Terrapin Midnight Project Depth Charge Espresso Milk Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Midnight Project Depth Charge Espresso Milk StoutTerrapin Midnight Project Depth Charge Espresso Milk Stout

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 09-11-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
Mavajo

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a black tar color with a prolific brown head. This thing is simply black - even holding it up to the light, there was nothing here to diffuse. Total blackness.

Nose is exactly what the bottle led you to believe - smack-you-in-the-face-obvious scents of chocolate, espresso, coffee. Extremely strong smell. If you were blindfolded, you would think you're sniffing something from Starbucks. Taste reflects the smell. Overwhelming notes of chocolate and espresso. So rich and delicious. I'm not sure what this tastes more like - espresso or beer.

I'm not even a coffee fan and this thing blew me away. Creamy mouthfeel that goes down very easily. Medium-high carbonation. It's very drinkable, but I think you'd need to have at least some preference for that coffee flavor in order to drink more than one.

Absolutely outstanding beer. You owe it to yourself to at least try it.

10-05-2009 00:29:53 | More by Mavajo
tempest

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Split a bottle at Tap and Table in Emmaus, PA. Appeared pitch black with a light brown head. Man, the name "depth charge" is appropriate. This beer is packed with espresso. You can vaguely tell this beer is a milk stout by the body, but this is mostly a vehicle for the coffee flavor. It's delicious, but it's hard to taste anything but the espresso.

10-04-2009 14:50:18 | More by tempest
rudylaw

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanks to billab914 for this bottle. Served in my GTOM tasting glass.

Pours soul-dripping black with a chocolate head.

A HUGE coffee/espresso nose. My god... I feel like I just chopped the beans myself. This is super fresh!

Taste is dead on to the smell. Bitter, sharp coffee through and through. It's also very sweet, milky. That sort of chocolate that rattles your fillings.

It has a creamy mouthfeel and it very pleasing to drink. Right now, the coffee is really fresh, so if that's your bag you'd go ape a glass of this. It's a little strong for me, which hurts the drinkability, but I understand I'm not the target since I'm not a javahead. Good stuff from Terrapin!

10-04-2009 11:32:22 | More by rudylaw
ImusBeer

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

I was told this beer is good if you like espresso . I liked it anyway.

Very dark actually black, with a small tan head. The aroma consisted of mainly coffee, espresso and some hints of cocoa. The taste is along the exact same lines, coffee & cocoa.

Mouthfeel was very silky with the coffee bitterness getting in there at the finish. This is a smooth drink, I could do a few of these while sitting by a fire on a cool evening.

10-02-2009 14:14:45 | More by ImusBeer
BARFLYB

3.95/5  rDev -6%

22oz bottle poured into some Duvel glasses, split with oglmcdgl.

A- Well it's a milk/sweet stout so i'm guessing it's going to be dark brown to black in color(pours some beer) yep, I was right a very deep dark brown that might as well be called black. A dark brown creamy coffee head on the top that fades into oblivion leaving the faintest of lacing.

S- Expecting a onslaught of Jittery Joes coffee I was surprised by the tameness of the espresso beans. They are there and come up more with warming, but they subdued by all the residual sugar giving off the sweetness. Big deep dark malt giving off more sweetness plus roastiness and perhaps some vanilla. This pretty much smells like a very tame stout. Some cream joins the vanilla over time.

T- Perhaps, the best put together milk stout that i've had this year. (I don't have many, the style does not thrill me). What I am liking is that the milk/sweet characteristics of this style are taming the Jittery Joes coffee that I find to be a bit to burnt in Terrapin's Wake N Bake. Thus, the coffee is there but is not king, thank god. In fact It's at a perfect level. Other than that i'm getting malt's, chocolate, vanilla, cream and some grain in the distance.

