Terrapin Capt'n Krunkles Black IPA - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Black Ale |  7.50% ABV

Side Project #10

(Beer added by: gford217 on 03-19-2010)

whitekiboko, Dec 27, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -31.4%

Shame they wasted such a great name on such a bad beer. Pours black but is an IPA, odd but we will go with it. Smell of off-roasted dark malts and some old hops (not enough hops); taste is similar, but the hops just don't mesh with the darker malts and add mostly bitterness. Pine element is more like floor cleaner than grapefruit

craytonic, May 28, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -26.1%

Aromas of dark chocolate and espresso with some mild earthy hoppy smells. Lots of roasted and cocoa maltiness.
The taste is a great deal of roasted and astringent malts. A fair amount of chocolate and powdery cocoa and earthy bitterness. Unfortunately not as balanced as I would like. I am not a hophead but I almost would crave some citrus hoppiness to challenge the roastiness. Maybe some dark fruitness or something, this is just too bitter.
The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a sharpness to it up front that then gets more slick and oily feeling as you swallow.
Overall this is a decent intepretation of a Black IPA, but if I tasted it blindly I would have called it a overly coffeed Baltic Porter. Needed more balanced somewhere, the Black IPA is not a beer which should be "imperialized" in my opinion.

claspada, Jan 28, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -25.3%

Reviewed from notes from a recent tasting.
Poured from a 22oz bomber into a Cigar City Snifter.

A: Black, but not completely opaque, somewhat of a "clear-black" with a brownish head.

S: Chocolaty, toffee, malty, roasted espresso.

T: Slightly hoppy at first, very malty and chocolaty, towards the finish with a chocolate sweetness left behind.

M: somewhat of a thin, mealy-feel with a medium body porter-esque, not light and bitter like an IPA.

O: Not a bad beer but not really as advertised. The group consensus was that it really tasted/seemed MUCH closer to a porter than a Black IPA. The malty and chocolaty notes really dominate and again, not a bad beer just not coming off as a Black IPA IMO.

Fluke828, Mar 18, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -24%

Picked this up from Grace's a few days ago and cracked it open while watching the Penn State spring football game...

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint...

Pours an almost black but more dark ruby with a very impressive head of 1 inch that never seems to go away... Rather nice looking brew, more porter than anything... Interesting...

Porter-like roasted malts up front with a nice hoppiness in the background. Piney and earthy hops that is. Not overpowering. Was looking for a little more hop presence even if it is a black IPA...

Dark roasted bitter malts that quickly meld into a piney hoppiness for a flash and then turn rather porter-like with a dark roasted finish that lingers with a little bitterness from the hops. The blend seems a bit off here when compared to say, Sublimely Self Righteous... Its all here, the dark roasted malts, chocolatey presence, the hoppiness and bitterness... But it just never comes together that well... Its like drinking a blend of porter and IPA and neither one wants to take the lead. As this warms, it really gets sorta difficult to finish... I'm actually a little surprised as I thought this sounded great when I first heard about it...

Thin watery mouthfeel here and an unbalanced taste make this one 2nd tier to me. Pretty disappointing... I usually dig the Terrapin stuff and especially their Side Projects.

Tilley4, Apr 24, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -22.7%

GLASS: Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degrees
Huge thanks to GeezLynn for hooking me up with this rarity! [jojomdma is classic!]

This one pours up a super dark brown color that could easily pass for black. It produces a two-finger head of light brown colored foam. The retention is really pretty impressive. The lacing is curtain-like and very sticky.

This smells like some chocolate covered hops. The hops are slightly more prominent, but it's really a lot more balanced than I'd expected it to be. Very good presence of citrus hops, along with some hints of pine and even some light floral notes. Good presence of chocolate, roasted, maltiness. Mild traces of dark coffee beans.
This nose really does a good job of making me think of IPA's and Stouts at the same time.

Uh-oh. It's losing me here. This is not newarly as smooth and delicious as the nose led me to believe. The chocolate malts are way over-roasted, almost to the point of tasting burnt. This gives a not-desired touch of bitterness, which combines with the hop bitterness and amplifies it. Not really in a good way, though.
This is harshly dark and bitter. I don't like it.

This has a medium-to-almost-full body and a mild-to-medium level of carbonation, which works very well together. It is very smooth and has a nice, small, amount of creaminess coming in.

