Terrapin Gamma Ray - Terrapin Beer Company

Georgia, United States

Wheatwine |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 10-09-2008

Originally Side Project #3 released in 22oz bottles, now the summer seasonal on Terrapin's Monster beer tour and available in 12 oz bottles by the 4 pack.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Gamma Ray Alström Bros
Ratings: 467 | Reviews: 353
4.97/5  rDev +31.8%

12 ounce fresh bottle poured into a Unibroue tulip. First time I've had one fresh, all the others I've had have been the side project version out of the cellar. While the cellared version amazes me each time I break one out with it's graceful aging, I am very, very pleased and suprised with fresh Gamma Ray. This may be the easiest drinking 10+% ABV beer on this planet, or any other.

4.97/5  rDev +31.8%

This is only my 2nd wheatwine I ever tasted...And now I want to try them all!!!

Appearance: Rich deep golden color, opaque in the glass and with a golden-white one finger head, decent lacing on glass.

Smell: Definite honey, wheat, bananas, and bubblegum.

Taste (!!) Wow!! Wonderful sweet front, middle, back of tongue without being cloying. Flavors of honey, orange, cloves, wheat, and blended very well together!! The alcohol taste is very well hidden in this 11% ABV wheatwine. The finish is cloves and honey, again without being cloying. The mouth feel is great, thick and creamy.

Overall: Although I am more a rookie with rookie palate, I will buy every bottle of this I can find. It has impressed me more than most craft wheat beers. I highly recommend this...A GREAT summer cooler beer!!!

4.7/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

C. Cloudy
H. Dark yellow
N. Strong sweetness, hints of banana, not as much honey as it claims

HOLLYYYY TURTLE. This was a beer that I have looked forward to since we picked it up. This was amazing. The attack is nothing but a banana smothered in honey. It calms down a bit with just the banana notes, and then finishes up with a sweet but not too sweet after taste. This beer is just like the quiet blond in class that when you take her home she is in your face and knows exactly what to do. THIS IS A SEXY BEER! If you don't get your hands on this then that's just a shame. After this one, look forward to more posts on the newer Terrapin beers.

4.69/5  rDev +24.4%

Sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter. The beer has been in my basement for about 2 years waiting to be consumed on a night just like tonight.
The beer pours a bright clear copper to almost gold hue with loud fizzy carbonation that froths up about 1 cm of rocky eggshell white head that fades rapidly to a sturdy edge layer and wispy islands.
Aroma is sweet and fruity with peaches and pears and a bit of floral honey mixed in. Ironically I have some Savannah Bee Company at my desk at work and it was used in this beer.
I dont get any hops or booze on the nose.
First sip reveals a sticky textured fairly thick bodied brew with very fine and spacious carbonation.
Flavor is what the nose advertised with sweet fruity malt dominating the profile. I get peaches, pears, caramel, and some white grapes. There is just a little booze on the finish, but the beer is VERY dangerously drinkable and I am finishing this bottle waaay to fast to be good for my sobriety. Good thing Im just going to bed after this review.
Im not sure if this was hot when it was young, but it is excellent right now. If you stashed a bottle, send it to me, or at least enjoy it now!

4.66/5  rDev +23.6%

22 oz bottle

A: Pours a hazy copper/golden with nearly no head to speak of. No head = no retention.

S: Sweet and spicy. Honey definitely comes through with a splash of fruit and bubblegum. Wheat gives it a certain Belgian character, in between a wit and a strong pale ale. Very surprised at the character at the aroma.

T: Again, reminds me a lot of a Belgian ale. Sweet with a decent bitter punch in the back in and again with some of that bubblegum. Bit of funk almost, hop character is very earthy. I just keep getting a Belgian wit/Belgian pale character and even, at times, the ever slightest hint of a saison likeness. It's really a bit hard to describe at times, and I mean this is the best possible way.

M/D: Medium to full bodied, crisp, light to medium carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good for me, a sipper for sure though.

