Terrapin Hopsecutioner - Terrapin Beer Company

Georgia, United States

Beer added by: Anthony1 on 11-03-2009

Reviews: 706 | Hads: 2,942
4.6/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a reddish copper color with a nice 2 finger head that takes it time leaving in a 20oz pub glass leaving really great lacing down the glass.

Smell is pretty outstanding. I really get the earthy hops with malts in the background.

Taste is great as well. Way more malt than I was expecting from a beer called hopsecutioner. The malts tell the story for me. Has a taste of caramel to them and the hops kinda play second fiddle. I definitely get the earthy hops but not as much as I expected.

Mouthfeel is pretty spot on. Really liked the way it has a nice presence throughout the taste.

Overall, a really great beer. I really like this and plan to make it more of a go to. (680 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +20.5%

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a chalice, orange amber colored with a tight white head that dissipates leaving some lacing, cloudy, few bubbles

S: piney oils, grapefruit, orange, bready malt, big on hops

T: citrus fruit up front, big grapefruit, hop flavor lingers, sweeter finish than expected, pine trees, good hops to malt balance

M: good carbonation with a medium to full body, not at all oily, 7.3% ABV well hidden

O: this is a great IPA from my home state, one of the only things I like coming out of Athens, my only advice on improving this beer would be to move the brewery to Atlanta to get it away from U(sic)GA, THWG (635 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +19.9%

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a Shaker pint glass. Label depicts a hooded turtle, holding a mash paddle and overlooking some hops locked in a pillory. Best if enjoyed by the 3rd week of October.

Appearance: Pours with just under 1 finger of medium tan head. This settles to a thin and incomplete coating of foam, leaving behind decent lacing. The beer itself is medium to light brown with a hint of ruby red. Hoppy enough that there is a slight haze. No sediment in the bottle.

Smell: Strong aromas of citrusy and florally hops. Notes of pineapple and granny smith apples. Some bubblegum esters.

Taste: Strong, smack you in the face hops upfront; reminiscent of grapefruit and pine. Solid backbone of semi-sweet caramel malt.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation level with an amazingly thick and viscous body.

Drinkability: While hop bombs are not my favorite, this one is done extremely well. Spicy dry hopped flavors upfront meld into a well established malt backdrop. (992 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +19.9%

A- Nice Amber/Orange hue. 1 finger of nice soft white head, with decent retention. Plenty of lacing left behind during drinking.

S- Hops! Smells like simcoe and cascade to me. Fruity and sweet nose with a little florals.

T- Not a whole ton of bitterness like I was expecting based on the nose, but a nice hoppy taste. Finishes with a hint of the malt/roast used. A really east-to-enjoy flavor.

M- Nice crisp mouthfeel. A pleasant bitterness. The right level of carbonation for this beer. Milt prolonging of the bitterness and hops into the aftertaste.

D- Highly drinkable. A great IPA (588 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%

Wow, not a huge 'hop head' but this really is a well-made brew. Terrapin hit a home-run with this beer. Descent nose, not a whole lot going on, but taste and drinkability are unreal. Subtle hints of fruit and spice lead to a great smooth finish. Overall, I really liked it. (273 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Amber and pretty clear. 1-finger head that lasts a long time.
S: Citrus and caramel. Mainly C-hops here and I love em.
T: Grapefruit and a touch of pine. I can taste a bit of rye, but I am glad to find an East coast beer where the hops are the highlight.
M: Bitter and dry. Not too sweet or carbonated.
D: I have drank 3 so far tonight, and foresee myself drinking a few more. This is a great IPA and I am very happy to have another nice option when I have a hop craving. (476 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served on tap at the EMORY Convention Center and Hotel Friday 24 May after a 2-day drive from Connecticut. Delicious and very satisfying. This would be my regular brew if not for Dogfish 60-minute IPA. Liked this Terrapin in the bottle, like it better on tap. (259 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +18.6%

A-Pours a nice amber with a tiny white head that leaves no lacing.

S-Hoppy, mostly grapefruit, there is a sweetness there and a touch of malt.

T-The flavor of this beer amazed me. It was so juicy and hoppy. It tasted like a grapefruit/orange/hoppy nectar, truly amazing. The hops dominated the flavor profile with just enough malt to balance it out so it wouldn't be a hop bomb. To be honest I have only drank one beer that tasted as juicy/nectar like as this and that would be Hopslam.

M-Syrupy with just the right amount of carbonation, it was great.

D-I could drink this beer all day, but its relatively high abv. would cut into its sessionability.