I can't see myself drinking this one again, at all. I'm not sure why others would want to either, but that's why our palates are different. I'll leave this for someone else.

coldmeat23, Jun 08, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -22.2%

A - Black is certainly an adequate descriptor for this one. Impenetrable to light. Thick, foamy dark khaki colored head. Spiderwebs of lace left behind.

S - Hints of roasted malt barely slips through. Lots of pine and citrus hops in the nose, primarily pine. Definitely hop dominant in the nose.

T - Burnt grains and a light roastiness up front. Bitter hoppiness comes through quickly but does not meld well into the malt profile. Very piney tastes. Roasted malt profile becomes a touch stronger as the beer warms.

M/D - On the lighter side and a little thin in the mouth. The combo of roasted dark malt and big hops just doesnt meld well in this one. Black IPA's have been a little hit or miss in my book and this one is a definite miss.

ckeegan04, Apr 22, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -21.4%

Bottle into snifter. Nothing but the finest for this RARE beer.

Well, everything that can possibly said about this beer has been said in the epic thread, but I actually bought the bottle a week or so before that happened.

OK, I can think of few more things. There isn't much of a baseline with Black IPAs or Cascadians or whatever TF you want to call them.

I have to say in an a bitter old lady voice "Where's the hops?" This is a kind of hoppy porter. Even as it warmed, the hops really didn't come out. It's not a bad beer, decent roast aroma and flavor, but if you put IPA in the name, you best have SOME hop flavor, aroma and a bit of bitterness.

If I was scoring this as a porter, it would have fared better.

chcfan, Jun 17, 2010

ejimhof, Feb 03, 2013

jophish17, Nov 14, 2011

TimH, May 19, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -20.1%

650ml bottle courtesy of Ding!

It pours an extremely dark brown or a very light black..I can see some light shining through. A good 2 finger head of tannish foam and some lacing complete the appearance package. A very good looking beer.

The smell is hoppy with a bit of earthy malt peeking through. Some other aroma here that I can't identify.

The taste is quite bitter with the easy to identify hop characters of grapefruit grass and pine not being here, imho. The bitterness is more like a hot chocolate/cocoa flavour, not something I'd expect from anything labeled as an IPA/Black IPA/whatever.
There's some mild malt sweetness in the mix; I don't know if it helps or hurts in the long run but I'm not digging this much.

The mouthfeel borders on thick with medium to medium+ carbonation. Ok there.

Drinkability? My palate is getting a bit of bitterness overload and I haven't even finished the bottle yet. An "interesting" brew but I wouldn't want another.

Bitterbill, Jul 08, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -19.5%

Appearance: Pours a charred ember color with a massive tan head that just sits atop the liquid and refuses to budge; plenty of lacing sheets the sides of the pint glass

Smell: Pine sap aromatics with licorice and black bread underneath

Taste: Opens very roasty, with an almost charred flavor that is joined, at mid-palate, bu the piney bitterness; underneath, there is a dark fruit sweetness that adds a prune-like dimension though all the flavors wind up in a charred muck after the swallow; with a rough bitterness in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: I had high hopes for this one but the beer just lacks balance and the counterpoint of the malt and hops is jarring

brentk56, Apr 30, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -18.2%

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black (darker than many stouts) with a luxurious light brown head that is well-retained.

S: Rich chocolate malt and piney hop combination. Aroma is pretty clean, but not all that enticing for me.

T: Flavor starts off bitter pine and grapefruit and transitions into a dark malt flavor. Not really a chocolate malt, more of a bitter charred barley.

M: The feel is fairly thick, with light carbonation and fairly dry for the weight.

harpus, Dec 10, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -18.2%

$ 2.25/12 oz bottle at Beer Run, Charlottesville, VA
Bottle dated 11.14.14 at 40 degrees into standard pint glass
Aroma weak pine
Head small (2 cm), light brown, creamy, slowly diminishing
Lacing OK – partial rings and sheets of various size bubbles.
Body very dark red amber, clear
Flavor very weak – only slightly bitter with no distinctive hoppiness – no pine, no citrus, no tropical fruit – the only hint of hops is in the aroma. No malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate light to medium, watery, soft carbonation.

