Terrapin Hopsecutioner - Terrapin Beer Company

Georgia, United States

Beer added by: Anthony1 on 11-03-2009

Reviews: 707 | Hads: 2,948
4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

Had on-tap at mellow mushroom colonial, poured into a pint glass

A-Cloudy amber with low visibility, thick 1" off white head, sat for an incredibly long time, stout-esque amount of time, and formed excellent lacing.

S-Hops, fruits, sweet honey smell, hints of a yeasty bready notes or maybe that's my pizza.

T-Hops come out front, not too strong or bitter, just right, with an excellent citrus following and a slight smokey nutty flavoring and very little alcohol taste for its abv, this is an exceptional tasting beer.

M-A lot thicker than I thought it was going to be and I'm ok with that, full bodied feel, with medium carbonation, an incredibly smooth drink.

D-Well I went through 4 of these during trivia night so I'd say it's pretty drinkable, an exceptional beer, full of a couple surprises, that I'll definitely be having again. (845 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a wonderfully clear sunset orange with a two finger head that sticks around. Aroma is mostly floral hops, citrus, and caramel. Smells tasty. Taste is citrus, light pine, oranges, and caramel. Slightly bitter but the malt balances it out masterfully. One of the most balanced IPAs that have passed through these lips. Very easy drinking and one that would be perfect for someone new to the style. Not a particularly complex or original IPA, but a delicious one. Good representation of an East Coast IPA. (508 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I very nice IPA. At 7.4% ABV I was prepared for something that took me back to a high school party at a gravel pit, grave yard, barn, abandoned house, or all of the above. But I was pleasantly surprised. It was not overpowering, yet still bold. My first experience with the beer followed a Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin. Big mistake. Too much comparing and contrasting. I'm too much of a green horn to be doing that. The next time around, however, I started with the Terrapin and it was a totally different experience. I would gladly have another. Or two. Or twelve. (567 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

poured from a 12oz bottle into my New Belgium tulip glass...

appearance - a nice maple syrupy golden color, with good carbonation and bit of head. lots of nice lacing as i went on.

aroma - buttery, but subdued piney hops with a bit of citrus. smells a bit pilsner-esque.

taste - citrus & pine checked with a bit of sweet maltiness. hops bitter at finish. overall, a bit more tame than i expected in the hops department, but the flavors are very good & well balanced.

mouthfeel - full bodied, dances on the tongue for a spell.

drinkability - while it doesn't seem quite as enforcing as the name suggests, the 7+% creeps up on you. i could see my self enjoying a couple of these. bittering finish encourages you to take another sip as soon as you finish the first.

overall, while not quite as aggressive as i had expected, this is a very tasty concoction, and it'd be a great addition to Terrapin's year-round lineup. glad they bottled this in 6 packs instead of bombers. (975 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served in pint glass

Appearance: golden yellow hazy with a thin white head and average lacing.

Smell: piney and citrusy, there is definitely a hop presence in this brew.

Taste: piney, this brew is more on the hoppy side, but there is a nice malty backbone to balance it out.

Mouthfeel: average carbonation with moderate mouthfeel

Overall: this is an underrated brew. It's nice and hoppy. I would definitely buy this again. (429 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance- poured a honey yellow. A small head that disappeared quickly. But the color and carbonation are beautiful.

Smell- hops! Dear lord. There's pine, citrus, and even a bit of pineapple. Just a hint of malt.

Taste- a blend of citrus, and fruit. The strong point of this beer is the perfect bitter finish.

Mouthfeel- smooth with a crisp finish.

Drinkability- good finish. Having another now. (403 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%

A - Golden amber with a nice fluffy white head. Great residue to the glass

S - Woah hop galore. Citrus and more hops.

T - Very hop forward and doesn't hold back whatsoever. Despite my presumption of a citrus/grapefruit base I'm finding a little bit of pine. Kind of weird. Mostly great sticky hops though.

M - Sticky and goes down great. Goes well with pretzels. Medium carbonation.

O - Really enjoyed this one. It strays a fine line between an IPA and a DIPA. Glad I picked up a six but could only do one for each sitting. (527 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

(from notes)

First of all, I absolutely love the name of this beer. Pours a deep copper with a solid head. Features mostly pine flavors with a solid amount of citrus blended in. Very delicious bitterness that becomes more pronounced as the beer warms. The malt profile is consumed by the hops, but there is still a bit of breadiness that helps to bring out the hop flavors. Nothing envelope pushing, just a really solid, drinkable beer. (437 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a brilliantly clear red copper with minimal head retention

Aroma is full of citrus with hints of strawberries and a touch of rosemary. A great hop aroma that is well rounded

Flavor is good with sweet orange blossom honey, tangerine and a touch of grain on the finish. Its slightly sweet for style with a firm bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is lean, and somewhat thin. a touch of buttery slickness

Good beer, I like it. The aroma is somewhat unique which is cool (477 characters)

Thanks to urwithdave for this extra!

