Terrapin Gamma Ray - Terrapin Beer Company

Georgia, United States

Wheatwine |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 10-09-2008

Originally Side Project #3 released in 22oz bottles, now the summer seasonal on Terrapin's Monster beer tour and available in 12 oz bottles by the 4 pack.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Gamma Ray Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

pours a brilliant glimmering marigold hue, pleasantly hazy with suspended goodness. a generous pour yields a one-finger light caramel head that fades quickly and leaves minimal lace.

aroma of apple, green fig, caramel, white sugar. hints of malt, a touch of wheat.

taste follows the aroma. blast of sweet fruit up front with apples, golden raisins, figs. then some darker prune and fig notes. alcohol is definitely present, with some strong, wheaty notes.

mouth is surprisingly spritely with active carbonation the makes it almost a touch hot. makes the alcohol more pronounced. moderate body with a sweet slickness.

all in all, pretty dang solid. the flavors are a bit intense on the sweet and fruity side of the spectrum for my tastes, but interesting none the less.

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

A: The first thing I noticed is that it has no head to speak of. I get a very small head but it goes away instantly. The beer is a dark orange-brown color and is very hazy. I do see carbonation.

S: I pick up a fruity smell similar to dates. I can smell the malt. It's a pleasant smell, with no alcohol.

T: It tastes a lot like a Belgian style ale. There's the fruity flavor along with the big Belgian malts. There is some wheat flavor as well, that comes in at the end and mellows the beer out.

M: The mouthfeel is lighter than I expected. It has an "airy" quality to it, even though it's medium bodied. Not dry, despite the high ABV.

O: Overall it's a very nice beer. I would like some kind of head on it. The surface of my beer is flat as a sheet of amber glass. I do like the beer though, it is very tasty and mellow.

3.26/5  rDev -13.5%

12 oz. bottle purchased from whole foods for $2ish. Poured into tulip generating one finger of head that dissipated rather quickly leaving little lacing. Appearance is nice and clear with dark amber orange color. The nose is very light, smells sweet and slightly floral with obvious alcohol. The taste is not much different, started this beer too cold and the alcohol is already dominant. I don't get much honey, not very malty or much wheat. Just a light tasting heavy mouth feel medium carbonation alcohol bomb. Not my favorite Terp beer.

3.92/5  rDev +4%

This makes the third Wheat Wine that I have tried. Terrapin made an excellent choice for this one in their Monster Beer Tour series. Nice color with a beautiful, sweet nose. This brew has a juicy, tart taste that reminds me of delicious, dried apricots. Good viscocity and bites you smoothly at the end.

3.64/5  rDev -3.4%

A: The beer has a nice rich orangish color with some good trails of bubbles and a slight head that doesn't really stay.
S: Smells like a wheaty honey with some hints of banana and fruitiness.
T: Very thick wheat flavor and the yeast gives it a great fruity characteristic of citrus and banana.
M/O: Very crisp and tingly. Very heavy wheat beer which makes it a little harder to drink. Good beer, the wine character is very subtle.

3.92/5  rDev +4%

Tastes are wheat, roasted wheat, hops, wood, paper, booze, figs, grapes, clay, mouthwash, wax, silver and biscuits. Smells are wheat, caramel, flowers, trees, mint, mangoes, rose pedals and cardboard. Pretty cool, pretty cool, pretty cool. I'd get more definitely.

3.97/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours a light amber color with straw-hues around the edges. Half finger is present then dissipates quickly leaving a nice bubbly film over the top.

S: Light berries with a sweet honey. Citrus with a booze background rounds it out.

T: Sweet honey with yeast backbone. Nice fruity citrus with a great wheat accent also. A nice combination of cherries and oranges. The slight booze comes through with a nice finish that ties it all together.

M: Medium bodied with a heavier carbonation. Nice smooth drinkability and the lasting sweetness is nice tough on the tongue.

O: This was a very interesting brew. It wasn't as bold as a barleywine, but wasn't as light as a wheat ale. The description fits this perfectly and the extra sweetness from the honey makes this a very drinkable brew.

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

A - Pours a cloudy bright yellow with a half inch of white fluffy head.

S - Smells pretty sweet. Honey goodness with warming alcohol and a slight grain background. Almost has a caramel like smell

T - Sweet at first but then slams my palate hard with alcohol it makes me gag a bit. After a few sips my palate adjusts and I taste sweet honey (not as much as others describe) and an aggressive bit of grain and finishes sweet and malty.

M - Very heavy in fact sipping it the ABV is noticeable the entire time. Will avoid this style.

Overall I guess I don't like wheat wines since this burned like hell and only has subtle moments of flavor and enjoyment. Avoid if you can.

3.82/5  rDev +1.3%

Let me begin by saying that when the labeling says the beer includes "an obscene amount of local honey," it really is OBSCENE.

Delicious, sweet and yeasty aroma. Good mouthfeel. The beer includes notes of banana, spices and yeast, but it tastes overwhelmingly of honey. It is VERY sweet, almost cloying. The Gamma Ray also tastes pretty alcoholic. Definitely was a sipping beer for me.