Insanely unique beer, in my opinion. Just brings so much to the table. I expected a huge, deep, dark beer to creep out of the bottle, but what I got was just the opposite. At first sight, it doesn't look like much, but the aroma and taste really punch you right in the face with incredible uniqueness. Admittedly, the 11% and "wine" moniker do start to hit you after a few gulps, but the sheer boldness of this beer will have me coming back for more. My only complaint is the appearance, but the rest of the beer is just great.

It saddens me slightly that this is a one off. Brew more!!!

4.65/5  rDev +23.3%

Review is from notes

A; Orange, no real head to speak of, lots of bubbles, a bit cloudy

S: Wow - honey! Very interesting smells like candy and spicy hops

T: Bitter up front, honey comes through as a reward, sugar very present

M: Very wet, low carbonation, easy to drink

D: High - I will need more of these!

4.6/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

220z. bottle

Beer pours easy, not too much head with a deep orange color. settles nicely, leaving a white ring of lace around the glass.

Lets talk about the smell, great stuff here, big banana smell with sweetness, very faint hops if perceptible at all

Taste is exceptional, sweet and banana up front but smooth an warming on the way down, great transition. This resembles an incredibly well crafted tripel.

Mooouth feel is great, exactly where it should be. Thick form the malt but the abv. is subtle adding to the overall body.

drinkability is OUT OF CONTROL. It feels like a sessionable 11% abv. beer which is waaaay too dangerous. So good.

For god's sake get your hands on this beer via trading or whatever it takes, you will thank yourself and so will you tastebuds. At $5.99 bottle it's a steal.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Not sure of the age on this bottle but its at least a year and a half. Has notches for best by but without a year on it, and at 11% I can't see this thing really going bad.

Golden amber color with impressive clarity. 2 finger active white head falls away to a lace rather quickly. Miscarriage grapes and honey on the nose with lots of fruit including cherries strawberries and melon.

Almost reminds me of a big Belgian brew. Sweet exotic berry fruits up front. Touch of wheat adds a bit of roundness to the big thick body. Dark fruits and thick honey like taste on the finish coats the throat, alcohol barely noticeable. Caramel rides along the tongue with spicy herbal flavors and.due berries and fruits including apples and pears.

mead-like

Age has really let the complexity of this beer shine with lots of subtle.fruit flavors that all balance each other our without being too sweet. Alcohol is there but barely plays a part. Honey soothed the throat. If you can find a bottle pick it up!

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured from the bottle into my Dogfish Head snifter

A--Deep orange color that is vibrant in the light. Had a very light cream-colored head. I tried to do an aggressive pour, but it didn't work very well.

S--Wonderful. I have to start there. It smells of sweet, heavenly honey. There's a nice smell of alcohol on the back of the nose that goes with it to. It lets you know exactly what you are getting into. Honey, malts, dark fruits, and alcohol. Honestly, this is beautiful.

T--Taste follows the smell. The honey hits the tongue first and leaves a nice sweet aftertaste that is soon followed by the alcohol flavor. The alcohol has a nice bitter taste on it which contrasts with the sweetness of the honey and fruit nicely

M--Not overly powerful from the hops. Just leaves the mouth feeling good.

D--This is wonderful. I can see myself drinking this with my girlfriend on the back porch in the nice summer heat. Thanks, Terrapin. It's another hit.

4.49/5  rDev +19.1%

Terrapin's (Side Project) Gamma Ray pours up lightly with a modest carbonation that creates a wafer thin whitish head that just manages to cover the translucent golden peach-pale orange body. The fragrant, floral nose is almost mead-like with a pleasant herbal spiciness from the addition of Tupelo honey followed by a ripe fruitiness e.g. bruised banana, peach pit, orange blossom that is carried nicely by a soft, sweet wheat graininess. Hint of fusels from the alcohol. The rich flavor starts off slightly cloying with a layered, honey maltiness that's underscored by a light bitterness which creates a complex, fruity, spicy e.g. cinnamon stick, sweet warmed honey finish. The alcohol threatens to overtake this one towards the end, but manages to stay contained within this smooth textured, wheatwine. It's truly an amazing balancing act considering all of the components. Here's to the crew at the Terrapin Beer Co. for creating this mean green, wheat monster!

