Terrapin Gamma Ray - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

Wheatwine |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Originally Side Project #3 released in 22oz bottles, now the summer seasonal on Terrapin's Monster beer tour and available in 12 oz bottles by the 4 pack.

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 10-09-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Gamma Ray Alström Bros
3.55/5  rDev -5.6%

Yet another beer from Terrapin that demands a new style (wheat wine). Aroma was nice. Strong honey and alcohol. Pour was a thick syrupy medium gold with big stagnant bubbles and no head. Taste was very big and alcoholic. The honey and alcohol drown everything else out. Can pick up a hint of tangy wheat in the aftertaste. Little carbnonation.

HomebrewPgh, Nov 29, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

22oz bottle into a Duvel snifter. Pours a nice hazy pale orange with a thin off-white head that diminishes to a ring and leaves slight lacing. Aroma is sweet malts, bubblegum and a hint of Earthy hops. Taste is a nice blend of wheat malt and lingering hops, sweet bubblegum is predominant with hops coming through in the finish. The beer is on the heavy side of medium with low carbonation and a dry smooth honey texture. This is the first beer of this style I have tried, and I must say, I am impressed.

atsprings, Nov 29, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +15.7%

Cloudy yellow body with smallish white head. Leaves a little bit of lacing behind.

Smell comes with lots of bannana and coriander, alcohol.

The dominant flavor here is definitely bannana. Very sweet with some wheat twang in there. Some of the sweetness comes from the fruit notes, but the honey features a role there too. Notes of coriander. Fairly hot and boozy throughout, especially in the finish. Reminds me a little of a Belgian strong pale ale. Despite being boozy, at 11% it's no bad. This is a tasty beer.

A pretty heavy mouthfeel, maybe even a little syrupy, but nt bad.

At 11% this is drinkable, A nice beer for sure.

Hojaminbag, Nov 26, 2008
2.33/5  rDev -38%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Chimay glass. 11/25/08.

Pours a golden orange color with a thin half-finger of whitish head. The head disappeared quickly to almost nothing. Aroma is strong with wheat and malt, and a fair amount of rubbing alcohol.

Taste has a lot of light citrus (orange peel, lemon), wheat, sweet malt, and a touch of fruity sweet honey. Some spice (coriander, clove) and banana as well. A bit too sweet for me. The rubbing alcohol from the aroma makes an appearance again in the taste. (Note: I have not actually tasted rubbing alcohol, but the taste is what I would expect from rubbing alcohol based on the smell.) The taste is too medicinal and boozy.

Feel is medium-full bodied and slightly low on the carbonation. Some warming from the alcohol, and there's a lingering alcohol aftertaste. Drinkability is low - between the unpleasant taste and the high ABV (11%) it's just not easy to drink.

Overall, I'm not impressed by this. The taste is overly ridden with alcohol and too medicinal.

bkilpatr, Nov 26, 2008

A - Hazed golden brown with dirty caramel hues when held up to light. Very thin head and what there is fades quickly. Thin rings of lace left in the glass.

S - Big fruity esters dominate the nose. Some banana and raisin come to mind with an underlying spice of corriander. A little on the boozy side, but hey, it is 11%.

T - Sweet and spicy up front. Lots of fruity alcohol with banana being the primary flavor. A nice spice to it with taste of clove and corriander. Almost tastes as though it has a little rye in it as well. The sweetness carries through and becomes dominant by the end of the drink. The alcohol does show up in the last half of the drink but does not overpower anything at all. If anything, it is dangerously well hidden given the 11%.

M/D - Very slick feel that almost coats the mouth in sweetness. A decent level of carbonation. Drinkability is surprisingly high given the ABV, but you better be ready for something sweet.

Sugary sweet is not my favorite characteristic in a beer, but Gamma Ray pulls it off. Not something I would want to have all the time, but a very nice change of pace. Also, the honey that it mentions adding huge amounts of does not show in the taste very well, in my opinion. Overall, a very worthy beer and I love the Side Projects. Cant wait to see what they pop out next.

Edit: As the beer warms a very medicinal taste begins to come through. Some weird combo of asprin and band-aid. Not a horrible taste when mixed with the other tastes, but an interesting change. Might try to keep this one a little colder moving forward.

ckeegan04, Nov 25, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +13.8%

Big thanks to SiriusAth, huge-hearted trader. My first brew of the evening and first brew gets the review. Let's go....

Thickish apricot color with medium white head. Ok.

Smell is light fruits. I claim pears and bananas. Maybe orange, but slight.

I believe I get a little alcohol in the taste. Fruits are there but less prominent than in the nose. Taste like one of the better versions of Tropican Twisters. Worthy. Funny, no honey.

