee and cocoa with a nice hint of oatmeal to smooth everything out. After you drink it the bitterness pulls everything together. I also got a nice warming feel from the alcohol once drank. Overall this is by far the best coffee stout I have ever had and it's something everyone should try.

01-15-2009 04:36:08 | More by nhudson
ABHatter

Rhode Island

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

Received this bottle in a trade from JTROCKCHALK.
2008 Vintage. Poured from a 12oz bottle into Southern Tier tulip. Pours with a 10W 30 like consistency. Carbonation is pretty solid, Tiny bubbles produce a mild cascading effect. Close to jet black color with a chocolate frosting/ Semi rusty colored head that disappears almost as quickly as the cascading effect does.

S-French Roast Coffee, Molassess, Oatmeal cookies. Mild dark chocolate, Coffee is clearly the dominating smell.

T- The label is not lying! Big Coffee flavor upfront, Dark chocolate & Oats linger in the background. Balance is very good. I was expecting a sickningly sweet stout, And I found it to be the complete opposite.

M-Exceptional! Leaves sort of a creamy dry finish. I like how the sweetness is toned down leaving a black coffee like aftertaste.

D-Drinkability seems to be pretty good. I would most likely stop at 1 or 2. But due to the toned down sweetness, I do find this to be quite easy to drink considering the style.

Great beer from Terrapin. I wish that I had another bottle to age, so that I could compare the two over time.

10-09-2008 02:52:32 | More by ABHatter
JNewbs

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

I'll start by saying that I'm reviewing this from the perspective of someone who loves coffee and is looking for a coffee-beer love child, even though that person is NOT me. I can appreciate what they are trying to do here, and it worked.

A - Black as the night, with a mocha head that goes on for days and laces my glass like mad.

S - Uh, coffee? Like crushed up coffee beans, fresh roasted black and stuffed up my nose.

T - More of the same, minus the nose bit. The oatmeal is lost here, but the thick smoothness of the Imperial Stout mixed with the sharp tang/bitterness of the coffee produces a unique flavor profile. I can't really think of anything to say but coffee. Coffee, coffee, coffee.

M - The reason I dinged it on mouthfeel is because it actually left some of that nasty coffee-mouth feeling in my gullet. I had to drink something else afterward to get out the taste.

Overall, coffee bomb. Bar none, the most coffee beer I've ever looked at let alone tasted. Not for me, but victory to Terrapin - they hit the nail on the head.

07-22-2011 17:02:47 | More by JNewbs
umfskibum

Maine

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

12 oz bottle w/ some awesome artwork, thanks to markgugs for the opportunity!

A: Almost black, with the slightest hints of brown when held up to the light. Nice foamy, creamy-looking brown head about an inch thick, and some gnarly carbonation.

S: Really stouty, fresh ground coffee and dark chocolate malts come through the most. REALLY stong, and just a rich nose in general.

T: Tastes like coffee with a bit of a beer flavor, rather than the other way around. Burnt malt kicks in there as well. Oatmeal and bitter, bitter chocolate follow the initial flavors. I have to say, I was a little disappointed by a lack of balance in this brew. It is an interesting flavor, and comes immediately to mind as a breakfast stout, but a little off in my eyes with the coffee overpowering the other flavors from the nose. A little change in tastes would make an ultimately more complex brew.

M: Smoooth. Really creamy and filling, but goes down without any stickiness or residue that you find in a lot of stouts, particularly imperials.

D: Quite drinkable, as it has a nice coffee taste and goes down oh-so-smoothly. Though I think that the taste could be shifted and balanced a little in my opinion, this is really worth a shot.

03-03-2007 23:18:22 | More by umfskibum
PurpleCloud

Wisconsin

3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

A: Extremely dark, opaque, black with a quickly disappearing leather brown head.

S: Heavy on coffee with some hints of cocoa.

T: A strong expected coffee taste with a slight bitter hops taste at the end. I'm not getting any oatmeal taste though.

M: Smooth, but also kind of sharp on the way down.

D: It's pretty heavy and the taste is very strong.

