Terrapin Rye Squared - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Rye SquaredTerrapin Rye Squared

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

Availability: Spring

Double the malt, double the hops, and double the flavor of the original Rye Pale Ale recipe.

An "Imperial Pale Ale".

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-06-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Rye Squared Alström Bros
GoGators

12-09-2011 16:04:09 | More by eddiechilton
rajendra82

Georgia

4.88/5  rDev +23.9%

Last year, the Rye² was my favorite “Monster” beer from Terrapin. That was at the Taco Mac pint glass poured with no head, and served too cold. Now that I can get this in bottles, it was time to give the beer the proper serving treatment of a Tulip glass at cellar temperature.

The beer came out cloudy peach in color, with a small head that was beige. The smell was very citric hops, with a tinge of spice. From the first sip, the hops were clearly in command here, just as they are in the little brother Terrapin Rye Pale Ale. There was also a lot of sweet malt that was just short of syrupy. The thick body provided to be a good hop delivery vehicle, although it was not as tongue coating as it could have been. This was certainly more in the mould of a classic DIPA when compared to the Big Hoppy Monster. The sweet, hoppy, and spicy, flavors never quite dominated as they do in some of the big West Coasters. Very easy to drink despite the 8.5% ABV.

Purchased on the day of the release 13 April 06. The best by date says 26 September 06, but I doubt it’ll be as good in five months as it is fresh.

04-14-2006 03:15:13 | More by rajendra82
doubleipa

Georgia

4.83/5  rDev +22.6%

I’ve finally was able to try this wonderful beer. My local Taco Mac on P’tree Industrial had no clue about this beer, so I went to the Taco Mac on Holcomb Bridge. My wife and I have been waiting for this beer for quite some time. Our every day beer is Terrapin Rye so one can imagine our enthusiasm for a double version.
CAMRA would be proud of the full pour we got. To be honest I didn’t expect this beer to be as dark as it was. However, the hops and caramel malt is incredibly strong, with a decent amount of carbonation. The beer has a great balance between the malt, rye, and hops. In addition, I never would’ve known this beer clocks in at almost 9% ABV. Not a hint of an alcohol taste. As the beer warmed the malt flavor increased, as did the rye.
Overall, this is one of the best high gravity beers I’ve had. Very different than any other double IPA.

05-16-2005 14:22:26 | More by doubleipa
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.83/5  rDev +22.6%

What an incredible brew from Terrapin here... This may be their best effort in my opinion...

Vintage 08...

Pours out a gorgeous reddish color with a creamy fluffy head and sticky lacing...magnificent..

Aroma of sweet citrusy hops, oranges, sweet malts and rye malts all blended together perfectly.. So far, I'm super impressed!

Taste goes right along with the aroma...
This is sweet, hoppy, and spicy all at the same time... Its incredible how good this brew tastes... Its unlike anything else that I've ever tasted... And I'm loving it..

Absolutely a masterpiece from the boys at Terrapin here... I have 3 more left and I'm headed back for number 2 now... Highly, highly recommended!!

04-11-2008 03:57:30 | More by Tilley4
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

4.8/5  rDev +21.8%

Two fingers of light foamy tan head is generated from a vigorous pour. Scattered lace is left as it fades. Body is a rich tone of amber. Nose is an attractive mellow mix of malty sweetness and rich soft hops. With the first sip you get very silky balance from the hops and the malt, with even sweetness. The rye feel here is very warm and woodsy, almost spicey but soft and enjoyable. I cant get over how well this beer is balanced and how drinkable it is. At 8.5% it is scary well hidden. Only a slight warming in the belly. Mouthfeel is deleciously thick. May be my new favorite Imperial pale ale. The hops are here just well mingled with the rest of the brew, which I like very well.

01-27-2008 20:53:01 | More by SPLITGRIN
brewdlyhooked13

4.78/5  rDev +21.3%

Review #900, beer #888

Appearance - pours very smoothly into the Sam Adams glass. Too smoothly, so I increased the distance of the pour. Bad idea. The head was delayed in setting up and now it's a runaway. I take in a full mouth of foam and just a tad ran over. Mmm, good, but more on that later. This settles in as a cool looking orange golden brew. The last ounce poured in a bit of fine sediment but it is not dispersing quickly at all, it just hangs in mid-brew. The massive head falls back to a clumpy cover, leaving a blasted battlefield full of broken lace - something happened here, lol.

Aroma - smells heavy and sweet with syrupy citrus.

Taste - heavy malts start pretty sweetly, the sugar and alcohol mixing to form a fine warm burn. The hops have lost their crisp bite I imagine, but they are doing well despite. Primary citrus flavors are still there but a little shallow. The swallow ushers in a slow dry bitterness that gains volume slowly but surely. The finish has a breath of citrus but a warm hoppy bite with lingering alcohol.

Mouthfeel - heavy, viscous, oily, mmm. Carbonation is a bit understated, which is no surprise given what I did to the beer on the pour.

Drinkability - potent, yes. Delicious, yes yes. If the dang ingredient shortages don't make this $20 a sixer, I'll grab more than one bottle.

03-15-2008 03:55:44 | More by brewdlyhooked13
mully

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

Picked this up at bruisin ales

Pours a clear copper color with deep amber hues. tan head fades relatively quickly, the head had an pinkish tint. Fine carbonation can be seen rising from this wonderful plastic cup provided by the Holiday Inn.