Fairly (gulp) smooth and really (gulp) drinkable. Or it may (gulp) be the "First Beer (gulp) of the Day Curse." Anybody seen my beer?

Overall: I thoroughly enjoyed this

PatronWizard, Nov 24, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours slightly hazy copper with gold edges and white head. The aroma is a load of fermented honey and honey like fusels. If your nose wades through the layers of honey there is a moment or two of wheat and sweet malts. The taste is similar to the nose with an upfront attack of honey, honey and then some honey too. But by midway a full tasty wheat note opens up creating almost a hefewezien sensation that makes me feel like I'm tasting banana too but I'm not sure that is really there. The wheat and honey combination creates a short banana character. As the finish approaches a welcome note of malt, ripe plums and ripe cherries well up to join the fading honey and solid wheat flavors as the experience is carried into the after taste. I love the way this beer finishes but I'm not wild about the way it starts. For a new brew at 11% ABV the alcohol is very well hidden. I've had 8% beers with bigger booze flaws. Personally I'd prefer a wheat forward brew rather than this honey forward one. I'm not so sure it will even out with age. I've gone down the big honey brew road before and years later my creation really never wavered or smoothed out. But hopefully this one will be different.

BigMcLargeHuge, Nov 24, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a hazy, cloudy orangish color. Not much head to speak of. What was there quickly dissolved. It smells wheaty, like a hefewezien, and just a little sweet. Taste is dominated by the wheat. You'll also notice a little bot of banana, clove, and honey sweetness. It also tastes a little like a Belgian pale ale. There's a good amount of alcohol that is well hidden, but you'll get a nice warming sensation when you swallow. Drinkability is great, but watch yourself with that ABV.

Deus1138, Nov 23, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a cloudy straw color with very little head.

Wonderful aroma, smells like a strong hefeweizen, wheat, clove, banana, honey, bubblegum?

Not all of that makes it out in the flavor, but it's reminiscent of a hefeweizen - full of clove and banana. I can definitely taste some honey, though I might not have pinned it down had it not been listed on the bottle. Some alcohol presence, but considering the ABV, it's well masked.

Mouthfeel light and highly carbonated.

This was interesting. My first wheatwine, and it was quite nice. I've been impressed by Terrapin.

Strix, Nov 22, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

Thanks to Sebletitje for this one.

Poured a 22oz bomber into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip. This beer pours a hazy honey amber with a nice 2 inch head that quickly rescinded into just a little ring around the glass leaving no hint that it had ever touched the sides of the glass. The aroma has most of the classic Hefe attributes with banana, and clove but also pears, other fruity esters and sweet raw honey come through. The taste is surprisingly dissimilar from a hefe. While there is still a little banana, pears are the dominant fruit flavor with sweet honey being also pretty prevalent. The mouthfeel is a bit light for how viscous looking this beer is. Surprised me a bit. This is a good beer, but a bit on the sweet side for a 22oz'er. Would have really loved to see this in a 12oz bottle because a double deuce is a little too much.

hwwty4, Nov 19, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +17%

A very cloudy, golden yellow beer with orange hues throughout. Not much head to it. The smell was very much reminiscent of a Belgian brew, with loads of yeasty funkiness to it. Citrus, honey and light grainy aromas to it as well. Some esters try to escape but are hardly noticeable.

Has strong Belgian yeasty and citrus flavors, followed by a huge malty kick that I wasn't expecting. Light banana and clove notes to it as well. Very heavy in body, despite the look and smell. semi dry aftertaste that is very sweet. This beer throws you for a loop, and I loved it!

SirSketch, Nov 19, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -3.5%

Bottle courtesy of tjbartjr, thanks again!

Pours a bright and cloudy gold color, with not much of a head at all. Not all that appealing to look at.

Aromas are very spicy, boozy, oak like, bright fruits, citrus, almost like oranges.

Taste is very spicy, and boozy. Some oak, kind of sweet from the honey and with crisp green apple flavors. Finish is dry, and hot with a bite from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel is good, pretty full up front with a crisp and sharp finish.

Drinkability is ok. This beer is kind of all over the place. Some sips I like it, others... not so much. This beer needs some refining, and probably could use some time in the cellar. Decent effort, but kind of flawed.

flexabull, Nov 17, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

So I've been looking for a wheatwine since BA did that report a couple months back. Just found it at Gator Bev in Gainesville, FL.

Anyway to the review.

Poured into a wide mouth stemmed wine glass. It gave off a nice hint of whitish head before reducing. The color was hazy and I feel reflected its taste very well. I had it cold and it tasted like a sweet wheat without the 11% alcohol feel. Maybe if I let it warm to room temp the alcohol would have become pronounced, but that didn't happen.

It felt a little zingy in the mouth. Maybe a result of the carbonation.

I would most certainly have another go at this beer. Also need to start looking for more of its ilk.

