Terrapin Midnight Project Depth Charge Espresso Milk Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Midnight Project Depth Charge Espresso Milk StoutTerrapin Midnight Project Depth Charge Espresso Milk Stout

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 09-11-2009

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a bomber of this. I've recently become a big fan of Terrapin and am working my way through their lineup. Not to mention I'm a coffee addict and can't resist coffee beers.

WOW is how I describe this beer. Usually coffee beers just have a hint of coffee smell and flavor and are more heavy on the chocolate. This one is like sticking your head into bag of coffee beans. The espresso smell smacks you in the face as soon as you open the cap. The taste mimics the smell. It's not the most complex beer I've had but it doesn't need to be. It knows its role in life and serves it beautifully.

It was a bit much on a the drinkability side. I'd buy a 12 oz over a bomber if I had the choice in the future, but this is one I won't soon be forgetting. Top marks. (764 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +4.1%

On-tap at Taco Mac.

Terrapin Depth Charge appears a deep dark and opaque brown. It has left a coffee stain on my napkin and hand after being filled to the brim. The head is a darker khaki color. It is small with decent retention, which seems to be common in any craft stout.

Its immediate smell is of roasted coffee, little by little nuances of chocolate and nuts appear, with the slightest hint of general beer/alcohol aroma.

Similar to the smell, it immediatly takes on the coffee characteristic. Followed by a bit of mocha, then it hops right back into some type of coffee drink, maybe expresso. I don't drink coffee so it all kind of taste the same to me, but towards the finish it has more of a coffee with cream taste rather than black coffee.

The mouthfeel is very heavy, with a subtle amount of carbonation, just enough to remind me that I am drinking a beer not a cold coffee. The finish is quite long and lingering, I hate the taste left in my mouth but that is why I do not drink coffee, so I guess that is not a completely bad thing nor a negative to this beer.

Overall, I think it is very drinkable as much as a sweet stout could be. I have not had too many versions of this style, but this is by far the best and definitely worth a try. (1,255 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

It's time once again for another grand, fun collaboration romp from Left Hand and Terrapin. And just when I was jonesing for a fresh, new coffee stout, Depth Charge was ready to fit the bill.

22 ounce bomber - $7.49 at Hop City in Atlanta, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a viscous-looking, black body layered with a creamy, light khaki-colored head.

Smell: Nicely aromatic, delightfully pure nose of espresso-roasted coffee beers. It's not, God be praised, one of those coffee beer that presents a coffee aroma smelling of truckstop coffee. Rich notes of chilled roasty espresso, bittersweet chocolate morsels melted down in a double-boiler, fresh vanilla bean, and a solid pour of half-n-half. Quite like a chocolate-covered espresso bean.

Taste: Sweet, roasty, creamy, lactose-esque, chilled goodness with, I enthusiastically assume, some soul-soothing alcohol contained within. I feel like I've stepped into a Starbucks and ordered the Double Chocolaty Chip Frappuccino Blended Crème... or is it the Java Chip Frappuccino, who can say for sure. As with the nose, it's very much a chocolate-covered espresso bean experience. I'm seriously tempted to just keep typing up "Chocolate-Covered Espresso Beans" to fully satisfy the 250 character minimum.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium carbonation. Luscious, velvety mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Recommended! If you can find yourself a bottle, by all means do yourself a favor and give it a go! (1,448 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6%

Wow, this one is a doozy. Had on tap on tour at the Terrapin brewery in Athens. Only a 4oz (actually more like 6oz) pour. I went back for more though.

Appearance: Jet black with a hint of brown and more black. Nice thick head that was pretty darn brown, but complemented the dark liquid nicely. Sparse lacing all the way down my shiny Terrapin glass, generally coinciding with my sips.

