2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Terrapin Rye Pale Ale - Terrapin Beer Company

Terrapin Rye Pale AleTerrapin Rye Pale Ale

good

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.30% ABV

Brewed with 10% rye, but an APA at heart.

(Beer added by: aracauna on 09-09-2002)
View: Beers (39) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Terrapin Rye Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,385 | Reviews: 738 | Show All Ratings:
SteelerNation

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

The first rye beer I have tried.

A: The head is very disappointing. Ironically, the lacing is very good. Crystal clear light brown color.

S: Wonderful American Pale ale hop aroma. Beautifully citrusy and fruity smell.

T: The balance between hop bitterness and the rye profile is excellent. The hops are delicate yet complex with lots of citrus fruit flavors. The rye imparts a spicy and unique malted profile. I'm having a hard time descibing it, but it has a spicier and more powerfull grainyness to it. Like regular malter barley but with more ooomph!

M: A little bit watery and light. The wateriness gives of the impression of adjuncts being used in the brew.

D: Very, very drinkable.

I like the rye malt profile and the smooth hops in this beer a lot more than I thought I would. This beer is a too watery to be truly great. If it were less watery with a better head it would be an all time favorite.

02-17-2011 17:05:17 | More by SteelerNation
djwilson

3.38/5  rDev -11.1%

poured out of a bottle into hourglass beer glass.
Poured a nice hazy golden color with creamy white head.
Aroma had hints of light citrus hops with caramel undertones, maybe a hint of grapefruit not really getting the rye.
Overall I felt this beer was a pretty average Rye Pale not as good as Hop Rod Rye from Bear Republic but still a quality beer. Could have several of these beers and not be tired of the flavor.

11-24-2008 00:17:06 | More by djwilson
edrachman

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Bought the beer to tailgate at a football game and then took a few home for a formal tasting.

Appearance is a syrupy copper hay color. Completely translucent, but hazy transparency.

I couldn't really smell the rye; to me, the smell was the least impressive characteristic. Had a fresh earthy scent.

I found the taste very nice. Could taste the grassy hops and possibly the dryness of the rye.

The beer is very smooth in the mouth - carbonation you can taste but fades away leaving the hops. I found the beer very drinkable; I will buy again.

10-30-2010 02:45:19 | More by edrachman
rocketmotor

4.28/5  rDev +12.6%

Served from a bottle 3 months before best enjoyed date. Ok appearance, orangish color with yeast present from bottle conditioning.

Smells of citrus hops and yeast and a slight floral scent. Smell is dominated by yeast and reminds me of a homebrew, probably too much by strict style guidelines, but I like it. Could use more hop aroma IMO.

Tastes first of woody hops, light malt, yeast, and hop bitterness (in that order) with the nice spicy addition of the rye just after the woody hops. Ends with a nice sweetness and mellow hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is of natural carbonation and the rye, a nice fullness without being too heavy. I think the yeast is also adding some body too.

Very drinkable, this is a great beer. I wish I could get it in Illinois.

02-09-2007 06:56:56 | More by rocketmotor
Samichlaus

Rhode Island

4.45/5  rDev +17.1%

Recieved in trade from StormKing47, thanks Josh!
12oz bottle poured into Allagash flute. From notes.

A: Pours a translucent honey-orange with a nice bubbly white head.

S: Spicy rye, and biscuit malts. Nice sweetness and a piney hop character.

T: Nice rye spicyness. Pine and grass notes. Bready malt character. Finishes dry.

M: Nice, high, champagne like carbonation. Medium body. Smooth and dry.

D: Very drinkable. I usually don't even try APA's cuz they seem boring to me but I was intrigued by the rye. This blew me away. Even though this isn't the craziest beer I've had it really upped the ante for APA's. Never thought I would be giving a pale ale an A!?!?!

04-25-2010 15:28:50 | More by Samichlaus
6thomas3

4.18/5  rDev +10%

Appearance - Bold burnt amber hue with strong head retention the color of sea foam, ample sud-lacing against my glass, a moderate amount of carbonation bubbles sway as they creep closer to the top of my glass; bubbles appear to cross a certain threshold and accelerate

Smell - Earthy fragrances of clay mixed with an unknown spice trapped against subtle hints of fruit

Taste - Brilliant bread and yeast flavor with pockets of delicate spice and chalk

Mouthfeel - No gumminess, wonderful smoothness, and finishing with a bit of dryness (urging you to drink more)

Overall - Potential session beer with excellent drinkability and taste

04-23-2011 17:48:07 | More by 6thomas3
FungusBrewer

4.4/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Since terrapins are well known banjo virtuosos, alcohol production assuming comes natural. After a sip, my expectations are confirmed.

