Terrapin Big Sloppy Monster - Terrapin Beer Company

No picture uploaded.

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Big78CJ on 06-11-2008)
4.93/5  rDev +24.2%

Enjoyed at Cervezas in Miami as part of their Terrapin night. Poured from the tap into one of the new barrel-themed glasses from the boys in Athens.

A--Poured deep ruby amber, like plum or deep caramel. The beer had a reddish tint to it when it was held up to the light. Had an brownish, tan head that was very fluffy and stayed throughout most of the beer. Didn't notice a lot of retention on the sides of the glass.

S--The bourbon comes through unexpectedly strong. Warm notes of caramel, vanilla, toffee, and butterscotch that I believe were imparted from the barrel aging. Then comes the familiar smell of Big Hoppy Monster--heavy malt, booze, and some rye on the finish.

T--Very complex. First thing I taste is the bourbon. The booze is very present and in your face, but not in a bad way. Just a little bourbon burn on the tongue. Then I get a wave of toffee, vanilla, and caramel. There's a syrupy-like taste of butterscotch that comes through as well. The beer finishes with a lasting bitter taste that reminds me of a rich espresso. Wasn't expecting that.

M--The beer is medium-bodied, little carbonation, and not much head after the first few sips. The booziness, while present, isn't detracting. The overall taste comes in waves from booze to sweet to malty to bitter. It leaves the mouth feeling different things at different times.

O--This is my first experience with Big Sloppy. I ended up going back for more. This was a more complex beer than I was expecting. I loved this beer. I hope I will get to try it again in the future.

Mosley1212, Jun 28, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +15.4%

Had this on-tap as part of the 12th anniversary celebration at the Brick Store Pub. I'd been waiting a long time to try this, and this beer is certainly right up my alley. 8.3% abv, brewed in 2006 and aged for 14 months in Jack Daniels barrels. Poured chestnut brown with a thin swirly head, but what head there was stuck around and left some superb lacing. Served in a 10oz snifter. I had two. Smelled of lovely oak and whiskey to start. The oak was not at all overwhelming and had clean but nicely subdued notes of vanilla and nicely muted whiskey. Toasted coconut, vanilla, and clean wood continue until the end, when some sweet maltiness jumps in. Wow! What a flavor! Beautiful melange of tastes including caramel malt, loads of coconut and vanilla sweetness, and just a kiss of oak. The hops in this beer are long gone except for a wisp of spice and citrus, but its not that they are overwhelmed by the Tennesee whiskey, rather that this beer has been aged for a quite awhile. Also, lets be honest. Big Hoppy Monster is really not all that hoppy to begin with, its more of a malt bomb with a layering of hops on top. The barrel aging and whiskey beautifully meld with the malt here and create a truly delicious beer. I wouldn't say this is hot, but it is a tad sweet, and although I drank two, that was probably my limit. Wonderful stuff.

Georgiabeer, Jul 31, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Wasn't listed on the menu, but apparently Leon's still had some of this from an earlier Terrapin night. What to do?

Big Sloppy was a dark brown shade with a thick, luxuriant tan head. The smell was remarkable. The sweet caramel malt and oak complimented each other very well both in the aroma and the flavor. The oak really stood out to the point that it reminded me of the Oak aged Yeti.

While Big Hoppy Monster is very enjoyable itself, the oak aging really improved the overall flavor and depth of this beer. The hops were rounded down to the point that they had more of a complimentary effect on the sweet caramel and vanilla flavors, without much of the bitterness in fresh Big Hoppy Monster. Raisin, toffee and a little pine flavors were also noticeable.

I experienced this beer as more of a wee heavy/strong ale than an Amber or Red Ale. The mouthfeel was equally great, combining full body with smooth carbonation and a just a little stickyness.

I didn't know what to expect from this beer as I thought oak-aging really dulled Terrapin's Wake 'n Bake. But I think this one may be my favorite Terrapin beer.

GeezLynn, Aug 20, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

jophish17, Nov 14, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

Gravity pour of this year's (2009, brewed between six and eight weeks ago) BHM aged in whiskey at the Brick Store.

Pours a cloudy dark amber color with a half-finger, large-bubbled tan head. The head recedes into a thin ring around the glass leaving decent lacing.

Smells of robust caramel malts and pine hops with a good deal of whiskey and vanilla. The hops are much more prevalent than they were in the other BSM I tried, obviously due to the age.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Large amounts of caramel malt flavors up front are joined simeltaneously by pine and slightly floral hop flavors in addition to bourbon flavors. Midway through the sip the whiskey flavor dies down a bit and allows hints of earthy vanilla through before fading into a solidly bitter ending leaving pine hops and vanilla lingering on the palate.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a good thickness with light and soft carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I could have a few of these entirely too easily.

Overall I am a fan of this beer but I have to say I'm a bigger fan of a version that's aged longer. Still, if you've had the aged version the younger version is certainly worth a shot.

glid02, Oct 14, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

Appearance: Opaque, brown body with an inch of lasting, off-white foam.

Smell: Caramel-scented maltiness with full bourbony accents smelling of vanilla, toasted coconut shavings, and wood. That wood note grows a bit upon warming.

Taste: Caramel maltiness with a rich, heavy sweetness. More coconut, vanilla, and oak. As with the aroma, the oakiness intensifies as it warms. Slight underlying bitterness, but the hop flavors are long gone, traded in for Jack Daniels, it would seem. Warming, bourbony taste lingers beyond the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-low carbonation.

Drinkability: Quite good! Certainly won't be pleasing any hop heads, but fans of bourbon barrel aging should enjoy it.