Overall: Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout (COIS) is a good stout but left me wanting a bit more. It's got a great coffee flavor that's thick and bold, but for some reason, and I can't quite put my finger on it, it lacks a decent aftertaste. It sort of comes in strong but leaves something to be desired on the way down. Overall though, it's a good stout and worth a pint at your local bar.

02-22-2011 03:16:42 | More by PurpleCloud
ejyoung

Arizona

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Pours a dark black color with a small coffee colored head that was gone almost as fast as it formed, leaving only a ring around the glass.

S: Dark roasted coffee, some chocolate

T: Plenty of coffee and roasted malt. Finishes with a touch of bittersweet chocolate

M: Nice amount of carbonation yet still has a great, silky feel. It's full bodied

D: Easy to drink, no alcohol notes. It does leave a coating in my mouth, but I could still have more than one.

Overall, a very nice coffee stout. I would definitely have this again.

01-23-2011 05:04:30 | More by ejyoung
mkabull

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

A- Pours pitch black with a slow forming but quickly dissapating dark tan head.
S- Smell of black coffee and sugar
T- taste is initially dominated by coffee and very sweet malt then a tinge of alcohol pops in then drys out with astringent dark malt and coffee
M- Very creamy mouthfeel from the oatmeal
O- The alcohol note in this is the only drawback can not wait to see how a little age effects this

01-22-2012 03:33:05 | More by mkabull
RppIII

District of Columbia

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

2012 vintage. The beer was poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass after sitting at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Appearance: The pour is a pure, deep black with a frothy chocolate covered head. Retention is excellent for this style and the carbonation looks very fine and spread out.

Smell: The aroma hits you the second the top is cracked. Fresh malt assails the senses, so much so that it’s hard to smell anything else. There is a hint of alcohol, fresh coffee grinds, and chocolate malt along with an interesting biscuit maybe even oatmeal cookie aroma.

Taste: Lots of sweet dark malt, a nutty biscuit quality, followed by the bitterness of a fresh black coffee, chocolate nibs, and more malt for a very pleasing finish. Alcohol is rather present in this beer, which is a bit surprising given its malt presence.

Mouthfeel: Like slushing finely carbonated motor oil through ones mouth. A very chewy yet aesthetically pleasing feel, and definitely a full-bodied brew. There is a drying essence to this beer that almost requires you to take another drink after only a few moments.

Drinkability: Moderately drinkable, especially at 8.1% abv. This isn’t a beer that could be drank one after another, unless one were spending an evening in an igloo, that being said, it would be a great way to wake up in the morning, maybe with some bacon and sausage before one dons flannel and heads out to chop fire wood for the hearth.

March 3, 2013
Tallahassee, Fl

03-04-2013 03:24:16 | More by RppIII
bobbypaulson

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

another great extra!!!! Pours from another color 12oz bottle, lovin these labels (would always trade for more Terrapin stuff). pours a blinding black color with a think off white head that only leaves a ring. smell is of coffee and oatmeal, another beer that reminds me of breakfast. The taste is chocolately and rich with a coffee finish. This beer isn't super thick like I thought it was gonna be, but it has a ncie mouthfeel and goes perfect with a kit kat bar. This beer is delicious.

11-18-2011 04:03:02 | More by bobbypaulson
treehouse

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

nose of coffee syrup...nestle's quick...a bit of wet tobacco...

mouthed...

smoked coffee beans...hint of vanilla...chocolate tartness..needs to warm a bit...

still the coffee!..bold....if there is chocolate i ain't tasting it....a tiny bit o creaminess....some oat flavor...

03-05-2011 21:04:22 | More by treehouse
Jenkster4

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Look: Pitch black with a nice brown lacing. Looks like a Imperial Stout, a sexy stout at that.

Smell: At first you get a lot of chocolate and molasses with a little licorice. If you let that settle like I did, the coffee appears and smack you in the face.

Taste: First of all let me say what I like about this one the most is the smoothness. Super smooth, any coffee lover is going to dig this beer. You get some chocolate along with some roasted malts. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: No complaints here. Pretty much perfect. No after taste, it maybe could use a little more thickness.... but overall this category is what makes this beer so good.

