Terrapin SunRay Wheat Beer - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: ncvbc on 09-27-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin SunRay Wheat Beer Alström Bros

WOW!! This beer has taken me by surprise. This is probably only my third wheat beer ever but I think it happens to be one of the best beers I have ever tried. The appearance is dark in color with lots of carbonation. Smell is very sweet! The taste is beyond explanation you just have to try it!

4.95/5  rDev +40.6%

This beer pours a thin light golden color with a decent amount of head and lacing. Heavy aroma of wheat and citrus. Flavor is a crisp wheat and honey combination and a sweet aftertaste. An excellent beer brewed with Tupelo honey from the Savannah Bee Company. This is an exceptional session beer.

4.72/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I haven't been into wheat beers, but this one is great!! Only downer to me is the low ABV of only 4% which practically makes it a "lite" beer.

A: Pale gold to yellow, pure white head which dies quickly, little to no lacing on the glass.

S: A sweet smell, strong with honey, cloves vanilla.

T: BANANA BREAD!!! Big on the bananas, honey, vanilla. Slight wheat flavor too. No alcohol taste at all. No bitterness, finishes with a combo of honey, vanilla and hemp rope.

Overall: I really like this very drinkable beer!! Price is low, but quality is very high. I highly recommend this for a cold, summer treat!!

4.63/5  rDev +31.5%

This is by far and away one of the best wheat beers I've had. I found this in Georgia on a trip to visit my brother and I really wish I'd picked up more than 6 of these bad boys!

Poured into a Duvel glass this beer is a pale straw color with a nice cloudiness that makes me salivate!

The aroma is of cloves, orange peel and other citrus notes. There is a yeastiness that makes me think Wit but overall the beer is very much a wheat.

The taste is clean, crisp, and one of the best taking wheat ales around. I love my Wiehenstephaner and Paulner but this is a beautiful beer with a great taste brewed right here in the states. I like it much better than the FFF's gumballhead.

Mouthfeel is light and whispy. There is a really gentle aspect to this beer. I would love to drink a few of these but I don't want to kill them all off in one sitting.

Drinkability is off the charts with a low alcohol content and plenty of taste without being too heavy this beer is a champion in my honest opinion. I'll definately buy more of this one!

4.33/5  rDev +23%

I got this bottle from the Terrapin variety case that I bought from Bryn Mawr Beverage in Rosemont, PA. I poured it into a pint glass.
Appearance: The body is a cloudy yellow color. The head was a white color, some sticky lacing, ok retention and small sized bubbles.
Smell: The aromas are banana, orange and black pepper.
Taste: The flavors are identical to the aroma.
Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is smooth with a very thin body.
Drinkability: This beer is good
Don't drink and review.

4.3/5  rDev +22.2%

Poured from cold bottle into a pint glass. The beer pours a hazy goldenrod hue with thin bleached white head foaming up .5 cm and fading to a sturdy edge layer. Aroma is lemon zest, yeasty dough and some banana, also a bit of cloves sweeten the scent. Very nice complex, yet clean nose. Sometimes all those smells just get muddled together these are distinct and I enjoy them.
First sip reveals a lite crisp body with fine and slightly tingly carbonation.
Flavor is sweet and fruity with a bit of wheat twang. Definitely some lemon hits and finishes with a bit of cloves sticking to my palate. I dont get any real hop notes and the 4.5 ABV is certainly not to be found. A well crafted tasty beer that is a great for summer and this crazy heat wave. I would buy again and recommend when looking for refreshing summer brews!

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma is predominantly a sweet one, of banana and some clove spiciness in the background. Nothing too strong.

Very cloudy and blonde as one would expect for style.

Taste is definitely a sweet one, full of banana esters. It says it is brewed with honey, so that could contribute to that as well. As expected, cloves are present as well, but they seem to be secondary to the sweetness. This goes all the way through to the finish, where there's some citrus present, and it seems that the beer gets a twinge sweeter yet (again, the honey?). Definitely finishes on a refreshing note.

As a hefe fan, this gets my stamp of approval. Has all the characteristics of a good hefe, and the sweetness isn't to the point where it becomes cloying.

4.22/5  rDev +19.9%

i really like this beer. being new to wheat beers this is a great one to start off with. smooth and easy to drink, with just the right touch of sweet. i hope i can find this one close to home. might just have to put it in my own bar. savannah bee com. honey, i need to look into them.

4.1/5  rDev +16.5%

Recieved this bottle as an extra thanks Bmanning!

