1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Terrapin Rye Pale Ale - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Rye Pale AleTerrapin Rye Pale Ale

good

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.30% ABV

Brewed with 10% rye, but an APA at heart.

(Beer added by: aracauna on 09-09-2002)
View: Beers (39) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Rye Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,380 | Reviews: 737 | Show All Ratings:
kdawg105

4.97/5  rDev +30.8%

I really love this brew. It pours to a nice dark golden color. It smells grain and hops. The hops being the main thing that rings out to me. Excellent tasting beer with a light bodied mouth feel which maks for superior drinkability. I would defintley advise trying the Rye Pale Ale.

08-12-2010 23:01:02 | More by kdawg105
Samminator

4.83/5  rDev +27.1%

A - A clear, golden-brown liquid with numerous tiny suspended particulates (yeast, perhaps?)

S - "C" Hops and earthy malt

T - I bought this sixer at a gas station in Dacula, Georgia. Once home, I found that the beer is 9 days past its "freshest if consumed by" date, and that it was contract brewed for Terrapin by a brewery in Frederick, Maryland. I've drunk this beer many times, but was peeved by this, anticipating a bad sample for my review. But... This beer's flavor was absolutely excellent. I haven't read any other BA reviews, but I see that its aggregate score is only a B-. I'm not sure why. There is a complexity to this Pale Ale that I think is singular. The flavor journey opens with clean malt sweetness. Post swallow, there is a pleasant bloom of peppery hop bitterness, followed by a honey-coating tongue feel (yes, I'm sure it is honey), concluded by a clean hop-bitterness linger. Excellent!

M - Nicely thick for a pale ale. Smooth, not overcarbonated.

D - Highly drinkable. Each sip leaves me wanting another within 10 seconds or so.

01-21-2009 23:40:06 | More by Samminator
MuddyFeet

4.8/5  rDev +26.3%

Perhaps my favorite APA of all time. Cannot get enough of this stuff. It will be put on my short list of everday beers.

Pours a copper color and is fairly clear. One thing that is not consistent is the head retention on this beer. Some form of foamy head always appears but it may or may not last all that long. Nose is mostly malts with some hops. I can also slightly pick up the rye sourness.

Flavor is so smooth. Does not exhaust the taste buds or grow boring. Malts and hops are perfectly balanced. Some slight biscuits. The rye gives it all a nice sourness that matches with the sweet and the bitters. Slightly dry mouthfeel that leaves you looking foward to the next sip. I have to control myself and make sure each sixer I have picked up since moving down to NC lasts.

12-12-2006 21:40:17 | More by MuddyFeet
ruckzuck

4.8/5  rDev +26.3%

Well, I'm not going to reiterate the standard review that others have done a good job with here. Instead I'll just talk about what Terrapin Rye is to me.

Terrapin Rye is one of my favorite beers; it's my session beer and my go-to beer wherever I am. It's delicious in the bottle or on-tap and ever so drinkable. I could have this all night, and I pick up a 6 pack/week on average. It's also quite a refreshing beer after a bike ride.

If you haven't had Terrapin Rye and your local (pub or store) has it, do yourself a favor and give it a chance! You won't be disappointed. If you are, well, I can't help you! I really can't stress how drinkable this beer is. Just lovely. I look forward to taking a tour of Terrapin's new facilities in Athens at some point sooner than later! On a closing note, I believe I'll have another Terrapin Rye right now. If I ever leave GA the two beer-related things I'll miss the most will be the Brick Store Pub and Terrapin beer. Cheers!

11-16-2007 02:07:24 | More by ruckzuck
xduderx

Tennessee

4.78/5  rDev +25.8%

This beer is a cut above the rest!!!!

smell = very strong with a floral aroma laced with rye undertones

taste = bites like a normal pale ale and leaves a definite rye afertaste on the pallate.

mouthfeel = medium bodied

drinkability = goes down very easy and is a pleasure to drink. this is a beer that should be enjoyed, not guzzled!!!!

06-07-2006 03:11:53 | More by xduderx
RBorsato

4.75/5  rDev +25%

Contract Brewed by Frederick Brewing Co. - Frederick, MD.

Orange-ish in color with a low-moderate off-white head, lots of tiny suspended sediment, and decent carbonation. Citrusy grapefruit hop aroma dominates the nose. Nice balanced rye malt and citrusy hop flavors. Light-medium bodied with a crisp citrusy hop finish; not overly bitter; body is a bit light I guess but not detracting.

Very nice ! A must buy !

