Terrapin Rye Pale Ale - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: aracauna on 09-09-2002

Brewed with 10% rye, but an APA at heart.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Rye Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 761 | Hads: 1,724
4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

This beer was tasted in a Terrapin Shaker Pint Glass from the bottle.

This beer pours a golden orange with a frothy white head that leaves a nice lace and nice film. The first aroma that hits your nose is the combination of grapefruity citrusy hops grainy rye. Again the flavor is quite hop forward as is the smell but it is balanced nicely with pale malts and spicy rye. The mouthfeel rather full for a pale ale and has a nice carbonation. Overall one of the best pale ales out there and one to definitely get again and again. (528 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy golden straw color with medium creamy off-white head. The head dissipates quickly, leaving a sheen and moderate lace. Smells quite green, fresh, and hoppy, with grapefruit, a bit of rye, and a touch of mint. Taste begins with sweet malts, develops lots of bitter grapefruit hop coarseness, and finishes with a slightly minty and spicy rye-bread twinge. Creamy and well-carbonated medium body. Extremely crisp, fresh, and refreshing! (447 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +12.4%

This was our offering for the First Freakin Firkin Friday at Barley's Taproom in Greenville,SC. The always wonderful Terrapin Rye Pale Ale was cask conditioned with Fench Vanilla oak chips, and then dry hopped with 5 ounces of Columbus Hops! It was great to see soo many people there. The expectation was for this one to last 2 hours, and it was kicked in 35mins! Glad I was able to get my two pints.

Casked was tapped at 6:00pm and I was licky enough to get one of the first pints that came out. Poured a nice hazy light amber with lots of carbonation. Initially had a nice fluffy white head, but this quickly faded leaving a thin film on the top. Some very nice lace down the sides. Good presentation. Smell was out of this world! May have been the freshest smelling brew I have ever head. Smell was gooey fresh cut hops, like you broke it off the vine. Very strong as well. Fantastic, I could use this as an air freshner. Depp piney and citrus, pineapple like tones, with just the right amount of sweetnss, mixed in with a fresh cut grass smell, wonderful. The taste was very nice as well. Very nice, light and hoppy. Hints of vanilla and oak permiatted through and blended well with the terrapins naturally great rye pale flavor. A little thin on the mouth, I thought it would have come out slightly more robust then it did, but it afforded a wonderful long lasting dry finish.

This was simply stated an awesome beer. Extremely drinkable and could have easily put down 10 of these all night long. Would probably have gone very well with some pizza, as the Terrapin Rye is my all time favorite pizza beer. Our first Freakin Firkin Friday was Friggin Fantastic! I cannot wait for another and hope Terrapin will stop by again! (1,735 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

cloudy orangish color, small short lasting head, hoppy smell. immediate hop taste, followed by a distinct rye malt, then a smooth hoppy finish. a great beer. on a side note, the artwork on the bottle is unique and the company website is entertaining. (250 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden-orange color with active, tiny carbonation bubbles. The head has a slight orange tint and is quite perky, with a densely foamy and frothy texture. Retention is very nice, with solid lacing.

S: Pale malt and yes, a bit of rye in the nose. A robust citric hop aroma of orange rind and grapefruit juice - nice. Some sappy pine notes are also lurking in among the citrus.

T: Malt is primarily pale, with light caramel flavor. Rye adds an appreciable spiciness without being too prevalent. Citric hops again add a firm touch, with grapefruit and orange most noticeable. Some light piney notes are also available. Bitterness is considerable for an APA.

M: Medium bodied. The carbonation lends a creamy texture before fading into a rather dry finish.

D: I'm pretty impressed by this beer. A very tasty pale ale that incorporates rye and a hop bill worthy of an IPA. When well executed, rye beers like this are a welcome addition to the world. According to the bottle, brewed at the Flying Dog brewery in Frederick, MD...interesting. (1,065 characters)

served on-tap at Mellow Mushroom, Tuscaloosa, AL, into a pint glass

Pours a even-bodied orange/amber color. Like tangerine but darker, I suppose. The 1.5 finger sized head seemed fairly well-composed and almost like a nitro-tap head in terms of small-bubbled consistency. Adequate lacing. Looks good.

Hops come first and foremost. Not quite abrasive in their bitter aroma but strong nonetheless. Orange and pine and... hemp, I believe, make for a sticky smell. Some doughy, bready malt surfaces of course. Not complex but everything works together and smells bright & fresh.