Taste: Sweet malty, citrus beeswax smack in the first 1/4 second. Quickly followed by a recognized but relaxed spiciness resembling hot pepper and sharp honey. Rye seems to take the bitter hop place leaving lupulin to balance the teeter inconspicuously for a bright -can't wait to sip again- taste.

Appearance: Dusty goldenrod, pale, lighter for RPA's. Thin head, light lacing.

Mouthfeel: Drinkable. Not too viscus, not a bit watery.

While driving keep a sharp eye out for turtles, we want this Rye Pale Ale around much longer.

01-10-2013 05:56:24 | More by FungusBrewer
Callaghan

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

First off, I don't normally like Pale Ales...but since this is a somewhat local brew, and it was recommended to me by a friend, I figured I would try it.

It was poured vigorously into a room temp. mug. Best by date of Jan, week 2, and I would assume this was 2012, as I could not find a year on it.

A: Very little head, 1 finger maybe, and I basically dumped it into the mug. This is the second beer of a six pack I am reviewing. Basically, no lacing on the mug, spotty at best. Color is a pleasant golden hue; dull, hazy sunshine when held up to the light. The head died very quickly, and left a millimeter thin film of bubbles.

S: Citrus and pale malts, I don't notice any rye. Smells clean, if that makes sense. Mild, which I think is nice.

T: Grapefruit right away, but gives way quickly the other flavors. A lot of malts, but that is to be expected. Nicely balanced with the citrus, then hops and rye on the finish. As it warms up a little, I noticed a little spiciness in the middle. This wasn't noticeable when poured cold straight from the fridge.

M: This beer feels a little light on the tongue, but finishes nice. Medium-light body. Good carbonation keeps it dancing, but it's smooth going down the hatch.

O: I could easily put a few of these away, and the taste just urges you to crack open another one. Like I stated earlier, I don't normally like PA's, but I would buy this again.

08-27-2011 04:42:45 | More by Callaghan
jc85

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance- Poured a nice golden color with a finger of white frothy head.

Smell- Nice citrus, and spice smell, a bit of hops aroma.

Taste- Good citrus and hops mix right at the beginning. Not overerly bitter, and some nice spice from the rye.

Mouthfeel- Light to medium bodied, not sticky or overerly carbonated.

Drinkability- Goes down fairly smooth, nice kick back and drink beer.

02-12-2011 16:45:06 | More by jc85
nosurrender23

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Our club gave this beer an A.

"Delightful Pale Ale - Somethings don't need to be explained."

The beer pours with an apple juice like appearance (similar to dehydrated urine) with little head and heavy carbonation.

However, the smell is "citrusy" pale ale that has a slightly stronger hoppy smell almost like an IPA smell.

In the mouth, the beer is very light and smooth and would be a good tailgating beer.

The taste is like a smoother, lighter Stone Pale ale, very nice, lots of after taste (think of a "citrusy" pale ale that contains hops from fields tended by goateed turtles) and would go well with fruity pebbles cereal.

Drinking wise, the pale ale is smooth and easy to drink. Hoppy or not hoppy is the question!

02-25-2011 01:37:47 | More by nosurrender23
boldcity2008

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

A: orange in color with a 2" head that lasts for several minutes. Nice lacing develops during the session. Slowly rising carbonation bubbles and the thick head makes this beer look great.

S: orange citrus and some grassy tones are the strongest tones, while hints of caramel malt.

T: grainy malt sweetness, oranges, grass, and a decent bitterness make up a refreshing ale that sports a bit of a dry finish.

M: crisp and tart. Medium bodied beer.

D: fantastic and could drink this all day and night and have drank many 6 packs in 1 night.

10-16-2008 21:03:29 | More by boldcity2008
hiphopipa

Maine

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Thanks to Ivanwho for sending a couple of these along in the Refreshing Summer BIF.
Poured into a Victory Brewing tulip.
Clear and bright orange, with a head that quickly dissipates to leaving a bit of lace around the glass.
Full aroma that is very sweet from the malts.
Taste is crisp and spicy, primarily bready malt with a subtle citrus hop finish, floral notes linger.
Overall, smooth and easy to drink.

06-25-2011 20:38:20 | More by hiphopipa
DustinPowers74

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Pours an amber color with a small head. Sweet floral hop aroma. Rye and hops combine in the taste to make a bitter but pleasant experience, followed by a sweet finish. While this a fairly serviceable pale ale, it's not the best I have ever had, but I wouldn't tell you not to pick it up.