Per label: "5 varieties of hops" & "2002 GABF - Gold - American Pale Ale"

Per TBC website:
Malt: 2-row pale, Munich, Malted Rye, Bisuit Malt, Honey Malt.
Hops: Amarillo, Cascade, East Kent Goldings, Fuggle, Magnum.
IBU's: 45

01-10-2006 22:03:33 | More by RBorsato
KyleVick4

4.75/5  rDev +25%

12 oz

A: Very clear, golden with a light amber center. Decent head with decent lacing.

S: Oranges and malt. Smells hoppy, but not in a syrupy/overintense IPA way.

T: Delicious. I try not to give out many 5's for taste, but this one earns it. Begins with a good malt taste, slightly carmel, then has an assertive kick of grapefruit with a nice hop flavor in the end. Wow I am impressed. Rye flavor was towards the back. Tastes like a really good Pale Ale.

M: Mmmm perfect carbonation. Tough to do. Light bodied but with strong taste. Superb.

D: Its gone. I finished the beer before I finished the brew. Sad.

I am not a big APA fan, but if more APA style beers were like this I think I would enjoy them more. Terrapin really nailed this one. Job well done.

05-09-2006 03:50:12 | More by KyleVick4
Cyberkedi

4.7/5  rDev +23.7%

This is one of my favorite beers. When I am in a bar, I frequently recommend it to folks who haven't tried it. One man liked it so much, he walked all the way across the bar to thank me.

I like flavorful beers, and this has a good strong hoppy taste with just a whisper of bitterness. One can taste the craft-brew attitude that goes into it. This is one beer that would be hard to improve.

12-25-2006 21:26:16 | More by Cyberkedi
froggyfrog

4.7/5  rDev +23.7%

Appears thick and golden in the glass with a short white head. Aroma is solid with west coast hops and an intricate grain mix. The rye's hegemony really comes through in the taste with a coarse and spicy flavor that is very enjoyable. The mouthfeel is full and oily slick. Exceptional drinkability, tasty and quite quenching. Thanks go out to Dan from NC for this treat.

05-27-2007 04:38:09 | More by froggyfrog
wmthorne

Tennessee

Big fan of this beer.

The smell is wonderful following the pour. Love the hops and malt balance

Great carbonation in the glass and in the mouth. Nice fizz

Compares well to a german rye in my humble opinion

Drinking this sitting in the sun on my boat. Could easily enjoy 5 more.

04-17-2009 21:47:59 | More by wmthorne
beerphan

4.6/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

firkin -> 20oz dimpled mug

Arrived a slightly cloudy orange with a big wispy white head. Lace was respectable and appeared in thin silk like spiderwebs.

Nose: Hoppy, floral, faint rye. Smelled delicious

Well balanced and sweet. Rye flavor was tame but balanced the floral hops perfectly. Some citrus flavors and bread like ryeness creeps in. Taste as well as it smells. Bitterness was tame but present.

Fatheads was giving this stuff away on friday for the terrapin kickoff! Kudos and good luck to the guys from Terrapin, You guys kick ASS!

Serving type: cask

11-17-2008 19:21:40 | More by beerphan
Higravity

4.58/5  rDev +20.5%

Had this beer at the Wild Goose brewery in MD where it is made under-contract for the Terrapin company.

Great beer if you like a well-balanced hoppy beer this is it. A beutiful smell of what I am guessing is some low IBU citrus hops. Has a grapefruity, citrus, piney smell that all hopheads love. The rye comes through in the taste but only as a plater to serve the juicy hops. It balances well with a medium body and I could drink this all day long and it wouldn't get old.

10-27-2004 15:17:46 | More by Higravity
ZAP

On tap at Zorbaz in Detroit Lakes,Minnesota

Great aroma to this beer....very juicy citrusy nose...the amarillo hops lead the way but it is quite complext.

The taste is fantastic as well...the rye notes are not evident to me but there is a nice malty/biscuity backbone along with a great juicy citrusy hoppiness.

Very drinkable...one of the better pale ales I have had...highly recommended...Zorbaz in DL has about 10-thousand different beers on tap including many hard to find Rogue and Sierra Nevada beers along with others...I don't get there often and like to try a few but I was damn near sticking with this beer the entire time....excellent beer.

05-08-2007 05:16:23 | More by ZAP
Stinkypuss

4.58/5  rDev +20.5%

A. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pale orange with a soapy white head. Bubbles keep popping and then filling up with foam, like little volcanoes. Nice lacing.

S. Nose is full of rye and some wheat. Some resinous hops definately in the mix as well.

T. A nice caramel malt body lays the foundation for a nice intermingling of rye and hop. The rye is bready with pumpernickel tones. Hops are crisp and provide an earthy bitter snap. Cracker like graininess. Perfectly balanced and nearly flawless.