Zeckster, Nov 15, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +18.9%

Electric hazy yellow, with a hint of orange. Could use a bit more head.

I love a hefewizen with a big bana presence. This has more banana aroma and flavor than any hefe I have ever had. It has a bit of Belgian Tripel fruit as well.

Boozy, fruity, and packed with banana of course. A bit hot. A lot going on here.

Creamy and rich.

I am going back for seconds if there are still some in Nashville. Unique and tasty.

IPAcraig, Nov 15, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +9%

22oz bottle

A- Pours an orangish amber color with a thin and fizzy off-white head that quickly disappears.

S- The aroma is sweet candied sugar, honey and bananas and some fruity esters as well. The nose is pretty appealing, can't wait for the taste.

T- The taste like the aroma is sweet, but I do not find it to be too overwhelmingly sweet. The banana flavors that appear in the nose are also prevalent in the taste. The finish is a little warm in the finish, but it is not as hot as I would have guessed considering the 11%.

M- The mouthfeel is a little thinner than I expected with a moderate amount of carbonation.

D- The alcohol is definitely there, but I think this beer does a pretty job at masking it. Gamma Ray is dangerously drinkable considering its high ABV.

Overall, Gamma Ray is another great brew from Terrapin. I am a huge fan of the Side Project series and look forward to the next on. I am impressed with this offering and can't wait to see how it ages. highly Recommended!

cjgator3, Nov 13, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle:

This was my first Wheatwine, so I was a little unsure of what to expect and I may try again, just to make sure that it was not just that bottle, but...

A: The beer gave off a good appearance, looked like apple juice but with a slight haze to it. I could not get much more than a one finger head and it dissipated very quickly. The head was an off-whitish color, but not much carbonation.

S: The aroma was good, with it mostly being wheat, with some sweetness from the honey and the alcohol was present.

T: Again, not really know what to expect, but the taste was almost like a double hefe, very strong wheat flavor with some sweetness from the honey and some alcohol, which got stronger as the beer got a little warmer. It may have been a little too sweet.

M/D: This is where this beer really fell down, it was way under carbonated and it felt like I was drinking something from concentrate that did not have the right amount of water added. Again, little to no carbonation, so it made the beer feel very heavy and thick. The drinkability suffered due to above mouthfeel characteristics. I did finish the 22oz but it did take some time.

I may give this another shot simply because this was my first Wheatwine and I really like the Terrapin Beer Company.

PhillyStyle, Nov 10, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured into a glass goblet and noticed a nice cloudy golden color with a thin white head. The smell is rather light, maybe a honey hint at most. I feel the appearance and smell defy the taste of this beer. This beer does not overwhelm in either of those categories, but I personally, love the taste. The taste of clove and barely bite are nicely balanced by the wheat and honey additions. The combination is absolutely delicious, and makes for the most drinkable 11% ABV beer I can think of. I seem to be in the minority with this opinion, but I really feel this beer is unique, but tasty.

bhalter8, Nov 09, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

A - nice golden yellow, slight haze, with a decent just off white head that quickly fades to a ring
S - light wheat, honey and medicinal alcohol
T - nice honey and sweet wheat notes with a hint of clove and more alcohol warmth
M - medium light bodied, light to medium carbonation, warming but almost too light in body
D - an interesting beer, one lacking in depth of body for what I'd like for this style.

nice in many ways, a bit light in body and hot. I'll cellar this for a while and see if the heat dies down.

barleywinebrewer, Nov 08, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured into an oversized wine glas a hazy auburn color with a well formed one finger white head that left patchy lace behind as it settled.A complex mix of phenolic spice and smoke to go along with notes of raisin and sweet alcohol,alomost like a spiced rum.Quite sweet on the palate,the mass quantity of honey shows itself, it gets a bit sticky after awhile, brown sugar and raisin mixed with stinging alcohol hits with a leather-like finish.Silky smooth mouthfeel to this beer but the alcohol can get to ya no doubt,still a good nitecap brew.

oberon, Nov 06, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -17.6%

22 oz bottle bought for me by a friend from Green's poured into a Terrapin snifter

A: Pours a nice orangish brown color. There was no head to speak of at all and no lacing at all. The color is nice, but I would like at least a bit of head and lace.

S: A very sweet aroma. A bit of the honey does come through along with a bit of banana. Quite a bit of booze aroma comes through which is no surprise with the ABV. It has an interesting aroma, but nothing really stands out for me.

T: The taste is quite sweet as expected by the aroma. I like the initial sweet honey flavor, I do not even mind the large alcohol kick, but the after taste does not agree with me. It reminds me of after taste of a thick cough syrup or medicine.

M: A very thick syrupy mouthfeel. There is quite a bit of alcohol burn with this one.