08-10-2011 19:26:16 | More by DustinPowers74
TheIronHammer

Alabama

Poured from bottle into a beer glass.

A: The beer is clear gold in color, and is inviting. I cannot comment on the head or lacing because of the way I poured it.

S: There is a strong but not overpowering hops aroma which is pleasant. In the background there is a fruit aroma, maybe apple. It isn't the kind of upfront scent one gets from a fruit beer.

T: The beer has some hops to it. It is very pleasant and well incorporated. I'm getting a slight fruit taste on the backside, very pleasant as well. The rye does influence the taste, but I'm not sure how to describe it. It is pleasant as well however. The influences on the taste are well balanced.

Mf: This beer has a medium body, which I think goes with the pale ale style well. The carbonation is a little bit more than I expected, but it doesn't detract. Overall, this beer has good mouthfeel.

Overall: This beer is pretty well crafted. There's decent complexity and the balance is pretty good. It was enjoyable to drink and I'll buy it again in the future.

09-26-2011 18:07:06 | More by TheIronHammer
merzeone

Iowa

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

12 oz Bottle Tasted after Lunch(Chicken Sandwich) Purchased 10/11

A: Light Golden small Head minimal lacing

AR: Spicy/Sweet Rye Aroma, Minimal Floral Hops

T: Rye spice, Bread, Biscuit little hop flavor other than bitterness at the end.Very malt forward the rye is definitely the focus on this apa.

M: light good carbonation Dry Finish for a rye that is weird expected it to be a little more sticky.

O: First Impression not a huge fan the more it warms up the better it actually gets still refreshing. Its main focus seems to be the Rye(which it is a Rye Pale Ale) however was expecting it to be a touch more balanced with hops. Not my favorite Rye Pale but still very drinkable wouldn't complain if someone handed me one.
Cheers

10-11-2011 18:39:18 | More by merzeone
BrewitYerself

3.05/5  rDev -19.7%

Served at 35 deg F., allowed to warm slowly through the sampling process, poured into pint glass.

No head to speak of; pours a bright gold with a slight amber hue - very slight haze.

Mild aroma of toasted malt - there is a floral-fruity component that may be jointly attributable to hops and esters.

There is a nice effervescent bitterness on the tip of the tongue followed by slightly sweet, bready, slightly stale/sour malt flavors. Mild floral hop flavor. Rye flavor is mostly lacking, seems to be overpowered by crystal, munich, or something.

Mouthfeel is fairly thin; there's a bit of chewiness, but not much. Finishes with a minerally bitterness that fades into sweet malt with a slight rye spice and a hint of astringent bitterness.

I enjoy this beer; the malt seemed to me to be very slightly stale, nothing to bitch about. By the end of the glass, the rye was becoming more noticeable and I wanted another.

11-01-2009 00:57:35 | More by BrewitYerself
ItsTheLimit

3.7/5  rDev -2.6%

I'll preface this by saying I'm stupid and didn't check the freshness date on the bottle before I picked this up the other day, and it was Best Before 11/29/10, which is a shame. I think it definitely detracted from the overall enjoyment of drinking this beer, but I arranged my review bearing in mind how this beer SHOULD have come out.

A.) This is a kind of deep brownish orange, color, reeaallllyyy hazy with almost no head. The color and body are actually pretty close to an apple cider.

S.) Awesome! Lots of grassy hop and a nice spice from the rye. Deep citrus and pine and everything a beer like this should be. If anything, this smells more like a rye IPA or something, actually.

T.) Unfortunately this doesn't live up to quite the same level of awesome as the smell does. The taste is there, but it's slightly muted. This could be due to the fact that it's a slightly older bottle, however, so I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

M.) This falls slightly flat for me and could use more carbonation, but again, I'm bearing in mind that this isn't necessarily a fresh bottle. I'll bear this in mind throughout my review.

D.) Nice balanced beer with a mid-range ABV makes this a great beer for summer, fall or spring. Really refreshing with a clean finish.

03-16-2011 01:46:44 | More by ItsTheLimit
BLove

South Carolina

3.23/5  rDev -15%

Served in a traditional pint glass

A: Clear orange hue, small head lasting for a few sips
S: grapefruit/citrus, spice, caramel
T: caramel, rye spiceyness, moderate high hop citrus & bitterness from start to finish
M: pretty thin, medium carbonation
O: Eh, I usually enjoy rye beers, but this one leaves me a little disappointed.

