Terrapin Hopsecutioner - Terrapin Beer Company

Georgia, United States

Beer added by: Anthony1 on 11-03-2009

Reviews: 706 | Hads: 2,945
1.97/5  rDev -48.3%

Another generous extra from jpmclaug. Thank you, Jason! I had this beer once in a blind tasting and I will attempt to review this with a fresh perspective. The previous results were, shall we say, unimpressive.

Near amber pour with loads of fizzy carbonation. I can just sense a malt bomb coming.

Ugh, here comes the caramel malt. What is more disconcerting is the unmistakable smell of vomit when swirled vigorously in the glass. Akin to riding past the trash dump while someone blows chunks onto your dashboard. Seriously, what the hell is going on here?

Oh Hopsecutioner, if only there were an immediate and swift response by some necessary-at-times-like-these bureaucratic agency that came to your house, gave you a stern lecture, and permanently removed your moniker forever more. I want to be slayed by hops, not gently kissed by tangerine and manhandled by a filthy, groping malt monster. Why???? Argggghhh

The mouthfeel is odd and strangely carbonated and this weird cloying sweetness and the feel of being sick pervades the experience. This is a fail for me. (1,072 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -46.2%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving type - bottle

Appearance - Golden tan/yellow, looks like grapefruit juice, no head

Smell - I dont smell anything? No hops or citris. No spices, o man, im worried now

Taste - I knew with the smell i was gonna be disapointed. This is like the most mild ipa ever. Virtually no kick or bite. You get a little hop juice taste at the end but thats it. Im amazed this is 7.5 %, id guess 3-4% This is a joke

Mouthfeel - Not much feel. No bite, palette acts like your drinking crystal light.

Drinkabilty - Well, its so bland, you can slam these down, but at 7.5 it would sneek up on you. This is like a beginners ipa. Theres no way id buy this again when they make hopzilla. (679 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -45.9%

Well, I promised to give this another try on tap, so here goes. Served in a nonic pint glass, Hopsecutioner is light amber with a modest head and lazy lacing. Comments from my bottle review added for reference.

Bottle: Aromas and flavors are certainly pleasant, but entirely too tame, particularly in the hops department. Malts are crisp, a little nutty, a little sweet. Hop presence is light citrus with a small bite of piney bitterness. Frustratingly restrained. Finishes rather dry, with some crisp malt and a hint of booziness being the only lingering flavors. Medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

Tap: Sad to say, but an old bottle was not to blame before. This is simply a bland IPA. I'm curious about the reasoning of building such a mild beer at such a sizeable ABV. Exceedingly tame aroma with gentle notions of pine, citric and tealike hops. Taste is similarly frustrating; this stuff is lacking in any defining characteristics. Primary aroma and flavor seems to be alcohol. Terrapin is very much hit and miss for me, and I'm afraid this has to go in the 'miss' category. Not so much horrible as horribly boring. (1,124 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -44.6%

Best by: 12.19.14. Drank 11.13.14. 12oz bottle poured into a Mason Jar pint.

A: Pours a hazy bright orange with two fingers of bright, billowing head. Lots of big pitting, small patches of lacing, dissipates to a few small islands and a high collar. A fair amount of suspended particulates. Light visible carbonation.

S: Earthy, metallic, traces of what could resemble hops... but nowhere near enough to get past the grunge/yeastiness/biscuity aroma. Awful for an IPA, and to be frank, awful for any beer style.

T: Weak. Little to no clarity. Pepper and Earth. Bready malt, toasted biscuit... once again, awful.

M: Watery and bitter. Not much carbonation, dull to taste. Lingering earthy bitterness reminds me of how awful this smells and tastes well after I last went though those painful endeavors.

O: An incredible disappointment from a beer which I didn't even have high hopes for, just that it would be a decent regional IPA to drink in the Southeast. But this is not even close, not by a long shot. I'm giving a 2 all around for effort.

Maybe I had an infected bottle, but unless someone one day hands me this beer, I will not be having it again. (1,158 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -39.6%

This APA was my first selection of a truely hopsy beer by Terrapin. Suffice it to say, it wasn't my favorite.

A: Poured a light brown color with decent head and little to no lacing, typical of APA's.

S: Hops up front with alcohol notes. Undertone of hopsy florals.

T: Not my favorite. A bitter flavor most notable from the hops. Not sweet. Slightly acidic and alcoholic and over the top hops. Definitely out-of-balance on the far hopsy side. Only saving grace is the flavor is dry and doesn't linger.

M: Full bodied and dry. Carbonation is fizzy and gassy.

