Terrapin Rye Pale Ale - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: aracauna on 09-09-2002

Brewed with 10% rye, but an APA at heart.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Rye Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,712 | Reviews: 775
1.56/5  rDev -58.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer pours a clear, copper color with no head or lace. The aroma is of bread crust, honey, and pine. The flavor is very piney with some lemon. There is a bitter, envelope glue-like aftertaste. The mouthfeel is light-medium and sticky. Terrapin Rye Pale Ale is an ok beer, light, dry, and fairly bland. Slightly recommended.

2.32/5  rDev -38.8%

Had this on tap at the Mellow Mushroom in Tuscaloosa, AL on 3/18/2010. From the tap to a pint glass, and I fear from a dirty line.

Appearance: Pour is a solid bright copper color like a new penny; slight chill haze, but body looks clear and shows minimal carbonation; starts with a 1 and 1/2 finger off-white head with great retention -- very foamy with spots and washes of dry lacing as it eventually fades; eventually disappears to a full and thick skim.

Smell: Uh oh. Smells off, kind of like a stale lager, and it seems that the tap line may be dirty or the keg may be really old. Toasty graininess with a subdued rye presence.

Taste: Yep, much like the smell, a little off. Flavors are subdued and muted by a metallic and mild vinegar presence; a hidden bitter hoppiness peaks out here and there and the toasty grains and rye try to compliment it.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is quite potent, but not sharp (which is actually mildly surprising as there isn't any that is visibly present); a fair sticky coating is left on the roof of the mouth and is a little "cottony"; a moist body overall though with no real drying effect.

Drinkability: When I had it in the bottle, I would say I could drink it all day, but coming out of this particular tap, I don't think I'd want too much. I hope to try this again from the tap and edit this review as I really haven't been let down by Terrapin yet.

2.46/5  rDev -35.1%

Thanks to evolbob for the sample.

Best before date of 30Nov07, five days too late. Before I get started I just want to say that I am usually pretty wary of any beer that has one city's name on the label yet is made in a different state all together. Very havy light copper beer topped with a fluffy head that slightly laces its way down the glass. Smell is soapy and grainy with maybe some bitter chocolate. Not very pleasant at all and quite a challenge to get past. Mouthfeel it rather light and not much to the taste. Upon swallowing the soapyness and grains come back into play with some slight banana and clove notes. Very subtle citrusy hops tag along in the aftertaste. Ends slightly dry. My first rye beer, kind of dissapointed (sorry Bob). Could have been expired, only a second tasting will tell.

2.58/5  rDev -31.9%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was a golden color with a fair head that was gone pretty fast. However the lacing was great. Shame that don't help the taste. The beer was a bit cloudy also. The beer was over hoppy as is a lot of brews being made these days. I'll be glad when this trend ends.
Not buy again.

2.7/5  rDev -28.8%

Decent overall pale ale with a nice amount of bitterness.

2.73/5  rDev -28%

12oz bottle contract brewed in Frederick, MD. Do they really brew any beer in Athens?

When I see rye on the label I expect some of that characteristic spiciness, but I get very little of that here. The smooth mouthfeel is there, though.

Aroma is citrus, flavor is a big blast of orange. I checked the label to get an idea of the hops they use in this beer, but no clues there. Fuggles maybe, but more likely centennial or columbus. If you like orange creamsicles. this is the beer for you.

Bitterness was a bit low for an American Pale Ale.

Overall I was not enticed to grab another bottle of this.

2.74/5  rDev -27.7%

Pours yellow (I was expecting darker for some reason) with a minimal head that drops to scattered bubbles.
Smell is malt, citrus (lemon & orange) and a hint of hops.
Taste is citrus, hops, pine with malt way in the back.
Medium body, fizzy all over the palate for about 5 seconds. A touch bitter finishing with a hoppy/resiny aftertaste that fades evenly and gradually. A touch more lager-like than expected from a pale ale, but not a bad beer.

2.8/5  rDev -26.1%

Served in my Dogfish Head pub pint glass.
Pours a amber color with a slight head. Slight lacing left on the side of the glass.
There's a little hint of hops in the nose.
The taste is pretty average. Some hops can be found, blended in with a pretty good ale.
This is a good everyday beer. It's highly sessionable and goes down quite easy. Not something to write home about, but it would be nice to see a sixer in the fridge.

2.82/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance: Poured a brownish amber, clear. Minimal carbonation. Half finger white bubbly head that diminishes to nothing immediately. No lacing.

Smell: Strong apple cider nose, with sweet roasted malts in the background. Some caramel as well.

Taste: Tastes like a very mild lager, with some adjunct malts thrown in.

Mouthfeel: Thin to medium bodied, with little carbonation bite.

Drinkability: Supposedly a "rye" pale ale, but more like a more mild amber ale. Not much flavor and a subpar mouthfeel.

