Terrapin Thirty Strong - Terrapin Beer Company

No picture uploaded.

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Strong Ale |  8.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-09-2009)

jophish17, Nov 14, 2011

On-tap at Deckard's American Tavern in Atlanta.

Pours an opaque brownish-amber color with a one-finger cream-colored head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of sweet caramel malts with hints of toastiness. Also present are moderate amounts of vanilla aromas with slight amounts of earthy hops.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Smooth caramel malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by mild amounts of vanilla. Hints of chocolate flavors make a brief appearance along with butterscotch midway through the sip. Right before the end of the sip a moderate bitterness comes in with good amounts of leafy hop flavors and carries through to a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I had no problems finishing the glass and could have another.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer for the style but the hop bitterness seemed out of place. I'd be interested to know what this beer tasted like fresh as I would imagine the hop bitterness would be less grating due to the presence of increased hop flavors. Still, it's aged nicely and is worth a shot if you see it around.

glid02, Jan 06, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -14.2%

Reviewed on 06/22/2009. On draft. Pours a cloudy orange/brown with a small head. Aroma of grassy hops and caramel malt. Flavor is quite sweet with lots of caramel and sweet malt. No hops in the flavor though. Hmm, I was a little let down by this one in the end.

LilBeerDoctor, Jul 11, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

hazy dark amber/orangey appearance, thin white head, poured at taco mac.

given the huge ingredient list, there wasn't much smell to it. a bit of sweet grains, but the nose was weak enough that i couldn't discern much else. still, i've been impressed by the taste of many beers that are weak in the nose and this one's no exception.

pick a flavor and take a sip, you'll probably find it in this beer. sweet grains are the most apparent characteristic. caramel and vanilla as well. fresh bread and biscuits. hops are there but take a backseat, adding light floral and citrus flavors and a bit of bitterness. definitely some woody notes as well. as the malt sweetness recedes bits of spice and fruit become more apparent. alcohol flavor is well attenuated by all the other stuff in this beer. certainly a strong ale, but not a boozy one.

mouthfeel was about medium or a bit heavier. there's a nice bready fullness to it. loiters on the tongue for a while but isn't too sticky. very nicely done.

it's obvious that there's tons of stuff in this beer. picking out individual ingredients by taste might be tough because it all rolls together, but i really enjoyed it in the way that the whole is more than the sum of the parts. the beer actually ends fairly cleanly for all the flavors it has in the middle, i grinned through the last drop and wanted another right away.

biggiesmallz, May 17, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +3%

On tap at Taco Mac Metropolis. Happy Birthday!

Pours a cloudy orangish brown with a soapy tan head that shows decent retention and lacing.

I had to let the beer warm up a bit before I could smell anything, and when I did it wasn't overpoweringly aromatic. There were hops up front but with tons of caramel malts and lots of different fruits that I couldn't differentiate between. The spices became more evident as it warmed as well.

The taste was a better and more powerful version of the nose. Where to start? There was an initial floral hop bitterness that almost immediately gave way to a wildly varying array of sweet fruits, caramel and vanilla sweetness and plenty of different spices. I'd be kidding myself if I said I could figure out half of the things I was tasting. I definitely do think I got some rye spiciness and some tobacco in the finish though.

The mouthfeel is medium to full with a sticky thickness from both the sweet aspects and the hops in the flavor that lingers for a while.

Well, I really think I need to sit down and have another glass of this one as I know it's a good beer, but I had trouble getting a cohesive beer with all the things going on. That said, I really think it would come together extremely well over time...if only they had bottled it.

gford217, May 14, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

30 ingredients? I had to see what this amalgamation resulted in. Cheers to Taco Mac's 30th.

Pours cloudy, and tan in color. It looks like a darkish wheat beer, actually... I think the pour resulted in the razor thin, off-white head, because the lacing was rather thick as I drank the beer. Another issue with my pint was it was freezing, I could not pick up much in the aroma, until the glass warmed. I get the sweet malt upfront in the smell, but a mix of spice and hops adds another dimension to the aroma. There are some complexities, when you work at smelling it, that come through, but the aroma is not very strong. I really enjoyed the flavor of this beer, though, Spike somehow struck a balance of all the malts and hops included in the beer. I looked at the list of malts and hops, and honestly, I can't break it all out with my palate. Safe to say, the malts create a nice caramel sweetness to the taste, and the hops spice it up, but don't overtake it. I amazed that the number of different hops didn't overtake the flavor more, but obviously they were greatly outweighed by the malts. The hops (and maybe a high fermentation temp?) do add a citrusy hint to the sweetness as you continue to drink it, but maintains a sweet base, overall. Even with all these ingredients, it is not syrupy thick, really a just right balance. I am impressed by the drinkability, even with all the things going on in the beer, it manages to go down easy. An enjoyable, unique, brew that definitely lives up to the name.

bhalter8, May 12, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +16.6%

Initially sampled in delightfully copious amounts at the Terrapin Anniversary Party back on April 11th. Now, I'm enjoying it down at my local Taco mac in Kennesaw.

Appearance: Obscured, brownish-amber body with a frothy, off-white head that yielded a nice coating of lace on the way down.

Smell: The aroma presents an elaborate multitude of both malt and hop scents all bound up with a tidy bow of piquant oak wood. Each visit to the nose is a little bit different, at times it's a bit spicy, sweet-scented, bready, or even earthy.

Taste: All at once, a dizzying, complex array of malt flavors blitz past the tongue: some toasty, grainy, bready, caramel-coated, roasty, and, yes, there's even the anticipated touch of spicy rye. Overall, there's a fairly subdued sweetness. The addition of oak is noticeable, but certainly is not a stand out flavor -- heck, with so many ingredients and so much going on within the beer, none of them were. There're plenty of various hop flavors to be found as well, some earthy, citrusy, fruity, and some even downright pithy. Medium-high bitterness. Farther down the 20 ounce mug, fruity hop tastes of tangerine and grapefruit began to shine through a bit more. Finishes dry, warming, and with a slight lingering spiciness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body, thankfully neither too thin nor grotesquely heavy. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: It was great fun watching various tasters at the anniversary party try to interpret and correctly decipher the 30 ingredients. I safely assumed "water" was included, sort of like the "FREE" square in Bingo. Also, I fully felt an inclusion of oak wood and rye was another safe bet as, well, Terrapin likes both the oak and rye. I recall hearing everything from maple to smoked malts to chamomile to honey (which, I'll admit, I thought may have been included). Another interesting creation from Terrapin, and here's to many more.

ChainGangGuy, May 09, 2009
Terrapin Thirty Strong from Terrapin Beer Company
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.