Terrapin Oaked Big Hoppy Monster - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  10.30% ABV

Beer added by: GJ40 on 11-07-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Oaked Big Hoppy Monster Alström Bros
1.59/5  rDev -59%

A: The body is a very cloudy dark brown color with an eggshell colored fluffy head that delivers some good lacing on the glass.

S: I get a slam of catty hop aroma, followed by a strong alcohol scent, and a bit of band-aid. It's not that pleasant to me.

T: At first I get a very strong alcohol flavor, followed by what tastes like plastic or vinyl. It's pretty awful tasting, I don't know if it's always like this or what. I do get some woody oak flavor but nothing competes with the plastic and alcohol flavors that are so sickly strong. In the aftertaste I can fortunately taste some of the hops, which have a bit of pine flavor and are a bit earthy. It's unfortunate that I can't even drink this beer because of how it tastes.

M: The beer has a full mouthfeel. It is incredibly hard to drink this beer because of the overall flavors.

O: I could not drink this beer. I was expecting some big hoppy delicious beer with oak, but instead I was slammed with this awful combination of plastic and alcohol flavor. I kept telling myself "there's no way it's that bad" and had to take another sip. Obviously it wasn't getting any better with the sips. I would say that if I was in a life or death situation where I had to drink it, then I could. Given any other beer, I probably would choose a run-of-the-mill commercial beer over this.

2.64/5  rDev -32%

A - Murky deep amber with a one finger head that retains well with some lacing.

S/T - With a name like Big Hoppy Monster, there's minimal hop content in aroma and taste. Mostly dominated by dark fruits of plum and raisin, and a lot of sweetness. Oak comes in through the finish, with only a touch of earthy hops adding a small amount of bitterness.

M - Medium body, thick and creamy with a low carbonation. The oakiness helps dry it up a bit, but residual sugars are still left coating the mouth.

O - Totally not what I was expecting from the name. Almost no hop character, very sweet and malty, with the oak not really incorporated well into the beer. Kind of turns me off from trying the regular version.

2.8/5  rDev -27.8%

Thanks again to AtlCarl as I work my way through all the beer that landed, with a resounding noise heard for blocks around, on my porch not long ago. 12 oz. bottle.

Pour is a clear light red that turns to mild murk as the last bit is poured from the bottle. Much like it's namesake sans oak, this is a beer dominated by malt (Big Malty Monster?) - my pharynx is filled to overflowing with sweet, sweet toffee. Neither hops nor oak appear on radar.

Oak Aged Big Hoppy Monster, once tasted, definitely needs a moniker change. Caramel malts flap in your face like a loose feather boa covered in sickly sweet honey. Oak is barely visible over the shoulder of the malts, & a tiny bite of vanilla appears. Hops? None. Heavy. After a few sips I feel like I've ingested three Krispy Kremes in less than a minute. Stomach, expanding.

Just like the original, this is a heavy, filing, brutal beast of a beer that gets points knocked off for false advertising.; I couldn't do more than six ounces, nor would I want to. This monster doesn't even frighten to mediocrity; sub-par.

2.89/5  rDev -25.5%

2013 vintage. into snifter.

A: a very, very hazy brown body. head is off-white and is bubbly. retention and lacing are minimal.

S: wood and raisins. plums and figs. not getting any oxidation or off-aromas. not getting any hops either.

T: a lot of raisins. dark, sweet fruit. a lot of wood. distinctive oak flavor right smack in the middle of the drink. really kind of unpleasant. finish returns to more wood and dark fruit. not cloying without much in this finish.

M: carb is pretty average. full bodied.

D: really not a desirable brew for me. too much wood, not enough malt and hops to provide balance. not all beers should be put in oak! I actually get no hops. don't think ill be trying this one again.

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2012 Bottle poured into a DFH Snifter

A: About a one finger head that quickly dissipated. Dark and rich in color, pretty much what you'd expect from a barrel aged ale. No lacing to speak of.

