Terrapin Hopsecutioner - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin HopsecutionerTerrapin Hopsecutioner

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

(Beer added by: Anthony1 on 11-03-2009)
2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

2.85/5  rDev -25.6%

12oz bottle served in tulip pint.

A: Pours a rather clear orange-ish copper. A relatively small, but fluffy, ivory head comes from a semi-vigorous pour. Head displays decent retention. Nice lacing.

S: Sweetish almost bready smell...cornbread maybe? Nearly a complete lack of hop character in the scent. wtf?

T: Piney up front followed by just a bit of mango. Malty carmel sweetness. Peppery spice from the hops. Finishes a bit too sweet for an IPA...reminds me a little of orange kool-aid.

M: Soft and coating, but a little thin. Too watery.

D: Not a very interesting beer, but it is fairly easy to drink. Also, it drinks at a little lower than 7.2% abv.

I remember enjoying this beer more when I've had it on tap in the past, but I found this go 'round to be completely underwhelming. Maybe the bottled version is inferior, or maybe it's just not as good as I recall. Either way, its not a bad beer, but there are so many good IPA's out there that this one doesn't do anything to separate itself from the pack.

2.88/5  rDev -24.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a leffe chalice.

Pours a dark amber color with little head that dissipated very quickly. Decent lacing on the glass.

I get mostly a piney aroma on the nose, along with something I can't quite make out. Maybe a little earthy?

Taste is pleasant. Some piney hop flavors and some hop bitterness, but really not that much. Mouthfeel is pretty thin.

Overall a decent IPA, but disappointing for a beer with the name Hopsecutioner. Would drink it again if offered, but not something I'm going to seek out.

2.9/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured into a nonic pint glass, light orangey/copper amber color with about a half inch of head. Lacing is minimal.

Smell is mainly grassy and some piney hops. There isn't much hop bitterness.

The flavor of this beer was mediocre at best. The malt backbone was the dominant flavor in this beer, though there were some notes of pine and grassy hops. The bartender agreed with me that this was a bit toned down and not nearly worthy of the name.

Even so, it was pretty decently textured and carbonated. Aside from the disappointing flavor, this beer was pretty standard for an IPA. The texture was spot on, but I couldn't see myself drinking this again.

2.9/5  rDev -24.3%

This was my first offering from Terrapin. 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. This is a great looking beer! It has a hazy burnt orange w/ a nice white fluffy head and sticky lacing. I'm picking up orange, tangerines, and a good amount of pine. The aromas are slightly faint. Although the flavors are nice, they're very subtle, which really hurts. The taste doesn't linger on the tongue, it more-less dissapears. Somewhat bland for the style, not bold at all. Now the mouthfeel on this beer is great! It's very smooth and creamy w/ just the right amount of carbonation. Drinkability isn't bad, but loses a point for being so straight forward, but the alcohol is masked, which is a plus.

Well, I suppose I expected a little more. Now granted this wasn't the freshest batch, I still don't think I'd be super impressed if it was fresh. I'm still looking forward to trying more from Terrapin. It's just that in the world of IPAs, there are too many better offerings.

2.92/5  rDev -23.8%

2.93/5  rDev -23.5%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear deep gold color with no particulates and an almost white head.

Pepper and vegetal notes on the nose. With a sharp, green, dankness to it. Wondering if there's anything but hops in here!

Sweet, metallic taste on the uptake. Hops not as forward as in nose. Somewhat caramel tasting malt profile... this isn't nearly as hoppy of a taste as I expected.

Moderate carbonation with a crisp but somewhat sweet mouthfeel.

Overall an okay IPA but really disappointed in the lack of hops after the explosive nose on this one. Probably won't seek out.

2.93/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

The best by date is December, and it's July...not sure how Terrapin does their freshness on hoppy beers but I hope it isn't more than six months out and so I'm assuming this one is pretty fresh.

Very pure golden amber color, nice and clear but pretty typical for an IPA. The head is thin and fades pretty quickly.

The nose is pretty sweet, not a lot of hops but some enticing candy aromas and some floral and weak citrus notes. Taken by itself, the smell is very nice. Considering that the beer is an IPA, it's not very promising in terms of what kind of hop profile you might expect.

Okay, it's hoppier than the nose led me to expect, but not by much. Not a lot of complexity in the hop profile, just some light bitterness with a bit of sugar thrown in somewhere. Maybe a little flower, maybe a little orange citrus, but really you have to search hard to find anything interesting.

Not really sure about the mouthfeel, there's noticeable fizz in the mouth but not a lot of body and no head retention. Not terrible but not very impressive either.

Overall, the beer is plenty drinkable but hardly oustanding. Not very hoppy, not very citrusy, but fortunately not very malty either. I'm going to finish the glass but I'm not going to buy it again anytime soon. Decent but boring.

5.8/10

2.98/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle I to a dfh snifter.... No bottle on date, but it says drink by the third week of January so I am assuming it must be closer to fresh then old. Although I have no idea how long of a code terrapin puts in these things.

A: pours a nice hazy orange amber with about half a finger if white head... Head dissapates quickly, leavs some lacing.

S: uh oh, the nose is very malty, there are some citrusy notes, but I'm not getting much hops here, I'm getting more caramel and bready malt aromas...

T: sadly not much different then the aroma, there is some citrus and light bitterness, but I am getting mainly bready and caramel malt flavors.

M: doesn't seem bad, medium body, with low medium carbonation, and what seems like it was meant to be a dry bitter finish.

O: I'm dissapointed, after all the good things I heard about terrapin, not that this is supposed to be their greatest release, but still. I feel as though this beer is past it's prime... And gas deffinatly lost mostly all it's hops.... Which leads me to two things.
1) terrapin puts much too long of a enjoy by code on their beer, with this supposedly having a good three months left of shelf life,
2) if this is a reasonable representation of the beers intended form then terrapin should deffinatly reformulate this one...
Either way it's too bad and I am dissapointed.

poured into a tulip glass, a nice orange hue on the light side with a finger of slowly dissolving head leaving minor lacing

Smells of maybe just a hint of citrus-not a lot of nose to this one at all

Tastes bitter with a faint hint of citrus and pine and an alcohol finish

Mouthful- bubbly with an alcohol sting

Drinkability- not a lot to this one. maybe

3.5/2.5/3.5/3.5/3.0

my guess= an APA

When I found out that Terrapin was adding an IPA to it's portfolio, I was very excited. As a resident of Atlanta, I always look forward to supporting local breweries. However, I feel that Terrapin missed the mark with this one.

High Points:

Smell - The smell out of the bottle is quite hoppy which raises your expectations on the taste of the beer. There is lots of citrus in the nose from the five hops. Nice!

Appearance - The beer is crystal clear with a nice foamy head. Not a problem here.

Not so High Points:

Taste - The taste of this beer just doesn't measure up to the nice hop aroma and my expectations. The malt sweetness is a bit lacking and the hop flavor isn't quite enough for me either.

It seems to me that this beer cannot decide what it wants to be. It isn't a hop bomb like a Stone beer and it doesn't have a strong enough hop/sweet malt mix to be a well balanced IPA (think Fort Collins Rocky Mountain IPA or Sweetwater IPA). I think that Terrapin should have kicked up the hops and the malt in this one. I will probably buy it again but I can think of 20 other IPA's that are superior.

Terrapin Hopsecutioner from Terrapin Beer Company