2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Terrapin Monk's Revenge - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Monk's RevengeTerrapin Monk's Revenge

good

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

Belgian IPA |  9.60% ABV

Availability: Spring

Originally Side Project #5, now a Spring release.

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-09-2009)
View: Beers (39) |  Events
Ratings: 603 | Reviews: 326 | Show All Ratings:
Darkmagus82

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Served on tap in a 10 oz chalice glass

Appearance – Served a hazy orange colored brew with a one finger white head. The head has a moderate level of retention slowly fading to give a lighter level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – Overall the smell was on the lighter side. Some bready and biscuit aromas created a bulk of the light aroma with a small amount of floral hop. Mixed with these were some aromas of tropical fruit and an orange citrus as well as some smells of a yeasty and spice aroma. The spice was of a nutmeg and coriander smell producing a very , while light, Belgian like aroma.

Taste – The taste is very Belgian triple like in the beginning with just a touch more hop flavor. It begins with a bready and somewhat citrus sweet flavor. There is a good presence of a yeasty and banana flavor upfront that gets even stronger as the taste advances to the middle. Some spice flavors of coriander and nutmeg mixed with a bit of orange peel become more pronounced toward the middle of the taste. Soon however the flavor starts to distance itself from the standard triple once more peppery and hoppy flavors start coming to the tongue more toward the middle to the end. Some bitter grapefruit hop mixed with a floral hop take the taste to its end where a bitter and malty, somewhat drier flavor, is left to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the medium side for the style and for the abv with a carbonation level that is average to just a touch below average. Both were rather appropriate for the style and were a good combination for the citrus, hop, and spice flavors of the brew.

Overall – It starts out very Triple like and then advances to being much more hop bittered. A little more bitter at the end then is quite complementing of the sweeter triple flavors, but interesting and quite drinkable none the less. Not bad and worth a try.

03-13-2013 00:46:49 | More by Darkmagus82
kylehay2004

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Half finger head on a deep golden hazy body. Lots of lacing.

S: very yeasty, fruity and herbal hop presence.

T: very yeasty, lots of grain, bittersweet corriander with fruits mostly sour melon, green apple and green grape. Bittering hops are well applied.

M: medium body and light to moderate carbonation. A semi dry finish.

Overall: this one is much not earthy ad herbal than others I have head. Very Belgian, this is a very nice brew.

08-27-2012 01:56:44 | More by kylehay2004
julian89

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

I've had this beer several times recently. It's my new favorite from Terrapin.
From tap to pint glass.

Appearance: A hazy orange yellow body with a dense half inch white head and minimal lacing.

Smell: So sweet with strong white wine smells, a lot of white grape dominates.

Taste: It's a strong taste of sweet, bready malts and white grape notes. I feel a similar backround to orange blossom pilsner. The subtle fruit mix is amazing , orange, citrus, pinot gris,... and the hops aren't as pronounced as what I would expect for a triple IPA. Wow, what a great medley of taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation.

Drinkability: Oh, so good, good job Athens, from a GT alum.

06-21-2012 22:31:51 | More by julian89
Radome

3.88/5  rDev +1%

Tasted on tap at Mellow Mushroom Pizza in Destin, FL.

A - White head has only wisps on the surface plus lacing. Beer color is dark amber. Slightly hazy.

S - Main component is US hops. Some malt and brown sugar in the background. Smells nice but very out of character for style.

T - Upfront West Coast hops. Secondarily there are some Abbey flavors like plums, brown sugar, bready malt and Belgian yeast notes.

M - Strong hops bitterness. Light carbonation. Light to medium body.

O - Not what I was hoping for when I ordered the only Belgian-sounding thing on the menu. It seems more like an American Pale Ale with some Belgian characteristics than anything. However, it is an enjoyable beer even for a die-hard Belgian fan like me. I'd prefer the emphasis to be on malt and yeast, but this is a good beer.