S: Really need to let this guy warm up to pick out those smells. A very nice oak smell right off the bat that overpowers the other smells until it warms up. Once it got a little warmer, I was able to pick out some malt and a little bit of hops, however, just doesn't bring much to the table in this category.

T: Exactly what you'd expect. Oak / Malt immediately followed by a slight hop presence. Not much burn, but this bottle has sat around for awhile. Overall it's a very sweet brew.

M: Not much to speak of. Medium body, small burn, with a pretty spot-on carbonation for this brew.

O: I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it and definitely wouldn't pick up a case of it, but it was a nice change of pace and I'd probably consider getting a pint if I saw it on tap somewhere. Not Terrapin's best offering, but not their worst either.

3.12/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

2012 vintage. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with cool label art and awesome branded green pressure cap acquired at illicit retail in Los Angeles and served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high; I've heard great things about Terrapin and this is my first beer from them. Cost me $6.00. 9.1% ABV confirmed.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a half finger light khaki colour head. Nice thickness, nice cream. Pretty good retention for the high ABV - about 4 minutes. Body colour is a dark murky caramel amber. Nontransparent; quasitranslucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Not looking great for an Imperial Red. I'd expect a cleaner brighter amber or red hue. Light even lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. It's not ideal, but I'm optimistic.

Sm: Hm. Caramel and biscuit malt. Oak, sure. Light vanilla from the oak. Amber malts. Floral hops. Some bready grains. Not as hoppy as anticipated, but that isn't a bad thing per se. It comes off more like a nicely hopped barleywine than an imperial red. Some tropical fruits come through as it warms - turning me off a bit; I'm not a big fan of tropical fruit hop character - especially in an imperial red. Syrupy and sweet. I'm growing more and more suspicious of this as an alleged imperial red. It's really not to style, and even apart from style conventions it seems like a bit of a mess. Still, there's a lot of interesting things going on here; they just don't seem to be working together in a cohesive, focused way. No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

T: Brown sugar, vinous character, heavy residual sugars with accompanying unwelcome sweetness. Some cream. Toasted malt and light vague toffee reminiscent of an over-aged barleywine or scotch ale. Hop character is shockingly timid, with generic floral hops the only note of interest. Some amber malts, but not enough to bring this into amber or imperial red territory. Oak is quite backgrounded, and the vanilla it provides comes off artificial. This is quite a mess; not at all focused or balanced. Maybe deliberately aging this imperial red - oak or not - was a poor idea. The flavour cuts out abruptly on the finish, leaving a weak aftertaste. Lacks subtlety and complexity. Poorly put together. Not a big fan of this one.

Mf: Way too thin on the finish. Smooth and wet throughout. Weak. Lacks body. Poor thickness. Poor presence on the palate. Doesn't suit the flavour profile well. Bad execution.

Dr: The problem here might simply be the premise. Aging an imperial red could well just be a shit idea. As my introduction to Terrapin, this beer hugely disappoints me. I'm content to just assert that it's the aging that ruined it, not Terrapin's brewing per se. After all, I'm sure My Bloody Valentine and Nugget Nectar would taste just as unflattering if aged in oak for an extended period of time. Best consumed when in the mood for a hoppy English barleywine, not an imperial red. Drinkable for the high ABV, but very disappointing. I definitely wouldn't get this again. Not sure what they were thinking.

I may sound a bit too critical throughout my review. Overall, it's an above average beer. I just had high hopes given the brewery's reputation.

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark brown color. Somewhat typical of most amber ales, the head has a one finger offwhite shade with a wonderful creaminess to it. It fades away to a thin collar fairly quick, but leaves nice sheets of lacing down the glass.

S: This one is somewhat intriguing, to say the least. The first thing I note is aged piny hops along side a large caramel backbone. When given a chance to open up, the aroma shifts slightly toward vanilla, toffee, oak, and chocolate. Hints of booze also appear.

