Terrapin Midnight Project Depth Charge Espresso Milk Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Midnight Project Depth Charge Espresso Milk StoutTerrapin Midnight Project Depth Charge Espresso Milk Stout

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 09-11-2009)
ltdantheman

02-20-2012 23:13:35 | More by ltdantheman
biniek13

11-16-2011 21:06:22 | More by biniek13
pavpav12

Poured into darkness snifter.

Pours 1/2 finger of tan head. Color is pretty much black. Head fades down to a ring. Not to much lace.

Aroma: Cocoa with rich espresso.

Taste: Creamy with lactose flavors. Milk chocolate and cocoa powder. Rich espresso flavors.

Mouthfeel: Roasted and creamy with some bitterness. Ends with roasted malts and coffee flavors in the aftertaste.

Overall, it is a very good beer.

09-04-2010 17:35:56 | More by pavpav12
cpinto6

11-19-2011 11:27:43 | More by cpinto6
thegreatbeerer

i appologize for the lazy review but i'm tired.

tired of coffee stout tasting like this mornings drip mixed with last nite's budweiser hang over.
sour, lingering, wish i had pancakes with syrup, but i'm not in perkins bull s.

this beer, on the other hand is phenomenally well balanced. like espresso and milk.

everyone else is drinking drip coffee with a little plastic creamer. but we( i hope) are (thanx to terrapin and left hand) drinking espresso and milk.

god thats beautiful

the idiot savant of coffee stouts

simple but genious

if they dont start making this beer everyday i'll kill myself

just kidding. settle down.

but really if they don't i'll never drink this beer again.

uh yeah that was a lie. i would drink this beer any time i can get my hands on it.

thank you and @#$% you terrapin and left hand

03-26-2010 01:38:37 | More by thegreatbeerer

shuajw

11-14-2011 14:38:38 | More by shuajw
BeerSox

22oz bomber into nonic.

Pitch black with a dense one finger light brown head that settles to a thin cap, with a bank of bubbles on the side.

The aroma is extremely sweet, and almost smells just like a cappuccino, equipped with whipped cream. The roasted malts and strong espresso mix with an obvious creaminess.

The coffee and roasted malts complement each other very well, and the sweet creaminess is there, which matches the taste of dark coffee when met with a touch of whipped cream. A little bit of chocolate flavor makes its way through. Full bodied, with a good amount of carbonation, but not too much.

This is a good coffee beer, as it's full of flavor but not too rich to the point that it's cloyingly sweet and almost undrinkable. If you like bold coffee, you'll like this bold stout. Recommended.

09-27-2009 01:38:28 | More by BeerSox
jdg204

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

After thoroughly enjoying Terrapin's Coffee Oatmeal Stout, I was excited to see the email from Abe's Cold Beer that they had received Depth Charge! I've become pretty conscious that you've gotta grab these LE's as soon as they're available, so I scooped one up right away!

A: Deep brown in color with a nice mocha head that slowly falls and leaves good lacing.

S: Rich espresso and semi-sweet chocolate dominates the profile with a bit of hops underneath.

T: Amazing chocolate espresso flavors open things up, extremely well balanced dark roast coffee and semi-sweet chocolate (with a touch of dark fruit). Perfect hoppy bitterness provides an incredible finish.

M: Medium/heavy body, good carbonation. Very smooth sipping beer with an amazing aftertaste.

D: Well it looks like ST's Jahva finally has some company at the #1 spot on my beer ratings! I cannot believe how amazing this beer was, it literally blew my mind. After getting only a whiff, my pregnant wife insisted I get an extra bottle for her to drink after our baby girl is born early next year, it was that good! The chocolate/ espresso flavor was better than any high end coffee shop is offering, I kept expecting to find ground coffee and cocoa beans in there. This brew is not for the faint of heart as it goes out of its way to show off its coffee credentials and delivers in spades! If you're like me and love coffee Stouts, try this beer immediately!

10-11-2009 03:36:36 | More by jdg204
DmanGTR

Review from notes.

Poured black as ever with a tannish head that retained well and gave bits of lacing here and there. The aromas are packed with rich, creamy expresso and dark chocolate. Lots of dark chocolate, coffee, and sweet creaminess. There is a lot going on here but it is all in wonderful balance and taste. The creaminess lends an excellent mouthfeel, quite velvety smooth and rich. I would drink this all day.

Thanks for the opportunity Jay!

02-10-2010 16:00:29 | More by DmanGTR
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

I wasn't expecting this one-off to make it to Tn but I walked into a bottle shop in Nashville and there it was... Like an idiot, I only picked up one... I'm kicking myself...

This pours into a Duvel tulip absolutely pitch black... Very rich and deep looking with a creamy mocha head....almost looks Imperial...

Huge robust aromas of freshly ground coffe beans explode out of the glass and has me wondering why this one isn't made all of the time... It smells terrific... Very rich and espresso-like... You can almost smell the bitterness of the coffee...

