Terrapin Hopsecutioner - Terrapin Beer Company

Georgia, United States

Beer added by: Anthony1 on 11-03-2009

Reviews: 730 | Hads: 3,044
2.72/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a 12oz Pint Glass.

A- Poured a deep orangy copper color. I could not see through this beer. Had about a finger width head that died down quickly. Barley any lacing left as drank.
S- All im getting are sweet malts, no hop presence in the nose.I could tell this is an east coast style IPA, no citra or floral hop presence poking for me.
T- Very subtle hop presence for an IPA. Sweet malts pretty much take over this beer with a slightly hoppy finish. What killed this beer for me is about a second after the swallow a faint taste of metal lingered on the palate. I didn't like this whats so ever.
M- Medium carbonation and slightly creamy almost.

O- As a fan of West Coast floraly/Citrus IPA's, this IPA simply was not for me. For a name like "Hopsecutioner" I expected the hop presence to be a lot stronger but the malt flavor just over powered it for me. As a fan of super hoppy beers, I was somewhat deceived by the name. But for this east coast brew it wasn't BAD. I enjoyed this beer until that metal like taste hit me at the end. An OK beer. However, i will not be buying this again.

2.8/5  rDev -26.5%

12oz bottle served in tulip pint.

A: Pours a rather clear orange-ish copper. A relatively small, but fluffy, ivory head comes from a semi-vigorous pour. Head displays decent retention. Nice lacing.

S: Sweetish almost bready smell...cornbread maybe? Nearly a complete lack of hop character in the scent. wtf?

T: Piney up front followed by just a bit of mango. Malty carmel sweetness. Peppery spice from the hops. Finishes a bit too sweet for an IPA...reminds me a little of orange kool-aid.

M: Soft and coating, but a little thin. Too watery.

D: Not a very interesting beer, but it is fairly easy to drink. Also, it drinks at a little lower than 7.2% abv.

I remember enjoying this beer more when I've had it on tap in the past, but I found this go 'round to be completely underwhelming. Maybe the bottled version is inferior, or maybe it's just not as good as I recall. Either way, its not a bad beer, but there are so many good IPA's out there that this one doesn't do anything to separate itself from the pack.

2.8/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. I will say, this is some pretty cool artwork on the label.

A: Pours a deep copper, almost apple juice color. The pour drops a finger of off white head that fades pretty quickly and dosen't leave much lace.

A: Hoppy, citrus and pine. Maybe some sugar cane or honey. A hefty amount of caramel malt balances the nose.

T: Falls a little short for me here. The malt overtakes the hops in the brew. An IPA should be about the hops, but not in this case. Finishes sugary and dry.

M: Medium to heavy body. Small carbonation makes for a syrupy mouthfeel.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is on the lower side here, I just couldn't get past the overuse of caramel malt. Overall, not very impressed with this one. I wish they would have dialed back the malt and let the hops take center stage, but oh well. Not one I'll be trying again anytime soon. Skal.

2.86/5  rDev -24.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a leffe chalice.

Pours a dark amber color with little head that dissipated very quickly. Decent lacing on the glass.

I get mostly a piney aroma on the nose, along with something I can't quite make out. Maybe a little earthy?

Taste is pleasant. Some piney hop flavors and some hop bitterness, but really not that much. Mouthfeel is pretty thin.

Overall a decent IPA, but disappointing for a beer with the name Hopsecutioner. Would drink it again if offered, but not something I'm going to seek out.

2.89/5  rDev -24.1%

This was my first offering from Terrapin. 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. This is a great looking beer! It has a hazy burnt orange w/ a nice white fluffy head and sticky lacing. I'm picking up orange, tangerines, and a good amount of pine. The aromas are slightly faint. Although the flavors are nice, they're very subtle, which really hurts. The taste doesn't linger on the tongue, it more-less dissapears. Somewhat bland for the style, not bold at all. Now the mouthfeel on this beer is great! It's very smooth and creamy w/ just the right amount of carbonation. Drinkability isn't bad, but loses a point for being so straight forward, but the alcohol is masked, which is a plus.

Well, I suppose I expected a little more. Now granted this wasn't the freshest batch, I still don't think I'd be super impressed if it was fresh. I'm still looking forward to trying more from Terrapin. It's just that in the world of IPAs, there are too many better offerings.