Overall, I don't know if it was just a fresh keg or what, but this beer flavor wise blew me away. I know my review is going to be much higher than the average, but the beer I had deserves the credit. I am going to purchase some bottles of this beer to further investigate its deliciousness, because it was great. I highly recommend trying this beer. (1,006 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

This beer is great I've loved it since the first week it hit the taps in the Burgh at Fatheads it was the best beer of the evening in a night of drinking on the Southside which says volumes considering your options. Aroma has a great citrus peel bouquet with floral highlights with a slight tart sourdough bread malt character. Greeen with hops not as lively as the tap version I tasted at Fathead's but it was a bit fresher. I'm sure this one is coming around in their sampler packs but the label may just be the highlight. A hooded Terrapin pulling the rope on a guillotine with a hop plant poking through the gallows. Classic Georgia based hop imagery. Ample sweetness with vinous fresh hops citrus, herbs, and pine elements play nicely but the citrus/grapefruit tropical fruits really stand out what an amazing session IPA I'm glad to be lucky enough to live in driving distance to the Terrapin lineup great beers for sure. They need a cap that will represent them better than the plain shiny golden version. Mouthfeel is slick with hop oils a nice all around hop monster that doesn't overbear the palate in anyway. Medium bodied mild carbonation which equates to a very nice drinking experience. Drinkability is pretty effortless a beer that I plan to catch again and again especially on tap. (1,297 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Smell: Nice, but not as fragrant as I'd expected from a beer whose very name brags of hop potency.
Taste: Certainly very hop-forward, as one would expect from the name. Nice malt undertone, more than a backbone- but the hops carry the day- again, as one would expect given the name. The taste also belies the fairly high ABV.
Mouthfeel: pleasantly quaffable, although sessioning these would probably not be a good idea- unless you plan to spend the night. (455 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

One of my favorite, go to IPAs. Creamy, medium carb and body, excellent citrus and floral notes. Sweet, balanced and tasty. Fairly big beer but really easy drinking. (165 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

This one pours a hazy light amber with a creamy off white head.
The aroma is of course hop forward with the citrus and pine notes, but I also pick up a lot of fruit aromas--apricot, pear, with a little mango perhaps.
The taste follows the nose closely. The dense fruity malt backbone stands up tall to the relentless Warrior, Chinook, Centennial, Simco, Amarillo, and Cascade assault. Very well balanced.
The mouthfeel is medium to heavy.
Overall a great IPA. I'm glad it's readily available here in the ATL. (508 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

appearance: golden amber hues, almost red

smell: some nice bitterness, not a citrus, more piney. loaded and more loaded hops, very plesant for a hop head

taste: again more on the piney side. sessionable hop bomb!

mouthfeel: nor balanced, the way I like it

drinkability: one of the best single IPAs out there. (312 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

For the hop heads this is a very refreshing beer. It is golden/ deep straw in color with a head between a quarter and half inch. Upon smelling I got noted of pine/grass and citrus. Great tasting hops with notes of grass and citrus. The bitterness is not overpowering and is balanced nicely with the other natural flavors of the hops. It is a smooth IPA with a great mouthfeel. This one is in my top 5 IPAs and I am always happy to come back to it whenever I get a chance. (471 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

$8.49 six pack from SuperSaver.

Hazy warm orange body, topped by a hefty dense level off-white head.

Strong aggressive citrus nose, plenty of grapefruit, orange, and apricot.

Sweet malt crawls across the tongue like its going under a limbo bar. Then its citrusy hops from everywhere, an explosion throughout the mouth.

Medium bubbly mouthfeel. Definitely good drinking IPA.

Another terrific Terrapin beer. (412 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

poured into a 20 oz. pint glass (I need to get another imperial pint glass)

Starts off as healthy 2 finger foamy head. Great retention and lacing that sticks around the glass till the last drop. Slightly hazy orange or more like a honey color.

Strong citrus hops and a sweet malt hits the nose first. Toasted malt and mild pine as well. You can pick up a little bit of alcohol, but it blends with malt. This American IPA is well balance in it's aroma. No characteristic dominating the other.

The taste is full of citrus and pine hops. Pretty much what I would expect from a good American IPA. Yet at the same time the balance from the malt works perfectly. Slightly toasted and sweet malt. No strong alcoholic notes probably because it blends with the malt so well. Finishes dry and bitter on the piney hop side.

Light to medium bodied and easy to drink. But, be careful with the 7.3% ABV

This is yet another brewery that delivers everything I would want from an American IPA. Strongly hopped yet still keeps some kind of balance. (1,038 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

horray for freshness dating!

pours an orangy amber color with white 1/2" head. tons of lacing that clings all over the glass. aroma is a mix of piney and citrus hops. taste consists of a nice malt backbone, with the hops slowly coming to the front. mouthfeel is light and refreshing.

probably the best IPA I've had yet. very high drinkability due to the great balanced taste. (378 characters)

F**k you in the Face
This category goes out to my friend Michael Kraus. He said that he likes a beer where the quality that people want in it (the sweetness, hops, bitterness, etc) is so strong it fucks you in the face. This one has a clear winner. Terrapin’s Hopsecutioner

Terrapin Hopsecutioner
This beer is nothing if not hoppy. Of the many breweries in the country, Terrapin handles hops some of the best. Of the many breweries in the south, Terrapin is one of the most known and respected. The beer is incredibly hoppy, but still drinkable. It is truly a triumph to Spike and the Terrapin crew. (604 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

A home run from Terrapin! Smell and appearance are excellent, mouthfeel is great, but this is certainly a sipping, not a drinking beer. Be careful!

