Terrapin Hopsecutioner - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

Beer added by: Anthony1 on 11-03-2009

Reviews: 715 | Hads: 2,986

A very nice IPA. I must say before this Terrapin my favorite IPA was from sweetwater but I like this one much better. It has a dark amber color with a lace that sticks to the glass. The smell very nice kind of a sweet smell but with a huge hops finish. The taste is great with a citrus hint on the hops but leads to a smooth mouthfeel which leads to a wonderful drinkability. I really enjoy this IPA. (400 characters)

i find it hard to believe that the ratings are not higher on this beer...it stands up to Green Flash ,Sculpin and the like..too bad its not available he in MA,had to bring it back from GA... if you like stronger IPA's ..this is a must try....you will not be disappointed ... (274 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +28.3%

Yes, you can smell those nice green resin hops that I just love to smell when I crack open an IPA. The smell vaguely reminds me of the Stone IPA. I can tell this is going to be good. Upon the first sip the sweetness of the nice roasted malt hits you up front and then the green apple, citrus, pine hop flavors come into play leaving a long nice bitter dry finish. I love the potent resin like effect some IPA's give. This reminds me of a West Coast IPA actually. You can tell they put some different strains of hops in here too not just one dimensional at all. It also reminds me of the Samuel Adams Latitude 48 which you can take as a good or bad thing but to me I like that beer very much so its a good thing. Very well crafted beer. This is my first Terrapin and now I would like to try all of their product line... that tells you something right there. The thing that sets this apart from the regular East Coast IPA's like Latitude is that it has that potent resin like finish as I said before with a nice hop bite... plus the alcohol is very well masked at 7.3 so this beer will give you a buzz. I actually like this better than some West Coasters and will now hold a spot as one my favorite beers. (1,203 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +27.3%

This fine beverage got me to enter my first review. I am for the most part a hop-head so of course am familiar with countless ipa's, this one is certainly in the top three in my book. It is a well balanced, dry, fresh hoppy beer (though it doesn't say it is dry hopped) It at worst will not disappoint any ipa drinker. One would never guess it comes from the "south" as it has the west coast taste we fellow hopheads love. (422 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +27%

Had this a number of times, and it's one of my favorite IPAs.

Always had it in bottle form, usually poured in a glass. This particular one I poured in a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Pours a dark gold color with a decent head, but I've seen better on a IPA. The smell is ideal, exactly what I look for out of an IPA. Same for the taste, it is a delicious and intense hoppy flavor that really epitomizes the IPA category to me. It goes down smooth and is very crisp. As far as drinkability goes, this is terrific, especially for an IPA. One of the few IPAs I could drink for an entire night. (592 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +25.7%

The beer looks like apple juice with a one finger white head that leaves some sticky lacing with each gulp.

The aromas of piney and citrusy hops makes for one great smelling beer.

The taste is what sets this beer apart from other IPAs. Hopsecutioner had what I would describe as a tangy bitterness, much like the way a tart grapefruit acts on your taste buds. But the hops are most certainly present, especially with a name like Hopsecutioner.

This beauty had a medium body and was sharp across the palate. With the sharp, hoppy, citrusy flavors this beer brings, it makes it a nearly perfect standard IPA for the spring/summer months for me.

Dare I say my personal favorite IPA? (687 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Received this as an extra in a trade and was really impressed. This is a great IPA for those who don't want theirs too bitter as it has a touch of sweetness to it. A great IPA for a hot summers day (197 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +22%

I think that this one came to me care of my local IP trader, tone77. Watch my progression today as I go from a single on up.

From the bottle: "Hear ye, hear ye ... All hopheads shall herewith rejoice! Terrapin hath recruited ye olde HOPSECUTIONER to execute the exact hop profile for this killer IPA. YOU MAY LOSE YOUR HOPHEAD OVER THIS ONE!"

That last part really makes me sad as I just took receipt of my knitted hophead from wiresiren and I would hate to lose it! In fact, that may be my headgear for GTMW 2012 in a couple of weeks.