10-11-2011 22:00:52 | More by Radome
Stinkypuss

Terrapin Monk's Revenge

Poured ontap into a snifter, orangish gold in color with a white head and some lacing. Aroma of belgian yeast, floral hops, citrus. Taste is pretty straight forward, belgian yeast lending a peppery note. Some earthy hops adds flavors of pine, rind and a residual bitterness. White pepper and a dry coriander spice. Medium bodied feel, nice and clean. Overall a solid Belgian/American brew.

05-03-2011 20:54:53 | More by Stinkypuss
Aaron420

3.45/5  rDev -10.2%

Had this one on-tap at Harrika's Brew Haus in Swansboro Nc.

A: It poured a mild translucent red, amber color with a medium sized white head that left a small amount of lacing.

S: It had a rather yeasty and malty smell. No to much hoppiness for an IPA.

T: The Belgium yeast comes out strong in the initial taste followed by a very small taste of hops but still not enough for being called an IPA.

M:This was a very smooth drinking beer for the 9% ABV that it is I put down two of hem while doing my beer shopping. Not to much carbonation and a very smooth drinker.

O: It was a pretty good beer I have a couple more in my fridge to drink on some warm nights. I am not going to drive all over NC looking for them but if I went to a bar and saw it on tap I would order another one.

05-03-2011 20:14:38 | More by Aaron420
dmbsteve

Tennessee

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Brick Store Pub.
Pours light orange/copper color with thin white head that dissipates to a ring with small patches. Tiny specks of lacing.

Smells piney and earthy, much like a highly hopped west coast IPA. Aroma gave me high expectations for the taste..

Citrusy hops come right out front in the taste, followed by a distinctive esthery spiciness from the Belgian yeast. But then a warming alcohol comes and lingers for a long time. Any malt character seems to be overpowered by the hops and alcohol.

Body is medium. Warmth from the alcohol lingers at the back of the tongue and throat longer than I would prefer.

This beer definitely packs a punch and you can feel it after just a few drinks. I like what they were going for with the hops but the abv makes it too much to handle. Glad to say that I've tried it but I think one is enough for me.

05-01-2011 03:20:26 | More by dmbsteve
Tucquan

3.2/5  rDev -16.7%

Had this on 2010-06-08 at Rivermont Pizza in Lynchburg, VA (from tasting notes)

A - Hazy copper with a short, white head.

S - Belgian mustiness from the yeast, corn muffin, alcohol. Not all that interesting.

T - Tastes like a combo of a Triple and a DIPA. Interesting experiment but it doesn't work for me. I'm not a fan of belgian yeast and West Coast style hoping. Initial roasted grain, belgian yeast followed by the hop bitterness but without pine or much citrus. Then a sour taste and a fairly dry, clean finish with some lingering bitterness. The alcohol is pretty apparent. It seems to me this beer doesn't know what it wants to be.

M - Light-medium body and carbonation. Mildly creamy.

D - No thanks but I applaud the effort.

01-03-2011 16:05:27 | More by Tucquan
OWSLEY069

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a hazy yellow to orange-ish color with an off white head. In the aroma, a small dry yeasty and Belgian like sugar and a grapefruity citrus hop. In the taste, grapefruity hops and a thin malt backing. A small bite and medium to light mouthfeel, with a semi dry citrus aftertaste. Nice big hops, Belgian like, but a bit thin.

08-25-2010 15:04:12 | More by OWSLEY069
drabmuh

Maryland

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

On tap at a local beer bar, served in a tulip glass. Beer is dark yellow and clear. Forms a thick white head of small and medium bubbles. Carbonation is high as well as the lacing. Looks great.

Aroma is really strong and sweet, with only a mild presence of hops. I have no idea what to expect now.

Beer is strong and sweet up front with a nicely bitter and not dry finish. Its pretty smooth in the mouth but overall there's something about the hops that aren't working for me. All the flavors are there they just are merged into a single thought. Overall its a pretty good beer and Belgian IPAs are usually a mixed bag. This was is above average.

