2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Terrapin Hopsecutioner - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin HopsecutionerTerrapin Hopsecutioner

Ratings: 2029

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

(Beer added by: Anthony1 on 11-03-2009)
View: Beers (39) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,029 | Reviews: 654 | Show All Ratings:
AdamGarcia

2.85/5  rDev -25.6%

12oz bottle served in tulip pint.

A: Pours a rather clear orange-ish copper. A relatively small, but fluffy, ivory head comes from a semi-vigorous pour. Head displays decent retention. Nice lacing.

S: Sweetish almost bready smell...cornbread maybe? Nearly a complete lack of hop character in the scent. wtf?

T: Piney up front followed by just a bit of mango. Malty carmel sweetness. Peppery spice from the hops. Finishes a bit too sweet for an IPA...reminds me a little of orange kool-aid.

M: Soft and coating, but a little thin. Too watery.

D: Not a very interesting beer, but it is fairly easy to drink. Also, it drinks at a little lower than 7.2% abv.

I remember enjoying this beer more when I've had it on tap in the past, but I found this go 'round to be completely underwhelming. Maybe the bottled version is inferior, or maybe it's just not as good as I recall. Either way, its not a bad beer, but there are so many good IPA's out there that this one doesn't do anything to separate itself from the pack.

07-25-2010 03:42:45 | More by AdamGarcia
BB1313

2.85/5  rDev -25.6%

This was my first offering from Terrapin. 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. This is a great looking beer! It has a hazy burnt orange w/ a nice white fluffy head and sticky lacing. I'm picking up orange, tangerines, and a good amount of pine. The aromas are slightly faint. Although the flavors are nice, they're very subtle, which really hurts. The taste doesn't linger on the tongue, it more-less dissapears. Somewhat bland for the style, not bold at all. Now the mouthfeel on this beer is great! It's very smooth and creamy w/ just the right amount of carbonation. Drinkability isn't bad, but loses a point for being so straight forward, but the alcohol is masked, which is a plus.

Well, I suppose I expected a little more. Now granted this wasn't the freshest batch, I still don't think I'd be super impressed if it was fresh. I'm still looking forward to trying more from Terrapin. It's just that in the world of IPAs, there are too many better offerings.

01-12-2011 03:32:10 | More by BB1313
mtalley999

Maryland

2.88/5  rDev -24.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a leffe chalice.

Pours a dark amber color with little head that dissipated very quickly. Decent lacing on the glass.

I get mostly a piney aroma on the nose, along with something I can't quite make out. Maybe a little earthy?

Taste is pleasant. Some piney hop flavors and some hop bitterness, but really not that much. Mouthfeel is pretty thin.

Overall a decent IPA, but disappointing for a beer with the name Hopsecutioner. Would drink it again if offered, but not something I'm going to seek out.

10-13-2011 01:11:06 | More by mtalley999
NittanyBeerFan

2.9/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured into a nonic pint glass, light orangey/copper amber color with about a half inch of head. Lacing is minimal.

Smell is mainly grassy and some piney hops. There isn't much hop bitterness.

The flavor of this beer was mediocre at best. The malt backbone was the dominant flavor in this beer, though there were some notes of pine and grassy hops. The bartender agreed with me that this was a bit toned down and not nearly worthy of the name.

Even so, it was pretty decently textured and carbonated. Aside from the disappointing flavor, this beer was pretty standard for an IPA. The texture was spot on, but I couldn't see myself drinking this again.

01-31-2010 21:59:15 | More by NittanyBeerFan
AlexFields

Tennessee

2.93/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

The best by date is December, and it's July...not sure how Terrapin does their freshness on hoppy beers but I hope it isn't more than six months out and so I'm assuming this one is pretty fresh.

Very pure golden amber color, nice and clear but pretty typical for an IPA. The head is thin and fades pretty quickly.

The nose is pretty sweet, not a lot of hops but some enticing candy aromas and some floral and weak citrus notes. Taken by itself, the smell is very nice. Considering that the beer is an IPA, it's not very promising in terms of what kind of hop profile you might expect.

Okay, it's hoppier than the nose led me to expect, but not by much. Not a lot of complexity in the hop profile, just some light bitterness with a bit of sugar thrown in somewhere. Maybe a little flower, maybe a little orange citrus, but really you have to search hard to find anything interesting.

Not really sure about the mouthfeel, there's noticeable fizz in the mouth but not a lot of body and no head retention. Not terrible but not very impressive either.

Overall, the beer is plenty drinkable but hardly oustanding. Not very hoppy, not very citrusy, but fortunately not very malty either. I'm going to finish the glass but I'm not going to buy it again anytime soon. Decent but boring.

5.8/10

07-07-2011 18:25:27 | More by AlexFields
syrupjoe

2.93/5  rDev -23.5%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear deep gold color with no particulates and an almost white head.