A: Honey-golden with 1/2-finger off-white head with some nice stickiness.

S: Wow, I can't believe this is just an IPA. A slap in the face of citrus and spicy hops aromas.

T: Major grapefruit tartness followed by spicy and piney hops. Not much malt.

M: Smooth and coating. Medium bodied.

D: This was delicious. I wasn't sure what to expect, but this was tremendous. (406 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +1%

Silly name. Good beer.

Deep bronze in color, clear and filtered. Fine head.

Welcoming, fruity nose. Not a whole lot of sharpness and no alcohol on the scent.

Great palate. Juicy, fruity (tangerines?) hops with just a bit of a piney bitterness to keep things in check. Not a monster of an IPA but real interesting. A joy to drink. (332 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a very hazy deep orange with a two fingered cream head that slides down the glass slowly leaving behind some mild lacing.

Aroma has hop oil presence, and some extra sweet malt. Really heavy presence of apple juice.

Tastes like a slightly bitter caramel apple. Spicy. Not really a lot of complexity here and this ranks low on my list of IPAs.

Mouthfeel is pretty light but the beer isn't that easy to drink. Really sweet malt without a lot of balance from the hops presence. Overall, I think a pretty weak IPA and one that I would not pursue again.  (565 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well now that I've reviewed one of the big local IPAs (and trashed it), here is another one.

Slightly hazy copper, some head and lacing, but dissipates quickly. There is, however, something intriguing about the small amount of foam on top of the beer and the little web it forms, though; it's making me lick my lips even though the head and lacing are nothing special.

Smell: Hmm, this is wound very tightly for some reason; practically have to dip my nose into it to get much of anything. What's there is a combination fruity (orange?) and grassy that I like.

OK I like this quite a bit. The beer is disappearing fast. Something ragingly drinkable about this one. They've done a great job of blending everything together into a whole that's greater than the sum of its parts. Hard to tell the individual elements, but that's a good thing. It's very much a West Coast style, but not aggressive. Great fruity-hoppy-malty composite. Very professional work from Terrapin! (972 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

IBU – 78

DATE – 11 JUN 2011

SERVING TYPE – 12 oz Bottle

GLASSWARE – Tumbler

APPEARANCE – Orange with a good flow of carbonation Poured with a nice thick head that settled down to 1/8 inch decent lacing

AROMA- I smell some sweet citrus as well as a nice not over powering hop

TASTE – Good hoppy beer, with notes of Citrus. Nothing over powering

MOUTHFEEL – Smooth and crisp with a good amount of carbonation

CONCLUSION – As it is a hoppy beer and I am not big on hops yet this is a sipper for me

-JH- (653 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -1.3%

I am not big on IPAs or very "hoppy" beers, but the hopsecutioner, with its crisp and fruity taste is extremely refreshing. Very nice drinkability. Has a slight alcohol finish to it but actually blends well with the hoppy aftertaste. Pretty good taste considering my preference in beers. (287 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Received this as an extra in a trade and was really impressed. This is a great IPA for those who don't want theirs too bitter as it has a touch of sweetness to it. A great IPA for a hot summers day (197 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Smell: Nice, but not as fragrant as I'd expected from a beer whose very name brags of hop potency.
Taste: Certainly very hop-forward, as one would expect from the name. Nice malt undertone, more than a backbone- but the hops carry the day- again, as one would expect given the name. The taste also belies the fairly high ABV.
Mouthfeel: pleasantly quaffable, although sessioning these would probably not be a good idea- unless you plan to spend the night. (455 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +10%

Poured into my SA perfect pint glass.

A: Pours a golden orange with a thin white head. Usually the perfect pint glass generates a healthy amount of head, but this one came out thin. At least the retention was decent.

S: I get a great balance of citrus (maybe orange or mango), hops, and some floral notes. It paints a picture of a sunny tropical setting, which makes it a perfect IPA for a warm summer night.

T: A great balance of earthy, bitter hops and colorful citrus. The finish is quite piney, reminded me of Dreadnaught, actually. Overall a traditional IPA if you ask me.