M. Medium bodied with even smoothness. Crisp and semi dry finish. Leaves the palate wanting more.

D. I am down with this beer. Very tasty and refreshing. First I've seen of Terrapin in PA. I got to try a sample of Hop Monster and was very impressed as well. Pushing the boundries of the style and I love it.

11-11-2008 06:38:57 | More by Stinkypuss
SaCkErZ9

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

Wow. I wasnt expecting this. One of the best beers I have had in a while. I really love rye bread. Now I think I love rye beer, based on this selection.

Pours a golden orange color with a small head. I would have like to get some more head development from the barkeep, but she gave me just enough to work with.Very tiny carbonation bubbles.

Terrific smell. Lots of hops and citrus and orange and hops and grass and freshly mown hay. Great complexity. Smells wonderful. Like Great Divides Fresh Hop ale or any DIPA I assume.

Taste is smooth and clean. Nice hop bitterness. Great balance with the malt and hops. Tastes of citrus and lemons as grass as well. Very summer-earthy.

Crisp and clean mouthfeel. Smooth on the palate as well. A wonderful beer that surprised the hell out of me.

11-08-2005 20:26:16 | More by SaCkErZ9
cdizinno

South Carolina

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

A: Slightly hazy golden/amber color. Decent 1 finger thick head that dies quickly to a light, off-white film with moderate lacing.

S: Pine, floral hoppy aroma. Mildly sweet rye undertone.

T&M: Hoppy, pale ale. Well-balanced, but hoppier than maltier. Nice tangy taste with moderate bitterness from the hops. Dry finish. Medium bodied with nice fine, but moderate carbonation.

High drinkability! One is definitely not enough, but that's all that I have. Very impressive for a bottle pale ale. I really like this better than I can remember it served fresh on tap. Kind of odd?

11-27-2010 23:37:35 | More by cdizinno
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Modestly murky orange-gold with a small number of fine particulates. The good-sized head is the color of rich cream, possesses a creamy texture, displays a micro-pitting surface and has admirable persistence. An impressive amount of lace complete a very nice appearance.

The aroma is chock full of juicy hops, Amarillo especially (sweet orange-grapefruit hop juice is the tip-off). Amarillo is in my top three, and may just be my favorite hop, but the rest of the hop bill is no slouch either: Cascade, East Kent Goldings, Fuggles and Magnum. I'm not sure that all five were necessary, but I'm not complaining because Rye Pale Ale smells much too good. I don't appreciate any rye in the nose, but then that'd be surprising in such a hoppy beer.

Delicious! A bedrock malt structure imparts body, sweetness and little actual flavor. In other words... it's perfect. There's an impressive amount and quality of hop flavor in this beer. It isn't hoppy enough to turn off initiates (although my hop tolerance is so skewed by now that I could be way off base), but is hoppy enough to satisfy the majority of hopheads.

The flavor profile is rich, deep and multi-faceted, consisting primarily of bittersweet citrus and sugary pine. It doesn't have the bright hoppiness of some IPAs, nor the brassy bottom end hoppiness of most DIPAs, but a good middle range, mellow yet forceful, satisfying flavor that is hitting the spot right now. I still love my Amarillo, but perhaps using five varieties of hops (and five varieties of malt) wasn't such a squirrely idea after all.

Try as I might, I can't really discern the rye in this beer. There may be a little rye spiciness on the finish, but without the knowledge that malted rye was used, I would most likely have never been able to appreciate it (I love the idea of rye in beer and wish more brewers would use it, but unless a significant amount is used in a hoppy beer such as this, it doesn't make much sense). The body/mouthfeel is medium to slightly more full with a lush smoothness that is more apparent because of the low level of carbonation.

Terrapin Rye Pale Ale is a very good beer that possesses most of my favorite IPA qualities. It may not be for everyone, but I love it and wish I had a case at this very moment. And a second one for tomorrow. The terrapin/tortoise/turtle won the race, didn't he? A big Thank You to aracauna for providing.

02-09-2005 14:49:09 | More by BuckeyeNation
WVbeergeek

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Poured at Taco Mac in Woodstock, GA...appears a copper orange hue while the head forms thick and frothy appears a slight off white and elaves even thick chunks of lacing with each sip. Aroma has a spicy rye component but mainly citrus grapefruit and grassy overtones create the hop aspect of this brew very spicy the hoppy flow is green and fresh with sweet bicuit malt tones balancing it all out what a great smelling pale ale. Flavor hoppy assertive but complex and original the Amarillo hops really leave their mark on my palate heavy grapefruit and citrus components with a strong bitterness and big flavors with spicy rye and moderate sweetnees from the biscuit malt presence very well done. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate smoooth carbonation, slick and oily with some hop resins flowing here. Drinkability favorite beer while visiting the south it just left a mark on me and I could have drank it by the sixer great stuff it really sets the bar for Terrapin Beer.

