Terrapin Rye Pale Ale - Terrapin Beer Company

good

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.30% ABV

Brewed with 10% rye, but an APA at heart.

(Beer added by: aracauna on 09-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Rye Pale Ale Alström Bros
whitekiboko

MerkurKing16

11-17-2011 16:24:40 | More by MerkurKing16
kdawg105

4.97/5  rDev +30.8%

I really love this brew. It pours to a nice dark golden color. It smells grain and hops. The hops being the main thing that rings out to me. Excellent tasting beer with a light bodied mouth feel which maks for superior drinkability. I would defintley advise trying the Rye Pale Ale.

08-12-2010 23:01:02 | More by kdawg105
Samminator

4.83/5  rDev +27.1%

A - A clear, golden-brown liquid with numerous tiny suspended particulates (yeast, perhaps?)

S - "C" Hops and earthy malt

T - I bought this sixer at a gas station in Dacula, Georgia. Once home, I found that the beer is 9 days past its "freshest if consumed by" date, and that it was contract brewed for Terrapin by a brewery in Frederick, Maryland. I've drunk this beer many times, but was peeved by this, anticipating a bad sample for my review. But... This beer's flavor was absolutely excellent. I haven't read any other BA reviews, but I see that its aggregate score is only a B-. I'm not sure why. There is a complexity to this Pale Ale that I think is singular. The flavor journey opens with clean malt sweetness. Post swallow, there is a pleasant bloom of peppery hop bitterness, followed by a honey-coating tongue feel (yes, I'm sure it is honey), concluded by a clean hop-bitterness linger. Excellent!

M - Nicely thick for a pale ale. Smooth, not overcarbonated.

D - Highly drinkable. Each sip leaves me wanting another within 10 seconds or so.

01-21-2009 23:40:06 | More by Samminator
MuddyFeet

4.8/5  rDev +26.3%

Perhaps my favorite APA of all time. Cannot get enough of this stuff. It will be put on my short list of everday beers.

Pours a copper color and is fairly clear. One thing that is not consistent is the head retention on this beer. Some form of foamy head always appears but it may or may not last all that long. Nose is mostly malts with some hops. I can also slightly pick up the rye sourness.

Flavor is so smooth. Does not exhaust the taste buds or grow boring. Malts and hops are perfectly balanced. Some slight biscuits. The rye gives it all a nice sourness that matches with the sweet and the bitters. Slightly dry mouthfeel that leaves you looking foward to the next sip. I have to control myself and make sure each sixer I have picked up since moving down to NC lasts.

12-12-2006 21:40:17 | More by MuddyFeet
ruckzuck

4.8/5  rDev +26.3%

Well, I'm not going to reiterate the standard review that others have done a good job with here. Instead I'll just talk about what Terrapin Rye is to me.

Terrapin Rye is one of my favorite beers; it's my session beer and my go-to beer wherever I am. It's delicious in the bottle or on-tap and ever so drinkable. I could have this all night, and I pick up a 6 pack/week on average. It's also quite a refreshing beer after a bike ride.

If you haven't had Terrapin Rye and your local (pub or store) has it, do yourself a favor and give it a chance! You won't be disappointed. If you are, well, I can't help you! I really can't stress how drinkable this beer is. Just lovely. I look forward to taking a tour of Terrapin's new facilities in Athens at some point sooner than later! On a closing note, I believe I'll have another Terrapin Rye right now. If I ever leave GA the two beer-related things I'll miss the most will be the Brick Store Pub and Terrapin beer. Cheers!

11-16-2007 02:07:24 | More by ruckzuck
xduderx

4.78/5  rDev +25.8%

This beer is a cut above the rest!!!!

smell = very strong with a floral aroma laced with rye undertones

taste = bites like a normal pale ale and leaves a definite rye afertaste on the pallate.

mouthfeel = medium bodied

drinkability = goes down very easy and is a pleasure to drink. this is a beer that should be enjoyed, not guzzled!!!!

06-07-2006 03:11:53 | More by xduderx
javahead71

District of Columbia

03-05-2014 22:58:21 | More by javahead71
RBorsato

4.75/5  rDev +25%

Contract Brewed by Frederick Brewing Co. - Frederick, MD.

Orange-ish in color with a low-moderate off-white head, lots of tiny suspended sediment, and decent carbonation. Citrusy grapefruit hop aroma dominates the nose. Nice balanced rye malt and citrusy hop flavors. Light-medium bodied with a crisp citrusy hop finish; not overly bitter; body is a bit light I guess but not detracting.

Very nice ! A must buy !

Per label: "5 varieties of hops" & "2002 GABF - Gold - American Pale Ale"

Per TBC website:
Malt: 2-row pale, Munich, Malted Rye, Bisuit Malt, Honey Malt.
Hops: Amarillo, Cascade, East Kent Goldings, Fuggle, Magnum.
IBU's: 45

KoalaKush

07-29-2012 22:45:09 | More by KoalaKush
KyleVick4

12 oz

A: Very clear, golden with a light amber center. Decent head with decent lacing.

S: Oranges and malt. Smells hoppy, but not in a syrupy/overintense IPA way.

T: Delicious. I try not to give out many 5's for taste, but this one earns it. Begins with a good malt taste, slightly carmel, then has an assertive kick of grapefruit with a nice hop flavor in the end. Wow I am impressed. Rye flavor was towards the back. Tastes like a really good Pale Ale.

M: Mmmm perfect carbonation. Tough to do. Light bodied but with strong taste. Superb.

D: Its gone. I finished the beer before I finished the brew. Sad.

I am not a big APA fan, but if more APA style beers were like this I think I would enjoy them more. Terrapin really nailed this one. Job well done.

05-09-2006 03:50:12 | More by KyleVick4