2.92/5  rDev -23.4%

From 12oz bottle labeled enjoy by 4/15 into belled pint glass.
L- darker amber with reasonable head
S- Malty for all the hop hype on the label
T-balance tips towards malty
F-slightly low on carbonation, but not far off

2.93/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured into a nonic pint glass, light orangey/copper amber color with about a half inch of head. Lacing is minimal.

Smell is mainly grassy and some piney hops. There isn't much hop bitterness.

The flavor of this beer was mediocre at best. The malt backbone was the dominant flavor in this beer, though there were some notes of pine and grassy hops. The bartender agreed with me that this was a bit toned down and not nearly worthy of the name.

Even so, it was pretty decently textured and carbonated. Aside from the disappointing flavor, this beer was pretty standard for an IPA. The texture was spot on, but I couldn't see myself drinking this again.

2.95/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

The best by date is December, and it's July...not sure how Terrapin does their freshness on hoppy beers but I hope it isn't more than six months out and so I'm assuming this one is pretty fresh.

Very pure golden amber color, nice and clear but pretty typical for an IPA. The head is thin and fades pretty quickly.

The nose is pretty sweet, not a lot of hops but some enticing candy aromas and some floral and weak citrus notes. Taken by itself, the smell is very nice. Considering that the beer is an IPA, it's not very promising in terms of what kind of hop profile you might expect.

Okay, it's hoppier than the nose led me to expect, but not by much. Not a lot of complexity in the hop profile, just some light bitterness with a bit of sugar thrown in somewhere. Maybe a little flower, maybe a little orange citrus, but really you have to search hard to find anything interesting.

Not really sure about the mouthfeel, there's noticeable fizz in the mouth but not a lot of body and no head retention. Not terrible but not very impressive either.

Overall, the beer is plenty drinkable but hardly oustanding. Not very hoppy, not very citrusy, but fortunately not very malty either. I'm going to finish the glass but I'm not going to buy it again anytime soon. Decent but boring.

2.96/5  rDev -22.3%

poured into a tulip glass, a nice orange hue on the light side with a finger of slowly dissolving head leaving minor lacing

Smells of maybe just a hint of citrus-not a lot of nose to this one at all

Tastes bitter with a faint hint of citrus and pine and an alcohol finish

Mouthful- bubbly with an alcohol sting

Drinkability- not a lot to this one. maybe

my guess= an APA

2.96/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I had this after a Lagunitas IPA and on first couple of sips, was disappointed. Its very, very smooth and to me, has no aroma. On taste, it has a nice IPA bite and a good finish. It sort of grows on you and I think if you started drinking this without another, it would be better.

2.98/5  rDev -21.8%

Appearance – This is a beautiful golden orange in color with a head that came up nicely but didn’t show much stamina.

Smell – The nose here is light but evenly balanced. Hops are rindy orange and the malt a bit grainy.

Taste – The flavor is balanced if uninspiring. The grainy malt takes over here and although it’s not bad it just doesn’t suit the style. The hops abandoned ship.

Mouthfeel – This was a huge disappointment. The ale if very thin and dull.

Drinkability – I made it through this one but won’t buy again.

Comment – I find that whenever I rate a beer whereby all five scores are different that means it is all over the place and that is definitely the case with this one.

2.98/5  rDev -21.8%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear deep gold color with no particulates and an almost white head.

Pepper and vegetal notes on the nose. With a sharp, green, dankness to it. Wondering if there's anything but hops in here!

Sweet, metallic taste on the uptake. Hops not as forward as in nose. Somewhat caramel tasting malt profile... this isn't nearly as hoppy of a taste as I expected.

Moderate carbonation with a crisp but somewhat sweet mouthfeel.

Overall an okay IPA but really disappointed in the lack of hops after the explosive nose on this one. Probably won't seek out.

2.98/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle I to a dfh snifter.... No bottle on date, but it says drink by the third week of January so I am assuming it must be closer to fresh then old. Although I have no idea how long of a code terrapin puts in these things.

A: pours a nice hazy orange amber with about half a finger if white head... Head dissapates quickly, leavs some lacing.

S: uh oh, the nose is very malty, there are some citrusy notes, but I'm not getting much hops here, I'm getting more caramel and bready malt aromas...