D: Not one of my favorites. If you really like hopsy APA's or IPA's, this might be right up your alley. It wasn't up mine. (684 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

umm. Wow. Not quite sure how to describe this one. It's like a watered down versuon of the Dogfish 60. Not even the 90, but the 60 . It's a fairly smooth for a 7.3% IPA, but not the best! If you're thinking of drinking this beer, go with a Dogfish 60 instead. If you're looking for a real high gravity IPA, with lots of flavor...go with the Dogfish 90. (352 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

I'm from Eugene Oregon. Not so much snobbish as particular. May be the same thing. Terrapins seems to be a fine brewer, but from my experience, to call something "Hopsecutioner" would mean something quite hoppy. Hoppy this is not. I've had black hole inducing puckers and fifty variations more hoppy than this (Hop Valley Alpha Centuri Binary, Stone Crime, Russian River Pliny The Elder, Bonyard Hop Venom etc. etc.). I give it a low rating for the poor naming. It matters ;) (475 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle with a best before date of June 28th. into a Captain Lawrence pint glass.

A: Standard pour yields a 1.5 finger, creamy, semi-fine, white head with moderate retention. Beer is a clear orange... and when I say orange, I mean the most orange that orange can get! Lacing is outrageously ample. Thick, web-like froth covers the glass in layer upon layer. Just giving it a swirl creates new foamy patterns. Excellent.

S: Peaches, citrus, slight astringent hop aroma. Creamy overtones blend all the flavors together but also serve to tone them down, making them lack clarity.

T: Opens skunky sour with an ethanol-like scent that invades the nostrils through my mouth. Piny hop character finally appears towards the middle but there's a weird sourness that just won't go away throughout the whole experience. Astringent hops towards the end that leaves a lasting impression on the palate. Also some citrus notes make an appearance at the end. A very aggressive beer with no balance which is ok. However, given the odd sourness present, this just tastes a bit weird and unpleasant.

M: Light bodied, moderatly carbonated, but very coarse. Watery in the mouth but goes down rough. Thirst-quenching comes to mind. Harsh on the back of the throat with a messy finish that lingers for just a second.

D: I'm a fan of balanced IPAs but can definitely appreciate those over-hopped, one sided creations also. However, this is not one of them. A slight sourness was present throughout the whole beer which made it taste out of the ordinary in a bad way. The mouthfeel, while appropriate for the style, doesn't help matters here, accentuating the slightly sour hop character. I'll skip this next time. (1,717 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -31.8%

A: hazy copper color. Then little amount of head dissipated quickly.

S: A little orange, grass, floral notes.

T: Bitter all the way through. I feel the malt overpowers the hops. I get some orange peel, but I am not really impressed with the overall balance of the beer.

M: Average. Refreshing. Medium Body. Decent Carbonation.

D: an average beer with tons of hops bitterness, but none of the floral citrus notes. Not well balanced. I would not buy this.f (458 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -28.9%

This is a strange beer - it promises a blast of hops, but it delivers a musty, earthy taste that actually tends to emphasize the malt far more than is probably appropriate for an IPA. If anything, this beer reminds me of Fat Tire from New Belgium, which is a malty brown ale.

Pours a dirty amber with a slight head that falls away fairly quickly leaving little lacing. The aroma is earth and a bit sour. The hops are evident, but it is hard to determine what they are - along with the earthiness comes a sharply overripe flower smell. The flavor is musty and earthy, with a toasted malt bite and an overripe floral, citrusy hop taste. There is a sharp lemony bitterness at the end, though it falls away to a fairly sour finish. The mouthfeel is slick and a little prickly.

I am not so sure I am on board with this beer. (821 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a 12oz Pint Glass.

A- Poured a deep orangy copper color. I could not see through this beer. Had about a finger width head that died down quickly. Barley any lacing left as drank.
S- All im getting are sweet malts, no hop presence in the nose.I could tell this is an east coast style IPA, no citra or floral hop presence poking for me.
T- Very subtle hop presence for an IPA. Sweet malts pretty much take over this beer with a slightly hoppy finish. What killed this beer for me is about a second after the swallow a faint taste of metal lingered on the palate. I didn't like this whats so ever.
M- Medium carbonation and slightly creamy almost.

O- As a fan of West Coast floraly/Citrus IPA's, this IPA simply was not for me. For a name like "Hopsecutioner" I expected the hop presence to be a lot stronger but the malt flavor just over powered it for me. As a fan of super hoppy beers, I was somewhat deceived by the name. But for this east coast brew it wasn't BAD. I enjoyed this beer until that metal like taste hit me at the end. An OK beer. However, i will not be buying this again. (1,101 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -26.5%

12oz bottle served in tulip pint.