Sharp bitter roasted espresso right off and up front....slight hints of chocolate as well but this is all about that Jittery Joe's... This isn't overdone like some coffee stouts.. Terrapin's Wake and Bake is another terrific one so these guys definitely know what they are doing...Left Hand is a terrific brewery as well so I knew this would be stupid good.. And it is..

Mouthfeel is a little thinner than what I'd like but this is still fairly creamy especially when it warms a little...

This needs to be a year round offering or hell, at least a seasonal or something... Its that good...

The best sweet stout I've ever had, hands down.. Just a terrific brew...

11-21-2009 01:04:12 | More by Tilley4
Phillyphilms

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured at Varga bar during 2010 Philyl Beer Week. Holy Sh1t! This was amazing.

pours a very dark brown with a great multi finger head of tan.. lacing all over the place and a nose full of coffee.. espresso and coffee. Did I mention coffee?

So easy drinking. Being a coffee and beer lover.. this was total nirvana in a beer glass. Literally one of the more enjoyable things I have ever put in my mouth. Dark on the eyes yet light on the mouth with creamy accents.

One of my favorite new beer experiences. I wish I had a case of this to push it on everyone I know. World Class Coffee Stout that is a must-try for any serious beer drinker. Just might be the best coffee stout I have ever had.

06-09-2010 06:55:36 | More by Phillyphilms
Bennettrox

Tennessee

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

A - Pours black as night with a bubbly tan head. Looks like a robust stout.

S - Two years later and this still smells strong of espresso and coffee. Very surprised it's held up this long and so well. Very sweet milk chocolate also comes through.

T - Wow, it's like a holy union of milk chocolate, espresso, and roasted malts. It all plays together absolutely perfectly.

M - Full body for a milk stout and the carbonation is right on the money. This goes down very easily.

O - Hot damn, I would kill for a case of this. I am especially surprised on how well this has held up with age. With the relatively low abv I figured it wouldn't age as well and the espresso would be gone, boy was I wrong. LOVE this beer, can only imagine what it was like fresh.

05-13-2011 22:33:36 | More by Bennettrox
obireidkenobi

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

I took these notes with my first bottle a while back. I'm late to the party on this one.

I didn't know what to expect with this beer, other than Left Hand/ Terrapin's great brewing styles potentially culminating into something amazing. Especially when I learned how the beer was being planned out.

Appearance - Black, with coffee/crema like head.

Aroma - Coffee. Some chocolate. Straight forward.

Taste - Love a first taste. This beer is creamy/ milky. Slightly sweet with coffee keeping it all together. Some tastes its like espresso shots. Some tastes like drip style coffee.

Mouthfeel - Again, creamy, and silky. Not heavy at all.

Drinkablility - Very drinkable. Since this review is a little behind. I can honestly say I have continued to go back for more every time a keg or bottle appeared.

Depth Charge, you will be missed.

09-07-2010 15:06:02 | More by obireidkenobi
jsh420

huge thanks to Thorpe429

pours dark dark brown almost black with a huge 3+ finger tan head that left spotted lacing all over the glass

smells of coffee and sweet cream

taste is great - just like have a my morning coffee with some milk and sugar

mouthfeel is very light and creamy

drinkability is out of this world - its just to bad that this was a limited brewed only once beer

this is the best coffee (light stout) i have ever had - gives peche a run for its money

04-08-2010 01:43:09 | More by jsh420
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Appearance: This beer poured a dark brown, blackish color with a tan head. Lacing present throughout.

Smell: Espresso. Espresso. Espresso. And chocolate.

Taste: WOW. Amazing. Tastes like espresso and chocolate but not in an offensive way like many coffee beers can be. Perhaps the lactose helps balance it out properly.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth beer. Not as heavy as one would imagine. Carbonation is minimal.

Overall: I hate coffee but this beer blew my mind. THIS is the perfect after dinner beer. I only wish I had purchased more. Oh well.

11-06-2009 16:19:57 | More by Beerbuddha
mgbickel

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Duck Rabbit snifter. A thick, 2 finger, milk chocolate colored head formed quickly and slowly receded down to a thin layer, leaving webs of lace on the glass walls. The body is just about as dark as you can get...black and deep...no light can get through.

Wonderful nose! Lots of roasted malts, milk chocolate, heavy cream, freshly ground coffee and even a little vanilla extract.

The taste is right in line with the nose...Starts off with the sweeter malts and lactose, the center brings out more roasted characters and the finish is more on the bitter side (coffee, dark chocolate). This is more like a desert in a glass...yum!

The mouth feel is a medium (on the thicker side), very creamy with light to moderate carbonation.

Man...this is right up there with the big boys! Extremely drinkable, very tasty and well balanced. Wish I had a few more...

06-02-2010 18:42:24 | More by mgbickel
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.78/5  rDev +13.8%

Ok, so I had heard this might make an appearance and I was already looking around for it. Once I found it I just could not get enough. Poured from a bottle into my glass on several occasions.