Pepper and vegetal notes on the nose. With a sharp, green, dankness to it. Wondering if there's anything but hops in here!

Sweet, metallic taste on the uptake. Hops not as forward as in nose. Somewhat caramel tasting malt profile... this isn't nearly as hoppy of a taste as I expected.

Moderate carbonation with a crisp but somewhat sweet mouthfeel.

Overall an okay IPA but really disappointed in the lack of hops after the explosive nose on this one. Probably won't seek out.

12-02-2011 23:44:48 | More by syrupjoe
PeterIngemi

2.98/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle I to a dfh snifter.... No bottle on date, but it says drink by the third week of January so I am assuming it must be closer to fresh then old. Although I have no idea how long of a code terrapin puts in these things.

A: pours a nice hazy orange amber with about half a finger if white head... Head dissapates quickly, leavs some lacing.

S: uh oh, the nose is very malty, there are some citrusy notes, but I'm not getting much hops here, I'm getting more caramel and bready malt aromas...

T: sadly not much different then the aroma, there is some citrus and light bitterness, but I am getting mainly bready and caramel malt flavors.

M: doesn't seem bad, medium body, with low medium carbonation, and what seems like it was meant to be a dry bitter finish.

O: I'm dissapointed, after all the good things I heard about terrapin, not that this is supposed to be their greatest release, but still. I feel as though this beer is past it's prime... And gas deffinatly lost mostly all it's hops.... Which leads me to two things.
1) terrapin puts much too long of a enjoy by code on their beer, with this supposedly having a good three months left of shelf life,
2) if this is a reasonable representation of the beers intended form then terrapin should deffinatly reformulate this one...
Either way it's too bad and I am dissapointed.

11-11-2012 00:31:33 | More by PeterIngemi
TurdFurgison

I had this on tap at Taco Mac Metropolis. The beer is clear and copper colored with an off-white wet-looking thin head (less than 1/2 finger). The beer smells hoppy, more in a bitter way than in a citrus or floral way. Same with the taste, bitter and a little spicy, not really all that pleasant an after-taste. Overall, this feels like a generic brewpub version an IPA, not bad but nothing special. When will I stop expecting more from Terrapin?

11-13-2009 20:40:59 | More by TurdFurgison
rpjonesga

Georgia

When I found out that Terrapin was adding an IPA to it's portfolio, I was very excited. As a resident of Atlanta, I always look forward to supporting local breweries. However, I feel that Terrapin missed the mark with this one.

High Points:

Smell - The smell out of the bottle is quite hoppy which raises your expectations on the taste of the beer. There is lots of citrus in the nose from the five hops. Nice!

Appearance - The beer is crystal clear with a nice foamy head. Not a problem here.

Not so High Points:

Taste - The taste of this beer just doesn't measure up to the nice hop aroma and my expectations. The malt sweetness is a bit lacking and the hop flavor isn't quite enough for me either.

It seems to me that this beer cannot decide what it wants to be. It isn't a hop bomb like a Stone beer and it doesn't have a strong enough hop/sweet malt mix to be a well balanced IPA (think Fort Collins Rocky Mountain IPA or Sweetwater IPA). I think that Terrapin should have kicked up the hops and the malt in this one. I will probably buy it again but I can think of 20 other IPA's that are superior.

12-20-2009 14:24:15 | More by rpjonesga
shrek806

poured into a tulip glass, a nice orange hue on the light side with a finger of slowly dissolving head leaving minor lacing

Smells of maybe just a hint of citrus-not a lot of nose to this one at all

Tastes bitter with a faint hint of citrus and pine and an alcohol finish

Mouthful- bubbly with an alcohol sting

Drinkability- not a lot to this one. maybe

3.5/2.5/3.5/3.5/3.0

my guess= an APA

02-25-2011 23:35:52 | More by shrek806
ncvbc

3.03/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours a golden copper with medium frothy white head. Slow carbonation rising to the top with spots of lacing down the glass. Good smell of strong and piney resinous hops and a solid caramel malt backbone. Taste features both strong hops and malt but with a lack of good balance. There seems no method to the madness here. They are muddled together with neither shining or proving where they stand as a part of the beer itself. Hops win with an ever present bitterness but they are combined with an incessant sweetness that persists relentlessly at times. Finishes bitter and drying, though with a slight lack of carbonation, it seems a tad watery and nearly syrupy due to the competition with the malts all the same. Doesn't tickle my tongue or urge me to take the next sip. I'm normally a fan of almost anything Terrapin puts out there...this one is a bit of a miss.

03-12-2010 06:40:24 | More by ncvbc
Guilly

3.05/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

A - No head. Copper but less amber than Great Divide Rumble. Regular IPA colour, dark golden.

S - Pine and citrus notes, smells like a prototypical ipa. Not as Nutty as the Rumble.