T: sadly not much different then the aroma, there is some citrus and light bitterness, but I am getting mainly bready and caramel malt flavors.

M: doesn't seem bad, medium body, with low medium carbonation, and what seems like it was meant to be a dry bitter finish.

O: I'm dissapointed, after all the good things I heard about terrapin, not that this is supposed to be their greatest release, but still. I feel as though this beer is past it's prime... And gas deffinatly lost mostly all it's hops.... Which leads me to two things.
1) terrapin puts much too long of a enjoy by code on their beer, with this supposedly having a good three months left of shelf life,
2) if this is a reasonable representation of the beers intended form then terrapin should deffinatly reformulate this one...
Either way it's too bad and I am dissapointed.

I had this on tap at Taco Mac Metropolis. The beer is clear and copper colored with an off-white wet-looking thin head (less than 1/2 finger). The beer smells hoppy, more in a bitter way than in a citrus or floral way. Same with the taste, bitter and a little spicy, not really all that pleasant an after-taste. Overall, this feels like a generic brewpub version an IPA, not bad but nothing special. When will I stop expecting more from Terrapin?

3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours a golden copper with medium frothy white head. Slow carbonation rising to the top with spots of lacing down the glass. Good smell of strong and piney resinous hops and a solid caramel malt backbone. Taste features both strong hops and malt but with a lack of good balance. There seems no method to the madness here. They are muddled together with neither shining or proving where they stand as a part of the beer itself. Hops win with an ever present bitterness but they are combined with an incessant sweetness that persists relentlessly at times. Finishes bitter and drying, though with a slight lack of carbonation, it seems a tad watery and nearly syrupy due to the competition with the malts all the same. Doesn't tickle my tongue or urge me to take the next sip. I'm normally a fan of almost anything Terrapin puts out there...this one is a bit of a miss.

3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

So close yet so far!

This IPA has the potential to be another Alpha King, but unfortunately misses the mark in a big way.

A- Beautiful dank hazy, orange. 1 finger tight dense, head- good retention.

S- Slight floral hops with grapefruit, very faint tropical aromas.

T- Not getting much. Sam Adams meets Sierra Nevada?

O- Once again, I really hope this was an off bottle, though it says I have 3 more months to enjoy. Nothing enjoyable or memorable about this one. 3 sips and down the drain.

3.06/5  rDev -19.7%

Notes from 7/2012

Best by second week of December (assuming 2012?)

A - Pours clear amber with one finger of off-white head. Head has decent retention and leaves good lacing.

S - Aroma is pretty subtle, but there is some citrus, mostly orange.

T - Surprisingly malty for what seems to be a fresh bottle. Hops are quite subtle, though there is a good hop bite initially, it fades quickly, yielding to a tea-like flavor. Not really digging this, but it is ok.

M - Medium mouthfeel and slightly bitter. Not very memorable.

O - It certainly doesn't seem like a year-old bottle, so I have to assume this is a relatively fresh bottle that just doesn't live up to it's name.

3.06/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

A - No head. Copper but less amber than Great Divide Rumble. Regular IPA colour, dark golden.

S - Pine and citrus notes, smells like a prototypical ipa. Not as Nutty as the Rumble.

T - Smooth but less kick and not as bitter as regular IPA. Taste like a red ale (Ricard's Red). Taste like Dales Pale Ale.

B - Medium Body. Smooth.

O - Smooth IPA but not as much as a regular hoppy IPA. Would be refreshing on a hot day.

3.07/5  rDev -19.4%

When I found out that Terrapin was adding an IPA to it's portfolio, I was very excited. As a resident of Atlanta, I always look forward to supporting local breweries. However, I feel that Terrapin missed the mark with this one.

High Points:

Smell - The smell out of the bottle is quite hoppy which raises your expectations on the taste of the beer. There is lots of citrus in the nose from the five hops. Nice!

Appearance - The beer is crystal clear with a nice foamy head. Not a problem here.

Not so High Points:

Taste - The taste of this beer just doesn't measure up to the nice hop aroma and my expectations. The malt sweetness is a bit lacking and the hop flavor isn't quite enough for me either.