T: At first, mild hints of hops hit the palate...and when I mean mild, I mean nearly non-existent to my hop-discerning palate. The finish is fairly sweet vanilla mixed with some toffee. To me, the general flavor profile is hard to identify - it comes across as a weird, almost musty caramel sweetness. There's too much flavor muddling here for me to give a great score.

M: I like the creaminess of the texture a lot. It's a bit thin, and oaky tannins boost its drinkability at the cost of some softness. Carbonation is a touch low.

O: Not bad, just strange. The absolute closest comparison I can make to this is a 4-month old bottle of Nugget Nectar crossed with Oaked Arrogant Bastard. I wouldn't seek this out again, but I wouldn't refuse it, either.

3.19/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Boozy and uber malty. I wouldn't consider this oaky-dokey barleywine a red ale in my book. Terrapin needs to start over on this one. Nothing special. Tastes garden-variety with an alcohol kick. I wanted to like it more, especially considering the price for a four pack, but after a few days off, it still came up mediocre in my view/taste. In the real red ale category, Nugget Nectar kicks this beer's ass down the street and past the lamp post.

3.28/5  rDev -15.5%

2013 Vintage.

A- Double pint glass pours from the 12oz bottle with a murky brown appearance. Creamy, off-white head forms to about two fingers with nice retention. Supremely thick lace ring at the top followed by webs drizzling down below that.

S- Like a Barleywine off the top with big, semi-aged caramel and notes of oak beyond that. Hops come into play a bit with some citrus and pine. A touch of tropical fruit.

T- Oak essence extract bonanza. Somehow this takes oak chip flavors to a new level. The wood overshadows other good elements. Caramel malts, toasted nutty hints and spicy yeast raisin notes. Hops try to counter the oak but are kind of contrasted too much by it. Hops bring citrus rind, pine and slight tropical.

MF- Low-moderate carbonation level in a medium bodied brew. Some nice creaminess with the carbonation and it finishes with oak and hop bitterness lingering on the palate.

Too much oak. It seems to waver off with some sips but overshadows the rest of the beer a ton. Decent hop flavors but oak oak oak.

3.41/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a sterilized glass, not much smell to it, however the color is a beautiful mid-brown with transparency and thickness that reminded me of iced tea. Sweet hops, slightly citrusy. Great wood Oak flavor that takes over. I agree with other fans of this beer that I taste bourbon as well.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Draft at The Pour House in Westmont, NJ.

Pours a hazy dark copper color with amber/mahogany edges and a 1.5 finger off-white head that slowly settles into a lasting ring.  Splotches of lace left behind.

Aroma reminds me of an old ale.  Some toasted, earthy oak along with subtle vanilla followed by caramel malt and earthy floral hop notes.  Oak becomes more prominent as it warms giving off a slight toothpick character.  Caramel malt sweetness, toffee and rye overpower the hops.  Subtle resinous piney character but not what I was expecting for a hoppy beer.

Medium bodied with a nice oak barrel presence that's decently integrated into the base beer.  It's strong but doesn't completely overpower the other flavors.  Virgin oak/toothpick flavor with a little bit of spicy rye.  Again, the hops are there but are overpowered by the strong barrel and malt profile.  Hints of caramel, toffee, spicy rue and cocoa followed floral and slightly earthy hop bitterness.  A bit dry but the malts have sweetness for balance.  Abv well masked and decently drinkable but overpowering wood flavors hurt a bit.  Also, way too malty for the style in my opinion.  Not bad but the barrel character is too dominant and the hops are overpowered.

3.42/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy very dark brown with a one finger tan head. Poor head retention and a just a small bit of lacing on the sides of the glass.

Lots of spicy, earthy hop aroma with a decent amount of oak thrown in. It is all kind of muddled, however, with a little bit of toffee and caramel spread around the edges. Nothing offensive but it is just a little messy.