A: Pours a rather clear orange-ish copper. A relatively small, but fluffy, ivory head comes from a semi-vigorous pour. Head displays decent retention. Nice lacing.

S: Sweetish almost bready smell...cornbread maybe? Nearly a complete lack of hop character in the scent. wtf?

T: Piney up front followed by just a bit of mango. Malty carmel sweetness. Peppery spice from the hops. Finishes a bit too sweet for an IPA...reminds me a little of orange kool-aid.

M: Soft and coating, but a little thin. Too watery.

D: Not a very interesting beer, but it is fairly easy to drink. Also, it drinks at a little lower than 7.2% abv.

I remember enjoying this beer more when I've had it on tap in the past, but I found this go 'round to be completely underwhelming. Maybe the bottled version is inferior, or maybe it's just not as good as I recall. Either way, its not a bad beer, but there are so many good IPA's out there that this one doesn't do anything to separate itself from the pack. (1,018 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. I will say, this is some pretty cool artwork on the label.

A: Pours a deep copper, almost apple juice color. The pour drops a finger of off white head that fades pretty quickly and dosen't leave much lace.

A: Hoppy, citrus and pine. Maybe some sugar cane or honey. A hefty amount of caramel malt balances the nose.

T: Falls a little short for me here. The malt overtakes the hops in the brew. An IPA should be about the hops, but not in this case. Finishes sugary and dry.

M: Medium to heavy body. Small carbonation makes for a syrupy mouthfeel.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is on the lower side here, I just couldn't get past the overuse of caramel malt. Overall, not very impressed with this one. I wish they would have dialed back the malt and let the hops take center stage, but oh well. Not one I'll be trying again anytime soon. Skal. (906 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -24.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a leffe chalice.

Pours a dark amber color with little head that dissipated very quickly. Decent lacing on the glass.

I get mostly a piney aroma on the nose, along with something I can't quite make out. Maybe a little earthy?

Taste is pleasant. Some piney hop flavors and some hop bitterness, but really not that much. Mouthfeel is pretty thin.

Overall a decent IPA, but disappointing for a beer with the name Hopsecutioner. Would drink it again if offered, but not something I'm going to seek out. (527 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -24.1%

This was my first offering from Terrapin. 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. This is a great looking beer! It has a hazy burnt orange w/ a nice white fluffy head and sticky lacing. I'm picking up orange, tangerines, and a good amount of pine. The aromas are slightly faint. Although the flavors are nice, they're very subtle, which really hurts. The taste doesn't linger on the tongue, it more-less dissapears. Somewhat bland for the style, not bold at all. Now the mouthfeel on this beer is great! It's very smooth and creamy w/ just the right amount of carbonation. Drinkability isn't bad, but loses a point for being so straight forward, but the alcohol is masked, which is a plus.

Well, I suppose I expected a little more. Now granted this wasn't the freshest batch, I still don't think I'd be super impressed if it was fresh. I'm still looking forward to trying more from Terrapin. It's just that in the world of IPAs, there are too many better offerings. (973 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -23.4%

From 12oz bottle labeled enjoy by 4/15 into belled pint glass.
L- darker amber with reasonable head
S- Malty for all the hop hype on the label
T-balance tips towards malty
F-slightly low on carbonation, but not far off (219 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured into a nonic pint glass, light orangey/copper amber color with about a half inch of head. Lacing is minimal.

Smell is mainly grassy and some piney hops. There isn't much hop bitterness.

The flavor of this beer was mediocre at best. The malt backbone was the dominant flavor in this beer, though there were some notes of pine and grassy hops. The bartender agreed with me that this was a bit toned down and not nearly worthy of the name.

Even so, it was pretty decently textured and carbonated. Aside from the disappointing flavor, this beer was pretty standard for an IPA. The texture was spot on, but I couldn't see myself drinking this again. (655 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

The best by date is December, and it's July...not sure how Terrapin does their freshness on hoppy beers but I hope it isn't more than six months out and so I'm assuming this one is pretty fresh.

Very pure golden amber color, nice and clear but pretty typical for an IPA. The head is thin and fades pretty quickly.

The nose is pretty sweet, not a lot of hops but some enticing candy aromas and some floral and weak citrus notes. Taken by itself, the smell is very nice. Considering that the beer is an IPA, it's not very promising in terms of what kind of hop profile you might expect.