Buy Again? No.

2.83/5  rDev -25.3%

This beer isnt too bad, the beer pours out as a nice looking brew. A good head on it. The smell of the beer is pretty hoppy, the taste is a little on the weak side. The mouthfeel is somewhat thin. Overall I find the Rye Squared to be much better than this one. All in all this one was just a little light for me.

2.85/5  rDev -24.8%

Huh. Can't say my experience with this beer jived with that of other users, judging from the ratings. I love rye beer and I love hops, but this beer seemed to me to be kind of lifeless and cardboard (oxidized?) tasting.

I got a bottle of this at Mac's Speed Shop and BBQ in Charlotte. It poured a dark amber with a pretty minimal head of big white bubbles. Aroma was cardboard, some hops, and a wheat-like smell that I'd say is a characteristic of rye beers. Flavor was nothing special; a lot of maltiness, not much hop, some of that chalky-flavor/mouthfeel I'd describe as similar to other rye beers I've had. Mouthfeel was a touch thin.

OK, but nothing great. I had this beer at Mac's Speed Shop and BBQ in Charlotte, NC.

2.86/5  rDev -24.5%

not really my favorite from a great brewery. tastes a bit to bitter, even for a rye beer. I've had it served at different temperatures and recently had it at terrapin itself. rye beers are difficult to pull off but this one leaves quite a bit to be desired,

2.88/5  rDev -24%

the fuck happened to the tick rating?

2.92/5  rDev -23%

From a bottle with a enjoy before date of 8/21/2011, today is 1/4/2011 so a little old. Poured into a shaker glass.

A: Slightly hazy amber with sediment suspended in the body. Thin white head which dissipates rather quickly.

S: The best way I can describe this is a light sweet tea. It's sweet with a slight fruity scent to it with slight hops, but they're all mixing together and remind me of iced tea.

T: A bit bitter throughout, but in a slightly off way. There's some rye notes through it, but this is rather watery. I would like to try this fresh, but it definitely doesn't hold up much past the date.

M: Watery and thin with weak carbonation, it has a slight edge to it, but it fizzes up mostly and makes the beer feel creamy.

O: I applaud Terrapin for putting a best before date because at least I know this was past the date and I know it deserves a re-rate. I know it's a bit old, but unfortunately the consumer is left with a sub-par beer due to age. It makes me wonder how many "bad" beers I've had were simply bad due to age. I'll revisit this fresh.

2.95/5  rDev -22.2%

After the bartender told me my first five choices were out, I figured this local brew would be available. Much more of a rye than an IPA, that is a bit overwhelming to the palate and nose. nice color, lacing, and carbonation, like it came from the brewery that day. A bit too havy after a long session of different beers. May be more drinkable if this was my first. Wouldn't mind trying some other Terrapin brews next time I'm in Athens.

2.96/5  rDev -21.9%

Pours a slightly hazy gold with a minimal white head and little lacing down the glass.

A little bit of malt and some spiciness from the rye. Not a ton of hop character.

Starts out with a slight pine hop taste, but really not much there. A bit of sweet malt comes through then finishes with a spicy rye flavor.

Mouthfeel and carb are pretty good.

A pretty underwhelming brew. The flavors don't quite meld together and there's just nothing that makes this stand out.

2.98/5  rDev -21.4%

12oz brown bottle. Pours a slightly cloudy, but bright, amber, topped with a decent 2 finger thick foamy head that settles to a respectable clinging lace. Touch of sweetness in the nose, with a lightly sour/rye character, and floral pith. Soft mouthfeel, light-bodied, with a touch malt body. Gentle sweetness, light hoppiness and phenols from the rye. Pithy, with a tea and bready linger. Flavor becomes quite malty and even sweeter as the beer warms. Grainy tannins in the finish, not overly pleasant ones. Balanced, but not overly impressive.

2.99/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

The only beer I have had from Terrapin is the Wake-n-Bake… and it is to die for. I mean, seriously the best coffee beer I have ever had. We had it on tap on Florida, but have traded for several bottles of it since. That beer isn't on the list, which surprises me. Maybe we can score another bottle and do an "off the wall" review of it for you. It is SO good, it makes me cry I can't have a bottle every morning!

I do like rye, so this should be a good offering. I like the word "smooth" when used to explain it. They are right about the resurgence of rye whiskey. That is a hot item right now, and you can tell just walking the aisles at Total Wine & More. We landed this bottle in a trade with our good friend Ashley Bower. I hope she is drinking something good here on National IPA Day! Cheers.

In the Glass: Is this beer flat? There are no bubbles here. No head, either. If I didn't know any better, I would think this is a hoppy barleywine. It almost looks thick in the glass. There is no lace and the beer just seems to sit there waiting to be consumed. Fine, I will drink you. This is a pale ale… is there a National Pale Ale Day?