07-26-2011 22:33:55 | More by BLove
bimish

Georgia

A - Pours with a thin, bubbly head that dissipates quickly. Very nice lacing. Hazy, light brown color.

S - Crisp, malty aroma. Rye malt apparent. Hop aroma faint.

T - Light, malty flavor. Rye flavors are a nice offset to the sweeter malts. Hop flavors are piney and resiny, not overpowering. Well balanced beer IMO.

M - Medium body, very smooth. Fairly high carbonation.

D - I really like this beer's drinkability. The rye flavors balance out the sweeter malts and the hop flavor compliments them well.

03-21-2009 00:06:07 | More by bimish
atlanta

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

My first review (let's drink to that!) I picked this because it is the best of the Georgia brews.There was an issue with the bottled beer but that appears to have been fixed, I heard they weren't bottling it themselves when it was bad.
I disagree that you can taste or smell the rye, I think people use their imagination too much, the rye just adds other sensations to the dryness and mouthfeel.
It is their use of hops that makes this so good. It is well balanced and drinkable, more-ish. The alcohol level is not out of drinkability range either, it just qualifies for session status.

10-10-2010 12:21:55 | More by atlanta
doppelme

3.55/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a golden body with a fluffy white head that sticks to the glass most of the way down. It smells citrusy and resiney. It has a nice hop bite at first but settles quickly back into a malty and bready ending. A classic beer in the south that can be had at any time of the year, one to have in the fridge at all times.

07-07-2011 00:13:29 | More by doppelme
masstransplant

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

Winters in South Carolina are short, but that first 65 degree February day is still very welcome...time to finish up the porters and stouts and move on to the crisp, hoppy beers that complement our long, hot summers.

Terrapin Rye is a staple in my fridge. Pours a pale orange with a thin head that laces nicely. Smells of rye, hops, apricots and orange peel. Just a fantastic rye taste that doesn't thin-out or dissipate as so many others do....the rye lingers on the palate and is a delight on a hot day. Carbonation is notably more pronounced than the winter brews I've been enjoying, and I'm glad for it...goes well with a sunny day. I usually have a one beer limit, but this stuff always tempts me to drink another. Well-balanced and very nice indeed!

02-20-2011 03:30:14 | More by masstransplant
LittleWolf

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

12 oz. bottle that has been saved from my last trip to Georgia.

Pours a thin white head that disipates quickly, leaving only a thin white rim around the edge of the glass. An up-front smell of hops is supported by a backbone of citrus notes, an aroma that always makes me eager to dive in.

The scent holds true, as the taste packs a bold hoppy punch. A balance of malt is present, but be ready for the hops to win out. There are some noticeable citrus flavors as well. A very drinkable mouthfeel, but not noteworhty. Finishes with a welcome bite to the back of the tounge and leaves a great hoppy flavor in your mouth throughout the beer.

I must say that I am biased towards Terrapin, and my review follows accordingly; the Rye Pale Ale is my sentimental favorite. A Great brewery, and this beer is one that I can drink all night enjoyably. I can't wait to go back to Georgia for more.

02-01-2006 20:44:11 | More by LittleWolf
A_Frayed_Knot

3.15/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Was first introduced to rye ale by a guy I saw at a meetup til which we'd only been acquainted online. He said rye was not just his first choice in beer but the only one he bothered to drink where it was served around his home in Williamsburg NY. His strong opinion intrigued me but I'm rarely prompted to select a rye except when I see it, and I'm reminded of his passion for rye, and as I've enjoyed Terrapin brews in the past I figured I would reapproach it now for another sampling.

Honestly, after a couple of these last night I wondered why I found the flavor overall too "light," supposing I was used to my more hoppy preference of IPA. There is grain but not the ultimate delivery of grain. I would have rather it came across more robust. Yet this evening as I returned from work not really looking forward to polishing off another bite of it I found instead it wasn't so bad, especially with a dinner of chicken cobbler and sauteed zucchini. My conclusion is this is a beer to accompany a hot meal on a cold night, but not necessarily a "destination brew."

11-13-2013 02:01:52 | More by A_Frayed_Knot
summerlightning

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured into a chilled pint glass. Bright golden color with 1 1/2 finger head that lingers as well as the lace on the glass. A noticeable hop aroma, but not overwhelming. There is a hint of rye as well. Nice mix of malty and hoppy taste with average carbonation that makes for a nice well rounded beer. It was much better than I thought it would be and certainly would (did) have another.

01-22-2009 02:05:54 | More by summerlightning