Terrapin Oaked Big Hoppy Monster - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Oaked Big Hoppy MonsterTerrapin Oaked Big Hoppy Monster

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  10.30% ABV

(Beer added by: GJ40 on 11-07-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Oaked Big Hoppy Monster Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

12 oz bottle, 2012 vintage. It was poured into my FIrestone Walker tulip.

Oak Aged Big Hoppy Monster pours a pretty clear ruby red, with some lighter red highlights. About two fingers of off white foam tops the beer, hanging around for a little bit before leaving a few chunks of lacing clinging to the glass. The nose is really nice, with aromas of caramel and oak mingling and playing off of a bit of resinous, piney hops. The flavor starts off with a healthy dose of caramel sweetness. A brief, but bracing bitterness follows, before allowing those same piney hops to come in. The finish though is straight oak, and a little more intense than is probably necessary. The body, while sturdy, stops well short of being syrupy or too heavy. The carbonation is definitely on the low side, in fact I'd probably say just a little too much. While this fresh bottle of oaked Big Hoppy Monster is drinking nicely, I think six months to a year of time will do some favors for the other bottle I have on hand.

2.75/5  rDev -28.4%

A - dark amber with a thin, off white head that has good retention

S - woody, earthy, alcohol, caramel, faint candy sugar

T - oaky, bready, caramel, juicy fruit, herbal, citrusy

M - medium bodied, smooth, well carbonated

This was a nice amber ale. Normally, I would have appreciated the oak touches here. I'm only disappointed because I love the regular Big Hoppy Monster. The oak here takes a bit away from the lucious malt flavors that I get from the original. On it's own it's a great beer, but in comparison to the original it leaves me wanting more. No matter the comparisons, it's definitely worth a try.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured a darkish brown with good two finger white head and lace down the glass on top of a very hoppy aroma mixed with oakey and slight sweet caramel and sugary malts. Taste is more of the same, as is mouthfeel, as a sturdy, heavy but easy passing beer goes over my tongue with a mix of grapefruit like hops, sugary sweetness, touch of oakiness and a dry, sturdy finish. Hops flavor profile is mostly like a wet, grape variety, and the malts are caramel and other sweetness and the beer is not too complex but has a good amount of depth. The dry finish is a great complement to a good beer and this is a very enjoyable sipper.

4.45/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This was a 12 pz bottle poured into a snifter.

It pours a dark brown and has medium clarity. It smells very oaky and some malts are present as well. It tastes oaky and malty up front and then eases off into a pleasant hop finish. It has a big body which is a plus in my book and has decent carbonation. I would recommend but I could only do one or two before my pallet would be wrecked.

3.43/5  rDev -10.7%

12 oz bottle from a four pack bought at Ned's.

Appearance: Hazy iced tea with almost no head. Leaves some spots of lacing.

Smell: Smells oaked and big, but not all that hoppy. Some caramel malt and a bit of toast. There is some sweet citrus hops, but nowhere near the original BHM.

Taste: Upfront lots of malt sweetness, but the heavy oak flavor takes over. Lots of toasty oak and vanilla. Too much. Finishes dry, woody, bitter.

Mouthfeel: Big upfront, but undercarbonated, and way too dry in the finish.

Overall: This is a big step down from big hoppy monster. I thought it sounded good, but its just OK.

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottle says 9.1%.

Appearance - Worrying lack of a pfft when I crack the cap. As I pour, there isn't much by way of bubbles. Not until the end do a few stray cream bubbles make an appearance. In the end, it has a collar on top of an opaque reddish brown body.

Smell - Oak, caramel malt, not a huge hop presence. Some of it's there, I guess, but it just smells like any other over-inflated red ale.

Taste - Better, for sure. More of a hop presence here. A little grapefruity. Lots of caramel and toasted malt. Maybe that's the oak, though. Gives it a little bit of a charred taste. Strong oak presence that becomes very dry in the back. Vanilla is all over in the finish. Oak lingers on the palate along with a hop bite.

Mouthfeel - The oak doesn't make it feel as big, but it's a slow drinker for an amber. The taste points to sweetness without really providing any.