A not particularly good beer IMHO. This is supposedly only available in the box set so it appears that the seller broke the set down to sell the individual bottles. Usually the offerings from Terrapin range from good to very good – I have to assume that this sample was mishandled somewhere along the line. If I can find another, I’ll update this review.

Ozzylizard, Jul 30, 2014
3.15/5  rDev -16.9%

Note- Rating this as a Cascadian Dark Ale, not a regular IPA.

Bomber, poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours out near black with an initial 2 finger beige head that initially seems fizzy and unimpressive, but retreats into a denser layer, leaving some nice lacing along the way.

Pretty nice nose- piney hops and rich dark roasted malts in equal proportions, with some chocolate chip sweetness underneath. The sweetness is notably stronger in the mouth, followed by a raisin tanginess that threatens to overwhelm the roasted/hoppy combo that define the CDA style. Medium-thick bodied with fluffy carbonation and fairly dry and toasty finish, but with a lingering chocolate stickiness.

Overall impression: Decent take on the CDA style. Could use a few tweaks to lose some of the sweetness/tanginess.

PDXHops, Apr 27, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -16.9%

A: Pours with a gigantic cocoa colored head, with a lot of dense foam. The color is just jet black. Almost hard to even see light pass through. Overall appearance is very good.

S: Very powerful hop aroma, with a great deal of resin and pine. Some citrus comes through, but I think the roast overpowers that. Based on aroma, it is hard to tell what this will taste like.

T: The hops show up immediately, but then finishes with a kind of charcoal aftertaste. I am a big fan of IPA, and a big fan of the dunkel. I thought this would be great, but bottom line is that the two don't play together very well. In the taste, it seems as though the bitter hop flavor I love is canceled out by the roasted malt and bitterness of chocolate and coffee.

M: Definitely not as heavy as it looks. The high alcohol is almost invisible, and it will pack a whallop after drinking half the bomber bottle. It is smooth on the palate, but the sharp contrasting flavors don't finish well for me.

D: I didn't know what to expect with this, since it was the first black IPA I have tried. Bottom line, not sure if I would pick this up again. I'm sure this will go over well with a lot of people, but it just wasn't fit for my palate.

bdupree, Apr 17, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -16.9%

Shout out to SincereNC for sending this my way. Dark black color with a very unassuming aroma. In fact it was bland and boring. The taste was also not nearly hoppy enough for me. I got the slightest hint of a single hop flower and the dark malts just didn't wow me at all. Boring. I think the best "black IPA" I've had is still Stone's 11th Anniversary/Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

ArrogantB, May 16, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -16.9%

A bottle split with Paulie. While we were drinking this, my car was sideswiped in the parking lot outside his place. What a bummer. I mean this beer, with the car, well, shit happens.

#1 on my list of awesome names wasted on average beers. I've become a fan of the Black IPA. I love it when it's really a roasty IPA, and I love it when it's really a hoppy porter. But this was just in limbo, trying to straddle lines that make this too safe.

Pours a black opaque color. Tan head, nice lacing. Looks rather nice.

Smell is full of roast. Not too hoppy IMO. Some citrus makes an appearance. Pine as well. But very subdued. They should drink a Sublimely Self Righteous and see how a black IPA should smell. Commit one way or another, this is more roasty than hoppy but even that is more char than nice coffee or chocolate.

The roast on this beer is just not very appealing. After my first sip, I was hoping it would start to meld. It never did. I even tried to stir it hoping it would come together in an "A-hah" moment. Nope. This is the goober grape of beers. One half roasty porter with charred profiles. One half piney hoppy IPA. All in one crummy mix. Not my thing at all, and I'm a sucker for this style.

The mouthfeel was the best part of this. Just enough carb to keep this medium bodied beer from feeling too heavy. Alcohol was well hidden in the finish.

Drinkability was average. I'd love to see this reworked, because Terrapin has it in them to make an awesome Black IPA. This, however, is not it. I'd rather drive this crummy rental car for the rest of the year than drink another bottle of this.

jampics2, Jun 04, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -15.6%

Have had a couple of shots at this wale and am not really too excited about it. Aside from the fact that I'm not a big fan of this style (the hops and the malt do nothing to compliment another), this is just a pretty uninspiring beer from a brewery that I have otherwise had good experience with.

GeezLynn, May 19, 2010