If you like very sweet things, this beer is for you. I am glad to have tried it, but it was a little much for me, so I will be sticking to my other Terrapin favorites.

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

A 12 oz bottle pored into a Terrapin Rye Squared Pint glass that I picked up at the brewery tour a few years ago

A - A nice cloudy golden color. It looks creamy. Has a very nice head retention and leaves some good lace on the glass.

A - Sweet, with lots of belgian yeast tickling my nose. Smells divine.

T - Very sweet. Lots of sweet malts, and loads of honey. Bananas, wheat, honey. The honey is even more prevalent in the aftertaste.

M - Creamy, low carbonation. Smooth finish

D - Very good. A little too sweet and strong to have more than 1. But a very tasty beer to have every now and then.

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

alex's contribution tonight, i ended up having half this one as he could not stand it. i really did not think it was that bad to be honest, a nice and well rounded beer.

Poured a nice light burnt amber with a nice big frothy head. Great head retention and a good bit of lace on the glass. Smell was lightly hopped, but full of grain and fruit notes, apricots maybe? Lots of malt. First taste impression was very smooth, lots of carbonation and a great light feel. Slight hint of alcohol, but hardly noticeable. lots of almost sweet like honey notes in the finish and syrupy feel cap it off.

overall not ba, like i said did not steal the show but i was pleased with it overall.

3.97/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Pours a dark golden with a half a finger of whitish head. Recedes quickly to the beer leaving a film on the out edges of the glass only. Some lacing on the side of the glass that I'm drinking from.

S: Honey, clove, apple, banana, some breadiness. Very sweet smelling. Has a very Belgian feel to it. Alcohol present.

T: Not picking up the honey as much in the taste, but the cloves are present for sure at the end. Breadiness, apple, wheat, citrus and banana round out the tastes I'm able to spot. Again the alcohol is present, but not distracting.

M: Syrupy, thick and warming from the booze. Slightly sticky.

O: Gamma Ray is a sipper because the alcohol is present in pretty much every aspect of the beer...and my stomach is full from a big steak dinner. Anyway, I don't have a lot of experience with wheatwines so it's hard to compare this to anything, but I can say that I will buy this again.

3.89/5  rDev +3.2%

I think I had this once before during their side project series. BB date of February/Week 4. This bottle is from 2010 I believe. This 12oz bottle sent up by Dustin, was conveniently hoarded away by my BA neighbor till I brought it up in conversation. :P

Sam Adams PP glass. Cloudy orange/honey pour. Minimal ring of off white head.

Smells like a seriously juicy hef straight off the bat. Getting some soothing orange Creamsicle notes. Deeper in I get all that macerated wheat, as well as some pineapple. Chalky yeast, but that juicy aspect doesn't disappear.

Taste is pushy with the banana esters. Spicy anise liquor. Sharp acidity upfront. A bit toasty. Still somewhat juicy. Boozier then expected. Grassy, slightly bitter yeast finish.

Feel is thick like a proper wheat beer, but more gelatinous(bad choice of words). Carbonation is strong thankfully. Alcohol hits pretty hard for only 10.8%.

I'm not big on the style, but this one was a good nightcap. :)

3.57/5  rDev -5.3%

Thanks to THECPJ for this bottle, gave it to me in the only actual trade we did.

A: Pours a bright, clear orange color. A small white head forms from the pour, but dissolves to nothing but a small ring around the edge. No lacing at all.

S: Extremely sweet. A good bit of banana, some apple, and lot of honey. A hint of alcohol as well.

T: Cloyingly sweet from the honey. A little bit of banana and apple and a bit of clove spiciness. A little bit of sweet caramel rounds out the malt bill.

M: Very syrupy, and on the thicker side. Slight alcohol presence and there is a little bit of heat as it goes down.

O: Pretty good, not my favorite flavor profile, so far beers heavy in honey aren't really my thing, but this one is better than most. Drinkability is decent considering the ABV.

3.74/5  rDev -0.8%

Oh man that honey is coming off strong. Strong apple notes here. Sour fruit tang on the back end of the nose. Bit of cardboard and biscuit. Definitely some orange zest and citrus as well. So... in order. Orange, orange zest, drizzled honey, cardboard, biscuit, finish up strong with the apple and tartness of an apple lastly.

Opens alcoholic. Strong ethanolic body with the subtle honey sweetness. Not full power, but enough to let you know this isn't just a vinous mess. Finish is moderately clean. You are left with the taste of faint wheat malt.

Full bodied, creamy, nice carbonation. Bitter ethanol character, sharp tang of the alcohol. For an 11% it isn't insanely killer... but it definitely feels hot. I'd probably say they balanced the feeling perfectly to the high alcohol. Again, clean finish allows me to enjoy this beer fully without anything overwhelming me.

I like it. Nothing insane, nothing awful. Just a solid wheatwine.

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Terrapin Gamma Ray Wheat Wine 12/5/10

A: Aggressive pour produces about ½ inch of head with low retention. After 30 seconds there is a thin layer on the surface of the beer. Pours a slightly hazy honey yellow color.

