Terrapin Hopsecutioner - Terrapin Beer Company

Georgia, United States

Beer added by: Anthony1 on 11-03-2009

Ratings: 2,916 | Reviews: 745
3.62/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

very sweet and malty. Could use more hops. Although my beer was probably two months old. extra in a trade. Sticky after taste. Average IPA.

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

June 15, 2015

12 oz can, tulip glass

A – Light amber with a decidedly orange-ish tint, and very clear. An inch-plus of thick white foam fades slowly.

S – Woodsy, pine, followed by mango, papaya. Light caramel, and lightly baked bread dough.

T – Tropical fruit, not particularly bright, guava and papaya. Pine is more subdued here, along with some woodsy, resiny flavor. Malt flavor is low, light bread and some bread crust. A lot of hop bitterness waves in and stays.

M – Medium-bodied and quite dry. Medium-high carbonation really cleanses the palate, a big help with the moderate-high hop bitterness. Some juiciness up front helps to balance things out.

O – I like that this has some pretty intense bitterness but nothing seems out of proportion. Very well-made.

3.79/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I enjoyed this beer. I have to say I like the art work for this brewery. The beer has a good hop aroma and flavor. Nice bitter finish.

3.99/5  rDev +4.2%

Not too hoppy which is what I expected but I still enjoyed it. Went well with some spicy seafood and raw oysters. Would have liked a little more ummmphhh but still enjoyable Decent head and lacing but nothing to write home about

4.23/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I very nice IPA. At 7.4% ABV I was prepared for something that took me back to a high school party at a gravel pit, grave yard, barn, abandoned house, or all of the above. But I was pleasantly surprised. It was not overpowering, yet still bold. My first experience with the beer followed a Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin. Big mistake. Too much comparing and contrasting. I'm too much of a green horn to be doing that. The next time around, however, I started with the Terrapin and it was a totally different experience. I would gladly have another. Or two. Or twelve.

3.48/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Dark golden color with multiple finger head that recedes slowly. The lacing is thin. Subtle nose of hops with booze. For a beer called Hopsecutioner, it had a surprising malt body between the hop start and finish. The hop was a little bitter at the tip of the tongue and mellowed out at the end for a smooth finish. Light carbonation and a medium body without an alcohol aftertaste.
It is a fine and drinkable IPA, but not nearly as hop heavy as it advertises. It's smoothness is my favorite part of it. Middle of the road IPA.

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

Not Impressed At All...Could Have Been An Old Bottle.

3.96/5  rDev +3.4%

Bottled 1 month ago. Poured in a snifter. Beautiful burnt orange color, slightly hazy, with a resilient 1-finger foamy white head that stayed for a while. The aroma was a bit subdued by today's standards but there was a nice dose of pine, orange and grapefruit that went away quickly. Taste: lots of malt at first reminiscent of a English IPA but followed quickly with a bracing clean bitterness and a good mix of citrus and pine. Hops and malt played well together. A good clean finish. Medium-bodied with good carbonation, highlighting the malt presence. Overall, a very tasty brew! A definite American-style English IPA if that makes sense and a nice alternative to their Hi-5. 'll drink this again if the mood strikes me.

2.96/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I had this after a Lagunitas IPA and on first couple of sips, was disappointed. Its very, very smooth and to me, has no aroma. On taste, it has a nice IPA bite and a good finish. It sort of grows on you and I think if you started drinking this without another, it would be better.

4.01/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A bit light on the lace but a nice light IBU IPA. Very smooth with a pleasant after taste. Very nice!

I did not enjoy this as would other 'hoppy' beers, ex. Laguna.

4.59/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pretty good! Goes wells with spicy food

3.38/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Even by American pale ale standards, it doesn't have the satisfying grapefruit-y bite I expect from a pale ale. The bar I'm having it in may have an older keg that may have skunked slightly, so I'm being more lenient, but just not what expected. Still decent, though.

3.79/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle into a wine tumbler.

A: Appealing, clear medium-copper with a 1/2" head that dissipates quickly & leaves little retention. Lacing is nonexistent.

S: Lots of malt, cracker, cereal. Buried in there I'm getting a faint citrus-hop component. I actually like the subtlety here, even for a brew called 'hopsecutioner'.

T: Some balanced hop character up front, hits with pine & a bit of grapefruit. Mid-palate reads to me more like an amber ale, pretty crackery. The finish has a nice lingering hop-bitter note that wraps things up pretty well.

M: A bit oily, a bit soapy, overall very slick. Carb is too low in my opinion, really makes this brew more one-dimensional than it could be.

O: I don't hate it but I'm really not blown away. It really fails to live up to its namesake, but does a nice job of toying around with being more of an OK English-style IPA. I'll give it extra points for masking the high-ish ABV so effectively - I feel like I could murder a 6er of these guys.

3.81/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Halfway clear in regular glass. Huge head of off white suds. Big loopy lace.

Aroma: Yummy dank hops. Definitely some citrus. Nice.

Taste: Pleasantly citrus and tropical happiness. Little dry at finish but a superb IPA overall!

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

CUTE LABEL .. name doesn't fit what u drank.. I'm guess in is made with dry hops .. Glad I tried it if you offered it to me I'd have another but not going to be buying

Good IPA and easy to drink

4.73/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

An excellent IPA with robust flavor and a nice hoppy note!

Excellent. Not too hoppy despite its name. Just right.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Great beer, just not as hopy as a would have thought.

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

Solid American IPA. Liked this one and would have it again.

3.82/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I've had on draft and bottle. This time rating draft. It's good but doesn't rank among my favorite ipas

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Great beer, less heavy on the hops and more malt-centric.

3.02/5  rDev -21.1%

Underwhelming in a crowded ipa market. Hop profile is muddled; nothing cohesive about how hops were put together. Nose nothing special. Just ok.

3.34/5  rDev -12.8%