M: Creamier than I expected for an IPA. It is refreshing to have an IPA with a different mouthfeel.

D: Fantastic drinkability. I would definitely buy this year-round option if I had it available. (779 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a somewhat hazy copper. A one finger head of off white that dies down pretty quickly.

It smells pretty sweet from that big balt backbone. The hops are pretty citrusy on this one.

The taste is really surprisingly malty and the hops aren't nearly as citrusy as the nose. If I had to characterize them, I guess I'd say I get some lemon and orange characteristics. At 7.3%, this beer isn't hiding the alcohol as well as some other IPAs that I enjoy.

The mouthfeel is quite full. It's pretty creamy but is close to being too heavy, as it sticks around for a while making me smack my lips a bit to get rid of some of the alcohol.

For my first Terrapin, I'm not overly impressed. The beer has a good nose but it doesn't translate nearly as well to the taste as I was hoping. Makes me wonder if I need to go check the date on the bottle. (840 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

A: It pours a ruby gold with a one finger off white head.
S: Orange, some cinnamon and ciders notes
Taste: I get orange peel, bubble gummy malty sweetness, then a floral hoppiness, with a hint of booze at the end.
M: Slick, smooth and thin
O: smells ok, taste great (265 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Not sure when it was bottled, but the "enjoy by" date is 18 March 2015. Today is 26 October 2014.

Poured into an ordinary pint glass.

Pours a pretty orangish-gold, one finger head settles down to a half finger and stays there for the duration. Foam is nice and dense, nice lacing.

Not a ton of smell, but what is there is hoppy and invigorating.

Taste emphasizes the bitter, but is not overboard. Slightly piney. You know you're dealing with hops here. Edit- more experienced reviewers than I note a "peppery" quality to the taste. I think that is a perfect description for the dominant impression of this beer; peppery hoppiness.

Really nice mouthfeel, definitely not a thin beer; and the carbonation is up to the level of the hops.

Enjoyable beer. (762 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -0.5%

Tulip glass, citrus orangey, little head, a bit of lacing.

Smells like pale hops, floral bouquet, very citrusy, some fig, fresh and earthy.

Taste a solid amount of pale hops, pine, grass, citrus. The floral, perfumey notes come through. Pretty well balanced, maybe a bit more malt would do the trick.

Mouth feel is crisp, full, bitter.

The only way I can describe this beer is... pretty good. No more, no less. (414 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a dark straw yellow color. No head what-so-ever with a vigorous pour, strange.

Smell is bitter grapefruit, some orange, and sweet flowers.

Taste is similar to the smell. Bitter grapefruit. Sweet tasting compared to most IPA's. This is not a pine tasting IPA. Definitely get some pineapple and maybe some peach flavors. This thing is sweet.

Mouth feel is slightly syrupy due to the low carbonation level.

Overall, enjoyable to drink. Nice IPA, not spectacular or noteworthy. (484 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

Terrapin's Hopsecutioner, 12oz's into a 0.3L DollarTree Tulip (Yeah, we rich over here). Pours a delightful amber shade not typical for an IPA, with a 1/2" bone white head. Smells of cascades without a doubt, floral and aromatic. For some reason this beer has a different level of hoppiness in the taste every time I try it. Tastes somewhat sweet this time around, with pale, light crystal, and a slight touch of biscuit malts making themselves known. On the swallow the aromatic cascades really march through causing quite a pleasant aftertaste. Bitterness is medium, and makes me wonder if they're substituting hops for this brew on a regular basis. I suspect galena or columbus are providing the IBU's for this brew but hey, I could be wrong. Standard IPA here this time around, maybe I'll grab one of the old bottles in the Jail Cell and see whats goin on with it. Overall, a usual from Terrapin's stable of brews, not the best, and definatly not the worst. $8.99 per 6pk @ Kroger makes this an affordable beer to bring home to the battle axe. =P Cheers! (1,058 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -10%

I bought a 6 pack at Bruno's in Gulf Shores, Alabama.

Crystal clear golden pour with an inch of foamy head.

Big piney nose.

Piney hops and malt are very well balanced, grapefruit and orange in the middle with a clean, crisp finish.

I've had this beer in my fridge for 3 weeks, so it may have outlasted it's prime. I remember the pine being stronger up front with a better fruit middle.

It's a great IPA fresh, my review is probably a lilttle low, hopefully a find it fresh in my neck of the woods one day. (510 characters)

Terrapin Hopsecutioner from Terrapin Beer Company