M- Sipping on this, I felt the body was just a a bit thin, sometimes watery if you will. Than I remembered this is a milk/sweet so it's not supposed to be huge. As it warmed up, I also warmed up to it. The body's fine, kind of like drinking milk. The alcohol while low does not show up in taste or mouth. Well below medium bodied, though not light with low carb making for a smooth ride.

D- Ya, I could of killed the bottle, but I wanted to share the love. This may have got old after 12oz or so, but it's still great stuff. With a name like Depth Charge, there is not that much depth and it is not insane, more like a well put together beer that nails the style IMHO.

10-01-2009 21:11:48 | More by BARFLYB
Anthony1

Colorado

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured on tap in Athens

Poured a very dark, but not black. Was a very milk chocolate feel to it. plenty of head, but could be because of the tap.

smells like a creamy cappuccino, very sweet

taste is a bit less of an kick then i wanted. It seemed a bit weak for what i expected. Very sweet. was good and definately worth a try.

10-01-2009 16:25:37 | More by Anthony1
jillmart

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Got this at Total Wine in Dunwoody, GA, last week. The cost is $8 after taxes.

This beer is very dark in color with a tan head. The smell is in a way overpowering with coffee, which actually turns out to be deceptive. It actually is a wonderfully balanced mix with the coffee and the malts, and it's got a somewhat sweet taste to it, rich but over the top.

I highly recommend this beer. It's one of the best coffee beers I've had.

09-30-2009 20:38:46 | More by jillmart
ffejherb

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

22oz. bomber into goblet on 9/29/09.

A - Dispensed a deep oily black color with shades of burgundy and red velvet cake. A creamy, bubbly tan head sat on top and quickly reduced to a patchy film.

S - Smells like the office in the morning. Depth Charger boasts a huge coffee-forward aroma, reminiscent to a fresh cup o' joe. Perhaps the aroma is one-dimensional, but it is quite aromatic and definitely captures the essence of freshly ground coffee.

T - This milk stout actually has a bold roasty flavor with freshly ground coffee beans, chocolate notes and an odd hint of cola and licorice in the backend. Chocolate candy bars or malted milk balls also come to mind. Finishes with a lactic presence and hint of sourness. Funky milk?

M - Medium bodied with a really smooth, silky texture and soft carbonation, although perhaps a tad watery overall. Fairly bitter on the palate with a hint of sourness on the tongue.

D - I really enjoyed this one... and the label is awesome! Gotta love cows. Depth Charger packs a huge coffee wallop, especially in the aroma, and also provides a nice fix if you have a sweet tooth for chocolate.

09-30-2009 18:30:54 | More by ffejherb
BeerSox

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

22oz bomber into nonic.

Pitch black with a dense one finger light brown head that settles to a thin cap, with a bank of bubbles on the side.

The aroma is extremely sweet, and almost smells just like a cappuccino, equipped with whipped cream. The roasted malts and strong espresso mix with an obvious creaminess.

The coffee and roasted malts complement each other very well, and the sweet creaminess is there, which matches the taste of dark coffee when met with a touch of whipped cream. A little bit of chocolate flavor makes its way through. Full bodied, with a good amount of carbonation, but not too much.

This is a good coffee beer, as it's full of flavor but not too rich to the point that it's cloyingly sweet and almost undrinkable. If you like bold coffee, you'll like this bold stout. Recommended.

09-27-2009 01:38:28 | More by BeerSox
BillyBroas

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a bomber of this. I've recently become a big fan of Terrapin and am working my way through their lineup. Not to mention I'm a coffee addict and can't resist coffee beers.

WOW is how I describe this beer. Usually coffee beers just have a hint of coffee smell and flavor and are more heavy on the chocolate. This one is like sticking your head into bag of coffee beans. The espresso smell smacks you in the face as soon as you open the cap. The taste mimics the smell. It's not the most complex beer I've had but it doesn't need to be. It knows its role in life and serves it beautifully.

It was a bit much on a the drinkability side. I'd buy a 12 oz over a bomber if I had the choice in the future, but this is one I won't soon be forgetting. Top marks.