S. First thing that I smell is booziness, followed by a strong honey note. Smells also of vanilla with some spiciness and banana notes that I would expect from a Belgian or weizen yeast.

T.Taste is similar to the nose. Big wheaty flavor here. I get a lot of banana and spiciness and also a lot of sweetness here. Alcohol is not as prevalent as in the nose.

M: For a big beer, the mouthfeel is pretty middle of the road. Carbonation is medium also; smooth and not too prickly.

D. Definitely a sipper. The alcohol and sweetness make it a beer to savor.

This is a good beer, especially because I don't like hefeweizens. Kind of like a hefe on steroids.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a hazy orangish color with a thin white head.

The scent is of sweet fruit, notes of honey, wheat, and alcohol.

The taste is of wheat, sweet fruit, some honey, very noticeable alcohol.

Medium body, crisp and a little creamy, low to moderate carbonation.

This was a decent beer, I thought the balance was a little off but it still had pretty good flavor.

3.92/5  rDev +4%

Picked up a 4 pack of Gamma Ray in NW Jersey.

Appearance is deep honey with a thin white head.
Smell has clove, belgian yeast, honey, bubblegum. Taking a sip, and I taste wheat, grain, alcohol, some grapes and alcohol. MF is full bodied. Wheatwine is not a style that I have tried many times, but this was one of the best that I have had so far.

2010 vintage

A - Pours with a golden honey body...the head was there for a second...very thin...white in color...the bead is also very thin but this is all expected for the high alcohol...light lacing

S - Honey is present even from two feet away...it's a nice, fresh honey scent...there are also some spicy notes

T - The flavors are sweet up front and really showcase the honey...there is some underlying fruit (can't put a finger on what kind) that is adding to the sweetness level...a touch of yeast comes through in the middle...the finish brings out more sweetness and that spiciness from the nose...I think the spiciness is from the yeast and maybe some hops

M - Medium bodied...thinner than I expected but also syrupy at times...sweet but not cloying

D - I believe this is my first wheatwine and I couldn't dectect a huge wheat beer base...the addition of the honey really took over in this one...which in the nose it was nice, but after a while on the palate it got to be too much...overall, one to try

3.7/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes:

Appearance: golden yellow color with 1 finger white head

smell: barley, honey, booze

taste: sweet, strong, alcohol,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, strong booze, burn

drinkability: I think I should let this one sit for a while. To much alcohol burn for me to enjoy.

The cpj

3.24/5  rDev -14.1%

A: A stark clear orange body with no head at all.

S: An overly sweet nose of honey, malts, apricots, bananas, & white sugar.

T: The taste follows up on the smell very well. Flavors of honey, sugar, & bananas dominate the palate with notes of wheat & herbs.

M: A soft and fluffy texture, no carbonation, medium body.

D: This is my first wheatwine and although I didn't care for it too much, this was still an interesting beer. The honey was a bit much for me, so this is definitely a one time beer.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

A very sweet beer that smells of banana and sugar. Looks golden copper much like a good imperial IPA Coats the tongue thickly with a heavy sweetness. Low carbonation, thin lacing. For such a high ABV beer, I taste no alcohol either initially or after the beer sits and warms up a bit. Overall, this is a very good beer. I probably would not want a pack of it, but one every once in a while is absolutely worthwhile.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured from a 12 oz (from a 4 pack) into a snifter.
Best before notch 3rd week of February (2011 or 2012? - ton of sediment on the bottom but I know this was only first released in this format in Fall 2009).

A: Pours a clear orange with a white head that leaves a thin ring.
S: Smells like honey and perhaps sugary candy.
T: Very sweet honey and candy followthrough to the taste with a noticeable wheat base. No alcohol presence at all.
M: Thin and watery, very little carbonation, too thin to be cloying, but I'd rather this beer be full bodied.
D: It's kind of a mess; perhaps this bottle is old, but the mouthfeel of the beer just really doesn't go well with the taste. I'm sure I'd like it a hell of a lot more if it had a full body. I don't have a ton of wheatwines to compare to, but for the three or four I have tried, this is certainly the thinnest, most watery one.

2.97/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours a very clear golden color with a thin white head and a little lacing. Smells of wheat germ, alcohol, and bananas. Tastes of tons of bananas that pretty much dominate the flavor, a little sweet wheat malts, honey and a lot of alcohol. I am not a big fan of how much the alcohol shines through. Mouthfeel is medium and it has a mild carbonation. Drinkability is low.

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

a: pours a hazy orange color with about a quarter inch of head that disappears quickly leaving a slim ring of lace around the edge of the glass and top of the beer

s: strong citrus aroma sweet wheat malt aroma. The alcohol is present in the nose

t: Citrus hop bitterness with sourness is my initial taste, sweet wheat malts kick in quickly. Alcohols is present in the taste

m: medium bodied beer with good carbonation

overall, i really enjoy this brew. I wish I had access to it

Terrapin Gamma Ray from Terrapin Beer Company