Terrapin Rye Pale Ale - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: aracauna on 09-09-2002

Brewed with 10% rye, but an APA at heart.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Rye Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 767 | Hads: 1,764
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer arrived at the table a cloudy, light golden color with a nice white and long lasting head which lace the glass.

The aroma was citrusy with a light rye presence. The rye portion of the aroma was well done and some malt sweetness was also present.

The flavor was sweet with a malty presence, but overy so. The rye presence was again well executed, but the sweetness was not well balaced with hop bittering.

The finish was just off sweet with lasting sweetness into the finish with some rye presence along for the ride as well. The body was medium.

Guest beer at 5 Seasons Brewing Company in Atlanta.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. Single bought at Hop City, Birmingham. Freshness date of Novermber 2013. Hm, lots of BA reviews; didn't realize this was a Terrapin flagship.

Pours a handsome bronze, very murky and opaque. Not many style points for the weak head, but nice lacing.

Smell is very floral and pleasant. A little c-hop citrus is there; so is a touch of rye spiciness. Something like maraschino cherry? Smells like an old fashioned.

The taste doesn't punch like the nose... everything is muted. No wave of bitterness or hop-forward flavors. More of a rounded, earthy flavor akin to an English IPA lightly hit with rye. That said, I'm not sure I would identify this as a rye beer if I didn't know in advance. Mouthfeel is slightly thin.

It would be one thing if hops were sacrificed to make way for the rye, but here both are muted and rounded into what amounts to a safe, inoffensive session beer, an annoying specialty of the South.

Exploring Terrapin has been an up-and-down adventure for this reviewer; the Rye PA likely isn't one I'll return to.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a cloudy light copper color. An average size white head, has ok retention and leaves some sticky lacing.

S- A floral hop aroma with hints of spiciness. Also something here that's really sweet can't put my finger on it. Also some bready smells and a touch of rye in there.

T - Sweet at first with a light caramel malt. Quickly followed by a hop spiciness that is accented well by a rye.

M- Medium in body and good carbonation.

D- Worth a try for sure. Overall, pretty easy to drink.

3.52/5  rDev -8.1%

This poured with a big, thick, creamy off-white/light-tan head. The nose was quite hoppy, with a citrus smell really evident. The color was a slightly cloudy orangish-amber. The mouthfeel was medium and I didn't experience the hops as much on the tongue as the nose led me to expect. Instead, the flavor was more malty-sweet than bitter, although I did get a rye bite on the finish. As an APA, it was okay, but I can think of others that I might reach for first.

3.52/5  rDev -8.1%

poured into a mug by bartender.

Appearance: Yellow beer with a small white head. Not much lacing to speack of.

Smell: citris and pine.

Taste: Light malt that is biscuity. Mild hop bitterness composed of mostly citris and some pine. Citrus includes lemon, mandrin orange and orange peels.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied beer with medium carbonation. Refreshing on this really hot day in florida that I am drinking it. Could drink lots of these beers on a hot day.

Overall: Still loving all the beers I have tried from Terrapin Beer CO. Great summer session beer!

3.52/5  rDev -8.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a "Surly Power of the Pint" pint glass.

A- Pours a 1 ½ finger white head that dissipates to a nice bubbly layer on top of the glass, splotchy lacing, brown yellow color well carbonated, slight haziness to it.
S- The aroma is very mellow, some citrus, some grapefruit, big malt aromas, bready notes, nutty notes, not much going on in the aroma.
T- Not the greatest tasting Pale Ale, slight citrus, some spice, malt backbone, really mellow beer, not much going on.
M- Medium mouth feel, well carbonated, crisp/clean finish.
O- Decent beer, nothing really special or unique going on, easy drinkability, would drink again if there was no other option.

3.51/5  rDev -8.4%

First off, I love Terrapin brews. I think they do an awesome job with the brews I've had to date. Poured this one, aggressively, into a Samuel Smith Pint Glass. Somewhat cloudy with a nice three inch head. Minimal smell at first, but the smell develops as the beer warms up. Good tasting beer, but a night after enjoying the Terrapin Rye Squared Pale Ale, it's just a bit more subdued for my taste buds. Still, a nice example of a pale ale. My bar is already high on pale ales, since Three Floyds Alpha King is my favorite in the style. Paired nicely with barbeque chicken off the grill.

3.51/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours slightly hazy, and a shade short of copper. There is a nice half-inch or so of thick creamy, eggshell head, that leaves a good bit of lace as it slowly dies down.

There is a hint of rye in the aroma and some very faint hops. I don't find the aroma inviting or displeasing, but there is a small amount of complexity with the rye standing out front.