This is a fucking awesome APA. This glass at this bar on this night, anyway. Like a less pungent version of Founders Red's Rye, this beer brings the hemp/weed taste along with bright citrus fruit and rye spicy sweetness and bitter evergreen. All that hop flavor is grounded in breadcrusts and caramel malt. The balance lies in favor of the hops but this is a pale ale that I think most beer drinkers, even the hop-averse, can appreciate.

Rye Pale Ale has the kind of mouthfeel I perhaps most appreciate - the one you don't ever think about. Great carbonation level, great smoothness. I could put back a few of these in one night and enjoy every second of it. (And the only reason I didn't put back a few was because this same bar had Bigfoot on-tap still !)

If you see this on-tap, buy it. What a perfect college football session choice this would be. (1,431 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle with freshness date clearly marked on label.

A - A gorgeous honey/amber color with a half finger white head.

S - The nose is that of bold citrus and earthy hops with maybe a faint sweet honey smell in the back

T - Great hoppy flavor that finishes clean. Some sweetness also present from the malted rye. A pretty balanced flavor from the hops and malts, but the hops win out in the end for me. Pretty damn tasty

M - The complex hoppy flavor blends really well with the carbonation. Also, by holding the beer on the tip of my tongue, I can pick up some of the sweet flavors from the malts. Good stuff. Finishes pretty clean

D - A light bodied, easy to drink pale ale...pretty much all I think needs to be said here. I definitely enjoyed this beer (774 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

Bottle says best by 4-8-08. Consumed on February 20, 2008.

A: Poured into a mug. Body is clear coppery-amber with a 1/2-finger off slightly off-white head. Some lace left behind.

S: Clean, fresh, juicy citrusy hops. Didn't get any sense of rye, but the hops were pleasant, though not overwhelming.

T: Toasty or breadish malt followed by grapefruity, citrusy hops. Slight taste/feel of rye is noticeable, especially lingering -- seems to cut the citrusy hops a bit with a certain dryness. Nice balance; crisp, clean and very tasty.

M: Smooth and creamy with good carbonation lending a crisp, drying feel to it. Body is lighter than medium in heft.

D: Excellent. Goes down VERY easily -- I think I drank two of these in under 30 minutes. (740 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

I like pale ales and this one has a subtle uniqueness to it that I can"t quite place. It has a nice sweet bitter balance and stays lively for quite sime time in a glass. I think it also has a little tangy bite the blends in well. I could drink this beer as a thirst quenching brew. One of my favorite styles. Can't wait till MM gets it on tap shortly. (351 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

Had no idea of this brewery, and thanks to a trade from RustyDiamond, I am now thankfull and a fan. I am a huge american pale ale fan, love sierra to death, but this gives it a run for the money. Overall has the smooth citrusy hop notes of a sierra pale ale, but is much smoother on the finish and a bit easier to drink. Big up's to these guys, I will be telling more people about these guys on the west coast. (410 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +13%

A: Orange yellow/ yellow ocher, no head, foam disappeared faster than a sprite but was a yellowish color. Bubbles cling to the inside of the glass. Some cloud, well carbonated.

S: Linseed oil, spicy, orange candy, some sort of chemical like in an oil, Das.

T: Follows the nose. Linseed oil, orange, spice, oil chemical scent. Lemon peel.

M: Medium bready body, medium high carbonation, dry finnish.

O: Very unique, worth a try. I like its dry quality, and it has a cool bottle. Would go well with lemon desserts, lemon merangue, lemon squares, etc. (552 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +13%

A sensation session beer. Just the right amount of rye to make it unique and interesting, but not too much of anything.

12oz bottle received in a trade poured into a Sam Adams tasting glass. Not much of a head - makes me worry about age. Clear gold color. Nose has some hard-edged malt - not hop-led like (say) a Sierra Nevada Pale, but not mellow or sweet, either.

Taste is wonderful. All sorts of grain dancing on the tongue, some weight and thickness to the texture, hangs around a bit, almost overstays its welcome. Hops add character, but aren't the showcase given the bitter malt. Begs for a follow-on sip.

One of my favorite pales. Like no other. (665 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Glad to see this beer in bottles because I enjoyed it so much when I got to try it from the tap. Even if I had to be in Atlanta to take some home.

I poured this one out into a standard tumbler pint glass. The body is an orangish shade of amber, and slightly hazy. The head starts out somewhat robust but falls rather quickly into a thin cap of foam. Sparse bottle-conditioned carbonation stumbles languidly to the top of this beer to support it.

I love the smell on this beer, crisp with a variety of hop smells. Big citrus rind and tangerine scent, smells of pine as well. The malt is solid and sweet smelling but seems to be softened up a little bit by the rye.