T - Smooth but less kick and not as bitter as regular IPA. Taste like a red ale (Ricard's Red). Taste like Dales Pale Ale.

B - Medium Body. Smooth.

O - Smooth IPA but not as much as a regular hoppy IPA. Would be refreshing on a hot day.

3.0

08-01-2012 02:36:36 | More by Guilly
warnerry

3.05/5  rDev -20.4%

Notes from 7/2012

Best by second week of December (assuming 2012?)

A - Pours clear amber with one finger of off-white head. Head has decent retention and leaves good lacing.

S - Aroma is pretty subtle, but there is some citrus, mostly orange.

T - Surprisingly malty for what seems to be a fresh bottle. Hops are quite subtle, though there is a good hop bite initially, it fades quickly, yielding to a tea-like flavor. Not really digging this, but it is ok.

M - Medium mouthfeel and slightly bitter. Not very memorable.

O - It certainly doesn't seem like a year-old bottle, so I have to assume this is a relatively fresh bottle that just doesn't live up to it's name.

08-16-2013 01:56:35 | More by warnerry
klikger

Wisconsin

3.08/5  rDev -19.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A - Medium dark amber; no head or lacing to speak of

S - Not too much smell for me...a little orange and some malt

T - Wheat bread, green grapes, and a decent amount of heat for a 7% brew. Very grainy & malty, but not sweet. The hops balance the malts to a certain extent, but, sorry to say, they don't come within miles of living up to the name of the beer. This needs to be far more bitter if you're going to call it that. Seriously.

M - Medium thickness and slightly chewy for an IPA. If I were fonder of what I was chewing, this could be a good thing.

D - It wouldn't be difficult to drink two or three due to any specific taste component -- the taste in general keeps me from wanting another.

Not that this was particular hyped up for me, but I'm disappointed. Terrapin makes some good beer, but this isn't my favorite.

05-27-2010 23:09:44 | More by klikger
Durge

Connecticut

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

Found at World of Beers in Altamonte Springs, FL this IPA has a yellow amber color, clear and fairly quiet, with a very solid white head that sticks and leaves a hearty skin behind. The aroma has very light citrus, lemon wheat, not much else. Okay. The flavor follows with a bit stronger citrus hop and a bright malt biscuit backbone. I taste what seems like alcohol, which at 7.2 percent, it probably is. This edge seems to mask the hop qualities in my opinion and steels the IPA value I was looking for. Really makes it ordinary to me. This is medium-light bodied with a busy, small bubble carbonation that delivers a crisp feel. It ultimately turns entirely harsh and grassy to me and is more regrettable than memorable, but it’s not awful. Disappointing though. I don't think I had any problems with it in a bottle, but this one on tap has some issues.

05-19-2012 03:42:29 | More by Durge
dlcoblen

South Carolina

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle, well within the suggested serving date.

A: Orange with a golden tone and red hue. Not much of a head, if there was it settled rather quickly, but the lacing on the glass was there.

S: Honestly I cant say much for the smell. For being an American IPA I expected more aroma. Maybe it was my dinner that night. The aroma I got mostly was pine, and raisins.

T: The hop presence was there but I thought this rather one dimensional. I like a bitter front with a strong balancing malt backbone finish. The hopsecutioner just didnt have that for me.

M: I'd say not quite medium bodied but rather moderate, I did like the creaminess associated with this IPA.

O: Maybe I thought the label was misleading a bit.. Hopesecutioner to me means hops galore, I kept taking sips to find what I was looking for and I never found it. My highest rating on this was appearance, I'd much rather have a higher rating on taste and smell. With that said its not a bad beer just not what I thought it was going to be.

01-23-2014 12:12:33 | More by dlcoblen
FeDUBBELFIST

3.13/5  rDev -18.3%

Bottle to pint glass. Best if enjoyed by the 2nd week of the 7th month as indicated by the notches on the label. Lucky for me, I can filter through that added complexity. Here's hoping it was brewed this year...

A: The head is large, 3 fingers high, rocky/frothy, off-white and long lasting. The body is clear with a medium rich color of amber mixed with honey brown. Lacing is just a notch above good.

S & T: The aromas and flavors work in tandem, with face-value presentation. By that I mean, what you get on the nose, you get on the palate and vice versa. The hops are heavy and boast a gamut of typical hop flavors and aromas: Pine, grapefruit, orange and resin. Light malts of hay, toasted, and a side of earthy yeast. Long lasting flavor duration. There is a light clean alcohol flavor lounging around.

M: Medium light body with an average prickly carbonation. Finishes bitter.

D: Well, I enjoyed the brew. I certainly wasn't going to spit it out. But as with other Terrapin beers I've had, I'm not entirely impressed with this one either. The Hopsecutioner needs to do something to separate itself from the plethora of mundane American IPAs out there. Somehow Terrapin needs to do "average" a bit better.