Rye and hops blend wonderfully and integrate with malt sweetnes. Spicey and earthy aroma with citrus underneath. Smells a little like whiskey with the rya and all it's noa big surprise, not boozey but reminisint of it.

The huge hops fuse with the rye to make this beer spicy and almost earthy. Good malt structure for the hops to explode off, but it is not sweet. Some citrus and hints of other fruits.

Good mouthfeel and carbonation. Beer is dry, but full.

Very drinkable beer, I could drink this on a hot summer day or sip it on a cool spring evening.

I really like this beer, It is going to be tough to bring the rest of these home to share with the other BAs I got them for.

05-07-2009 04:56:17 | More by mully

Tennessee

09-16-2012 00:40:19 | More by Guybrush
endlesszero

4.7/5  rDev +19.3%

After consuming a not so friendly Florida IPA, this beer raped my tastebuds with the ancient fury of Thors nemesis's, the Ice Giants.

This beer lathers me in malt with a balanced hoppiness
that digs relentlesy into the pits of Hades domain. How this beer scored a B+ is unearthly. It deserves the knee and pardon from heaven above.

Forever shall this ravage the depths of my cursed loins.

03-16-2011 23:41:05 | More by endlesszero
BrewCrew2010

Mississippi

4.7/5  rDev +19.3%

A: This beer is golden amber with highlights of red, but very cloudy. It has little to no head (off-white) that is fully diminishing.

S: You immediately smell malty sweetness in this beer. Grapefruit, citrus, pine, and floral hints are clearly there. Not a strong bouquet, but very pleasurable.

T: Wow, very good. Well pronouced caramel flavors in the front of the mouth followed by mild malty flavors with a very quick finish of citrus hops. Not much bitterness if at all, but a very sweet beer. However, no flavors out does others making this a very well-balanced beer.

M: A very light beer. Smooth, full bodied, little/medium carbonation.

D: I can definately throw a few of these back during the summer. Gotta watch out for the ABV though. Great to convert someone to craft beer and we did it to our friend eith this one.

08-12-2010 23:35:27 | More by BrewCrew2010
ncvbc

4.65/5  rDev +18%

Why I haven't tried this in a few years I have no clue. Worlds better than I remember, maybe I just didn't know what I was getting myself into then. Pours a beautiful amber with reddish hues, a medium off-white head comes up and falls to a ring. Not much lacing but it's pretty potent. Smell is fairly muted at first but grows deeper and deeper as it warms. Fresh, green citrusy hops with a spicy undertone. Light sweet malt, some bread, and a hint of alcohol. Taste is killer. I suppose the last time I had this was soon after the cap was popped in NC? I wasn't used to the big boys and this one must have just shocked me. Well damn, it's so good now. Excellent hoppy flavors meshing perfectly with malt. Definitely more hoppy than anything and the malt doesn't become thick and take away from the hop character. Quite bitter at first with sweetness in the middle and a drying finish. Orange, tangerine, pineapple, a little grapefruit. A touch of caramel and brown sugar and a wonderful bready flavor. Holy mackarel, is this my new favorite from Terrapin? Wonderfully done and a great little gem if I do say so myself. I'm glad this is local because I sent the other bottles I had out in trades and such. I really wish I had another to follow this one but unfortunately that's not the case. All I can say is I look forward to the next Side Project, anything new from Terrapin is welcomed by me...one of my favorite breweries and they just keep growing on me.

05-08-2008 22:26:42 | More by ncvbc
sarahspat

4.58/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours an orangeish amber with a nice, thick-looking orange sherbet colored head. A never-ending stream of bubbles rushes from the bottom of my tulip glass. A thick wall of lace coats the side of the glass, and a good sized cap of head remains for quite some time. This beer truly earned its 5 here.

The nose is beautiful, too. Lots of rye, pine sap, white grapefruit, cannabis. All of the above are also present in the taste with nice delicious contributions of amazingly sweet caramel/toffee notes which complement the bitterness dexterously. Tropical fruits also play in the background: specifically, mango and pineapple. While the flavor from the rye is huge (and mouth-wateringly scrumptious) there is no missing the hops. Bitter pine sap is probably the most prominent flavor. However, the sweet flavors are always present at the same time as the bitterness. This beer is extremely well-made and very complex.

It feels smooth and the body is medium-light. Spicy rye almost burns the tongue (in a most delightful way) if you allow it to linger there too long. I could have had a few more of these. No sign of the 8.5% ABV on the palate.

I love this brewery! I am not had a bad (or even mediocre) beer from them yet. If I lived in Athens, I would be at the brewery every chance I got. I actually toured it while I was in Georgia visiting my family over Christmas. It was amazing (especially the sampies)! Definitely recommended. John and Spike are great guys and very talented brewers.

06-16-2009 12:13:13 | More by sarahspat
AmishT

Alabama

4.58/5  rDev +16.2%

A - A golden amber with a very nice cream-colored head. Badass label to boot. Some pretty nice lacing.

S - Very inviting spicy/citrusy hop aromas. A hint of bready malt as well.

T&M - Delicious complex hoppy flavor. A very nice bittersweet finish. It's delicious; enough said. Very nice sweetness in the middle. Very smooth mouth, but the flavor dissipated a little quickly. Medium bodied.

D - Very, very drinkable, considering the style. Really wish i had some more. Kudos to everetends for giving us a bottle of this =)

07-18-2008 00:56:03 | More by AmishT