Smell: Espresso. Yum! Sure, there were other notes, but let's not get distracted. It's like walking past a good coffee shop or a the coffee aisle in a grocery store. Somehow, you want it, even if you don't like coffee.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Espresso and sweetness. I compare it to getting a nice shot of espresso with the perfect ratio of sugar. The sweetness is just enough to balance out the bitter coffee notes. The foamy head really made me feel like I was sipping a well-made cappuccino but cold. If you like coffee, this is a beer for YOU!

Drinkability: While it is heavy on the palate, the richness of this brew makes it quite drinkable. You couldn't down a bunch of them, but that isn't the objective anyway. Hell, it would be as great after dinner as it would be (dare I say it) in the morning. (I do not endorse early morning drinking, especially if you have work). (1,265 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.8%

22oz bottle poured intogany hintso a tulip.

Pours deep, deep brown, almost black in the glass actually. Maybe some mahogany around the edges underneath a creamy tan head that leaves a strong cap throughout and delicate strings of lacing.

Holy coffee Batman! There is heavily roasted espresso grinds just jumping out of the bottle. Deep coffee aroma from start to finish. There is some milky and caramel sweetness somewhere underneath, but it's not easy breaking through. If you like coffee (and I do), this is one helluva nose.

The taste is more of the same with an absolutely massive espresso presence but with a balancing milky presence and some sweet milk chocolate as well. It's almost like a latte with a half shot of chocolate flavoring. Again, as a coffee lover, this is quite a nice flavor.

The mouthfeel is smooth and medium to full bodied with soft carbonation and a mix of bitter espresso and sweet creamy lactose on the tongue.

I have to admit I've been looking forward to this one as coffee stouts are some of my favorite beers in the world. This is one of the better examples of the style I've ever had. I wouldn't put it quite at the level of the Central Waters coffee stout, but it's not far behind. Excellent....if you're a coffee lover. (1,259 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%

I don't normally review beers, but this one surprised me so much and I'm sipping it here at my computer, so why not.
Appearance is like other coffee beers - black with minimal head.
Smell is divine - like the perfect cup of coffee in the morning with just the right amount of sweetness, vanilla, hint of mocha.
Taste is like the best cup of latte I've ever had and there is a perfect balance between the milk stout and the coffee with vanilla, molasses, cream, hint of chocolate, and even slightly cinnamon. This is by far the best coffee beer I've ever had, and I've had a lot in the past few years. If I could drink at work, I would buy several cases of this and drink it in the morning instead of my usual latte, that's how sick the drinkability of this beer is. Outstanding beer overall - if you are a latte drinking like me, then seek this beer out! You will be glad you did. (880 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

Ok, so I had heard this might make an appearance and I was already looking around for it. Once I found it I just could not get enough. Poured from a bottle into my glass on several occasions.

The pour was what I would have thought, deep and very dark in color with almost no light shining through here at all. Really very big looking. Nice tan head on top settled down nicely and coated the glass well. Aroma is all coffee, this is really all it was at first. Sweet brewed coffee and brown sugar with light hints of molasses. Very nicely done here, reminded me right off the bat of Valdez the first time I ran across it. I was anxious to dive in so I took the first sip and that was all she wrote. Huge coffee flavor, just so sweet and ridiculously smooth. Like the best cup of coffee I have ever had. Blended perfectly with a rich brown sugar and vanilla note, it was like nothing I had before. Not as heavy as some others, but it did not need to be because I would have kept drinking this one all day long.

Overall I cannot wait to be able to get more of this one near me again. One of the best coffee offerings I have ever run across, and I have managed to find most of them in my days. This is a must find and I am hopeful there will be lots of it to find around! (1,277 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +4.1%

On-tap at the Brick Store - ABV was listed as 8.0%.

Pours black with a one-finger light brown head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of rich and creamy coffee backed up by sweetened dark chocolate and a small hint of roasted malts.

Tastes similar to how it smells. The coffee flavors are still there but are not quite as intense as the smell led me to believe it would be. Although not as strong as anticipated they still kick off the procession of flavors and segue into small amounts of sweetened dark chocolate and smooth roasted malts. The ending is mildly bitter and leaves a bit of coffee lingering on the palate.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a solid thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass fairly quickly and could have another.