Okay, it's hoppier than the nose led me to expect, but not by much. Not a lot of complexity in the hop profile, just some light bitterness with a bit of sugar thrown in somewhere. Maybe a little flower, maybe a little orange citrus, but really you have to search hard to find anything interesting.

Not really sure about the mouthfeel, there's noticeable fizz in the mouth but not a lot of body and no head retention. Not terrible but not very impressive either.

Overall, the beer is plenty drinkable but hardly oustanding. Not very hoppy, not very citrusy, but fortunately not very malty either. I'm going to finish the glass but I'm not going to buy it again anytime soon. Decent but boring.

5.8/10 (1,290 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -22.3%

poured into a tulip glass, a nice orange hue on the light side with a finger of slowly dissolving head leaving minor lacing

Smells of maybe just a hint of citrus-not a lot of nose to this one at all

Tastes bitter with a faint hint of citrus and pine and an alcohol finish

Mouthful- bubbly with an alcohol sting

Drinkability- not a lot to this one. maybe

3.5/2.5/3.5/3.5/3.0

my guess= an APA (396 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I had this after a Lagunitas IPA and on first couple of sips, was disappointed. Its very, very smooth and to me, has no aroma. On taste, it has a nice IPA bite and a good finish. It sort of grows on you and I think if you started drinking this without another, it would be better. (293 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -21.8%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear deep gold color with no particulates and an almost white head.

Pepper and vegetal notes on the nose. With a sharp, green, dankness to it. Wondering if there's anything but hops in here!

Sweet, metallic taste on the uptake. Hops not as forward as in nose. Somewhat caramel tasting malt profile... this isn't nearly as hoppy of a taste as I expected.

Moderate carbonation with a crisp but somewhat sweet mouthfeel.

Overall an okay IPA but really disappointed in the lack of hops after the explosive nose on this one. Probably won't seek out. (596 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle I to a dfh snifter.... No bottle on date, but it says drink by the third week of January so I am assuming it must be closer to fresh then old. Although I have no idea how long of a code terrapin puts in these things.

A: pours a nice hazy orange amber with about half a finger if white head... Head dissapates quickly, leavs some lacing.

S: uh oh, the nose is very malty, there are some citrusy notes, but I'm not getting much hops here, I'm getting more caramel and bready malt aromas...

T: sadly not much different then the aroma, there is some citrus and light bitterness, but I am getting mainly bready and caramel malt flavors.

M: doesn't seem bad, medium body, with low medium carbonation, and what seems like it was meant to be a dry bitter finish.

O: I'm dissapointed, after all the good things I heard about terrapin, not that this is supposed to be their greatest release, but still. I feel as though this beer is past it's prime... And gas deffinatly lost mostly all it's hops.... Which leads me to two things.
1) terrapin puts much too long of a enjoy by code on their beer, with this supposedly having a good three months left of shelf life,
2) if this is a reasonable representation of the beers intended form then terrapin should deffinatly reformulate this one...
Either way it's too bad and I am dissapointed. (1,361 characters)

I had this on tap at Taco Mac Metropolis. The beer is clear and copper colored with an off-white wet-looking thin head (less than 1/2 finger). The beer smells hoppy, more in a bitter way than in a citrus or floral way. Same with the taste, bitter and a little spicy, not really all that pleasant an after-taste. Overall, this feels like a generic brewpub version an IPA, not bad but nothing special. When will I stop expecting more from Terrapin? (446 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours a golden copper with medium frothy white head. Slow carbonation rising to the top with spots of lacing down the glass. Good smell of strong and piney resinous hops and a solid caramel malt backbone. Taste features both strong hops and malt but with a lack of good balance. There seems no method to the madness here. They are muddled together with neither shining or proving where they stand as a part of the beer itself. Hops win with an ever present bitterness but they are combined with an incessant sweetness that persists relentlessly at times. Finishes bitter and drying, though with a slight lack of carbonation, it seems a tad watery and nearly syrupy due to the competition with the malts all the same. Doesn't tickle my tongue or urge me to take the next sip. I'm normally a fan of almost anything Terrapin puts out there...this one is a bit of a miss. (867 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

So close yet so far!

This IPA has the potential to be another Alpha King, but unfortunately misses the mark in a big way.

A- Beautiful dank hazy, orange. 1 finger tight dense, head- good retention.

S- Slight floral hops with grapefruit, very faint tropical aromas.

T- Not getting much. Sam Adams meets Sierra Nevada?

O- Once again, I really hope this was an off bottle, though it says I have 3 more months to enjoy. Nothing enjoyable or memorable about this one. 3 sips and down the drain. (496 characters)

Terrapin Hopsecutioner from Terrapin Beer Company