05-18-2007 15:36:34 | More by WVbeergeek
wspscott

Kentucky

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

12oz bottle in pint glass (spring break)

A: Dark gold with thin off-white head, no lace, crystal clear
S: Sweet like honey, hint of flowers. This does not smell like a typical APA.
T: Sweet, caramel, honey, hoppy bitter (doesn't seem like typical APA hops). Slight sharpness (rye?)
M: Crisp and dry on tongue, slightly oily
D: Hook up the IV. This is a great pale ale. Hard to imagine improving. Highly recommended. I wish I could get this in KY.

03-17-2008 01:24:07 | More by wspscott
boldcity2008

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

A: orange in color with a 2" head that lasts for several minutes. Nice lacing develops during the session. Slowly rising carbonation bubbles and the thick head makes this beer look great.

S: orange citrus and some grassy tones are the strongest tones, while hints of caramel malt.

T: grainy malt sweetness, oranges, grass, and a decent bitterness make up a refreshing ale that sports a bit of a dry finish.

M: crisp and tart. Medium bodied beer.

D: fantastic and could drink this all day and night and have drank many 6 packs in 1 night.

10-16-2008 21:03:29 | More by boldcity2008
cjgator3

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Enjoyed on-tap at the Mellow Mushroom in Winter Park, FL. A 16oz pour produces a beautiful orangish amber color with a large off-white head that has very nice retention and lacing. The aroma is malt with just a hint of rye and a good dose of citrusy hops. The taste is very balanced between the caramel malt and hops. This is definitely one of my "go to" beers that I like to keep stocked in the fridge. Overall, Terrapin Rye Pale Ale is a delicious beer that is very drinkable. Highly Recommended!

02-24-2009 18:11:23 | More by cjgator3
tchenery

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Beer is a nice orange color, thin head though, but at least there's something.

It smells slightly sweet with a nice American hop aroma.

Bitter upfront with a distinct rye taste to it, kind of a funky taste but very refreshing and delicious. I'm biased from going to the University of Georgia and experiencing Terrapin in it's true form in downtown Athens, so this beer will get an excellent score from me.

Terrapin can do no wrong.

07-26-2010 21:08:11 | More by tchenery
nosurrender23

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Our club gave this beer an A.

"Delightful Pale Ale - Somethings don't need to be explained."

The beer pours with an apple juice like appearance (similar to dehydrated urine) with little head and heavy carbonation.

However, the smell is "citrusy" pale ale that has a slightly stronger hoppy smell almost like an IPA smell.

In the mouth, the beer is very light and smooth and would be a good tailgating beer.

The taste is like a smoother, lighter Stone Pale ale, very nice, lots of after taste (think of a "citrusy" pale ale that contains hops from fields tended by goateed turtles) and would go well with fruity pebbles cereal.

Drinking wise, the pale ale is smooth and easy to drink. Hoppy or not hoppy is the question!

02-25-2011 01:37:47 | More by nosurrender23
LittleWolf

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

12 oz. bottle that has been saved from my last trip to Georgia.

Pours a thin white head that disipates quickly, leaving only a thin white rim around the edge of the glass. An up-front smell of hops is supported by a backbone of citrus notes, an aroma that always makes me eager to dive in.

The scent holds true, as the taste packs a bold hoppy punch. A balance of malt is present, but be ready for the hops to win out. There are some noticeable citrus flavors as well. A very drinkable mouthfeel, but not noteworhty. Finishes with a welcome bite to the back of the tounge and leaves a great hoppy flavor in your mouth throughout the beer.

I must say that I am biased towards Terrapin, and my review follows accordingly; the Rye Pale Ale is my sentimental favorite. A Great brewery, and this beer is one that I can drink all night enjoyably. I can't wait to go back to Georgia for more.

02-01-2006 20:44:11 | More by LittleWolf
Brad007

Vermont

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours a two-finger head that fades into a one-finger head. Light reddish-copper color.

Aroma is full of spicy rye and biscuit malt with some hop bitterness.

Taste is very spicy upfront with a bit of sweetness. Biscuit malt and hops are secondary in this brew. Pleasant and easy to drink.

Mouthfeel is full of spicy rye, sweetness and biscuit malt. Smooth.

Very delicious for a rye pale ale. Reminds me of my own efforts. Definitely a flavorful, sessionable pale ale that you can't go wrong with.

12-13-2008 04:27:37 | More by Brad007