D: Not very drinkable in general, but based on the style, I gave it an average score.

I tend to really like Terrapin's lineup. In fact, I would easily claim they are the best of the local microbreweries by far. This one just didn't do it for me. Its not terrible, but I wish I had only got one bottle instead of two.

GatorBeerNerd, Nov 05, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

This is, I believe, my first wheatwine - and me likes!

Aroma is strong and wheaty and has the "rubbery" undertone I associate with good wheat beers; there is just a whisper of sweetness, probably from the honey. Flavor is crisp and smooth, strongly wheaty with more than a hint of sweetness and just a teeny bit of hop bite. Texture is pleasingly smooth, and aftertaste is satisfying. Too bad this is a one-time-only release.

Cyberkedi, Nov 05, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +13%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a hazy, golden amnber. Looks thick coming out of the bottle. Starts off with a half inch of white head which goes to nothing pretty quickly. Only a small ring around the glass which leaves light lace.

Smell of honey hits the nose first, followed by sweet, syrupy candy and bananas.

Taste works with the smell. Sweet and banana flavors. Very warming. Almost like a mix between hefes and belgians. Something funky in the aftertaste.

Moouthfeel is syrupy and sticky. Stays on the tongue for a while.

Drinkable enough. Wouldn't want more than one bomber, though.

wescj, Oct 29, 2008

Bottle courtesy of edelweiss - thanks!!! Poured, appropriately enough, into a 22 oz. Terrapin snifter.

Appearance: A hazy golden, orange-amber colored beer with a fluffy, white head with average retention that fades into a thin sheen of foam and a ring of sticky lace. Lacing is actually fairly attractive on this one, at least initially. Looks very similar to an amped-up hefeweizen - slightly more hazy, slightly stickier lacing (due to the wheat proteins, I'd assume).

Aroma: Sweet - the honey really comes through here. It's really complex, at least in that dimension, but overall, dominated by the traditional hefeweizen notes, if that makes sense. You get a lot of cloves and white pepper, banana, honey, faint yeasty earthiness, and other malty notes. Oy.

Taste: The addition of honey here was really genius, because I imagine any beer that tasted like this - largely, like a traditional hefeweizen - but with an 11% abv would be overwhelmingly boozy. But the sweetness really cuts a lot of that out. The spiciness here is INTENSE, and I don't know if it's clove-like, from the yeast, or spicy, from the alcohol, or some combination of both. Either way, that's the one thing that knocks this one down a peg or two. It tastes like an amped up hefe, with lots of extra simple sweetness. To recap, since I just realized I didn't really discuss what this beer tastes like, you get a lot of powdery wheat, tons of simple sweetness, a nice chewy, full body, lots of spice, bananas, a few other light, spicy, fruity esters, and a faint hint of alcohol ... though nowhere near the 11% billed.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thick, with tons of unfermented sugars, residual sweetness, a mild amount of prickly carbonation (or is that yeasty spiciness? alcohol heat? I don't know!).

Drinkability: Doesn't taste like 11%. Not by any stretch. Though I can "feel" it. This is a damn good beer, though, tastes like an imperial hefe in every possible way. I first tried this at the WBF in Durham, NC. My review notes for that essentially read, for every BA review category, "Tastes like an imperial hefe," "Tastes like an imperial hefe," "Tastes like an imperial hefe." Turns out that review was spot on. This is a good beer, w/ tons of spice, tons of alcohol, and tons of wheat, hefe character. Give this one a try.

CrellMoset, Oct 28, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +14.4%

I chose a half liter Weizen glass to pour this into, and it looked appropriate partially, as the body was pale gold in color, but there was no haze, and the typical Weizen head was totally absent. The smell was pretty spot on though, with bananas, cloves, and a touch of pear. This started off as a typical wheat beer, with the fruity and sweet bits playing on the tongue up front, then mid palette the gloves came off, and a snappy bitterness and some white pepper and cardamom like spiciness showed up. The finish was warm and boozy. Quite light and slippery on the tongue, so I suspect the honey fermentation resulted in most of the alcoholic strength. Quite a unique and pleasant ride this Wheatwine turned out to be. Wonder if this would age well?

rajendra82, Oct 28, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +18.4%

I was really excited to see this at my liquor store as they haven't had great luck bringing in any of the one-offs from Terrapin in the past. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. The beer poured a gorgeous ruby straw color with a white head that disappeared almost immediately. The smell is ripe bananas and floral honey. The honey smell definitely gives some depth to nose. The taste is fruity and sweet with a little bite of medicinal herb flavor which adds some complexity. Its a rich beer with honey sweetness which drops the drinkability a bit, but its definitely one of a kind and a beer I look forward to trying again. Keep up the good work Terrapin.

Godot, Oct 24, 2008