Poured from a bottle in to my Aventinus glass.
The brew pours a nice yellow and copper color. The head was a little ruff to get but possibly could of been just my beer. The aroma is what you expect from a good hefeweizen. There was some very nice fruit and citrus smells coming from this brew and it contributed allot to the flavor. The taste was good and very light which I enjoyed as it was a very hot day when I had this. The wheat in this brew is strong but does not overkill the other flavors by any means. The fruit and citrus flavors support this brew and do a great job at it. I have to say I enjoyed this brew and if I am out of state will pick it up for sure.

4.08/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is alive with fruits and spices. Taste is good, lots of spice, some fruits, very flavorfull. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is a beer worth seeking out.

4.03/5  rDev +14.5%

Terrapin's SunRay Wheat Beer is made with Tupelo honey, and you can smell it in the aroma and taste it in the flavor.

Upon pouring it appears like most any other golden beer, with a clear yellow gold body and streams of steadily rising bubbles beneath a short cap of bright white foam. It's a good looking glass of beer, but unfortunately the head retention is limited, and it leaves very little lacing behind.

The aroma, however, displays something unusual. It's fragrant... sweet and floral, with just the tiniest edge of earthiness. There's sweet malt there, for sure, and it has a wheaty note as well, but the honey is also noticeable. As it warms, soft clove and a mild hint of banana emerge, adding to its bouquet. Very nice.

In the mouth it's pretty standard again, with a light body (although it does have a dextrinous edge) and a crisp carbonation. Not that that's a bad thing - I think it fits perfectly!

The flavor is lightly tart and gently lemony at the outset, but it quickly warms to reveal wheat and honey across the middle, and then some sweetish grainy malt, floral hops and clove in the long-lingering finish.

Quite nice! It's a refreshing summer-quencher that balances between subtly tart and roundly sweet, and the honey adds just a tiny dollop of unique character that makes it interesting and memorable. Worth trying!

4.03/5  rDev +14.5%

From what I can remember from having this beer I liked it. It has been a long time since I had this beer, but I do remember that I liked it. So far every Terrapin beer that I have tried I have liked. I wish that they did not retire this beer, because I would go have another one if they did not retire it.

4.03/5  rDev +14.5%

I am a sucker for Terrapin beer. Poured a bottle into my trusty pint glass. Not any sort of amazing spectacle but looks like the typical wheat beer. No head clear yellow liquid but nice streams of carbonation rising to the occasion. Smells like a wheat field light summery scents coming from this one. Light crisp flavor wheat notes. This is a perfect summer beer flavor and ABV is light enough to session all night. Carbonation creates a refreshing mouthfeel. Pleasing for sure nice beer for spring/summer would buy this again for sure.

S: Soft clover honey, floral, lavender almost, some hefeweizen notes, ripe banana in particular.

L: Golden yellow, clear, white head that dissipates.

T: Ripe bananas give way to a soft bready malt with a touch of honey. Mild herbal bitterness leads to sweet honey finish.

M: Medium bodied, medium-low carbonation.

A really solid wheat beer, a tad sweet for a summer beer, but not bad.

Hazy straw colored beer with a thin wispy head. Lot's of carbonation.
Wonderful aroma of honey, citrus and other tropical fruits. Smells sweet. I'm suprised the honey is so noticable in the aroma.
Flavor is typical for the style. Bananna, tropical fruits, spices (clove maybe), a bit peppery. This is a very sweet beer. There's kind of a candy like sweetness that detracts from the flavor a bit. It's kind of like a bananna taffy like flavor.
Good lively mouthfeel. Very drinkable. This is a good summertime beer but there's so many readily available choices for the style. This one doesn't really stand out.

Poured into a weizen glass.

A - Hazy pear colored brew that appears to be unfiltered. Thinner head than I like to see on a hefe, but some washy lace was apparent.

S - Bubble gum and bananas. Doesn't smell too artificial, which sometimes seems to happen with the bubble gum aromas.

T - Banana phenol, citrus, lemon peel, more bubble gum all make up the body. Somewhat like the German style, but a little heavy on the gum.

M - Thin bodied with a sharp carbonation level. Finishes slightly watery. The low point of the brew I must say.

D - Refreshing and overall pretty tasty. Serviceable for an American hefeweizen.

Reviewed from notes, had at Surf Taco in Jackson, NJ.

Appearance: Cloudy golden yellow, minimal white head due to the pour by the bartender, leaved decent lacing.

Smell: Spicy, nutty, lots of banana and clove.

Taste: Light banana and clove up front with good wheatiness. A good bit of fruitiness with it as well. Has a hint of honey.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and has a creamy smooth texture, with a slightly dry finish

Overall: I thought it was quite good. It went well with my taco and chips with salsa. Only problem with it is it has to compete with a very crowded field of hefeweizens, and the added honey doesn't distinguish it enough, though I would gladly buy it again.

Terrapin SunRay Wheat Beer from Terrapin Beer Company