Nose: Imagine the smell of freshly baked bread, and then toss in some hops. This smells amazing. It is not an overwhelming aroma, but man… GREAT nose. I am serious, though. This smells like bread. I would even go as far as saying rye bread. See what I did there? I hope those same notes carry over to the flavor. Cheers!

Flavor: Nope. Those flavors do not carry over. Is this beer boring because I have already consumed two double Indiana pale ales this evening? I mean, I am flat out disappointed in this. I would rather sit here and smell it than drink it. It is too cold, but there is hardly any flavor whatsoever. There is a hint of bitterness as I lick my lips, but that's it. Come on Terrapin. If you can produce a beer as delicious as the Wake-n-Bake, you can surely add some energy to your rye pale ale.

Mouthfeel: It drinks like a domestic. Unless you swish it around in your mouth, don't expect much character. I am really disappointed in this. I know Ashley likes it. I hope she isn't offended when I tell her how upset I am with the flavor of this one. Try harder Terrapin! I am going to let some of this heat up a little bit before finishing my glass.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is somewhat drying, but is leaving a lot to desire. I really wanted to be blown away with hoppy flavors here. I mean, they even call it a "hoppy pale ale". Most pale ales lack a lot of hop character, but I was hoping this would change my mind about it. I will say this would serve as a good gateway into an IPA. But this isn't something I am going to write home about.

Better yet, maybe I WILL write home and tell all my friends and family to not order this one. Boo!

On tap. Pours a slightly cloudy, but bright, amber, topped with a decent 2 finger thick foamy head that settles to a respectable clinging lace.

While I get rye notes this was just an everyday pale ale.

Appearance – Clear dark yellow with a frothy head.

Aroma – Bready and malty

Palate – Smooth, slick, oily.

Flavor –Citrus hop that finishes sweet and dry.

Final thoughts – It’s an OK brew for a Rye ale but there are much better choices out there..

Thanks to Jamie for this bottle.

A- clear hazy gold with small tight head and some sticky lacing.

S- spicy rye malt and herbal hops

T- subtal rye hits the tounge first followed by clean hops and citrus. orange and lemon flavors picked up

M- crisp and clean easy to session this one.

O- A very crisp easy drinking rye apa. I need to try more of this style to compare others.

3.03/5  rDev -20.1%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass. Thanks to whartontallboy for the first of many beers from the southeast in our trade.

Beer is a dark and clear orange with an initial finger of foamy head with a few bubbles after an aggressive pour. Head receded to a collar pretty quickly, though there are some medium sized bubbles floating around the edge and on the surface. Nice lacing that sticks steadily to the glass after the head dissipated and also after swirling. Some small bubble carbonation slowly float up to the surface as well.

Nose is rye dominated, spicy and bready. A hint of floral hops as well, but the rye is the main attraction here.

Taking a sip, bready malts and spice upfront, then a bit of floral hops bitterness on the dry finish. Finish is also metallic, unfortunately. More metallic as I drink this as it warms in the glass.

Light bodied but with a fairly aggressive carbonation that pricks at the tongue. This might be fairly drinkable pale ale if not for the metallic aftertaste and carbonation.

3.03/5  rDev -20.1%

Served at 35 deg F., allowed to warm slowly through the sampling process, poured into pint glass.

No head to speak of; pours a bright gold with a slight amber hue - very slight haze.

Mild aroma of toasted malt - there is a floral-fruity component that may be jointly attributable to hops and esters.

There is a nice effervescent bitterness on the tip of the tongue followed by slightly sweet, bready, slightly stale/sour malt flavors. Mild floral hop flavor. Rye flavor is mostly lacking, seems to be overpowered by crystal, munich, or something.

Mouthfeel is fairly thin; there's a bit of chewiness, but not much. Finishes with a minerally bitterness that fades into sweet malt with a slight rye spice and a hint of astringent bitterness.

I enjoy this beer; the malt seemed to me to be very slightly stale, nothing to bitch about. By the end of the glass, the rye was becoming more noticeable and I wanted another.

3.03/5  rDev -20.1%

I really wanted more out of this beer. I have generally liked Terrapin beers, but this one just struck me as too mild and lacking in ambition. Rye gives you so much to work with as a brewer and I don't get the sense that Terrapin took advantage of the opportunity to challenge the drinker, or even use the spice of the rye to enliven an conventional Pale Ale formula.

Pours clear golden with slight head and nice lacing. The aroma is thin and slightly spicy. Flavor is bready and slight, but with a spice bite, a little lemony hops. Bitterness develops slowly and encircles the base of the tongue. Mouthfeel is rather thin.

Terrapin Rye Pale Ale from Terrapin Beer Company