I’ve noticed some reviews mention that this is a lot harsher in bottled form. I don’t pick up on that myself. Possibly the initial batches were rushed out without proper time for conditioning. Initially the malts play mildy sweet and smoothly across my palate. As it crosses the middle of my tongue it seems to become a bit more tangible in it’s malt flavor. Next the hop flavors run the full circle, citrus, tangerine, pine, and grassy flavors. It finishes crisp and refreshing with just the teeny-tiniest hint of dryness. Not a single off or out of line flavor crosses my tongue from this magical little beer. The mouthfeel is a tad thin and the carbonation is very soft.

This beer is robustly hoppy, yet it still possesses a sense of mildness and balance. A beautiful thing and probably my favorite southern brewed beer. Much respect to Terrapin Beer Co. for this masterpiece. (1,558 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +13.2%

I first rated this one about a year and a half ago long before I developed my taste for hops. (Which began about 6 months ago). Since I have now become nearly chemically dependant on hops, I figured I'd give this another go, and boy am I glad I did. This poured wonderfully! A beautiful slightly hazy golden orange with a lovely 2 and a half finger white head which really hung around for a while. Heavy, sticky lacing dresses the sides of the glass. The smell is powerfully citrusy hoppy. To the same style of Hercules DIPA, but not nearly as strong, of course. Smells absolutely delicious! The taste is hops almost all the way through. Citrusy as it washes over your tongue, then turning pine like. The only malt that shows up does so in the after taste. Not exactly what I would call balanced, but for what it is, it's delicious and I like it. Mouthfeel is great. appropriately carbonated for the style, and a good weight for what it is. As for drinkability, this is extremely sessionable. I could drink this all night!! Funny how our tastes change over time, eh?
Blessed Be
-SS (1,083 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

First off, thanks to Dustin from Terrapin for alowing us to dry this great beer from Terapin, it was a pleasure to drink this in your presence haha.

Ok...so this beer is beautiful up front. It is dark and rich in color. THere is a nice almond head to it.

The nose is very nice on this beer. It is sweet and hoppy while striking smooth rye malt notes thoughout. It is well rounded and not biased to really any style.

The tast is a little tart, quite hoppy, and has a nice malt rounding taste and smoot malty mouth feel. It is very clean and very well balanced. (563 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: orange in color with a thick 3" head that lasts for several minutes. Nice lacing develops during the session. Slowly rising carbonation bubbles and the thick head makes this beer look great.

Smell: orange citrus and some grassy tones are the strongest tones, while hints of caramel are softer on the nose.

Taste: grainy malt sweetness, oranges, grass, and a decent bitterness make up a refreshing ale that sports a bit of a dry finish.

Mouthfeel: crisp throughout with a bit of graininess. Medium bodied beer.

Drinkability: it's wonderfully easy to consume this beer. Definitely find this on tap if you can. (633 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Luckily my job requires I travel from time to time. When in Gulf Shores, AL I was able to came across this beer that thought I had to try it.

12oz bottle poured. Sampled during December and January. Reviewed 2/2/08.

Appearance: Clear coppery pour, steady carbonation, a thin head that fades fast, a little lacing.

Smell: Rye with a earthy herbal aroma.

Taste: A citrus flavor (not overpowering) with a nice rye flavor coming in.

Mouth feel: Crisp. Clean. Good balance with the carbonation.

Drinkability: I like it. Easy to drink. I wish I had picked up more than just one six pack. I'm really curious about their Wake & Bake Stout. I know I'll be keeping an eye out for this one in my travels. (702 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Since terrapins are well known banjo virtuosos, alcohol production assuming comes natural. After a sip, my expectations are confirmed.

Taste: Sweet malty, citrus beeswax smack in the first 1/4 second. Quickly followed by a recognized but relaxed spiciness resembling hot pepper and sharp honey. Rye seems to take the bitter hop place leaving lupulin to balance the teeter inconspicuously for a bright -can't wait to sip again- taste.

Appearance: Dusty goldenrod, pale, lighter for RPA's. Thin head, light lacing.

Mouthfeel: Drinkable. Not too viscus, not a bit watery.

While driving keep a sharp eye out for turtles, we want this Rye Pale Ale around much longer. (670 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A gift from a coworker in Georgia, I doubt it was too fresh but it didn't seem to affect it.

Pours a clear orangey color with light head and little lacing. The smell is citrusy and piney with bready notes in the background.

Solid malt flavor up front with rye present but not overpowering. Hoppier than expected with a wonderful piney citrus hop flavor. The rye adds a little something to it, even though it would still be a solid APA without it.

Very smooth mouthfeel with medium body and light carbonation.

