Terrapin Hop Karma IPA - Terrapin Beer Company

Georgia, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: athensbeermaster on 04-02-2007

"The Terrapin Hop Karma IPA (formerly known as the India Style Brown Ale) is a head on collision between a hoppy, west coast IPA and a complex, malty brown ale. Brewed with 5 varieties of hops and 7 different malts, this hybrid style represents the best of both worlds." 65 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Hop Karma IPA Alström Bros

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

4.21/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

So – there are all kinds of IPAs (that aren’t really IPAs), why not a brown one?

Pours a chestnut brown color with a finger of head that rather quickly dissipated down to a thin film. The nose is malty and bready – sourdough to be precise. The maltiness really comes through in the flavor profile. The hop presence gives this offering balance and a nice, dry finish.

I really enjoyed this with the marinated charcoaled chicken that I made this evening.

There are only a handful of browns that are really top notch – I’d put this offering right up there.

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear deep brown with a frothy khaki head that slowly dissipates, leaving spotty lacing.

Aroma is sweet and nutty, almost toffee-like, with a hint of chocolate contrasting light citrus notes. Floral hops add complexity.

Flavor reveals deeply toasted malt as the backbone, with a lightly roasty finish. There's a tangy character in the background, and I can't tell if that's citrus hops or an old malt/metallic character.

Body is a bit light, with moderate carbonation.

Just as I've found with many black ipas, hops and malt don't jive well together in this beer. Reminds me of a beer I made. I enjoy the malt character, but the tangy notes are offputting.

3.44/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Pours out almost dark black with a little hue of brown with a tiny light brown head that dissipated quickly.

Smell is dark malt forward with a decent dose of citrus and earthy hops. The smell is definitely malt forward after a second smell. Not sure how old this is as it is said to be retired at this point.

Taste is burnt malt forward but there what I would say are maybe some earthy hops in the background. Keep in mind I think this is an old "brown IPA."

Mouthfeel is actually quite thick for the style given I really don't see much carbonation and there was little head to this beer.

Overall keep in mind that this is a retired "brown IPA" so I am probably not reviewing this beer near its peak. It's an OK beer I guess but I am sure it would be better when it was released. Overall it is very drinkable but it really isn't at it's peak. I am however very thankful for the extra as I received this in a trade with some really great beers.

3.36/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer reminded me of light, yet sllightly hoppy stout. I like hops, but this beer wasn't overly bitter and the hops paired well with the malts. My only complaint was that the beer had a weird metallic after taste. This seemed to go away as the beer warmed up. So perhaps I just got some bad bottles or something.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%