Crisp, a bit bready, definite rye and lingering hops. The rye really comes out first, and the beer gets maltier as it warms but the hops stay pretty consistent throughout.

The light feel and crispness is absolutely perfect for this beer. Due to the very enjoyable but long-lingering hoppy aftertaste I find myself coming back for a sip more often than with some other beers so that I can get that bready, maltiness that comes at the beginning of the sip. If you are looking for a good session beer then keep this in mind.

3.51/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice clear orange color with off-white head. Rye, spice, floral notes, and some citrus on the nose; follows onto the palate. Finishes with rye and spice. Very nice, just a good amount of hop bit but enough caramel malt to round it out.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Thanks to lostbearbrew for this addition on our last trade...one I have been wanting to try for some time.
Pours a semi-cloudy golden orange color w/ a half finger of bright white head...decent amount of lacing going on.
Aroma is enjoyable...a nice citrus scent w/ a semi-sweet background.
The taste is decent...less flavor than what was detected in the nose, but it becomes more flavorful as it warms.
Rye does not overtake the brew and it is fairly well balanced w/ the bitterness presenting itself in the finish.
A bit thin in the mouthfeel but the carbonation is where I enjoy it to be. Could be a session brew, but I'd prefer to reach for an alternative if given the chance.
A decent offering and I am very pleased to get the chance to try.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

ST: 12oz poured into a pint glass.

A: Bronze, amber with a thin white head.

S: Spicy rye, grapefruit hops, lemon.

T: Spicy citrus, with a deep rye spice flavor, slight bitterness.

M: Smooth and creamy.

O: Easy to drink with a nice spicy addition of rye. While not very hoppy, the hops present are sophisticated and enjoyable.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Single bottle poured into a pint glass, pouring clear and deep straw/golden in color with a light touch of chill haze. Half inch cap shows moderate retention and light lace.

Aroma of light citrus hops but not very pungent. Amarillo dry hops sit atop what otherwise comes across as more of an English Pale body. Taste of rye is subtle as well up front and seems to compete with other specialty malts in the mix. Yet there is a pleasant spice and graininess likely from the rye and hops as well.

Decent feel with said texture which segues to a citrus hop close. Spice, fruit and then a neutral sweetness to finish. Malt depth again comes across as more English in style but easy drinking Pale Ale nonetheless.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Has an orange, coppery, autumnesque hue. 1 finger white head, poor retention. Thin lace.

Aroma isn't very prominant. Slightly sweet and spicy, with a hint of the rye.

Tastes very crisp. Rye is there, though not overpowering.

Very drinkable. Might not make it the only thing I drink over the course of a night, but wouldn't complain if it was all that was available.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

I had a draft of this at World of Beers in Orlando where I was thrilled to see numerous beers I can't get in New York, including Terrapin. I was not as impressed with this beer as I had hoped but I did enjoy it.

Appearance was a light copper, hazy with a good amount of carbonation.

Aroma was spicy, like Rye, but not as hoppy as I had hoped. Some light bready, biscuity aroma as well. Not bad but I was hoping for more.

Flavor was similar to the aroma. Spicy rye but not enough hops and a little thin on all accounts.

Overall a decent beer, I'm glad I tried it but it was not one of my favorites.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had high hopes for this Rye PA, as I love me some rye in any form. However, it's not very well executed.
The rye seems left behind, but in it's place is a slightly skunky pilsner/pale malt flavor with minimal
hop presence. Reminds me of a very mediocre English Pale Ale. Highest marks for nice carbonation, mouthfeel,
color, and lacing. Taste is bland skunk adjunct. Not an old bottle btw. Drink by 12/14....

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a pretty cool-looking 12 oz. bottle with a turtle playing a banjo on it into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a really nice-looking golden honey color with a very frothy looking one-finger head. Lots of bubble floating around in this one, as well, indicating the higher carbonation. The head disappears quickly and leaves only a smidgen of lacing on the glass.

Smell: This has a very good smell to it. The hops interplay nicely with the sweet malts in the smell. Very nice smell of floral hops is countered by a tantalizing presence of sweet malts.

Taste: What a letdown from the smell. Not a bad brew, but I was expecting something better from the nose. All in all, it's a pretty weak tasting brew. There are some very faint notes of rye, hops and malt but none are pronounced in any sense of the word.

Mouthfeel: This beer is painfully thin, which is a probably partly a result of the extraordinary amount of carbonation. Not really too bad, as it lends to the drinkability, but this is one of the thinner craft brews I've ever had.