Oak figures very prominent in the flavor with the hops taking somewhat of a back seat. Earthy hops prop up the oak but much like the aroma, there is really no strong definition or separation of flavors. Toffee and caramel are mild in the background along with just moderate bitterness. Mouthfeel is sticky sweet with drinkability being somewhat limited.

Overall, a nice attempt by Terrapin but I'm not so sure that it works. It is just a little bit of a mess. Glad I got to try it as I normally love oak aged beers but this one just doesn't really work for me.

3.42/5  rDev -11.9%

12 oz bottle from a four pack bought at Ned's.

Appearance: Hazy iced tea with almost no head. Leaves some spots of lacing.

Smell: Smells oaked and big, but not all that hoppy. Some caramel malt and a bit of toast. There is some sweet citrus hops, but nowhere near the original BHM.

Taste: Upfront lots of malt sweetness, but the heavy oak flavor takes over. Lots of toasty oak and vanilla. Too much. Finishes dry, woody, bitter.

Mouthfeel: Big upfront, but undercarbonated, and way too dry in the finish.

Overall: This is a big step down from big hoppy monster. I thought it sounded good, but its just OK.

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a hazy murky old copper color with a thumb sized tan head. Very pretty looking like dark murky beers. Head falls

Aroma is malty big chewy caramel malts, some nice deep sweetness to it. Hops smell old like they have been cellared , guess they have in oak more or less. As far as the oak goes only a light dry woody vanilla present which is fine. Little on the subdued side for a big hoppy monster but not bad.

Taste is like the nose I would say subdued also. Seems light at first watery caramel malts like hops kind of dry woody notes. but then kind of kicks in. Heavy sugar notes appear along with good does of vanilla coated hops for a weird finish. Not quite sure whats going on with this one?

Mouthfeel is medium carbonation on the flatter side of things.

Overall well it looks good, aside from that not sure if aging it in oak made it bland or what. Its not that its bad per say just kind of eh what were they going for here? Think I have enjoyed the rest of Terrapins brews much more then this one.

3.46/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a slightly hazy copper with half a finger of beige head that recedes into a thin ring with little lacing.

S: Loads of caramel malts with notes of vanilla and oak mixed in. There are some subtle citrusy hop notes in there as well.

T: Sweet caramel malts dominate here as well, again with vanilla and oak notes. There are some light earthy pine notes and slight bitterness towards the lightly alcoholic finish.

M: Medium-thick beer with lowish carbonation, this beer avoids being too sticky sweet, but could use either a creamier body or a bit more carbonation.

O: A decent beer overall, though a bit simplistic and lacking depth.

3.48/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Poured from a bottle into a Dogfish Head snifter. The beer pours a dark, muddy brown with some crimson hues and a 1 finger head. The head didn't last very long and settles into a thin cap around the edges. Nice looking beer.

Smell: Strong roasted malt smell, almost smells like a barley wine to me.

Taste: Very big, malty, sweet, syrupy beer that coats the tongue. Definitely some hops that tickle the tongue but definitely more malt than hop in my bottle. I get some very subtle hints of vanilla.

Mouthfeel: Thick, sweet and syrupy. More carbonation on the tongue than I would have expected but not a bad quality for this beer. I think the carbonation is what really separates it from a barley wine type beer.

Overall: This is a good beer but not great. I almost get the feeling this beer isn't quite sure what it wants to be. With a name like Big Hoppy Monster, I would have expected more hop and less sweet malt. I'm not sure what the date is on this brew, so my guess is that the hops have started to fade a bit and the malt is taking over. I'm glad I tried it but glad I only bought a single.

3.49/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a vigorous and creamy dark tan head before quickly dissipating. The beer itself is a deep and clear ruby red. The beer seems to be redder than most amber ales that most previous amber ales that I've had that it seems to be a slight brown.