CHEERS! Beertracker

Trader's Note: Many thanks to tjbartjr for this tasty honey elixir!

4.48/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Split a bottle that was cellared for three years. Poured into a Terrapin snifter.

Appearance: Dark gold with a tint of orange. Much prettier than any of those college football oranges (but hey, this is an Athens brew, what do you expect). Hazy. Little carbonation.

Smell: This shit is bananas, B A N A N A S. Seriously, bananas foster and some malt on the nose and then a lot more bananas.

Taste: Follows the nose exactly. Bananas and brown sugar (maybe demrara sugar...?) = bananas foster. Very rich. Slightly boozy, but the age and the richness mask it well. Maybe some slight caramel. In a weird way, tt seems to me like a blonde version of a Belgian Quad, even more than a Belgian Tripel. Swap the banana for the stone fruits and the demerara for the chocolate. This makes for a fantastic desert beer (at least the aged version).

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, somewhat coats the mouth. A little velvety.

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Electric hazy yellow, with a hint of orange. Could use a bit more head.

I love a hefewizen with a big bana presence. This has more banana aroma and flavor than any hefe I have ever had. It has a bit of Belgian Tripel fruit as well.

Boozy, fruity, and packed with banana of course. A bit hot. A lot going on here.

Creamy and rich.

I am going back for seconds if there are still some in Nashville. Unique and tasty.

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Finally this beer is out! Thanks much to Brickstoredave and pghlee for sharing. This is number 3 in the Terrapin Side Project series. The bottle says Wheatwine Ale Brewed with Honey, and more specifically that it is brewed with obscene amounts of locally grown Tupelo and Sourwood Honeys from Savannah Bee Company. I like these honey's from Savannah Bee a lot. Very interesting honeys with a lot of character from one of the better honey producers in the country. It shows in the beer. This beer is pretty sweet, which means it didn't all ferment out and they must have added some pretty late in the process or so much that it couldn't all be converted. You can really taste the honey. I don't just mean sweetness either, you can taste a delicious fruitiness and earthiness from the honey itself.

The beer pours a beautiful honeyed golden that almost glows, but there is almost no head. Very nice aromas that are slightly waxy and have elements of pear, banana, cardamom, and sweet, fruity and floral honey. The taste is long and complex with a nuttiness, honey, wax, bitter herbs, pine, banana, and cardamom. The haunting woodsy taste of the honey with fruit, earth, and forest is in there as part and parcel of those flavors. The mouthfeel is super smooth, perhaps a bit waxy, creamy, and sweet. Just delightful. I warn you though- this is a sweet beer, if complex as well. I happen to love that. Anyone who likes artisinal honeys should really like this beer as well. As a wheatwine it is on the sweeter side but not at all out of whack with others I've had. By far my favorite sideproject yet.

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

I was really excited to see this at my liquor store as they haven't had great luck bringing in any of the one-offs from Terrapin in the past. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. The beer poured a gorgeous ruby straw color with a white head that disappeared almost immediately. The smell is ripe bananas and floral honey. The honey smell definitely gives some depth to nose. The taste is fruity and sweet with a little bite of medicinal herb flavor which adds some complexity. Its a rich beer with honey sweetness which drops the drinkability a bit, but its definitely one of a kind and a beer I look forward to trying again. Keep up the good work Terrapin.

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

12 oz bottle. I bought it at the Cheese Shop (Wine and Cheese?-- cant remember) in Williamsburg after having it on draft at Green Leaf the night before.

Appearance: A clear, dark golden color. The head is thin and spotty, and leaves something to be desired. Rapidly falling curtains of lace and wine-like legs. It looks pretty good overall in my snifter.