06-08-2010 17:37:48 | More by drabmuh
jeddsp

4.28/5  rDev +11.5%

This beer is now being offered as a regular series instead of a side project here in Atl. What can I say....I haven't met a terrapin that I Haven't likes and this beer is no different. I got to try this beer on tap at a local beer festival and was overjoyed at the hoppiness of this IPA. Great taste...great feel...great drinkability...what more can I say...I'll be stocking my fridge with some.

05-31-2010 19:58:00 | More by jeddsp
adkirkish

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%

On tap at the coffee district / Poured into tulip glass

A: Upfront belgian and saison, light citrus hop aroma. Characteristically belgian in aroma, not necessarily IPA / IIPA.

A: Pours copper/bronze, slight chill haze, thin creamy head and a slight ring of lacing.

F: Upfront belgian/saison presence, I get notes of hops in the aftertaste but nothing major. Fruity and melon, and I got a little note of canteloupe in the body.

M: Medium to full bodied, creamy w/ the carbonation. (The best feature of this beer).

O: I think that this is a good belgian beer. Very drinkable and I love the creamy texture, but I believe it to be lacking in the IPA part to consider it a Belgian IPA. My only suggestion would be to add to the hop aroma and flavor to bump it up. If these areas were improved, I would bump my rating up to the 4 range.

05-25-2010 20:33:51 | More by adkirkish
chaz410

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%

Got this on tap at the flying saucer.
MUCH better than last year!!
Pours yellow/amber body wit thin white head that disappears quickly.
Smells of citrus hops with a little bit of pine and some faint belgian funky bubblegum musk.
Taste like a mild citrisy IPA with a thick belgian caramel malt underlining. Very balanced compared to last year. Good crisp finish but with some nice subtle toasty and malty belgian layering.
Very smooth mouthfeel and very drinkable for nearly 10 percent!

04-06-2010 03:05:26 | More by chaz410
Hojaminbag

Colorado

3.38/5  rDev -12%

An orange body that is rusty in the center, but fades to apricot around the edges. Almost no head at all. What little head that exists fades very quickly, whitout leaving any lacing.

Smell has some hops resin in it, but more belgian character than hops. Some surgary aromas and fruits.

I have trouble distinguishing this one from a hopped up tripel to be honest. There is a lot of sugary, candied sweetness. There are some fruits in there also; pineapple is pretty noticeable, probably the biggest flavor in this one. There is a touch orange and a quick blast of slightly bitter hops up front.

Medium bodied, low on the carbonation, rather dry.

OK drinkability. This one just didn't impress me all that much.

06-05-2009 22:49:31 | More by Hojaminbag
ahurd11085

3.8/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap.

A: Golden honey color with a bit of haziness. 3/4" fluffy white head that leaves mild lacing.

S: Typical Belgian triple smells up front with notable sweetness and fruitiness. Strong hop presence with strong citrus notes. Light alcohol on the tail end. Yummy smelling, but not as strong as I was expecting.

T: This is where this brew shines! Fantastic sweet malt backbone with a strong honey presence and a bit of light fruit. The hops take over from there with a strong melon rind presence and just the right amount of bitterness. Pleasant alcohol/bittersweet aftertaste.

M: Very much like a DIPA, very slick, oily and a bit chewy. Could go for a hint more carbonation, a first for a Terrapin brew IMO.

D: Good. While I would be hard pressed to put down more than a glass or two of this in a night I would have no trouble revisiting it a few times a week.