A heavy malt presence but overshadowed by an even stronger oak smell as well as alcohol. However, the alcohol smell is a bit overpowering and does not really mix well with the malt. The hops do appear in the smell in a pine form but does not mix well with the alcohol. The end result is that the alcohol and pine smell a bit like a pine scented antiseptic and ruins the oak/pine combination, which is pretty nice. After waiting a while, the key to getting the full flavor is to drink the beer warmer or at room temperature in order to allow the hops to air out a little bit. However, even after the hops emerge from the bitter cold, the smell is still overpowered by the malts and oak.

The amber ale tastes fairly weird. The oak taste seems to dominate everything including the malts and hops. However, the alcohol is the only taste that does not get covered by the oak. The hop presence comes out in the aftertaste and not at the front of the drink. The malts barely come out in the taste. After warming a bit, the hop presence became known. However, even after the beer warms up, the hops are still dominated by the oak and malt tastes.

Heavy bodied with biting carbonation. The beer feels slightly grainy with a sticky ending.

I can see what Terrapin wanted to do with this beer but feel that they fell short. The oak tastes too fake and overpowering to really work with an amber ale and the alcohol taste just does not mix with a heavy malt beer.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottle says 9.1%.

Appearance - Worrying lack of a pfft when I crack the cap. As I pour, there isn't much by way of bubbles. Not until the end do a few stray cream bubbles make an appearance. In the end, it has a collar on top of an opaque reddish brown body.

Smell - Oak, caramel malt, not a huge hop presence. Some of it's there, I guess, but it just smells like any other over-inflated red ale.

Taste - Better, for sure. More of a hop presence here. A little grapefruity. Lots of caramel and toasted malt. Maybe that's the oak, though. Gives it a little bit of a charred taste. Strong oak presence that becomes very dry in the back. Vanilla is all over in the finish. Oak lingers on the palate along with a hop bite.

Mouthfeel - The oak doesn't make it feel as big, but it's a slow drinker for an amber. The taste points to sweetness without really providing any.

Overall - Nothing terribly special. Too big for it's own good. I don't know why they had to make it even more alcohol than before. The oak is a nice foil to the malt, though.

3.52/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a CCB pint glass.

A: Hazy, dark reddish copper in color. Thin, off-white foamy head, medium visible carbonation.

S: Pine, citrus rind hops, with sweet and caramel bready malts and a sweet oaky vanilla.

T: Oak. Then some oak, and oak. Some faint pine hop bitterness, then some sweet malts. Then oaky vanilla dryness.

M: Medium body, sticky mouthfeel, alcohol noticeable but not to the point of distraction. Relatively low carbonation sensation.

O: This isn't truly a bad beer, but way too much oak and way too little hops. I'm not thrilled.

3.54/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic pint glass at cellar temperature.

L – Amber-brown color with a 2-finger frothy, rocky, tan head. Decent retention and some lacing. Slightly hazy and I can’t really see any bubbles.

S – There are definite oak-aged characteristics here with woody oak and vanilla aromas. There’s a good bit of caramel malt and citrus hops here and maybe some tropical fruit aromas, as well.

T – Oak and vanilla come in right up front and kind of slap you in the face. As those flavors settle down, some orange, grapefruit, and pine hop bitterness creeps in. As the bitterness mellows, caramel malt and brown sugar sweetness shows up. Some spicy phenols appear at the finish, as well.

F – Medium-to-full-bodied with pretty good carbonation, a sticky and somewhat viscous mouthfeel, and a spicy, slightly bitter, and slightly dry finish. Spicy medicinal phenols linger for a bit along with a mild throat-warming sensation from the alcohol.

O – This is a decent amber ale. As with some other oaked beers from Terrapin that I’ve had, the oak is a bit overdone. It doesn’t necessarily taste or smell bad, but all the good amber ale characteristics are muted behind all the oak and vanilla. I’m glad I tried it, but I won’t seek it out again.

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: reddish in color with a short 1/2" head. Some moderate lace appears.