I wonder what type of hops are used? Centennial? Sincoe? Warrior?

I hope they continue to create great beers in Athens!

I won't mind going to the Hopsecutioner as long as I can drink this along the way! (354 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

Enjoyed a couple glasses of this last week in Atlanta. I really enjoyed this IPA and the fresh Grapefruit/citrus character.

Each pint came with a finger of tight almost creamy head that did collapse rather quickly. While this was not served on cask, the entire beer had a cask quality to it. The look the mouthfeel... everything. Really nice. The beer was a hazy brown/amber color with just a touch of an orange highlight.

Aroma was fantastic. Bright, fresh, citrus with a slight malt/cracker/bread component in the background.

Flavor followed the aroma in many ways including being fantastic. This was a fresh beer, no getting around it. Bright, vibrant and clean. The citrus just attacked you with just the right amount of balance from the malt profile. More of a cracker/biscuit quality vs. straight bread. Balance that I like, which is to say leaning hoppy.. but still balanced.
Some more pine in the flavor than there was in the aroma.

Again, seemed cask like in its mouth feel. Tiny subdued carbonation, almost a creamy mouth feel.

I loved it and wish it was available where I live. (1,094 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +16%

C. Clear as can be
H. Dark golden yellow, Almost perfectly amber
N. VERY HOPPY, EXTREMELY Pleasant. Piney and slightly citrus-y

Ok, Hop Heads I thought that this would take my head off by its name...well not really. This was a sexy beer with its white sticky head, that decided to hang out on my glass the entire time. It smelled like a Hop BOMB but fell a little short on the attack. A smooth taste lead into a lingering bitterness. Don't get me wrong this was an awesome IPA, just the name lead me to believe that I finally found a beer to compete with Ruination. Well not so much, but it was still a great drink. I would put it on par with Hop Slam by Bells. This is a beer that is easy to drink more than one, and is definitely worth picking up this weekend from your local beer shop. I think I will grab a few more.
Score: 4.498 (834 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +16%

A-Pours honey gold with an orange tint. Decent off white head that has fair retention and a bit of lacing. Looks pretty good.

S-Mostly pine hop notes with a bit of citrus and biscuity malt way in the background. Smells really good.

T-This is where this beer shines. Very hoppy, spicy/sweet. Very interesting. Pleasant malt backbone here. I'm loving the delicate balancing act, the emphasis on the hops while still retaining a malt presence.

M-Medium body with a crisp carb bite yet is still somehow smooth and a nice bitter finish.

D-This is one hoppy beer I could easily have many of in a sitting.

This is a great job by Terrapin. A really enjoyable and extremely drinkable IPA. I'm really glad I picked up a sixer and I'll be going back to get another for sure. (768 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a nice golden amber color, not hazzy, with a small off-white head, that leaves a bit of lacing on the glass.

Smell- You can smell alot of grapefruit coming up. Some spices and pine are also present, overall great smell.

Taste- I thought this would be alot more bitter than it was. The fruit and pine definitly settled everything down. Definitly one of my favorite IPA's.

Mouthfeel- body is medium, but smooth. Definitly not overcarbonated.

Drinkability- Great beer overall, I can sit down with a few of these and not even realize its a 7.3ABV. Ide rather choose to forget than try and remember.

Another great beer from Terrapin. (692 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a. 13 oz tulip glass, best bymid July. Pours a wonderful orange, with a one inch white that leaves nice lace. Smell is pine, tangerine, grass, carmel, and grapefruit. Taste is all of that, balanced nicely with some marijuana flavors in the finish. Body medium large, plenty of life, lush not dry, and very drinkable. Thanks again to friend Pat for bringing this treat from Florida for me. This is very a solid IPA. (426 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Look: Darkish amber color. Super clear with quickly dissipating 1 finger head. OK lacing.

Smell: A lot going on at once. Ruby Red Grapefruit, tropical fruits, oranges, caramel, toffee, slight pine, a touch of pepper, and slight alcohol.

Taste: I've never had a beer harder to describe. It is touted as using 6 different hops and 4 different malts, and you can definitely tell it. There's pine, tropical fruit, grapefruit, oranges, pepper, something that reminds me of dry cinnamon that pops up every once in while, caramel, toffee, raisins, a slight touch of booze and things I still can't find a name for. The finish is a flavor I've never tasted, well, anywhere, yet it seems really familiar... Maybe its all the familiar flavors mixing together? The slight aftertaste is more peppery than bitter with just a touch of alcohol. Either way, this is really good to me.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with crisp carbonation. Light lingering bitterness with a peppery, almost minty, tingle.

Overall: I really love this beer! The 6 hops and 4 malts mix together to form something super unique and addictive. Excellent balance. Will have this many more times to come. (1,162 characters)

Terrapin Hopsecutioner from Terrapin Beer Company