The pour was what I would have thought, deep and very dark in color with almost no light shining through here at all. Really very big looking. Nice tan head on top settled down nicely and coated the glass well. Aroma is all coffee, this is really all it was at first. Sweet brewed coffee and brown sugar with light hints of molasses. Very nicely done here, reminded me right off the bat of Valdez the first time I ran across it. I was anxious to dive in so I took the first sip and that was all she wrote. Huge coffee flavor, just so sweet and ridiculously smooth. Like the best cup of coffee I have ever had. Blended perfectly with a rich brown sugar and vanilla note, it was like nothing I had before. Not as heavy as some others, but it did not need to be because I would have kept drinking this one all day long.

Overall I cannot wait to be able to get more of this one near me again. One of the best coffee offerings I have ever run across, and I have managed to find most of them in my days. This is a must find and I am hopeful there will be lots of it to find around!

09-21-2009 17:25:01 | More by mikesgroove
GilGarp

Colorado

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from a sticky bomber (not fully cleaned off at the bottling line, I guess) into a pint glass. Served slightly chilled from cellar temp.

It has a redish black color with good clarity. The bone white head lingers a short while and leaves a small curtain of lace on the side of the glass.

Aroma is extremely big on coffee. A touch of sweetness and lots of roasted coffee beans.

Flavor is really great. It's exactly what it says on the label. A milk stout with a big healthy dose of coffee. The flavors really balance out well. It's got a lot of coffee flavor but very low on bitterness. This may disappoint some people but I think it lets the milk stout aspect shine through all the better.

It has awesome smoothness on the tongue. Medium-large body and very low on carbonation without being flat. Silky smooth and creamy with great balance.

Overall it's awesome and exactly what the brewers set out to create.

11-16-2009 02:34:18 | More by GilGarp

Maryland

02-17-2014 00:10:33 | More by baerb69
cooch69

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

Depth Charge is so awesome, it should be illegal. Well come to think of it making it a limited release is almost that bad. The label is really neat with the mad cow and everything. The artwork was labeled Pinkerton. I'm guessing John.
Depth Charge was a very dark barely opaque to the light black. It has a small off white head but I'm not sure how long it stuck around because the beer was gone pretty quickly.
The nose on this beer was full of coffee, some sweetness, and chocolate over tones. It was pretty obvious that it would taste a lot like coffee but not as much as my actual sip.
This beer is spot on with the coffee. It is hands down the cleanest and best coffee taste I ever had in a beer. It is reminiscent of a medium bodied coffee with one sugar and a shot of milk. The coffee blends so efortlessly with the stout that you can't tell the defference between the two. There is hardly any hops present in the aroma or the taste. And I'm really glad they chose to brew it that way.
Creamy Creamy Creamy Velvet all over the tongue.
This beer is ultimately easy to drink at 7%abv. In fact it's easy to drink at 4%abv. Hands down one of the best stouts ever. The only thing that stopped me from getting a case was the 9.95 per bottle sticker.

08-26-2010 02:52:37 | More by cooch69
mondegreen

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

22oz Bottle into a Snifter.

NOTE: I drank several of these fresh, and I am right now drinking one that is about 6 months aged (@ 46F). I will post my notes from the fresh bottle alongside my impressions of the aged version. My numerical scores are for the fresh bottles.

Appearance:
Fresh - Pitch black with a thin head that leaves decent lacing.
Aged - Still pitch black. What there is of a head disappears quickly. Leaves zero lacing on the glass.

Smell:
Fresh - Sharp espresso is the prominent smell. Moderate roasted barley in the background.
Aged - Espresso has rounded and the beer has a metallic edge to it now. Smells like a shadow of its former self.

Taste:
Fresh - Could enjoy this one with breakfast. The espresso pops, much like the hops in a DIPA (not a similar flavor, but a similar strong character). As unique a coffee beer as I have tasted.
Aged - Sadness. The espresso has faded to a blunt bitterness. There is some black coffee taste on the back end. If you are drinking this beer aged for the first time, you do it no justice by reviewing it. It isn't supposed to taste like this.

Mouthfeel:
Fresh - 4 words: Left Hand Milk Stout. Creamy, rich, and delicious.
Aged - 1 word: Flat. Good lord, time has been rough on this beer.

Drinkability:
Fresh - This beer is a tad rich, but the absolute deliciousness could lure me back for pint after pint.
Aged - The flat, bitter character of the beer is wearing thin on me. And to think, I have one more in the fridge :-/

This beer was one of the best collaborations I have ever tasted when it was fresh. If there are still more bottles floating around, I would not expect them to be drinking very well at all. My grade reflects the notes from my fresh tasting, but if you see this one still on shelves (highly unlikely), it just isn't holding onto its former greatness.

03-02-2010 21:36:12 | More by mondegreen
Terrapin Midnight Project Depth Charge Espresso Milk Stout from Terrapin Beer Company