Terrapin Hopsecutioner - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin HopsecutionerTerrapin Hopsecutioner

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

(Beer added by: Anthony1 on 11-03-2009)

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

I'm from Eugene Oregon. Not so much snobbish as particular. May be the same thing. Terrapins seems to be a fine brewer, but from my experience, to call something "Hopsecutioner" would mean something quite hoppy. Hoppy this is not. I've had black hole inducing puckers and fifty variations more hoppy than this (Hop Valley Alpha Centuri Binary, Stone Crime, Russian River Pliny The Elder, Bonyard Hop Venom etc. etc.). I give it a low rating for the poor naming. It matters ;)

2.55/5  rDev -33.4%

A: hazy copper color. Then little amount of head dissipated quickly.

S: A little orange, grass, floral notes.

T: Bitter all the way through. I feel the malt overpowers the hops. I get some orange peel, but I am not really impressed with the overall balance of the beer.

M: Average. Refreshing. Medium Body. Decent Carbonation.

D: an average beer with tons of hops bitterness, but none of the floral citrus notes. Not well balanced. I would not buy this.f

2.55/5  rDev -33.4%

umm. Wow. Not quite sure how to describe this one. It's like a watered down versuon of the Dogfish 60. Not even the 90, but the 60 . It's a fairly smooth for a 7.3% IPA, but not the best! If you're thinking of drinking this beer, go with a Dogfish 60 instead. If you're looking for a real high gravity IPA, with lots of flavor...go with the Dogfish 90.

2.68/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a 12oz Pint Glass.

A- Poured a deep orangy copper color. I could not see through this beer. Had about a finger width head that died down quickly. Barley any lacing left as drank.
S- All im getting are sweet malts, no hop presence in the nose.I could tell this is an east coast style IPA, no citra or floral hop presence poking for me.
T- Very subtle hop presence for an IPA. Sweet malts pretty much take over this beer with a slightly hoppy finish. What killed this beer for me is about a second after the swallow a faint taste of metal lingered on the palate. I didn't like this whats so ever.
M- Medium carbonation and slightly creamy almost.

O- As a fan of West Coast floraly/Citrus IPA's, this IPA simply was not for me. For a name like "Hopsecutioner" I expected the hop presence to be a lot stronger but the malt flavor just over powered it for me. As a fan of super hoppy beers, I was somewhat deceived by the name. But for this east coast brew it wasn't BAD. I enjoyed this beer until that metal like taste hit me at the end. An OK beer. However, i will not be buying this again.

2.7/5  rDev -29.5%

This is a strange beer - it promises a blast of hops, but it delivers a musty, earthy taste that actually tends to emphasize the malt far more than is probably appropriate for an IPA. If anything, this beer reminds me of Fat Tire from New Belgium, which is a malty brown ale.

Pours a dirty amber with a slight head that falls away fairly quickly leaving little lacing. The aroma is earth and a bit sour. The hops are evident, but it is hard to determine what they are - along with the earthiness comes a sharply overripe flower smell. The flavor is musty and earthy, with a toasted malt bite and an overripe floral, citrusy hop taste. There is a sharp lemony bitterness at the end, though it falls away to a fairly sour finish. The mouthfeel is slick and a little prickly.

I am not so sure I am on board with this beer.

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. I will say, this is some pretty cool artwork on the label.

A: Pours a deep copper, almost apple juice color. The pour drops a finger of off white head that fades pretty quickly and dosen't leave much lace.

A: Hoppy, citrus and pine. Maybe some sugar cane or honey. A hefty amount of caramel malt balances the nose.

T: Falls a little short for me here. The malt overtakes the hops in the brew. An IPA should be about the hops, but not in this case. Finishes sugary and dry.

M: Medium to heavy body. Small carbonation makes for a syrupy mouthfeel.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is on the lower side here, I just couldn't get past the overuse of caramel malt. Overall, not very impressed with this one. I wish they would have dialed back the malt and let the hops take center stage, but oh well. Not one I'll be trying again anytime soon. Skal.

Terrapin Hopsecutioner from Terrapin Beer Company