Overall this a great stout. So great that if possible I would indeed have this every morning upon waking, to get the day started right. Bravo Terrapin, bravo.

07-09-2011 05:22:14 | More by Jenkster4
StoryOfTheGhost

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

This is a fantastic beer.

Pours black, decent head. Head is dark copper. No light passing through

S- Smells sweet. Roasted malts, coffee underneath the malt smell. The sweetness is mostly chocolate, caramel, brown sugar?

T- Heavenly. Tastes like a great cup of coffee. There is a really nice sweetness to it. Tastes like caramel mixed with the coffee. The oatmeal has more of an oatmeal cookie taste than just straight oatmeal. Lacks the metalic flavor that some of the oatmeal stouts have.

M- Sweet, leaves a great coating. Full body, somewhat carbonated

O- deserves a 5, because it is a great beer coming in 4 pack for under 10 bucks. Cant beat it

02-07-2012 23:35:21 | More by StoryOfTheGhost
mahak213

4.48/5  rDev +4.2%

Sipping on a 2011 vintage thanks to Bennettrox!

Appearance- Super thick, oily looking, with very minimal head. Turned very quickly into a thin ring of brown around the edges of my snifter.

Smell- COFFEE. Behind that some dark cocoa, and just a touch of vanilla.

Taste- Tons of coffee and sweet cocoa upfront, with a solid roasted malt backbone. As it warms up, you start to pick up a slight vanilla note behind everything. No alcohol taste at all, but you get the warmth from it as you swallow.

Mouthfeel- Very thick and coating. Minmal carbonation, perfect for the style.

Overall- Was really looking forward to trying this one and I'm glad I got to. FBS was one of the first beers I really fell in love with, and this goes toe to toe with it. I just wish I could get it in my area! Very solid beer, and I would definitely give it a try if you can!

04-12-2012 19:27:54 | More by mahak213
SHerninko

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Bottle - 2012, pulled out of an ice bucket, setout for 20 min to warm up a bit.

Appear: Dark, nice tan head, some lacing, not motor oil like many stouts, oatmeal/coffee browning it up a bit.

Smell: Coffee and dough, oaty as it warms up, but lots of coffee, very great smell overall.

Taste: Very solid, good blend of coffee, but a bit on the dark/intense coffee flavor, actually blends better and not as forward as it warms up. Very good taste overall, this oaked would be a whole 'notha level and move it up.

Mouthfeel: A little thin, not chewy, not creamy/silky, in the middle. Carbonation was low so nothing offensive overall.

Overall: Very good to great stout with coffee and the oatmeal backbone. For a non-aged/oaked beer this is very nice.

01-14-2013 16:44:55 | More by SHerninko
mlhyatt

Georgia

4.13/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass

A - poured a nice dark black with a nice brown head. The head turns into a lace pretty quick.

Smell- roast. Rich coffee with a dark roastiness. A hint of chocolate and a few burnt notes. smells a little watery as well. strange.

Taste- a lot of coffee. It feels like the taste separates into three different sections where the coffee in upfront with a little chocolate and oatmeal on the back end, and then water; straight up water taste after it goes down.

Mouthfeel- smooth without very much of a carbonated taste. Very mild even with a 9% abv. very thing however, I wish it was a little bit thicker being an imperial stout

Overall- It was good and i would recommend it to people. The biggest dislike I had with this brew was the watery smell and taste and the thin mouth feel.

12-12-2013 03:34:56 | More by mlhyatt
DeaconBluez

Alabama

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

poored a nice head. not huge or anything.

dark. dark like a stout should be gawdarnit

smell. roasted coffee. did i just wake up???

man. this is swell. roasted coffee and choclate in the taste. some biscuity taste. this is awesome. feel like i should have the morning paper in front of me. this is truely lovely.

the only thing i can say that i wish was a little more stellar on this brew was the mouthfeel. other than that, no complaints here. terrapin beer company is making me proud to call this a southern brewery. if you see this up for trade, jump on it

01-21-2006 00:55:45 | More by DeaconBluez