It seems to me that this beer cannot decide what it wants to be. It isn't a hop bomb like a Stone beer and it doesn't have a strong enough hop/sweet malt mix to be a well balanced IPA (think Fort Collins Rocky Mountain IPA or Sweetwater IPA). I think that Terrapin should have kicked up the hops and the malt in this one. I will probably buy it again but I can think of 20 other IPA's that are superior.

3.08/5  rDev -19.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A - Medium dark amber; no head or lacing to speak of

S - Not too much smell for me...a little orange and some malt

T - Wheat bread, green grapes, and a decent amount of heat for a 7% brew. Very grainy & malty, but not sweet. The hops balance the malts to a certain extent, but, sorry to say, they don't come within miles of living up to the name of the beer. This needs to be far more bitter if you're going to call it that. Seriously.

M - Medium thickness and slightly chewy for an IPA. If I were fonder of what I was chewing, this could be a good thing.

D - It wouldn't be difficult to drink two or three due to any specific taste component -- the taste in general keeps me from wanting another.

Not that this was particular hyped up for me, but I'm disappointed. Terrapin makes some good beer, but this isn't my favorite.

3.08/5  rDev -19.2%

On tap at Stoney's on L in DC. Maybe it was an old line, but I didn't care for this one. Look was a nice deep Amber, but no hops in the nose, and just a general bitter hops. No juicy, no citrus, no brightness. Malts were muddled, an the finish was odd. Just not for me

3.1/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle, well within the suggested serving date.

A: Orange with a golden tone and red hue. Not much of a head, if there was it settled rather quickly, but the lacing on the glass was there.

S: Honestly I cant say much for the smell. For being an American IPA I expected more aroma. Maybe it was my dinner that night. The aroma I got mostly was pine, and raisins.

T: The hop presence was there but I thought this rather one dimensional. I like a bitter front with a strong balancing malt backbone finish. The hopsecutioner just didnt have that for me.

M: I'd say not quite medium bodied but rather moderate, I did like the creaminess associated with this IPA.

O: Maybe I thought the label was misleading a bit.. Hopesecutioner to me means hops galore, I kept taking sips to find what I was looking for and I never found it. My highest rating on this was appearance, I'd much rather have a higher rating on taste and smell. With that said its not a bad beer just not what I thought it was going to be.

3.11/5  rDev -18.4%

Found at World of Beers in Altamonte Springs, FL this IPA has a yellow amber color, clear and fairly quiet, with a very solid white head that sticks and leaves a hearty skin behind. The aroma has very light citrus, lemon wheat, not much else. Okay. The flavor follows with a bit stronger citrus hop and a bright malt biscuit backbone. I taste what seems like alcohol, which at 7.2 percent, it probably is. This edge seems to mask the hop qualities in my opinion and steels the IPA value I was looking for. Really makes it ordinary to me. This is medium-light bodied with a busy, small bubble carbonation that delivers a crisp feel. It ultimately turns entirely harsh and grassy to me and is more regrettable than memorable, but it’s not awful. Disappointing though. I don't think I had any problems with it in a bottle, but this one on tap has some issues.

3.12/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance-Orange to light copper with a little cloudiness

Smell-faint apple citrus…some say resinous, but I didn't pick that up at first, once the beer stabilized at 45-50 degrees I got a little of the resin, but nothing overwhelming

taste-mellow to moderate hoppiness, I was having Indian food and thought this would pair well, which I think it did.

Mouthfeel- smooth, but quickly jumps then finishes with a mellow bitterness. Not overwhelming, but definitely IPA. Leaves a little sharpness as a pleasant aftertaste.

Overall- I think it is a good local IPA, but there are undoubtedly others that drive harder to the finish. You can have a couple of these alone or with food. I think it is a bit over marketed in the ATL area, but that also means you will probably be able to grab one on tap.

I try to be average on most IPAs because they are not my go to beer. I also don't have a really discriminating hop palate, so I try to stay even on most of these.

3.14/5  rDev -17.6%

A- Darker golden yellow/orange with a small white head

S- Piney and citrus hops, no suprise

T- Clean, not a lot of hop bite ... mild

M- Light body on the higher end of carbonation

D- Decent IPA with nothing offensive so it's quite easy to drink and revisit

Terrapin Hopsecutioner from Terrapin Beer Company