09-26-2009 22:45:04 | More by BillyBroas
DrinkinBoy

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

On-tap at Taco Mac.

Terrapin Depth Charge appears a deep dark and opaque brown. It has left a coffee stain on my napkin and hand after being filled to the brim. The head is a darker khaki color. It is small with decent retention, which seems to be common in any craft stout.

Its immediate smell is of roasted coffee, little by little nuances of chocolate and nuts appear, with the slightest hint of general beer/alcohol aroma.

Similar to the smell, it immediatly takes on the coffee characteristic. Followed by a bit of mocha, then it hops right back into some type of coffee drink, maybe expresso. I don't drink coffee so it all kind of taste the same to me, but towards the finish it has more of a coffee with cream taste rather than black coffee.

The mouthfeel is very heavy, with a subtle amount of carbonation, just enough to remind me that I am drinking a beer not a cold coffee. The finish is quite long and lingering, I hate the taste left in my mouth but that is why I do not drink coffee, so I guess that is not a completely bad thing nor a negative to this beer.

Overall, I think it is very drinkable as much as a sweet stout could be. I have not had too many versions of this style, but this is by far the best and definitely worth a try.

09-25-2009 22:20:04 | More by DrinkinBoy
ChainGangGuy

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

It's time once again for another grand, fun collaboration romp from Left Hand and Terrapin. And just when I was jonesing for a fresh, new coffee stout, Depth Charge was ready to fit the bill.

22 ounce bomber - $7.49 at Hop City in Atlanta, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a viscous-looking, black body layered with a creamy, light khaki-colored head.

Smell: Nicely aromatic, delightfully pure nose of espresso-roasted coffee beers. It's not, God be praised, one of those coffee beer that presents a coffee aroma smelling of truckstop coffee. Rich notes of chilled roasty espresso, bittersweet chocolate morsels melted down in a double-boiler, fresh vanilla bean, and a solid pour of half-n-half. Quite like a chocolate-covered espresso bean.

Taste: Sweet, roasty, creamy, lactose-esque, chilled goodness with, I enthusiastically assume, some soul-soothing alcohol contained within. I feel like I've stepped into a Starbucks and ordered the Double Chocolaty Chip Frappuccino Blended Crème... or is it the Java Chip Frappuccino, who can say for sure. As with the nose, it's very much a chocolate-covered espresso bean experience. I'm seriously tempted to just keep typing up "Chocolate-Covered Espresso Beans" to fully satisfy the 250 character minimum.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium carbonation. Luscious, velvety mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Recommended! If you can find yourself a bottle, by all means do yourself a favor and give it a go!

09-24-2009 20:30:47 | More by ChainGangGuy
mindmage625

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Wow, this one is a doozy. Had on tap on tour at the Terrapin brewery in Athens. Only a 4oz (actually more like 6oz) pour. I went back for more though.

Appearance: Jet black with a hint of brown and more black. Nice thick head that was pretty darn brown, but complemented the dark liquid nicely. Sparse lacing all the way down my shiny Terrapin glass, generally coinciding with my sips.

Smell: Espresso. Yum! Sure, there were other notes, but let's not get distracted. It's like walking past a good coffee shop or a the coffee aisle in a grocery store. Somehow, you want it, even if you don't like coffee.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Espresso and sweetness. I compare it to getting a nice shot of espresso with the perfect ratio of sugar. The sweetness is just enough to balance out the bitter coffee notes. The foamy head really made me feel like I was sipping a well-made cappuccino but cold. If you like coffee, this is a beer for YOU!

Drinkability: While it is heavy on the palate, the richness of this brew makes it quite drinkable. You couldn't down a bunch of them, but that isn't the objective anyway. Hell, it would be as great after dinner as it would be (dare I say it) in the morning. (I do not endorse early morning drinking, especially if you have work).