My pour netted me a massively thick, foamy tawny head that extended above the rim of the glass, resembling the top of an ice cream cone. Color was a deep amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was redolent with minty hops. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was like spearmint or peppermint, really intense and cooling! Yum! The finish was dry, cool, minty, just the way I really prefer an AIPA. The sticky lacing that was left behind was going to require a jackhammer to remove. More, please! (1,029 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +22%

Poured a wonderful copper color with great head and excellent lacing. Wonderfully deep aroma, with a great thick malt backing and great bitterness in the nose; a lot of citrus, with some nice herbal hops as well. Wonderful taste, a great thick malty beer with a wonderful hard hit of hops at the end, lasting on the tongue; slight citrus, wonderful grassy hops. Went down exceptionally well. (391 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Pours a copper, orange color with effervescent bubbles making their way to the top. A vibrant white, 1 finger head retains fairly well and leaves a bit of lacing as I sip

S-Malted barley, sweet caramel, freshly baked bread all make up the front of the nose as it fades nicely into a bitter hopped up scent. Quite lovely.

T-The name is deceiving. It's not as hoppy as I would have figured and I love it. The malted barley and sweet backbone mix perfectly with an astringent hoppy bite that combines to make an exceptional creamy finish.

MF-Creamy, thick with a smooth finish. Body is full and it has a brief moment on the palate that feels crisp but it's overall creamy.

O-This is my favorite IPA. Hopsecutioner is underrated by a huge margin (748 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a reddish copper color with a nice 2 finger head that takes it time leaving in a 20oz pub glass leaving really great lacing down the glass.

Smell is pretty outstanding. I really get the earthy hops with malts in the background.

Taste is great as well. Way more malt than I was expecting from a beer called hopsecutioner. The malts tell the story for me. Has a taste of caramel to them and the hops kinda play second fiddle. I definitely get the earthy hops but not as much as I expected.

Mouthfeel is pretty spot on. Really liked the way it has a nice presence throughout the taste.

Overall, a really great beer. I really like this and plan to make it more of a go to. (680 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +20.5%

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a chalice, orange amber colored with a tight white head that dissipates leaving some lacing, cloudy, few bubbles

S: piney oils, grapefruit, orange, bready malt, big on hops

T: citrus fruit up front, big grapefruit, hop flavor lingers, sweeter finish than expected, pine trees, good hops to malt balance

M: good carbonation with a medium to full body, not at all oily, 7.3% ABV well hidden

O: this is a great IPA from my home state, one of the only things I like coming out of Athens, my only advice on improving this beer would be to move the brewery to Atlanta to get it away from U(sic)GA, THWG (635 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +19.9%

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a Shaker pint glass. Label depicts a hooded turtle, holding a mash paddle and overlooking some hops locked in a pillory. Best if enjoyed by the 3rd week of October.

Appearance: Pours with just under 1 finger of medium tan head. This settles to a thin and incomplete coating of foam, leaving behind decent lacing. The beer itself is medium to light brown with a hint of ruby red. Hoppy enough that there is a slight haze. No sediment in the bottle.

Smell: Strong aromas of citrusy and florally hops. Notes of pineapple and granny smith apples. Some bubblegum esters.

Taste: Strong, smack you in the face hops upfront; reminiscent of grapefruit and pine. Solid backbone of semi-sweet caramel malt.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation level with an amazingly thick and viscous body.

Drinkability: While hop bombs are not my favorite, this one is done extremely well. Spicy dry hopped flavors upfront meld into a well established malt backdrop. (992 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +19.9%

A- Nice Amber/Orange hue. 1 finger of nice soft white head, with decent retention. Plenty of lacing left behind during drinking.

S- Hops! Smells like simcoe and cascade to me. Fruity and sweet nose with a little florals.

T- Not a whole ton of bitterness like I was expecting based on the nose, but a nice hoppy taste. Finishes with a hint of the malt/roast used. A really east-to-enjoy flavor.

M- Nice crisp mouthfeel. A pleasant bitterness. The right level of carbonation for this beer. Milt prolonging of the bitterness and hops into the aftertaste.

D- Highly drinkable. A great IPA (588 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%

Wow, not a huge 'hop head' but this really is a well-made brew. Terrapin hit a home-run with this beer. Descent nose, not a whole lot going on, but taste and drinkability are unreal. Subtle hints of fruit and spice lead to a great smooth finish. Overall, I really liked it. (273 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Amber and pretty clear. 1-finger head that lasts a long time.
S: Citrus and caramel. Mainly C-hops here and I love em.
T: Grapefruit and a touch of pine. I can taste a bit of rye, but I am glad to find an East coast beer where the hops are the highlight.
M: Bitter and dry. Not too sweet or carbonated.
D: I have drank 3 so far tonight, and foresee myself drinking a few more. This is a great IPA and I am very happy to have another nice option when I have a hop craving. (476 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served on tap at the EMORY Convention Center and Hotel Friday 24 May after a 2-day drive from Connecticut. Delicious and very satisfying. This would be my regular brew if not for Dogfish 60-minute IPA. Liked this Terrapin in the bottle, like it better on tap. (259 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +18.6%

A-Pours a nice amber with a tiny white head that leaves no lacing.