Drinkability: The thin mouthfeel and higher carbonation allow this one to go down real fast but I wouldn't drink a lot of these if I had something with more taste on hand.

Overall, this brew really did not live up to my expectations. This is the first offering of Terrapin's that I've had and was really let down by the complete absence of flavor in the taste. I look forward to trying some more things from this brewery, but this is just a little too weak for me, although it is pretty easy-drinking.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

12-oz to nonic. Three months before drink-by.

A - Gold. Decent bright white head.

S - Oddly, green apple, at least while the head is still effervescing, but later faint, overlapping a wet grain smell. A little caramel malt.

T - Not sure I'm getting much rye here. I feel like I've been able to detect the rye in past tastings. Just a little bit of hop presence. There was a time in my hopvolution when this beer marked the limit of hops I could tolerate. Now it doesn't seem particularly hoppy except in the aftertaste, where a mild bitterness lingers. I feel like this is slightly watery and could use a more concentrated flavor.

M - nothing of note aside from a slight feeling of hop dryness left behind.

O - A good beer. Sessionable but not bland. I feel like it was more flavorful when I tried it in the past, but that was on tap. I'll want to try it again and see if today was an oddity.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a dark straw color. This offering is mild on both the malt and hop fronts. Not really getting the spicy rye notes that I long for in a style such as this.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a slightly hazy, amber color. 1/4 inch head of an off-white color. Slight retention and good lacing. Smells of pine, hop oil, sweet malt, hint of earthy malt, hint of citrus hops, and a hint of rye. Fits the style of an American Pale Ale. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, hop oils, pine, hint of citrus hops, and a hint of earthy malt. Overall, decent appearance, aroma, and blend.

From notes:

Pours a dark golden orange/amber color with a thin half finger foamy yellowish head and visible carbonation bubbling up. Not much in the way of lacing.

Slightly earthy hop aroma with subtle malt notes and sweet rye.

Medium bodied with a nice bitter hop presence up front that is quickly countered by a sweet caramel rye malt backbone. Nicely balanced with hints of grass, straw and nut. Dry bitter hop finish.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

I picked this up at Fat Heads in the Southside of Pittsburgh a few months back while driving through since we can't get it here up in Massachusetts. Just got out of work and have decided to enjoy this beer tonight as to another night this week since I had put it in my fridge this afternoon. Beer was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy orange yellow hue with little head and a little bit of lacing too. There are signs of carbonation and clarity is foggy.

Smell: Very malty, hints of honey, but very light hop profile. Smells delicious and can't wait to try a sip.

Taste: sweet malts, honey, a little grainy. NOt much else going on there, but tastes great from when I had this down in Georgia 3 years ago.

Mouthfeel: A decent amount of carbonation, very smooth, and easy drinking. Loving this beer a lot and wish I had more.

Overall: This beer is as good as it was 3 years ago when I was down in Georgia for work for my old job. Happy that I scored a bottle, but disappointed that I only got one. A great rye PA and wish they would make a Rye IPA. Might have to go south to get another bottle.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours cloudy orange with a thin veil of white head that goes fast. A vague aroma of hops, citrus, wet grass and a hop spiciness. A pleasant drink: light hops, citrus, grass, some spice, a strange rye characteristic towards the end, and then vague lemon afterthoughts. Light in body and in carbonation. A light pale ale that sprinkles some great flavors across the palate but some weird notes as well.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a clear, bright copper, with some lacing.

Smell: Fresh hops, I prefer the smell to the taste.

Taste: Crisp with lots of hoppy bitterness, more bitter than hops.

Mouthfeel: Light

Drinkability: A rather bland standard offering.

Note, on-tap is many times better than the bottle, bottled it tastes like a cheap macro lager. This is really the first beer where I have ever noticed such a pronounced difference.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Thanks goes to MSchae1017 for this one.
This beer pours a golden amber color with a small white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of rye with a hoppy aroma and honey sweetness. The taste follows the smell with a nice hoppyiness. The mouthfeel has medium body and has lots of carbination. Drinkability is decent. I could drink a couple.

3.49/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: copper with a nice white foamy head. a little darker than I expected, but a good looking beer.

S: lots of caramel bananas nicely with an earthy hop. not much complexity but an enjoyable smell.

T: big semi sweet caramel malt in the front, the middle comes the earthy hop, with a bit of citrus bite. the finish is where the rye comes in and brings it all together. just enough spice to know you're drinking a rye

m: great carbonation! lighter body than most ryes, this goes down too easy!

o: is this my favorite rye? no. but I really enjoyed it. balanced perfectly. smooth and easy drinking.

Terrapin Rye Pale Ale from Terrapin Beer Company