Smell: My first sniff said "bubblegum." It smells very sweet and very fruity. Sweet light colored fruits of all kinds including banana, apples, pears, etc. Almost like a belgian with the yeasty breadiness removed. I really like it.

Taste: Again very sweet and fruity. Tastes like it smells. Some bitterness in the middle, and very full malty sweetness all the way through the finish

Mouthfeel: This is a thick, sticky, syrupy beer. I've read to be carefull brewing with honey because it can cause thinning of mouthfeel. I guess thats more than offset by huge amounts of wheat and malt.

Drinkability: This would be a great beer to sit and sip. Its complex and there's lots to appreciate. For some reason though, I can't stop taking big gulps of it. Really good. Why the hell is this a summer seasonal?

4.45/5  rDev +18%

22 oz bomber from the great package store Five Points Bottle Shop in Athens, GA. Served up in a Terrapin snifter. Had this beer many'a times and never got around to reviewing it. Mostly because I have spent all my time previously just enjoying this fine beer. Lets review it now, shall we?

A: This beer pours a very, vibrant, glowing orange/brown color. This beer seems to absorb all the light in the room, making it just radiate. Held to the light, it just glows all around in a nice bright orange. A really vigourous pour only yields about a quarter finger of white head. That head doesn't have much lasting power, but that which stays tries its damnedest to put some sticky ass lacing on the glass. This beer also has a slight haze to it.

S: Smell starts off with a wierd smell that I can only liken to a Reisling. Then comes the wheat goodness. Lots of nice wheaty smells with a wonderful banana smell coming out. Then comes that smooth sweet ass honey. That honey has a very nice, sweet, almost candied aroma. Just smells great.

T: This is where this sucker shines. The first thing that comes out is that wonderful honey sweetness. That sweetness has a great balance and really doesn't get out of control. Then comes the wheat. This tastes like a beefed up hefe at times with a really nice banana and bubblegum presence. Just big time, beautiful hefe taste. There is a slight pine presence coming out thanks to the hops, but it isn't overpowering what is going on in here. Slight white wine alcohol flavor rounds it out Everything is damned near perfect.

M: Mouthfeel is on the really heavy side of medium in body. I might actually put this into the full bodied category. This beer has a really nice oiley, sticky quality thanks to the viscosity of this brew. ABV is high, but its not out of control with the heat. Just a nice warming quality in the throat and tum tum. There is also slight white wine tingle of carbonation in the back of the throat. Aftertaste is of just some really nice wheat and honey flavors.

D: For being such a big ass beer sitting at 11%, I can drink this shit all day. It just has a great taste and aroma, and it just goes down so easily. This beer sits really nicely and just is great. Stupid good beer. I just love the hell out of this and I am glad I bought a case. Another hit from the great Terrapin brewery. I certainly hope the rumors I have heard about this becoming the new Summer Monster beer are true. This should be in rotation at that brewery because it is that good.

4.44/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a cloudy amber with some orange in it, one finger head that fades away, no lacing probably due to high alcohol.

Wow, the smell is of wheat, honey and orange. You get a bit of alcohol on the nose too, warms your nose a bit.

The taste goes from a sweet honey and banana then leaves a taste of wheat and tangerine in your mouth. The alcohol and the banana flavor works really well against each other and is one of the first times that I actually like the taste of the alcohol. Tons of flavor and all of it is delicious.

Hefeweizen on steroids is what this beer is, I will order or buy this beer for sure the next time I see it.

4.44/5  rDev +17.8%

All I have to say is thank you, specifically Dustin for letting me try this phenominal beer!

I loved this beer. My second favorite beer from Terrapin next to the monster.

The nose on this beer is basically the combination of a wheat based beer, a belgian dubble, and fruity notes.

The taste is really an amplified version of the smell, it's basically like drinking a combination of a high quality banana based wheat beer with a dubble belgian with zings of fruit such as dark grapes.