S-Hoppy, mostly grapefruit, there is a sweetness there and a touch of malt.

T-The flavor of this beer amazed me. It was so juicy and hoppy. It tasted like a grapefruit/orange/hoppy nectar, truly amazing. The hops dominated the flavor profile with just enough malt to balance it out so it wouldn't be a hop bomb. To be honest I have only drank one beer that tasted as juicy/nectar like as this and that would be Hopslam.

M-Syrupy with just the right amount of carbonation, it was great.

D-I could drink this beer all day, but its relatively high abv. would cut into its sessionability.

Overall, I don't know if it was just a fresh keg or what, but this beer flavor wise blew me away. I know my review is going to be much higher than the average, but the beer I had deserves the credit. I am going to purchase some bottles of this beer to further investigate its deliciousness, because it was great. I highly recommend trying this beer. (1,006 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

This beer is great I've loved it since the first week it hit the taps in the Burgh at Fatheads it was the best beer of the evening in a night of drinking on the Southside which says volumes considering your options. Aroma has a great citrus peel bouquet with floral highlights with a slight tart sourdough bread malt character. Greeen with hops not as lively as the tap version I tasted at Fathead's but it was a bit fresher. I'm sure this one is coming around in their sampler packs but the label may just be the highlight. A hooded Terrapin pulling the rope on a guillotine with a hop plant poking through the gallows. Classic Georgia based hop imagery. Ample sweetness with vinous fresh hops citrus, herbs, and pine elements play nicely but the citrus/grapefruit tropical fruits really stand out what an amazing session IPA I'm glad to be lucky enough to live in driving distance to the Terrapin lineup great beers for sure. They need a cap that will represent them better than the plain shiny golden version. Mouthfeel is slick with hop oils a nice all around hop monster that doesn't overbear the palate in anyway. Medium bodied mild carbonation which equates to a very nice drinking experience. Drinkability is pretty effortless a beer that I plan to catch again and again especially on tap. (1,297 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Smell: Nice, but not as fragrant as I'd expected from a beer whose very name brags of hop potency.
Taste: Certainly very hop-forward, as one would expect from the name. Nice malt undertone, more than a backbone- but the hops carry the day- again, as one would expect given the name. The taste also belies the fairly high ABV.
Mouthfeel: pleasantly quaffable, although sessioning these would probably not be a good idea- unless you plan to spend the night. (455 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

One of my favorite, go to IPAs. Creamy, medium carb and body, excellent citrus and floral notes. Sweet, balanced and tasty. Fairly big beer but really easy drinking. (165 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

This one pours a hazy light amber with a creamy off white head.
The aroma is of course hop forward with the citrus and pine notes, but I also pick up a lot of fruit aromas--apricot, pear, with a little mango perhaps.
The taste follows the nose closely. The dense fruity malt backbone stands up tall to the relentless Warrior, Chinook, Centennial, Simco, Amarillo, and Cascade assault. Very well balanced.
The mouthfeel is medium to heavy.
Overall a great IPA. I'm glad it's readily available here in the ATL. (508 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

appearance: golden amber hues, almost red

smell: some nice bitterness, not a citrus, more piney. loaded and more loaded hops, very plesant for a hop head

taste: again more on the piney side. sessionable hop bomb!

mouthfeel: nor balanced, the way I like it

drinkability: one of the best single IPAs out there. (312 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

For the hop heads this is a very refreshing beer. It is golden/ deep straw in color with a head between a quarter and half inch. Upon smelling I got noted of pine/grass and citrus. Great tasting hops with notes of grass and citrus. The bitterness is not overpowering and is balanced nicely with the other natural flavors of the hops. It is a smooth IPA with a great mouthfeel. This one is in my top 5 IPAs and I am always happy to come back to it whenever I get a chance. (471 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

$8.49 six pack from SuperSaver.

Hazy warm orange body, topped by a hefty dense level off-white head.

Strong aggressive citrus nose, plenty of grapefruit, orange, and apricot.

Sweet malt crawls across the tongue like its going under a limbo bar. Then its citrusy hops from everywhere, an explosion throughout the mouth.

Medium bubbly mouthfeel. Definitely good drinking IPA.

Another terrific Terrapin beer. (412 characters)

Terrapin Hopsecutioner from Terrapin Beer Company