Overall the nose on this is great - if you like coffee, and the flavor isn't too far behind. Definitely worth a shot. (938 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

Picked this up at Beer Run, and with the two breweries involved, I couldn't resist!

A: Black, as I might expect out of a cup of coffee OR stout.

S: A strong espresso and cream aroma - the scent of cofee creeps about the area, my finding of it being rather silent and goot for recording.

T: Jittery Joe's appears to have some fine coffee! It is more pronounced in this beer than in the "Wake 'n Bake." Rich and full coffee flavours dominate, with a roasted malt presence providing a bit of a backbone, rather than vice versa. Some chocolate flavours come through right towards the finish. It's wonderfully creamy, which is very enjoyable, and suitable for the style. Very nicely done!

D: It would be far too easy to start the day with a bottle of this rather than a cup of coffee! Hopefully, this will be considered as something that will be produced more often - or at least considered for release again! (910 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Varga Bar, 9/11/09... the first insane thing about this beer is that it was served in a shaker pint glass. Maybe its just me, but WTF?? Insane again was the dramatically pluming head... a gorgeous russet-color, nearly a finger high lid of dense carbonation pockmarked with large CO2 bubbles, rising uniformly out of the glass. Beneath that, the beer stood all-but-black, strung together with a sighting of a ruby highlight here or there, but then again, maybe it was just a reflection in the low light of this bar.
Insane characteristic #3: The Nose. Potent whiff of wet, freshly ground espresso beans. Wait wait wait. More pungent, more intense smelling than the espresso you stuck your nose into this morning. Fully realized, virile and robust. Is this the biggest nose I've sniffed on a beer?? God only knows. A chemically clean character is backing up all of this burly coffee goodness - almost like a mop bucket full of water/solution mix. It frames and stiffens up the show and is a plus in my book.
Insanity continues on the tongue. Holy shit kind of insane. Double shot of espresso doused into an iced coffee sort of presence going on, right up front. This bold gesture is helped greatly by a velvety mouthfeel out of the gates. The beer grows soon into some sweet milk chocolate notes, and some dryer dark chocolate as well which melds into the earthy, warm finish. Simply brilliant. By this point the mouthfeel has relented and the beer is now thin around the edges. It lingers on the throat, but doesn't coat...
No, the beer is NOT insanely drinkable... but as officially one of the baddest beers I've ever had I can't expect this to just disappear into the gullet. A true reward... and worth seeking out. (1,716 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%

Midnight Project #2, a series of beers brewed with Left Hand Brewing in Colorado. #1 was brewed at Left Hand, this one was brewed at Terrapin with Jittery Joes's coffee. Preview bottle shared with some other BA's. I'm a fan of Milk/Sweet Stouts and I generally like coffee infused stouts as well as long as everything is balanced. I've felt that the last couple of years the Wake and Bake has been a bit too harsh and over coffeed. This beer has plenty of intense coffee character, but the sweetness of the lactose works well to balance the coffee and there is less bitterness to the beans here. I feel I get the intense coffee experience without having to age the beer for 6 months to mellow it enough to be good. Pours black with a thin headbut a nice dark almost crema looking head. Smells of strong, fresh espresso, some nice roastiness, and some vanilla. Overall, the smell is balanced with a touch of creaminess. Tastes rich, nutty, and roasty at first and creamy and slightly sweet throughout, but I like how restrained the sweetness is. The coffee comes through loud and clear, but married well to the cream and roastiness. Almost tannic in the finish. The mouthfeel could be a bit creamier- it finishes with a slight harshness that I wish was tamed. This will perhaps mellow with time. Opens up a little with time, otherwise, a little tight in the mouth. Quite nice, I look forward to more of these collaborations. (1,423 characters)

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
Terrapin Midnight Project Depth Charge Espresso Milk Stout from Terrapin Beer Company