I loved it, get it, you'll thank me, and terrapin

4.42/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours a cloudy golden body with a small head that dissipates rather quickly.

The smell is fantastic, sweet and aromatic, how a wheatwine should be. I look forward to drinking this bad boy.

Big and sweet wheat wine, the honey is very present here. Lots of sweetness and sugar, quite a terrific wheatwine. This beer has a nice presence on the palate, lots of sweetness and flavor create a very enjoyable wheatwine, I am definitely a fan. Pleasantly surprised here, the honey is very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is full and pleasant. Carbonation is medium, nice finish, very good.

Quite a drinkable beer, one of the best wheatwines out there.

4.39/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A very cloudy, golden yellow beer with orange hues throughout. Not much head to it. The smell was very much reminiscent of a Belgian brew, with loads of yeasty funkiness to it. Citrus, honey and light grainy aromas to it as well. Some esters try to escape but are hardly noticeable.

Has strong Belgian yeasty and citrus flavors, followed by a huge malty kick that I wasn't expecting. Light banana and clove notes to it as well. Very heavy in body, despite the look and smell. semi dry aftertaste that is very sweet. This beer throws you for a loop, and I loved it!

4.37/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Vintage 2011. This has turned into a mead/ wheat wine at this point.

4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

I poured this Orange/Gold cloudy nectar into my Sam Adamns Perfect Pint Glass. It has an inch or so of rich creamy head. The first sniff I'm getting bananas, alcohol, oven baked biscuits. I can't wait to dive into this. The beer is so rich, almost like a banana bread. The alcohol is well hidden in the taste. The honey sweetens this nicely and its not too overdone. The carbonation is very soothing and makes your mouth long for another pull. Its a very tasty concoction. This is definitely a winner in my book. Thanks to Jyounger30 for the hook up on this one.

4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured into a glass goblet and noticed a nice cloudy golden color with a thin white head. The smell is rather light, maybe a honey hint at most. I feel the appearance and smell defy the taste of this beer. This beer does not overwhelm in either of those categories, but I personally, love the taste. The taste of clove and barely bite are nicely balanced by the wheat and honey additions. The combination is absolutely delicious, and makes for the most drinkable 11% ABV beer I can think of. I seem to be in the minority with this opinion, but I really feel this beer is unique, but tasty.

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Stopped by for a quick one at the DR and found this tasty.

Pours a beutiful rusty gold, cloudy, slight carbonation with a thin lacey head.

The nose is exquisite. Bananas, honey, citrus with some grassey malt. On the tongie, nice smooth honey coats the tongue with a nice malt aftertaste.

This beer has nice mouthfeel. Easy to drink with little cloying. Good body for the style, nice balanced. Nice drinking beer, I plan to have another.

4.32/5  rDev +14.6%

a: piraat snifter, pours a thin white head that reduces to a ring around the glass, the beer is an attractive orange golden in color

s: full wheat aroma with big whiffs of real honey and some underlying crystal malt, huge yeasty ester profile - banana, overripe pear, peach syrup, sweet alcohol, cotton candy, orange jell-o, monstrously fruity, fresh herbs in the background, a bit over the top but I'm really digging it

m: carbonation smooth and just under medium, creamy full body

t: almost chewy with a thick complex of wheat malt, honey, and caramel, a big yeasty presence gives mashed banana, that syrup from those steel cans of fruit of middle school lunch days, honeydew melon, the swallow is immediately followed probably the most distinct honey flavor I've found in any beer - maybe thanks to the bold character of sourwood, completely overwhelmed grassy hops offer up a touch of spice and mild bitterness, sweet alcohol on the tongue hits the stomach with a warming sensation, yummers

d: definitely one to sip on, the sweetness (and booze, though it's not terribly evident) limits drinkability, but I wouldn't sacrifice an ounce of flavor for a higher number here

12 oz. from Whole Foods Raleigh