04-02-2009 02:12:51 | More by ahurd11085
gabeerfan

3.88/5  rDev +1%

Pours a clear honey, amber-orange color with fluffy head that takes a while to disappear.
Has a lot of the usual Belgian aromas. Lots of fruit, orange juice, lime juice and candy sugar. Grassy and earthy hops are pretty prominent as well.
Lots of Belgian flavors to along with the aroma. But, the hops come to the forefront. Grassy, earthy, and citrus rind. It has the candy sugar and sweet fruits. While the hops play a significant role, the sweetness really comes through.
A little syrupy and oily, but good, small-bubble carbonation keeps the palate fairly clean.
Pretty drinkable. It seemed a little hot to drink all night, but it's a good sipper.
A very good offering from Terrapin and glad to see them reach successfully beyond the norm.

03-28-2009 16:25:58 | More by gabeerfan
ChainGangGuy

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

Appearance: Hazed, orange-gold body with a ½ inch of creamy-looking, white head.

Smell: Fragrant tropical fruit medley aroma paired with some spicy and sweet-smelling candy notes and just a splash of white wine.

Taste: Sweet malts with a hint of breadiness and covered in orange blossom honey and candi sugar. Meager pinch of cracked cloves. Send in the fruits; everything from pineapple to nectarine to grapefruit to even some yeast-derived banana. Moderate hop bitterness. Tiny pinch of acidity. Small sip of Pinot Gris. Oily citrus peel character and a final touch of spice on the bittersweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a bolstered oily heft to it. Medium-high carbonation, though I did have a bottle earlier which had a fairly low carbonation.

Drinkability: Why, it's a veritable hoot! Reminiscent of Stone's Cali-Belgique. The writing of this review paired well with the Murray Head song "One Night in Bangkok" playing on the TV behind me. Ah, Murry Head, we hardly knew ye.

03-27-2009 14:53:52 | More by ChainGangGuy
brewskifan55

Mississippi

3.86/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a snifter

A: Opaque, burnt orange with a white half-finger head that leaves light lacing.

S: Belgian yeast, citrus, floral

T: What a nice surprise. Didn't know what to expect. Sweet, malty, floral, grapefruity. A really nice balance of hops and malts and Belgian goodies. Alcohol drops by to kick some turtle ass.

M: Medium with medium carbonation.

O: A really great hybrid. Everyone at the tasting was inpressed. Recommended.

10-31-2013 21:20:30 | More by brewskifan55
Mojo

Alabama

4.01/5  rDev +4.4%

12 ounce bottle -> Grand Teton Brewing tulip glass

A - pours up a hazy peachy/apricot color with a one finger head, minimal retention, minimal lacing.

S - weak nose, mostly a peach smell

T - This one took me by surprise. At 9.6 ABV I expected it to be pretty boozy. But the alcohol is very well hidden. This seems to be a perfect hybrid between a Belgian and an IPA. The first flavor is very sweet and citrusy giving way to a dry finish. Neither dominates the other.

M - surprisingly light and pleasant.

O - this is an easy drinking beer considering how big it is. I normally don't like really big beers, (defined by me as above 8%) but this one is a notable exception.

10-10-2013 03:26:05 | More by Mojo
jeff1973

3.81/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into Stone IRS tulip. Bottled on 3/23/13, so about 7 mos old. Acquired in trade. Thanks beerbyrd!

A - Slightly cloudy burnt orange. Eggshell heads leaves good lacing.

S - Bubblegum, band-aid, peach, orange. Very aromatic.

T - More like a Tripel than a Belgian IPA. The bubblegum, peach, and orange come out and the taste is quite sweet, before drying out in the finish. Get very little hop bitterness, but then again this bottle is 7 mos old.

M - Medium, with a lively carbonation that is refreshing.

O - Really good beer that hides the high ABV very well. Easy beer to drink. Only knock is would like more hop bitterness. Would like to try a fresher bottle.

09-26-2013 02:17:56 | More by jeff1973
oceanrue

I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...I enjoyed this very much...

09-25-2013 17:50:57 | More by oceanrue
scotorum

4.06/5  rDev +5.7%

While in Florida on business, I grabbed some stuff I can't find up north. This was one of the best of the ten I tried.