09-23-2009 04:24:49 | More by mindmage625
gford217

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

22oz bottle poured intogany hintso a tulip.

Pours deep, deep brown, almost black in the glass actually. Maybe some mahogany around the edges underneath a creamy tan head that leaves a strong cap throughout and delicate strings of lacing.

Holy coffee Batman! There is heavily roasted espresso grinds just jumping out of the bottle. Deep coffee aroma from start to finish. There is some milky and caramel sweetness somewhere underneath, but it's not easy breaking through. If you like coffee (and I do), this is one helluva nose.

The taste is more of the same with an absolutely massive espresso presence but with a balancing milky presence and some sweet milk chocolate as well. It's almost like a latte with a half shot of chocolate flavoring. Again, as a coffee lover, this is quite a nice flavor.

The mouthfeel is smooth and medium to full bodied with soft carbonation and a mix of bitter espresso and sweet creamy lactose on the tongue.

I have to admit I've been looking forward to this one as coffee stouts are some of my favorite beers in the world. This is one of the better examples of the style I've ever had. I wouldn't put it quite at the level of the Central Waters coffee stout, but it's not far behind. Excellent....if you're a coffee lover.

09-23-2009 01:43:36 | More by gford217
bmanning

4.58/5  rDev +9%

I don't normally review beers, but this one surprised me so much and I'm sipping it here at my computer, so why not.
Appearance is like other coffee beers - black with minimal head.
Smell is divine - like the perfect cup of coffee in the morning with just the right amount of sweetness, vanilla, hint of mocha.
Taste is like the best cup of latte I've ever had and there is a perfect balance between the milk stout and the coffee with vanilla, molasses, cream, hint of chocolate, and even slightly cinnamon. This is by far the best coffee beer I've ever had, and I've had a lot in the past few years. If I could drink at work, I would buy several cases of this and drink it in the morning instead of my usual latte, that's how sick the drinkability of this beer is. Outstanding beer overall - if you are a latte drinking like me, then seek this beer out! You will be glad you did.

09-22-2009 01:40:20 | More by bmanning
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.78/5  rDev +13.8%

Ok, so I had heard this might make an appearance and I was already looking around for it. Once I found it I just could not get enough. Poured from a bottle into my glass on several occasions.

The pour was what I would have thought, deep and very dark in color with almost no light shining through here at all. Really very big looking. Nice tan head on top settled down nicely and coated the glass well. Aroma is all coffee, this is really all it was at first. Sweet brewed coffee and brown sugar with light hints of molasses. Very nicely done here, reminded me right off the bat of Valdez the first time I ran across it. I was anxious to dive in so I took the first sip and that was all she wrote. Huge coffee flavor, just so sweet and ridiculously smooth. Like the best cup of coffee I have ever had. Blended perfectly with a rich brown sugar and vanilla note, it was like nothing I had before. Not as heavy as some others, but it did not need to be because I would have kept drinking this one all day long.

Overall I cannot wait to be able to get more of this one near me again. One of the best coffee offerings I have ever run across, and I have managed to find most of them in my days. This is a must find and I am hopeful there will be lots of it to find around!

09-21-2009 17:25:01 | More by mikesgroove
glid02

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

On-tap at the Brick Store - ABV was listed as 8.0%.

Pours black with a one-finger light brown head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of rich and creamy coffee backed up by sweetened dark chocolate and a small hint of roasted malts.

Tastes similar to how it smells. The coffee flavors are still there but are not quite as intense as the smell led me to believe it would be. Although not as strong as anticipated they still kick off the procession of flavors and segue into small amounts of sweetened dark chocolate and smooth roasted malts. The ending is mildly bitter and leaves a bit of coffee lingering on the palate.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a solid thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass fairly quickly and could have another.

Overall the nose on this is great - if you like coffee, and the flavor isn't too far behind. Definitely worth a shot.