Overall - Nothing terribly special. Too big for it's own good. I don't know why they had to make it even more alcohol than before. The oak is a nice foil to the malt, though.

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Lightly chilled 12 oz. bottle poured into a stemless tulip pint. 2012 vintage.

Look- Near opaque cream soda/dark ruby amber color with three fingers of dense toasted marshmallow head. Gobs of lace cling to the glass, excellent retention.

Smell- Resinous, earthy, powerful hop presence with a vague lemon feel that's all but overpowered by the dusky green aromas. Strong toast and burnt caramel notes, with a bit of sweeter toffee emerging as it warms. Swirling brings out some booze, candied pear, and a blast of woody vanillin. This is what I was hoping for, but hadn't dared to expect

Taste- Woah oaked. This one comes off as a vanillin-char-woody-toasty-boozy flavor bomb. Toffee, tea, and vague hints of bright citrus barely peek out past the strong barrely flavors. Not as bitter as expected. Big, bold, and not something I've ever encountered before. Not quite sure how I feel about it, but it's tasty and unique.

Mouthfeel- Medium-full body, light-medium carb, silky feel. Not particularly boozy for the ABV, lighter than expected. Good drinkability.

Overall- I've not had the original, but for some reason I feel like I would prefer it. Worth trying nonetheless.

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a nearly dark rusty red with an average bubbly tan-amber colored head on top. The color is nice and complex -- reminds me of Maine's amber ale. The head is dissipating rather quickly. Definitely like the color, though -- lacing isn't good, though.

S: First thing I smell is hops followed by some sweetness. Reminds me a bit of Nugget Nectar. Certainly get that oak smell too. There's some caramel in there some fruitiness. It's smells like a nice imperial red ale that's been oak-aged -- surprise.

T: Get a lot of the sweet malt followed by some oakiness with a nice bitter, slightly dry, finish. The hops are there, but trail behind the malts and oak. The fruitiness is there to, but way in the back for me. The beer warms the throat -- it's not boozy or anything. I'm just not quite sure I can give this beer a 4. Close but not quite.

M: Heavy medium feel. Light medium carbonation. A little bit of chewiness, which brings out the oak and booze. I really like the feel, and the warmness. But, it's just above average for me.

O: I want to like this beer more than I do, but than I do, but Nugget Nectar, Lagunitas IRA and Maine's Red Ale are all better than this. And, for me, those are the most comparable. I'm not quite sure the Oak adds much. It's a nice addition, but I just don't think the backbone is there. That said, it is a good beer, I'd drink it again, but I don't think I'd search it out. This would be a good extra in a trade.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

2.8/5  rDev -27.1%

Thanks again to AtlCarl as I work my way through all the beer that landed, with a resounding noise heard for blocks around, on my porch not long ago. 12 oz. bottle.

Pour is a clear light red that turns to mild murk as the last bit is poured from the bottle. Much like it's namesake sans oak, this is a beer dominated by malt (Big Malty Monster?) - my pharynx is filled to overflowing with sweet, sweet toffee. Neither hops nor oak appear on radar.

Oak Aged Big Hoppy Monster, once tasted, definitely needs a moniker change. Caramel malts flap in your face like a loose feather boa covered in sickly sweet honey. Oak is barely visible over the shoulder of the malts, & a tiny bite of vanilla appears. Hops? None. Heavy. After a few sips I feel like I've ingested three Krispy Kremes in less than a minute. Stomach, expanding.

Just like the original, this is a heavy, filing, brutal beast of a beer that gets points knocked off for false advertising.; I couldn't do more than six ounces, nor would I want to. This monster doesn't even frighten to mediocrity; sub-par.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Great to finally have this oaked.Poured into a standard pint a clear rich amber with a thinner slightly off white head atop that lasted well.Toastiness and brownsugar notes slightly out weigh the resiny hops,faint toast from the oak is there as well.A mix of caramel and brown sugar sweetness mixed with piney hops,again the oak is subdued wich might be a good thing.It's solid, not amazing by any strech but just a good oak aged hopped up "big" amber.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%