I was surprised at how good this was. Typical Belgian tripel taste all the way with good hop bite. Almost ideal for its type. Masterfully made and I would expect it would be sure to please any lover of such. The high ABV is well covered. So good it makes the name seem ironic.

09-09-2013 19:25:56 | More by scotorum
Ego

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

growler from joe canals in edison.. or is it woodbridge technically ? oy...

eyes...
low audible head on a slightly raucous pour, kinda murky dull orange, the lacing is pretty absent but in place is legs from the kicked up ABV, a jailbreak of midget bubbles explodes from the bottom of the glass as if escaping from a would be clown car or the line at your typical roller coaster

nose...
at first hops, but then spicy tripel notes - slightly bready with strong banana, dry sugar, a sense of the alcohol haunting around in the back, light fruit notes like pear, interesting

taste etc...
a hybrid indeed, you get the sort of IPAish hop signature but yet all the hallmarks of a tripel/belgian, it drinks sort of light weight with just enough bite in the feel department, you get initial hops but then mild belgian flavors (which I think the hops help to balance out), the nose meets the flavor mostly here, you have some banana tone with bready not quite yeasty notes ... it starts to get into some sweetness but the hops prevent it from ever reaching that stage, and the aftertaste is a strange (but pleasant) mix of nice bitters, sweet bready flavor, some natural honey notes, and a soft fruit dryness (along with a definite knock from the alcohol)

verdict?
deceptively smooth, a really nice blend for my taste, I don't love some belgians (usually too sweet) but this cuts the difference with hops ... and who can argue with that? a very americanized beer in a good way

Serving type: growler

09-08-2013 04:38:30 | More by Ego
BottleOfPills

West Virginia

3.59/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Got this beer while on vacation a couple weeks ago at Publix in Destin/Fort Walton Beach, Florida. There should actually be a few of these posts and this is the so-called "first-of".

This is a Belgian Style India Pale Ale - says so right on the bottom and like always I have no freaking clue what it means to be "Belgian Style" of an IPA..

I poured mine into a glass (type unsure) as I'm hiding out in my hotel in Detroit this eve and this is all they had. My beer is served too cold as I've kept it in a cooler on ice.

Once poured it's a dark amber color, with a hue of red or reddish brown. Mine didn't leave much of a head mayb due to the temperature of the beer, but instead large carbonation bubbles clinging to side and pushing up along the sides and leaving a slim quick disapating ring along the outside.

The smell is fruit, citrus, or something like. Not off puting and not overly mentionable.

Where the smell reminds me of citrus, the taste at first is anything but. More spicey and earthy to me, malts prevail but not overly so. Only after the first few seconds or partial second does the citrus come into play - orange and coriander. I get some hop taste doesn't overpower and is quite good.

Mouthfeel in my case is probably skewed by the fact mine is served so cold, but it feels my mouth with cool carbonation the way I like my beers. Not creamy and not syrupy. A crisp Clean fluid.

Overall I think it's a pretty damn good beer, not one I would go look for, but definitly one I would purchase every now and then. Especially where I live in WV as not many places have it - thus I'd probably purchase when I saw it.

Pretty good.

08-15-2013 21:11:59 | More by BottleOfPills
writerLJBerg

Oregon

3.3/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

From Westmeister. Thanks!

A: Burnt orange color with a thin, white bubbly head. Decent legs.

N: Pronounced pine and Belgian yeast. Some bubblegum and clove. A hint of banana. Grass and bread.

T: Very, very bready and sweet. Lots of sweetness and very little hop bitterness. This is definitely closer to the Belgian tripel than the DIPA.

M: Medium body. Alcohol is very well hidden.

O: No idea how to properly rate this one. On one hand, there’s little to no hop presence, on the other hand, it’s much closer to the Belgian trippel than many of the other American renditions of the style. So, it loses points with me for the former, but this is actually pretty decent with the latter.

08-09-2013 22:12:31 | More by writerLJBerg