09-21-2009 01:37:19 | More by glid02
Proteus93

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Picked this up at Beer Run, and with the two breweries involved, I couldn't resist!

A: Black, as I might expect out of a cup of coffee OR stout.

S: A strong espresso and cream aroma - the scent of cofee creeps about the area, my finding of it being rather silent and goot for recording.

T: Jittery Joe's appears to have some fine coffee! It is more pronounced in this beer than in the "Wake 'n Bake." Rich and full coffee flavours dominate, with a roasted malt presence providing a bit of a backbone, rather than vice versa. Some chocolate flavours come through right towards the finish. It's wonderfully creamy, which is very enjoyable, and suitable for the style. Very nicely done!

D: It would be far too easy to start the day with a bottle of this rather than a cup of coffee! Hopefully, this will be considered as something that will be produced more often - or at least considered for release again!

09-17-2009 03:58:02 | More by Proteus93
Philabeerphia

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Varga Bar, 9/11/09... the first insane thing about this beer is that it was served in a shaker pint glass. Maybe its just me, but WTF?? Insane again was the dramatically pluming head... a gorgeous russet-color, nearly a finger high lid of dense carbonation pockmarked with large CO2 bubbles, rising uniformly out of the glass. Beneath that, the beer stood all-but-black, strung together with a sighting of a ruby highlight here or there, but then again, maybe it was just a reflection in the low light of this bar.
Insane characteristic #3: The Nose. Potent whiff of wet, freshly ground espresso beans. Wait wait wait. More pungent, more intense smelling than the espresso you stuck your nose into this morning. Fully realized, virile and robust. Is this the biggest nose I've sniffed on a beer?? God only knows. A chemically clean character is backing up all of this burly coffee goodness - almost like a mop bucket full of water/solution mix. It frames and stiffens up the show and is a plus in my book.
Insanity continues on the tongue. Holy shit kind of insane. Double shot of espresso doused into an iced coffee sort of presence going on, right up front. This bold gesture is helped greatly by a velvety mouthfeel out of the gates. The beer grows soon into some sweet milk chocolate notes, and some dryer dark chocolate as well which melds into the earthy, warm finish. Simply brilliant. By this point the mouthfeel has relented and the beer is now thin around the edges. It lingers on the throat, but doesn't coat...
No, the beer is NOT insanely drinkable... but as officially one of the baddest beers I've ever had I can't expect this to just disappear into the gullet. A true reward... and worth seeking out.

09-12-2009 04:01:43 | More by Philabeerphia
Georgiabeer

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Midnight Project #2, a series of beers brewed with Left Hand Brewing in Colorado. #1 was brewed at Left Hand, this one was brewed at Terrapin with Jittery Joes's coffee. Preview bottle shared with some other BA's. I'm a fan of Milk/Sweet Stouts and I generally like coffee infused stouts as well as long as everything is balanced. I've felt that the last couple of years the Wake and Bake has been a bit too harsh and over coffeed. This beer has plenty of intense coffee character, but the sweetness of the lactose works well to balance the coffee and there is less bitterness to the beans here. I feel I get the intense coffee experience without having to age the beer for 6 months to mellow it enough to be good. Pours black with a thin headbut a nice dark almost crema looking head. Smells of strong, fresh espresso, some nice roastiness, and some vanilla. Overall, the smell is balanced with a touch of creaminess. Tastes rich, nutty, and roasty at first and creamy and slightly sweet throughout, but I like how restrained the sweetness is. The coffee comes through loud and clear, but married well to the cream and roastiness. Almost tannic in the finish. The mouthfeel could be a bit creamier- it finishes with a slight harshness that I wish was tamed. This will perhaps mellow with time. Opens up a little with time, otherwise, a little tight in the mouth. Quite nice, I look forward to more of these collaborations.

09-11-2009 02:21:44 | More by Georgiabeer
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
Terrapin Midnight Project Depth Charge Espresso Milk Stout from Terrapin Beer Company