This is a VERY drinkable beer... I could drink several of these, either with pizza or burgers, or on its own. I wish this beer was available in Illinois, and would love to try Terrapin's other offerings. (716 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +14%

Pours a clear brilliant copper color, minimal head or retention. Aroma is light, yet citrus hops. Flavor is well balanced, but leaning toward the hoppy side, which is nice. Mouthfeel is great, a touch on the thick side which is pleasant. Greatly drinkable. Now, if I could only find it around here.... (301 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +14%

I had the beer on tap at Brixx in Charlotte for $1.50...what a deal. Color was dark gold with an excellent head and lacing. Taste and smell was very good with citrus & hops and enjoyable...very well balanced. Would no doubt have again and enjoy, a good solid brew. (264 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +14%

Man, what an awesome session beer. This is one hell of a pale ale.

I can't expound on how this beer looks or smells any better than anyone else.

Wonderfully citrusy/piney taste to this perfectly balanced by the rye malts. This would be the perfect summertime hanging out beer but it tastes damn good here in December as well.

I am loving the fact that this brewery is licensed now and working full steam. (409 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +14%

Winters in South Carolina are short, but that first 65 degree February day is still very welcome...time to finish up the porters and stouts and move on to the crisp, hoppy beers that complement our long, hot summers.

Terrapin Rye is a staple in my fridge. Pours a pale orange with a thin head that laces nicely. Smells of rye, hops, apricots and orange peel. Just a fantastic rye taste that doesn't thin-out or dissipate as so many others do....the rye lingers on the palate and is a delight on a hot day. Carbonation is notably more pronounced than the winter brews I've been enjoying, and I'm glad for it...goes well with a sunny day. I usually have a one beer limit, but this stuff always tempts me to drink another. Well-balanced and very nice indeed! (756 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

I enjoyed this one on tap in Atlanta, over a year ago, and was quite impressed. Found a six pack in Asheville, NC, July 11, 2005, and regret not buying more.
Appearance: Pours a clear amber body with a small offwhite head that hangs around for several minutes before depositing some generous patches of lace all over my pint glass.
Aroma: Exceptional nose, with peppery rye grain, grapefruit, and pine sap hops, atop a solid caramel malt base. Fresh Mandarin orange accents add to an enticing bouquet.
Mouthfeel: Good carbonation atop a medium body, with a spicy rye grain bite on the tongue.
Taste: Full bodied flavors abound, with a surprising complexity. Peppered rye bread is prominent, and is complimented by an array of malt and hop notes. Pink grapefruit, orange, and a hint of sweet, fresh peaches blend exceedingly well with the rye and other malty and hop flavors. The fruity hops meld so well with the grainy rye. Finishes with an ideal rye grainy note that goes well with the fruity hops.
Drinkability: This is one of the better rye ales out there. Very well balanced, and very tasty. I could have this one as a daily session ale if I were an everyday drinker. I highly recommend this one! (1,206 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

Huge thanks to kkipple for the bottle.

Appearance: It pours a slightly hazy, light copper color. A very attractive vanilla colored, two finger head sits atop. Retention was excellent. Very persistent in its desire to stick around. Huge sheets of lace lined the glass.

Smell: A strong hop aroma starts it off nicely. There's a good mix of pine and citric qualities. Grapefruit and pineapple aromas are sweet and refreshing. There's a nice earthy, grainy smell probably attributed to the addition of rye. There's a little bit of malt that's appreciable in the nose. But, it takes a back seat to the strong hop presence. Very lively, nice smelling beer.

Taste: It's actually a little sweet and malty up front. Hops don't waste anytime spoiling that party. Hops feature an impressive array of flavors. There's some pine, citric, and earthy qualities. They're very flavorful and provide an excellent bitter flavor to this beer. Part of the earthy/grainy aspect has to be attributable to the Rye, but it's not overpowering in any way. It's merely a role player. But, an impressive performance nonetheless. It suspect is provides that slightly spicy bite that emerges late. It finishes a little dry and bitter.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It features a medium body and is all around relatively smooth. Carbonation is a little high and negates some of the smooth feel. But, not enough to make it unpleasant. Drinkability is very high. Perfect session beer. I could drink a ton of this stuff.

Terrapin's got a winner with this one. There's nothing material to complain about. It really is an all around fine beer. I'd love to have this available in Ohio. It'd be a staple in my fridge if that was the case. Since it's not, I'll have to extend my gratitude to Dan for sending me another fine beer. Highly recommended. (1,808 characters)

Terrapin Rye Pale Ale from Terrapin Beer Company