ChainGangGuy, Jun 15, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +8.3%

Thank you Brick Store Pub, the 12th Anniversary is certain to provide me with many other brews I have always wanted to taste. Served in a 10 oz. stemmed glass. An almost murky brown color with a one finger off white head. Nice lacing left by a head that retained some strength as I sipped. Note: this beer was served a bit cold, when warmed a lot more aroma and flavor came through. Strong whiskey aroma coming off this, almost all you get in the nose, a very slight sweet malt hint there in the background. A first sip brought more whiskey, at this point the hops must be completely gone, but Big Hoppy, as Lee said, could be just as easily be called Big Malty, so there is nice rich, sweet caramel malt flavor, as well. Definitely a bit boozy, I'd almost call it a barrel aged barleywine at this point. A nice warm sensation as it rests in your mouth. I was happy to have had two, simply because I had to take advantage, but one is probably enough of this slow sipper. I didn't know what to expect from this, but I am definitely very happy with the result.

bhalter8, Jun 19, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

icehawk, Aug 09, 2013
4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

Had while at Brewvival! Served from tap into a sampler Brewvival imperial pint. Poured a murky dark brown with a one finger tan head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, slight wood, and sweet alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, wood, sweet alcohol, and subtle cream. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. I am really glad I got to try this one as I have been looking to for a LONG time now. The flavor was very mellow on this one which was surprising, but in a good way. The flavors that were here would not have been quite as good or worked in unison as well if they have been really robust. Very nice job on this one!

thagr81us, Mar 01, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

On tap at the Brick Store as part of their 12th Anniversary festivities. I've been looking forward to this for some time as I am huge, huge fan of the regular BHM.

The pour is a murky chestnut brown with a big creamy off-white head that leaves lots of thick lacing and settles in as a solid cap for the duration.

The aroma is more about the barrel character than the underlying beer. The dominant aroma are caramel malts, vanilla and a big whiskey presence that you can smell from a few feet away. The hops that I really love in the fresh BHM are long gone and this (as some have said already) is closer to a barleywine than a hoppy red.

The taste is just as sweet as the aroma with lots of sugary fruit, caramel malts and the ever-present taste of the barrel. The whiskey is there up front and leaves a big burn in the finish. Again, I don't think I could detect hops in the taste at all.

The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied for an amber/red and maybe a tad light for a barleywine, depending on what you're looking for. It's got soft carbonation and the feel is mostly driven by the whiskey barrels.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer, but it's one of those barrel aged beers that makes it very difficult to tell what the underlying beer was. A very good barley-wine style beer that doesn't resemble the Big Hoppy Monster in very many ways.

gford217, Jun 20, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer was brewed on a limited basis and released (maybe only once) at the Terrapin Brewau on June 7th, 2008.

*** 2006 Big Hoppy Monster aged for 14 months in Jack Daniels barrels ***

It poured out slighlty darker brown than the ordinary Big Hoppy but generally similar with a thin, off-white head.

The smell was of hops, alcohol, and definite whiskey.

Taste reminded me of big hoppy and a shot of JD, which makes sense. The warming effect of the alcohol was noticeable and easily blamed on the whiskey aging. Some vanilla, oaky notes come out (maybe from the whiskey itself, maybe from the wood of the barrel).

I enjoyed this beer a lot and hope they decide to brew this regularly.

Big78CJ, Jun 11, 2008
3.78/5  rDev -4.8%

On draft at Cervezas.

Light chocolate brown in color, "Yoohoo" type. Thin lacing on top. A little swirl gives it more due to high carbonation. Smells a blend of booze and caramel. Lots going on in taste. Oak, vanilla, some fruit and sweet malt in the background, but mostly bourbon taking over. Definitely feel the burn. Medium bodied and a sipper. Tough to repeat this if you're not into the booziness of it.

polisanl, Jun 23, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -6.8%

On-tap at Brewvival 2011.

Pours a ruddy brown with a small, creamy ivory head. Smells like sweet oak, hops, and caramel malt. I believe this is aged in JD barrels, but I'm not getting much whiskey aromas or flavor, just generic "oak". Flavor is on-par with the nose, mostly hops and caramel malt with a subtle oakiness. Surprisingly creamy, with a medium mouthfeel and crisp carbonation. Not mind-blowing, but I'm glad I got to try it.

jsanford, Mar 30, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -26.2%

An 8oz draft at the Porter Terrapin Takeover 5/21/11

A - A dark born, with lots of white head and tons of sticky lace

S - Wow, bourbon assault! Sweet malts. I am amazed at how much the bourbon from the oak aging overwhelms the aroma of the hoppy monster

T - Lots of bourbon. Very boozy. It overwhelms any taste that was provided by the hoppy monster

M - Highly carbonated, full bodied

O - Very dissapointed. I love the Hoppy Monster. But maybe each barrel of oak-aged comes out different, judging from other reviews. Mine was way too upfront with Bourbon in your face than my preference

BeerDawgs, May 23, 2011
1.1/5  rDev -72.3%

I think mine went bad. The bar disagreed. I won't be returning.

A. Slight haze, dark amber color. I was a little bothered by the fact there was no head.

S. Smelled like prunes.

T. Tasted like soured prunes. I couldn't get it out of my mouth. 2 hours later and I can still taste it. I hate prunes, my dad used to make me drink prune juice when I was a kid...I will never forget that.

M. Not much to say here, taste overpowered any concern for mouthfeel.

O. I have been brewing for 7 years and have thrown away 6 batches that tasted better than this stuff. Probably one of the worst things I have tasted. I am a realist, I can understand not everything is perfect, I would try it again because I love the original of this beer and the vast majority of the beers from this company.

lowriderdog37, Apr 14, 2011