Smell: malt sweetness and some caramel is all that can be detected.

Taste: caramel, earthy tones, oak, some vanilla, a bit of fruitiness, and a hearty biting bitterness.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy in body. Smooth from start to finish. Long lasting aftertaste.

Overall: definite slow sipping beer. Bold flavors too.

3.57/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a brown but when held up to light you can see the reddish hue of this beer. Has a light tan head that dissipates after awhile.
S- Oak,Hops, and some caramel malts
T- Caramal malts with a nice oak background
M- Thin with solid carbonation
O- Theres a lot going on here but its well balanced and not over powering in any 1 area.

3.59/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served chilled into a snifter.

Pours chestnut brown with a quarter inch dark tan head that quickly recedes leaving minimal surface layer and lacing.

Strong aromas of caramelized sugar and pine resin.

Very strong initial flavors of the aforementioned caramelized sugar and pine resin but as it rests on the back of the tongue you get strong flavors of wood and hints of leather from the oak.

Medium to heavy bodied with moderate carbonation. Lingering aftertaste with very little alcohol burn.

Overall, not a bad beer if you like this particular flavor profile. Not overly complex but the flavors that are there definitely make their presence known.

3.61/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Pint Glass

S - Getting some wood, raisin, fig, some alcohol, some very mild fruity hops...and bourbon.

A - very dark reddish brown, with a one centimeter white head that seems to be fading pretty quick. Nice thin lines of lacing wrap the glass as I am drinking.

T/M - Big wood flavor comes through along with some Twizzler sweetness maybe?? sticky and syrupy and some sweet malt kicks in. I can tell its hopped well, but you can easily be fooled because malts take over so quickly with this brew. medium carbonation. For an abv of 10.6, this is very, very drinkable. Almost scary. I've seen some comparisons to "candy" in other reviews and after a few sips I can definitely see where these people are coming from. As your swallowing the beer packs a very sweet, candy like twist.

Overall - Well, I've taken a liking to red IPAS over the last few weeks and this one is pretty good. Terrapin did a really nice job covering up the alcohol bite considering an abv that almost hits 11%. This is a beer you need to sip on and not race to finish..Despite the name the one thing i will argue that this is not by any means a big hoppy monster of a beer haha...If this beer where named...perhaps...."Wood Burner Imperial Red Ale", it would match the flavor profile a hell of a lot better haha.... I didn't think I would like this with because i haven't liked a lot of things Terrapin has put out, but this is such a deep, complex beer that needs to be drank slow and appreciated for what it is. I like it.

3.62/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a nearly dark rusty red with an average bubbly tan-amber colored head on top. The color is nice and complex -- reminds me of Maine's amber ale. The head is dissipating rather quickly. Definitely like the color, though -- lacing isn't good, though.

S: First thing I smell is hops followed by some sweetness. Reminds me a bit of Nugget Nectar. Certainly get that oak smell too. There's some caramel in there some fruitiness. It's smells like a nice imperial red ale that's been oak-aged -- surprise.

T: Get a lot of the sweet malt followed by some oakiness with a nice bitter, slightly dry, finish. The hops are there, but trail behind the malts and oak. The fruitiness is there to, but way in the back for me. The beer warms the throat -- it's not boozy or anything. I'm just not quite sure I can give this beer a 4. Close but not quite.

M: Heavy medium feel. Light medium carbonation. A little bit of chewiness, which brings out the oak and booze. I really like the feel, and the warmness. But, it's just above average for me.

O: I want to like this beer more than I do, but than I do, but Nugget Nectar, Lagunitas IRA and Maine's Red Ale are all better than this. And, for me, those are the most comparable. I'm not quite sure the Oak adds much. It's a nice addition, but I just don't think the backbone is there. That said, it is a good beer, I'd drink it again, but I don't think I'd search it out. This would be a good extra in a trade.

Terrapin Oaked Big Hoppy Monster from Terrapin Beer Company