04-21-2010 14:27:02 | More by FeDUBBELFIST
Ellis_the_Executive

Kentucky

3.13/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured from a bottle into a 6oz tasting glass.

A: Pours a hazy amber-orange color. Head is off-white and retentive, yet thin.

S: I honestly didn't get much aroma off of this beer. The nose is muted and faint. Very slight hints of sweet caramel malt and grapefruit/citrus resins.

T: Slight citrus hint, faint pine notes, mild malt body, quite sweet on the finish. The alcohol is very well hidden, this beer drinks very well for 7.3%

M: mild bodied, leaves a lingering pine/citrus note on the finish.

O: I honestly didn't care for this beer. I found it a very "average" IPA at best. I had always wanted to try this beer and had a friend stop in Georgia to grab it for me. The only saving grace is that it is VERY drinkable for it's ABV.

04-28-2013 01:05:41 | More by Ellis_the_Executive
Huffs

3.14/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a sam adams glass and a light, bubbly, off white head developed with little lacing and mild retention. Appearance was a hazy with a light amber to orange color. Had a nice citrus and flower aroma with nice hoppy notes. Had a very mild taste with cutrus and flower notes and a bitter hop finish, some slight caramel notes. Watery mouthfeel and a dry aftertaste.

10-20-2013 21:14:38 | More by Huffs
crossovert

3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours an orange amber with a nice white head that leaves some good lacing.

Smell is herbally, with some citrus, nothing too exciting for an IPA.

Taste is bitter and metallic, with some citrusy hops but no depth, mouthfeel is watery, it just doesn't seem that that refined of a brew.

Overall this tastes like something you would get at one of those generic chain brew pubs, they need to work on it.

12-15-2009 00:55:21 | More by crossovert
AgentMunky

3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: The label is great -- a hooded terrapin with a chopping axe and an amusing blurb. Hazy copper-brown with light bubbles. It pours viscously, like oil. No head; sparse lacing.

S: An understated, mild scent of hop oil.

T: Frankly disappointing. Lots and lots of hops don't have much punch. Furthermore, the taste is muddled with a strong citrus flavour. The hoppy oiliness is welcome, but the tartness not so much. The aftertaste is smooth and surprisingly good, with a pleasant (not overstated) hoppiness.

M: Carbonation complements the flavour of the beer. Oiliness sweeps the tongue without clinging to it.

D: Watery-smooth and good enough. As hoppy beers go, you can do better. As beers go, you can do much worse.]

07-23-2010 01:30:31 | More by AgentMunky
aepb1

3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

A- Darker golden yellow/orange with a small white head

S- Piney and citrus hops, no suprise

T- Clean, not a lot of hop bite ... mild

M- Light body on the higher end of carbonation

D- Decent IPA with nothing offensive so it's quite easy to drink and revisit

10-21-2010 16:05:17 | More by aepb1
mjsheehan08

3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a very hazy deep orange with a two fingered cream head that slides down the glass slowly leaving behind some mild lacing.

Aroma has hop oil presence, and some extra sweet malt. Really heavy presence of apple juice.

Tastes like a slightly bitter caramel apple. Spicy. Not really a lot of complexity here and this ranks low on my list of IPAs.

Mouthfeel is pretty light but the beer isn't that easy to drink. Really sweet malt without a lot of balance from the hops presence. Overall, I think a pretty weak IPA and one that I would not pursue again.

02-17-2011 03:43:51 | More by mjsheehan08
corby112

3.18/5  rDev -17%

Pours a dark peach/golden amber color with golden orange hues when held to a light source and a thin half finger off white head that quickly fades leaving minimal lacing.

Crisp hop aroma with hints if pine and subtle citrus and tropical fruit balanced by a strong caramel and biscuit malt presence.

Slightly chewy medium body that is pretty hop forward with a decent amour of piny dry bitterness. The citrus and tropical notes from the aroma are very faint wint hints of pineapple, orange peel and mango. The hoppiness is cut mid palate by a very prominent malt backbone with lots of caramel and biscuit flavor. The malt character is a bit too strong for my liking but it's still decent and pretty quaffable.

02-19-2010 00:15:49 | More by corby112
pvsob

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

12 oz. bottle, best by fourth week of December

Pours a light brown color with a half inch head that fades fast and leaves some lacing.

Aromas consist of citrus, pine, brown sugar, tropical fruit, and malt.

The tasting experience is not as exciting as the aroma would lead you to believe. Flat malt flavors that give way to a standard level of bitterness in the middle/finish. Watery feel and very little carbonation add to the lackluster drinking experience.

In a craft market that is choked with IPAs, I don't see myself reaching for this one ever again. There's better ones out there. Cheers.

04-28-2010 01:55:36 | More by pvsob